• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

MK12 MOD-0 LETS SEE EM!

Re: MK12 MOD-0 LETS SEE EM!

Agreed it was a find. I haven't scoped the bore with anything other than my eyeball but it looks good. I can't see any evidence of throat erosion. It doesn't shoot as good as I'd hoped it would. It hovers between 3/4 and 1 moa depending on how tight I hold. Though I'm not sure what is a realistic expectation for one of these when new either. One thing that is impressive though is this setup with the ops inc can. Very quite.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Norseman1950</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Agreed it was a find. I haven't scoped the bore with anything other than my eyeball but it looks good. I can't see any evidence of throat erosion. It doesn't shoot as good as I'd hoped it would. It hovers between 3/4 and 1 moa depending on how tight I hold. Though I'm not sure what is a realistic expectation for one of these when new either. One thing that is impressive though is this setup with the ops inc can. Very quite. </div></div>

I think you're pretty close or in the right ballpark as far as accuracy, my new build hovers in the 3/4 range but can get 1/2 MOA if the loading is right and I drink a tall glass of shoot better beforehand. Gonna paint and scuff up the ARMS rail to get more of a match with the rest of the gun?

Probably not. I'm not sure why that ARMS rail nor the front sight wasn't coated. I'm going to leave it as I found it. If you take a look at the front sight it's an old version(you can tell by the elevation wheel) of the PRI flip up that has been discontinued due to accusations of patent infringment on some french design. Also, the ARMS rail and pri free float tube are both early designs. Came with a Colt bolt group, an A1 style teardrop forward assist, and an Armalite upper receiver. I wish the thing could talk...

one of the guys at badger just aquired one of these from crane as well, how do i not find these things?

Edwin, Beautiful...
Currently the only other AR "I want". I just love the design.

-T

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Norseman1950</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Agreed it was a find. I haven't scoped the bore with anything other than my eyeball but it looks good. I can't see any evidence of throat erosion. It doesn't shoot as good as I'd hoped it would. It hovers between 3/4 and 1 moa depending on how tight I hold. Though I'm not sure what is a realistic expectation for one of these when new either. One thing that is impressive though is this setup with the ops inc can. Very quite. </div></div>

I think 3/4" to 1" @ 100y is very good. I have heard that the mod 1 holds around 1.25" @ 100yd new out the box, so 3/4" is gravy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: johngfoster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have heard that the mod 1 holds around 1.25" @ 100yd new out the box, so 3/4" is gravy.</div></div>
It's the same CLE turned Douglas barrel.

I would expect a Frank White barrel to do better than 1" with proper ammunition. He makes match guns. My own CLE/Douglas .22LR Mod 0 shoots 50yd groups down to 3/8" with $6 ammunition. And that's with me on the trigger.

Nice piece of history you have there. Enjoy it.

I'd like to thank all of you that have shared your toys. I'd like to ask if this Mod 0 example be put to a .308 build? If so is there a blog that list what parts are still availble and which parts work with each other. I would like to copy the rifle in .308 but since I'm retired funds are slim and I like to build a project correct the frist time.
Thanks

I've actually thought about this as well. You could come close doing it in 308. ARMS rail would be a problem. Though PRI makes one that is similar in application... looks different though. Also, the PRI barrel mounted front site used on the Mod0 isn't tall enough to use with the 308 flat top uppers.

Build one and post a picture. I haven't seen one done in .308... cool project.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dangerousdan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd like to thank all of you that have shared your toys. I'd like to ask if this Mod 0 example be put to a .308 build? If so is there a blog that list what parts are still availble and which parts work with each other. I would like to copy the rifle in .308 but since I'm retired funds are slim and I like to build a project correct the frist time.
Thanks </div></div>

If funds are slim, then forget it. This is an EXPENSIVE build in 5.56mm, and I would imagine even more in .308. The 5.56mm build is over $4500 for the whole rifle (complete with scope and suppressor). Let me see if I can break down the parts for you:

Stripped Lower: about $100
Lower Parts Kit: about $70 depending on brand you use
Buttstock: $70 for an A2, but upwards of $250 if you go with the LMT Sopmod with receiver extension (buffer tube).
KAC match trigger: $320
Ergo pistol grip: $25

Upper receiver assembly : $94 (stripped upper with foreward assist and port cover)
Complete BCG: $140 (or get BC assy with gas key for $70 and separate firing pin/cam pin/FP retaining pin for about $15 IF you get a matched bolt with the barrel)
PRI Gas-Buster CH: $90
SPR contour Douglas Match barrel turned by CLE: $330 /M4 feed ramps ($385+ with matched bolt)
PRI free floated handguard: $330
Rifle length gas tube $13
PRI flip-up front sight/gas block: $180
Ops Inc 12th model suppressor (comes with collar and brake): $900 + $200 tax stamp assuming you live in a state that allows suppressors. Otherwise,
Ops Inc collar and brake: $180
ARMS #38 SPR PEQ-2-3 Swan Sleeve: $185 (if you can find one)
ARMS #40 BUIS: $105
ARMS #22 M scope rings: $120
ARMS #22 TRC: $32
ARMS #22 TRR: $19
ARMS #32 Bipod adapter: $98
Harris BRMS bipod: $105
Scope: varies by model, but $1350 for Leupold Mark 4 3.5-10 x 40 M3 ill. mil-dot. Higher for Night Force scopes

These figures are for the 5.56 x 45 chambering. Building one in .308 will be a bit more as the parts are more expensive. The .30 cal. Ops Inc 12th model runs about $50 more than the .22 cal. These prices are new prices. You can get many of the parts used or nearly new for a bit less and save some money there. Your AR-10 upper and lower receiver, and the respective BCG and parts are going to be more expensive too. A way to get around some of the challenges of the AR-10 would be to build it in 300 Whisper (300/221). This would use the same AR15 receivers as the original but it would shoot a 30 cal bullet. It would be SUPER quiet with the suppressor, which would be very nice indeed. As it is, this rifle in 5.56mm sounds like a 22LR when shooting 223 through the suppressor. It would be a fun project to see one in 30 cal.

With MK262, I get 1 MOA shift up when I take my suppressor off.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">With MK262, I get 1 MOA shift up when I take my suppressor off. </div></div>

My Mod0 shifts 0.5 MOA directly up to 12:00, as measured out to 600 meters, when the suppressor is removed, with MK262. My Douglas barrel 18" Mod1"ish" has very near 1 MOA shift under the same conditions.

NSX3.jpg

My 16" (also Krieger barrel) Recce shows zero shift when the 12th is removed.

Recce2.jpg

All three are wonderful rifles, with superb accuracy. The CLE Douglas barrels are really a bargain.

Johngfoster, You may be correct about cost? But thanks for the parts/ cost sheet. I now have something to work from. Maybe I will give up other pieces to put this rifle together.
Thanks

I am having SERIOUS thoughts about building one of these in 6.5G. This thread isn't helping my wallet...

Good looking rigs guys.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dangerousdan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Johngfoster, You may be correct about cost? But thanks for the parts/ cost sheet. I now have something to work from. Maybe I will give up other pieces to put this rifle together.
Thanks </div></div>

You're welcome. This is a beautiful rifle to say the least. I am almost finished with mine, and it has been quite the project! Taken a while to get all the parts together. The biggest outlay of funds has been for the scope and the suppressor. I started mine with the suppressor, as I didn't know what this current administration was going to do with gun laws, so "get it while you can" for the critical parts, then add the rest as you go--was my approach. I'll post pics here once she's done.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bobcat Steel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am having SERIOUS thoughts about building one of these in 6.5G. This thread isn't helping my wallet...

Good looking rigs guys.</div></div>

The Mk 12 would be a perfect application to chamber in 6.5G. I still would like to see someone do this in 300 Whisper though. Neither would quite be a true "clone" though, but they would sure be nice rifles! If it didn't cost so much, I'd consider doing another one in one of these two calibers.

Where is everyone getting MK262 at? The supply I have is running out and really haven't seen any for sale at your usual ammo webstores. I got this lot through a trade some time back. I have tried to duplicate it or make ammo that would shoot better then MK262, but haven't found the perfect consistent load yet for my SPR. For some reason or another my SPR is really picky about ammo it shoots. Sometimes it likes the reloads on one day, but most days not. At least with MK262, I know it's very consistent through my MK12.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Where is everyone getting MK262 at? The supply I have is running out and really haven't seen any for sale at your usual ammo webstores. I got this lot through a trade some time back. I have tried to duplicate it or make ammo that would shoot better then MK262, but haven't found the perfect consistent load yet for my SPR. For some reason or another my SPR is really picky about ammo it shoots. Sometimes it likes the reloads on one day, but most days not. At least with MK262, I know it's very consistent through my MK12.</div></div>

I'd like to know too. I've seen it, but $1-1.50 a shot seems a bit high.

Ok so how much did that upper cost you? Looks good I like the gen 1 look over the gen2 what was the reason for changeing to the gen2?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: benfur</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok so how much did that upper cost you? Looks good I like the gen 1 look over the gen2 what was the reason for changeing to the gen2? </div></div>

The change in the front sight design was due to a patent infringement on a French design I believe. Not too sure about the free floated handguard though. I believe the 2nd and 3rd gen. design allowed for a sturdier barrel nut design. Someone correct me if I'm wrong please.

that badboy looks good jf, did i ever mention MOD-0's make me wanna touch myself?

Thanks. It's been a fun project so far. Still having a hard time finding the right scope. It seems they have changed the ill. reticle switch design on the new scopes just a bit (for the better, actually) but I can't seem to find an original scope anywhere. I'm looking for the Mark 4 3.5-10 ill. mil-dot with M3 turrets. I have a smoking deal set up for one of the new scopes, but I'd really like to keep this as faithful to the original as I can.

I have a way to go yet but here's mine so far. It's a good start.

gallery_15_92_1484735.jpg

Finally done. Got my scope today, took to the range to sight in and see how it likes some real ammo.

dsc0552gx.jpg

First, sighted in with Hornady 75gr TAP FPD. Here's how she liked it:
5-shot group
dsc0554l.jpg

4-shot group
dsc0555i.jpg

Then I tried some Mk262. Doesn't seem to like it as much, although it may be the shooter as well
wink.gif

5-shot group
dsc0556u.jpg

dsc0557wm.jpg

10-shot group
dsc0558c.jpg

Gorgeous rifle, she looks great now that you have her all together. What barrel did you decide to go with? I am just curious as to what make is putting out those groups.

Sorry if this has been covered but, What are the differences between the MOD-0 and the MOD-1?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JCas</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gorgeous rifle, she looks great now that you have her all together. What barrel did you decide to go with? I am just curious as to what make is putting out those groups. </div></div>

Thanks. This was a fun project. This is a Douglas profiled by Compass Lake Engineering. I think I should be able to get more accuracy out of it with handloads and more experience shooting ARs (they are a bit more tricky to shoot well than bolt guns, and I'm a novice AR shooter).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Duey1267</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sorry if this has been covered but, What are the differences between the MOD-0 and the MOD-1? </div></div>

Probably the biggest difference is the handguard. The Mod 0 uses the PRI carbon fiber hand guard whereas the mod 1 uses the KAC M4 match rifle length handguard. The gas block, flip-up front sights, BUIS, and triggers are also different, as are the scopes. Here is a good link that I used to get the specs for this rifle:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Navy_Mark_12_Mod_X_Special_Purpose_Rifle

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: johngfoster</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JCas</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gorgeous rifle, she looks great now that you have her all together. What barrel did you decide to go with? I am just curious as to what make is putting out those groups. </div></div>

Thanks. This was a fun project. This is a Douglas profiled by Compass Lake Engineering. I think I should be able to get more accuracy out of it with handloads and more experience shooting ARs (they are a bit more tricky to shoot well than bolt guns, and I'm a novice AR shooter).

</div></div>

I just started collecting parts for a Mod 0 and this is my first AR build. Ars are trickier to to shoot well I agree with you on that one. I was considering a White Oak Armament SPR barrel as I have heard good things but I am not sure how it compares to a Douglas and am trying to decide if it is worth the extra money.

I think it all depends on your focus and intent for the build. I attempted to make mine as close to "as issued" as possible. The only deviations that I am aware of are: BCM bolt carrier instead of a Colt, Wylde chamber instead of proprietary chamber used on these, no "happy switch", and non-Colt/Armalite lower receiver (Tactics LLC obtained from Scottmilk9 through the SH group buy a year or two ago). This was my reason for going with a Douglas barrel over a WOA. I have an interest in historically accurate clones. If that isn't as important to you, then I'm sure a WOA will do just fine and probably shoot as well as a Douglas, and no one will know the difference except you.

What I find funny is immediatly after the AWB sunset, people ran out to buy rifles with bayonet lugs, telescoping stocks, and flash hiders

Now people are back building and buying superior rifles w/o bayo lugs, flash hiders, etc. And these SPR rifles are more effective, and reach out longer then many of the other "evil" configurations.

Funny.

Malefactor, I have always read that it is bad to bridge an optic from the receiver to the rail. Have you had any issues with that setup?

No I haven't but I have heard the same thing. I am saving to get a cantilevered base so I can get out of the situation altogether. I might notice if I shot better...

Im bringing this back, I love the MOD 0 Rifles

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bcw1284</div><div class="ubbcode-body">doubt it matters much on a floating rail system like the KAC he has. </div></div>
An OLd post,But Even with Hi Quality Rails Its no possible to have perfect alignment with the rail and upper,Unless it was built as one part(Monolithic). All Rails flex to make matters worse the scope is being stressed when mounted or bridged over the upper and rail, POI will shift from the amount of force used on the Rail and transfers to the scope.
Forward Mounts Like Larue SPR1.5 or LT158 10MOA cant are good choice to mount scopes on Upper rec..

Here is a MK12 MOD 0.5 I call it) With a RECCE bridge Rail that Bolts the upper and rail as one unit to mount the scope in standard type rings and move it to the forward position we all like..
imagefav.jpg

By asm1 at 2011-06-09

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CCCCanuck</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone using a BCM MK12 Mod 0 upper on these rifles? I know most of the rifles pictured here are built, but it seems like a pretty good deal:

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-SPR-Mk-12-Mod-0-Bravo-Natural-p/bcm-urg-mk12-0%20pri%20nat.htm </div></div>
A friend of mine did one, and it flat out shoots!! So much so I ordered one, I still need to put optics on it, but his shoots better than us, I will ask him what his moa is, now that he's shot enough to get comfy with it. He was consistently hitting the man hole cover we have set up at 625 yards in a cross wind with nothing more than a Mark 4 2.5x8

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CCCCanuck</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone using a BCM MK12 Mod 0 upper on these rifles? I know most of the rifles pictured here are built, but it seems like a pretty good deal:

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-SPR-Mk-12-Mod-0-Bravo-Natural-p/bcm-urg-mk12-0%20pri%20nat.htm </div></div>

I have the BCM MK12 Mod 1 upper just put the leupold mark 4 on it, still awaiting it's own lower though. After i calmed down and steadied my self i was able to do this with the last 4 shots, using Southwest ammunition 77gr SMK Run N Gun. Not nearly as good as i want it to be but it's my fault shoulda shot off a sand bag instead of the bipod, have a hard time steadying my AR with the pointed end of a magpul CTR stock. Still haven't gotten the ops inc break either..
frown.gif

2brwo5.jpg

29wk378.jpg