• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mk12 with suppressor won't stay open after last round

TheGerman

Oberleutnant
Minuteman
  • Jan 25, 2010
    the Westside
    Have a HCS Mk12Mod1 and the bolt stays open after the last round until I put the suppressor on it. No gas leaks, everything is in very good shape and this has the low profile Crane gas block which is not adjustable.

I tried various different mags, PMAGS, metal, USGI with about 80%+ of the time it not staying open.

Is this something as simple as needing a heavier buffer due to the gas in the system moving things faster, and not allowing it that fraction of a second to catch and lock? I'm uncertain which buffer I have now (HCS site doesn't mention anything about it) but wanted to see if this could be fixed with a H3 buffer.

Your fix could either be a heavier buffer or just a carrier weight. The suppressor should be giving you higher back-pressure and carrier group speed (and as you guessed it is over-riding the bolt stop).

A standard M16 rifle buffer is good-to-hook (SPRs were originally built on M16A1 lowers).

If you're using a collapsible (SOPMOD) stock the buffer should be stamped H, H2, or H3, otherwise it's probably a standard carbine buffer.

Your fix could either be a heavier buffer or just a carrier weight. The suppressor should be giving you higher back-pressure and carrier group speed (and as you guessed it is over-riding the bolt stop).

A standard M16 rifle buffer is good-to-hook (SPRs were originally built on M16A1 lowers).

If you're using a collapsible (SOPMOD) stock the buffer should be stamped H, H2, or H3, otherwise it's probably a standard carbine buffer.

I had looked before posting (incase it was already a heavy buffer) and it has no stamp on it, so looks like its a carbine buffer as the lower is a KAC with the collapsible SOPMOD.

I'll grab a H3 and hopefully this will solve the problem.

Use a Wolff Xp spring and work up buffer weights till the bolt catches. I had to run an A3 and a xp sping to tame a suppressed LMT upper I had. PITA.

You may also want to try a Full Auto bolt carrier in conjunction with a Wolf XP spring and Heavier buffer.

Yup typical bolt bounce due to over pressure from the can. Heavy buffer. I've had great luck with h3's. F/A carrier too. Should run like a champ then.

Have a HCS Mk12Mod1 and the bolt stays open after the last round until I put the suppressor on it. No gas leaks, everything is in very good shape and this has the low profile Crane gas block which is not adjustable.

I tried various different mags, PMAGS, metal, USGI with about 80%+ of the time it not staying open.

Is this something as simple as needing a heavier buffer due to the gas in the system moving things faster, and not allowing it that fraction of a second to catch and lock? I'm uncertain which buffer I have now (HCS site doesn't mention anything about it) but wanted to see if this could be fixed with a H3 buffer.

I think these guys are on to something and a heavier buffer may well fix your problem. Well, it will fix the symptom of your problem (your problem is too much gas).

Can I ask where your spent cases are ejecting? If straight to the right is 3 oclock, and straight ahead is 12 oclock?

The reason I ask is that I'm running an 18" gun, with a mid length gas system, rifle buffer, and full auto carrier. Without the suppressor (which is how I set the gun up intentionally, years ago), it ejects to 3 oclock, which I consider perfect. When I screw the can on, it is way over gassed and ejects at around 1 - 2 oclock, but never out runs my bolt stop with magpul, lancer, or usgi 20 round mags.

Since it is hard to believe that your rifle is more over gassed than mine, I wonder if your bolt catch or spring could be out of wack. It's food for thought, anyway.

Shoots them out at about 130 to 2 o clock. It does this very consistently, which I thought was a plus as I was able to pick up all of the brass in the same spot.

Shoots them out at about 130 to 2 o clock. It does this very consistently, which I thought was a plus as I was able to pick up all of the brass in the same spot.

Is that with the can or without the can? If both, then I think you were over gassed even without the can. Are you running a mid-length or rifle length gas system?

I had the exact same problem. Two things worked:

- Heavy buffer
    - Adjustable gas block

I finally put the adjustable gas block (the Sentry by SLR Rifleworks) on all my ARs. I like the ease of adjusting the gas flow for use with and without a suppressor.

Richard

Slash's XH buffer in my MK12 (w/ SOPMOD), runs great w/ can on or off. Rifle shoots noticeably smoother with the heavier buffer in as well, impressed me so much I now run the XH in all of my gas rigs.

Do you have the Magpul BAD lever installed on this rifle? I experienced the same problem but the issue was caused by the BAD lever contacting the upper and preventing the bolt stop from coming all the way up.

I've had good luck with H2s for this application myself. With a carbine buffer, I had the same problem until I threw on an extra H2 I had. Now its good to go.