• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mk 13 Mod 0 stock

Wasnā€™t someone in here had original barrels/collars and had plans to scan/measure them and make reproductions for cloners?
These collars are works of art. Fit and finish are phenomenal
Screenshot_20201219-175419.png
Screenshot_20201219-175434.png
Screenshot_20201219-175447.png
Screenshot_20201219-175459.png

Still working on it I have a original mod3 take off barrel I already reversed all the measurements I have the cnc programs, and proper materials ready to go, family issues have gotten in the way over the past 6 months. When I get the project rolling I will offer turning the crown, barrel profile and collar heat fit and pinned to the barrel then final turned concentric to the bore center line just like crane did. They will not have the gate latch cuts so the suppressor can be properly fit and timed after final receiver threads and torque is completed by the gun smith.
IMG_20201220_124200.jpg
IMG_20201220_124211.jpg
IMG_20201220_123501.jpg

Last edited:
The gate cuts break into the barrel ( you can see the shadow of where the gate latch breaks into the barrel, crane final turned the collar to the bore center line after the collar was heat fit and pinned, the gate latch cuts and suppressor alignment pin were cut after the barrel was installed you can see the straw color on the back of the collar from when it was heat shrink fit to the barrel and the dowel pin was turned with the collar already fit
(seen by of the shadow of the collar retaining pin finished turned with the barrel).
IMG_20201220_131138.jpg
IMG_20201220_131150.jpg
IMG_20201220_131204.jpg

Someone on ARFCOM just posted pics of the Mod 5 he got back from Alan Brown. This barrel is absolute trash and nowhere near spec. Another example of 2.5 years and a ton of money down the drain.
Sorry for bringing up an old wound, but I just saw this and decided to make a confirming post about a similar experience. Unfortunately, my issue was back in 2011 with him and a pre-MK13-ish (aka - 700/300) rifle I had him build. This included a Crane-spec Lilja barrel, Clements-lug (the L-lug), and it went into a McMillan A5 instead of an A2 with a Badger M5 DBM. I also had him profile it for my OpsInc 3rd Model. I did this build thru Kevin O'Neill at HCS, who I sourced my 12th Model can from. Kevin was great thru the whole ordeal.

When I got the rifle 1/19/2012 (sent the parts to him July 2011, with an 8 week build promise since he "wasn't all that busy"), I was VERY disappointed. He insisted on making the lug instead of using one I had sourced directly from Crane years before when I was active duty. He offered to make things right, but I just did NOT trust him to touch it.

The lug was horribly not concentric to the receiver and when installed, wasn't correctly timed to 6-o'clock:
300wm_lug_bottom[1].jpg

When he bedded it, he bedded under the lug but not the recoil face (???) and there was no pillar for the lug bedding screw:
lug_no_pillar[1].jpg

The muzzle had nicks and dings:
muzzle_2[1].jpg

He installed the AI rail underneath with machine screws into the fiberglass instead of t-nuts and for whatever reason, he actually had the rail installed backwards, with the install-opening toward the muzzle (??):
forend_1[1].jpg

forend_2[1].jpg

And he made a bolt knob that threaded into the bolt handle instead of using the Badger knob I SENT HIM (his knob at top, Badger on bottom):
knobs[1].jpg

I took me about a month to fix everything but the lug. When I had Alex Sitman at Master Class Stocks re-bed it, he said it may or may not need to be re-clocked and it depended on how it bedded in. It ended up a solid 5/8-3/4 moa rifle, so I never changed it. When I sold the rifle, I gave the buyer the WHOLE story on it and also gave him the actual Crane lug, just in case he wanted to swap it:
300wm_can[1].jpg

Fast forward to 2017 and I had the itch to do another 300WM. This time, I had RW Snyder do it, much more as a custom build than a clone. Still with the OpsInc profile, and still with a Crane lug (I had another made to CAD drawings I did based on my original. This time in a Manners T4A and he used a CIP-length bottom metal and mags so I could chase lands ... LOL. I provided him a 721 action. His work is impeccable. This is a solid 1/2moa rifle with FGMM190 or my 208ELD-M loads:
Is5G2w5[1].jpg

So I am sorry you had your experience and the bad experiences others had. I know I had PMd a couple guys about AJ Brown and my issues with him based on a couple less-than-positive comments I made about having him do a MK13. I guess I should have made a general post, but didn't want to face accusations of liable and possibly damage his business from my one bad experience.

Sorry for bringing up an old wound, but I just saw this and decided to make a confirming post about a similar experience. Unfortunately, my issue was back in 2011 with him and a pre-MK13-ish (aka - 700/300) rifle I had him build. This included a Crane-spec Lilja barrel, Clements-lug (the L-lug), and it went into a McMillan A5 instead of an A2 with a Badger M5 DBM. I also had him profile it for my OpsInc 3rd Model. I did this build thru Kevin O'Neill at HCS, who I sourced my 12th Model can from. Kevin was great thru the whole ordeal.

When I got the rifle 1/19/2012 (sent the parts to him July 2011, with an 8 week build promise since he "wasn't all that busy"), I was VERY disappointed. He insisted on making the lug instead of using one I had sourced directly from Crane years before when I was active duty. He offered to make things right, but I just did NOT trust him to touch it.

The lug was horribly not concentric to the receiver and when installed, wasn't correctly timed to 6-o'clock:
300wm_lug_bottom[1].jpg

When he bedded it, he bedded under the lug but not the recoil face (???) and there was no pillar for the lug bedding screw:
lug_no_pillar[1].jpg

muzzle_2[1].jpg

He installed the AI rail underneath with machine screws into the fiberglass instead of t-nuts and for whatever reason, he actually had the rail installed backwards, with the install-opening toward the muzzle (??):
forend_1[1].jpg

forend_2[1].jpg

And he made a bolt knob that threaded into the bolt handle instead of using the Badger knob I SENT HIM (his knob at top, Badger on bottom):
knobs[1].jpg

I took me about a month to fix everything but the lug. When I had Alex Sitman at Master Class Stocks re-bed it, he said it may or may not need to be re-clocked and it depended on how it bedded in. It ended up a solid 5/8-3/4 moa rifle, so I never changed it. When I sold the rifle, I gave the buyer the WHOLE story on it and also gave him the actual Crane lug, just in case he wanted to swap it:
300wm_can[1].jpg

Fast forward to 2017 and I had the itch to do another 300WM. This time, I had RW Snyder do it, much more as a custom build than a clone. Still with the OpsInc profile, and still with a Crane lug (I had another made to CAD drawings I did based on my original. This time in a Manners T4A and he used a CIP-length bottom metal and mags so I could chase lands ... LOL. I provided him a 721 action. His work is impeccable. This is a solid 1/2moa rifle with FGMM190 or my 208ELD-M loads:
Is5G2w5[1].jpg

So I am sorry you had your experience and the bad experiences others had. I know I had PMd a couple guys about AJ Brown and my issues with him based on a couple less-than-positive comments I made about having him do a MK13. I guess I should have made a general post, but didn't want to face accusations of liable and possibly damage his business from my one bad experience.
none of your pics came through

300wm_lug_bottom[1].jpg

lug_no_pillar[1].jpg

muzzle_2[1].jpg

forend_1[1].jpg

forend_2[1].jpg

knobs[1].jpg

300wm_can[1].jpg

Is5G2w5[1].jpg

It's not your fault man, I wouldn't worry about it. There were plenty of other people singing his praises for a long time. USMCSGTS initial post on ARFCOM of a friends butchered mod 2 came shortly after I finally got my parts back after 3 years of nothing, but based on that a friend who also got a build back from him had it fixed up by Red Bull. I'm not sure what his specific rifle had issues with other than the barrel looking like it was contoured with a dremel, but he got it redone just to feel better.

But so much for that "legendary gunsmith" as some people in here and otherwise said even after the issues came to light. Maybe too much time on safari and not enough time actually doing his job.

Wow, that's a nice line-up, and all of them look quite perfect(!). Thanks for the pic.

Reactions: 0812guns

2x NightForce 5.5-22x56 Nav Spec marked(?) scopes
4x NF marked ring caps
OPS AWP Gen 1 PSR rings
Schmidt & Bender PSR with NSN and UID
Accuracy International early tanodized Mod 7 chassis
Surefire FH762RC 4 prong flash hider
Original Mod 0 stock and Mod 5 chassis
Probably an earlier Stiller Wylie, TX receiver with full bolt fluting
Correct serial number range Mod 0 and Mod 5 receivers
Everything built to exact specs

Museum quality builds with a fuck load of rare parts! Congrats!

2x NightForce 5.5-22x56 Nav Spec marked(?) scopes
4x NF marked ring caps
OPS AWP Gen 1 PSR rings
Schmidt & Bender PSR with NSN and UID
Accuracy International early tanodized Mod 7 chassis
Surefire FH762RC 4 prong flash hider
Original Mod 0 stock and Mod 5 chassis
Probably an earlier Stiller Wylie, TX receiver with full bolt fluting
Correct serial number range Mod 0 and Mod 5 receivers
Everything built to exact specs

Museum quality builds with a fuck load of rare parts! Congrats!
Thanks, man. I couldn't be happier with them. The Mod 3 is up next!

So, do you have a favorite?
It's really hard to say. They each have their own qualities that I enjoy. The Mod 7 has really grown on me, though. Here's a couple more of that one.
yft4DiI.jpg

kywvRJz.jpg

Well, I'm officially out of Mk13 Mod 0 stocks! Thank you everyone who bought a stock (or a dozen)! It was a lot of fun being able to meet collectors and talk about these amazing pieces of history!

If you've got a Mk13 built with one of these original stocks, post a few pics for us to enjoy!

Well, I'm officially out of Mk13 Mod 0 stocks! Thank you everyone who bought a stock (or a dozen)! It was a lot of fun being able to meet collectors and talk about these amazing pieces of history!

If you've got a Mk13 built with one of these original stocks, post a few pics for us to enjoy!
Appreciate everyone in the community for sharing their experience & knowledge bringing these stocks back to life . Iā€™ll have 2 built this year! Still need glass though, lol

Reactions: USMCSGT0331

Posted earlier in this thread but here's a bump in hopes a few others post their latest and greatest
20201121_180921.jpg
20201121_181127.jpg

Now we know where all the AICS stocks went :)

Attachments

• 93974838_10221764163671047_1101698328770379776_o.jpg
    93974838_10221764163671047_1101698328770379776_o.jpg
    437.2 KB · Views: 125
  • 94259058_10221764061948504_6930358399896911872_o.jpg
    94259058_10221764061948504_6930358399896911872_o.jpg
    397.1 KB · Views: 102
  • 103483266_10222296822227178_7693386643335009422_o.jpg
    103483266_10222296822227178_7693386643335009422_o.jpg
    316.5 KB · Views: 85
  • 104631538_10222365426382239_2126770513104288407_o.jpg
    104631538_10222365426382239_2126770513104288407_o.jpg
    236.8 KB · Views: 116
On the mod 5ā€™s I see people run 1.125ā€ (a107) and 1.265ā€ (a108)

to my knowledge the 1.265ā€s are correct as they were purposely made, so that the NF optic would co-witness the PVS-30 clip on night vision. 1.265ā€ is not made in 34mm either.

1.125ā€s do look sleeker.

is it kosher to use either? Or no
The IPB shows 1.125 NF Ultralights.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210207-161628_1.png
    Screenshot_20210207-161628_1.png
    198.2 KB · Views: 88
Reactions: USMCsean
We need to scooby doo and the gang the information on these rings. Ha! I need to purchase a set before my MK13 gets back from Red Bull

We need to scooby doo and the gang the information on these rings. Ha! I need to purchase a set before my MK13 gets back from Red Bull
I literally just posted info from the technical repair standard. Not sure what "scooby doo" means, but the rings issued with the Remington Mk13 were 1.125".

Iā€™m seeing 1.265ā€™s on the larger 56mm objective scopes
I looked into this topic a while ago, and the only 'reference' that I found re the 1.265" rings was the Mk 13 Mod 3 movie gun made for American Sniper. Chris Kyle was testing a non-standard/evaluation 8-32X NF scope and the movie gun was built with 1.265" rings for whatever reason, but all other documentation states 1.125" rings were used. No expert, but that's my 2cts.

UPDATE: So post 865 below, which explains how the ring heights were gradually increased during 200X-201X due to nightvision gear and a desire to maintain centerline alignment b/t day optic and night vision gear.

Attachments

• Mk 13_movie_rifle_Recoil_mag_2017.jpg
    Mk 13_movie_rifle_Recoil_mag_2017.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 431
Last edited:
I looked into this topic a while ago, and the only 'reference' that I found re the 1.265" rings was the Mk 13 Mod 3 movie gun made for American Sniper. Chris Kyle was testing a non-standard/evaluation 8-32X NF scope and the movie gun was built with 1.265" rings for whatever reason, but all other documentation states 1.125" rings were used. No expert, but that's my 2cts.
This information makes me wonder if those rings were more meant to be mated with the 32 power objective. Not sure that would make any difference. Probably a better question for some of the optics gurus. Sounds like the 1.125ā€ are the consensus rings no matter what. May or may not have had a few 1.265ā€ rings out in the wild.

the
This information makes me wonder if those rings were more meant to be mated with the 32 power objective. Not sure that would make any difference. Probably a better question for some of the optics gurus. Sounds like the 1.125ā€ are the consensus rings no matter what. May or may not have had a few 1.265ā€ rings out in the wild.
there are a few other inconsistencies with the mk13 mod 3 movie gun used in american sniper. I would not base anything off of it.

I went back to look through all my photos
> Only 1 case of 1.265 (Ben Chau's photo's of 2 rifles, which were the OG's in the mod 5 way back when, upon further comparison, 1 looked to be 1.265 and the other 1.125. With the 1.265 being closer to co-witness to the pvs-30 (small indiferences do no matter with that beast))
> A quote in another thread from SnipersHide from USMCSean
> CloneRifle's website
> I remember recalling seeing 1.265's a lot....

I checked my PDF's too... and some inventory screenshots from return cases... 1.125" is correct

Anybody want my 1.265"s? lol

I had 34mm 1.500", then bought 1.375", did research and found plethora of people saying 1.265" (prior to me obtaining the PDF's), so i settled with 1.125"s.
I did the math on them and measured my rail, cowitness for the MARS ended up being 1.250 rings or something like that, probably why i figured 1.265"s were it. But the documents above in the thread kinda defeats the case for 1.265"

Thanks
All
not doubting 1.265 lines up better from a visual perspective. MTXtwelve had 1.265 on his build too. But wanting to emulate the mil rifles , 1.125 is the way im going. Even seen a 34mm PSR scope on a mars mod 5 and it had 1.125 ops rings.

the USMC issued Mk13 Mod7 uses the LaRue Lt840H-34-0 mount and ATACR 5-25X56mm F1.

SOCOM does as SOCOM does:

arq9VFv.jpg

zqJOUtx.jpg

3pBxbtd.jpg

All of these, and others, have been shipped to SOCOM by the thousands. I'm still missing a ring height, so this is a partial collection. Books are accurate for that exact moment in time, but I can guarantee things change.

Kind of reminds me of the M40A1 welded box magazine argument. Yep, the spec in the build book says it has to be welded to the receiver. Did they weld every single one as per the manual? Nope, after a certain period of time there was no point. If you want to build a USMC spec M40A1, per book specs it has to be made with the welded box magazine. Not welding isn't to "spec," but that style was used and is "correct." Same thing with the rings, it's a snapshot in time and might not be to "spec," but it's still "correct."

That being said, when you do your build, know what era rifle you're building and what they primarily used. If you're building by the book, then build by the book. If you're building a different variant, then build that variant. One of the purposes of this thread is to track down photos and documentation of each variant. It's in advisable to put an MA361 mount on a Mod 5 that has a Horus scope, but you could use OPS AWP gen 1 PRS rings with a Schmidt & Bender 5-25x56 PSR scope. No idea if that latter combo is in the build book, but it's correct for a Stiller Mod 5.

Use your best judgment, find documentation of use, build your clone. I'm not trying to muddy the waters, we can't use a random combo and declare it as "correct." Let's analyze some photos of what they used and create an acceptable, known combination list for these parts (what's in the build manual and beyond it).

Rereading some of the shit I wrote, it sounds like one long fucking platitude. Don't know if I actually gave any info or if it's complete non-partisan nonsense, lol. As with most things in life, I blame tequila!

Last edited:
"Use your best judgment, find documentation of use, build your clone. I'm not trying to muddy the waters, we can't use a random combo and declare it as "correct." Let's analyze some photos of what they used and create an acceptable, known combination list for these parts (what's in the build manual and beyond it)."
This is exactly it. We shouldnt look at parts in a vacuum but rather at the rifle as a whole or at parts combinations as you said. I try and set my stuff with a specific branch at a specific time.

Documented combinations I have from my images for NXS:

Navy
Remington / Mars
5.5-22x56mm Nav-Spec
NF 1.125 - Old Logo Rings

09580afa0a1b4ced517b3b7f495c766c.jpg

Army
3.5-15x50mm Army-Spec / USASFC
NF 1.125 - Old Logo Rings

107593823_3665177010163189_3786720585134001380_n.jpg

Later Army
3.5-15x50mm HS MRAD MilSpec
NF non logo

36710519.jpg

(notice last 4x stamped on bolt handle)
signal-2021-02-10-193156.jpeg

Less common stuff:
arms (USNGUNS pic)
120199539_797748181039692_8608477631930168703_n.jpg

Look to Badger w/ 6/4hole
YQfpDXM.jpg

Badger
image2-4.jpg

Rings / Mounts w/ other optics packages

Larue
dsc00277.jpg

07092018z5-604038.jpg

349604.jpg

Looks to be badger w/ Simrad. Likely lifted off another weapons system. (m110/mk11 perhaps)
6zOrIiw.jpg

another
f703918fc104.jpg

Premier w/ badgers
122249703_680288502608749_3539525156032923546_n.jpg

Horus Falcon w/ 6 hole - unknown brand
081a1462.jpg

Seekins
079966835b69911169c25e343cb1f6f9.jpg

MK6?
130316026_3679945742062491_2734841167665059686_n.gif

Ops 1.125
141346501_1336920423325466_672858934881664275_n.png

Wow, those are some great photos(!). Thanks for posting.

I reached out to The Source, who confirmed that rings changed over time based on the development of nightvision gear over the past 15 years. The original rings circa 2005 were the low ones 1.125" - but over time they got higher and NF 1.375"rings were used with certain NV optics like the PVS-22. It was all about finding the proper centerline b/t the day optic and whatever nightvision optic was being issued. From the expert:

"For flat rail weapons like Mod7 and Mod5 with the iMUNs, you use 1.5ā€ rings or if LaRue use the 1.535ā€ Depends on the user and which SB PMII scope you use or which Component Command you want to copy. Most long range clip-ons are 1.5ā€ centerline. The ARMY wanted 1.535ā€ as the was SOPMOD/WPNAC height. Close enough for most applications.

Before PSR, they wanted rings that would allow the lowest centerline, however with the advent of clip-ons starting with the PVS-22 (which was about 1.38ā€ if I recall) they gradually got taller and settled on the 1.5ā€.

For the NF 5.5-22x56, pre clip-on, we ended up with 1.375ā€ rings. For the longest time, 1.125 was the tallest on the SR25 and MK11. About the same time as PVS-22/INOD, the MDNS was being developed (finally the PVS-24)...SOCOM settled on the 1.535ā€ centerline for optics."

Bottomline: There was variation over time, so a Mk 13 Mod 0 or Mod 3 built in 2005 would likely use the 1.125" NF rings, but a Mod 5 built in 2010 for use with PVS-22 could have used 1.375" NF rings since that provides the proper centerline alignment. Moreover, a few years later a Mod 5 or Mod 7 built say in 2015 or 2016 for use with a PVS-26 or PVS-30 could use 1.5" rings. (The source didn't tell me what year the ring height for 'flat rail' rifles was standardized at 1.5" (or 1.535" to be hyper precise), but the ring choice for a replica Mk 13 Mod x really depends on what NV gear was being used for a Component Command, what daytime scope was being used, and what year the rifle was made... If one isn't going to spend all the coin($) to try and obtain the proper NV gear for whatever era one is seeking to replicate, then I would use whatever rings work best from an ergonomic perspective. (typically lower). My 2cts.

Last edited: