• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

MMA

Some fighters are true warriors at heart. They fight because they love fighting, they typically go on way past the time they should have retired. Bellator is full of them, as well as a bunch of "has beens" that just don't know any other way to make a living apparently.

Others are in it to be central characters on a stage. Once that spotlight is gone and the shine on them gets dinged, they lose confidence and never come back to greatness. Anderson Silva and Rhonda Rousey come to mind.

Now think about a Randy Couture, or the Nogueira brothers or BJ Penn. These guys were all on top, got knocked down hard, more than once, and clawed thier way back to the top. THAT is a warrior. Those guys are a dying breed.

Reactions: asaavedra
Some fighters are true warriors at heart. They fight because they love fighting, they typically go on way past the time they should have retired. Bellator is full of them, as well as a bunch of "has beens" that just don't know any other way to make a living apparently.

Others are in it to be central characters on a stage. Once that spotlight is gone and the shine on them gets dinged, they lose confidence and never come back to greatness. Anderson Silva and Rhonda Rousey come to mind.

Now think about a Randy Couture, or the Nogueira brothers or BJ Penn. These guys were all on top, got knocked down hard, more than once, and clawed thier way back to the top. THAT is a warrior. Those guys are a dying breed.
That’s the difference between masters and ametuers. The master has fallen more times than the beginner has tried. True warriors know they will sometimes lose. It’s what you do after that matters. Not all of them have the grit to fight their way back to the top. A true warrior relishes in the comeback. Some are just in it for the money, win or lose.

24386.jpeg

Who even heard of Dillon Dannis before this shit? no one. He was on Arial's show the week before talking about how Khabib's team was all talk, guess he ate those words.
I wonder if the UFC or NAC will address the fact that the first punch thrown in ring (post fight) was by McGregor himself. When Khabibs brother jumped up to try and grab Khabib, Connor sucker punched him. But no one in the UFC has mentioned that, just how Khabib's temamates (who then jumped in after Connor attacked one of them) blindsided McGregor.

https://www.foxsports.com/ufc/video/1338850371968

Reactions: Spblademaker
The UFC is just s few years away from being the WWE. All of the entertainment occurs before and after the fight. Too many fights turn into bad boxing. Too many rules to "drive action" and make the fight less of a fight. No one wants to see it, but there are a bunch of things I'd change about the UFC.

No. 1 is changing the weigh in time to immediately before the match starts. Let's stop the weigh-in charade. We all know these fighters aren't living at their fighting weight. We all know they aren't fighting at their fighting weight. How much do you weigh 6 mo out from a fight- sitting on your couch, eating cheetos, watching sports center? 175? Ok, you're a middle weight, not a bantam weight. The fighters could be more competitive as "re-hydrating" for a couple of days after a near death by dehydration is not the same as actually being hydrated.

No. 2. No rounds. No time limit. No points. Submission only. Fuck, there's nothing worse than a boring fight that ends in a split decision.

No. 3. If we can't go sub only, then no round can end when either opponent is grounded, or while in the clench. If you can't rectify your situation, you don't get "saved by the bell." A round can only end if both fighters are on their feet. Additionally, any round that goes over time ends as soon as both fighters are on their feet.

Oh well, no one's asked me to run the UFC yet. It's interesting enough to watch the prelims and main event re-airings, but I can't bring myself to pay for the PPV.

Oh, MacGreggor appears to be a giant douche, but he's but one of many giant douches in the UFC. I wonder how much of that is real and how much is for show. It's so easy to hope for a strategically placed tactical nuke when some of these guys (and women) enter the ring.

@hlee
Check out Eddie Bravos “combat jujitsu”.
It is what you described with bitchslaps to keep people honest on things like leg locks.
I really enjoy it.

The UFC is just s few years away from being the WWE. All of the entertainment occurs before and after the fight. Too many fights turn into bad boxing. Too many rules to "drive action" and make the fight less of a fight. No one wants to see it, but there are a bunch of things I'd change about the UFC.

No. 1 is changing the weigh in time to immediately before the match starts. Let's stop the weigh-in charade. We all know these fighters aren't living at their fighting weight. We all know they aren't fighting at their fighting weight. How much do you weigh 6 mo out from a fight- sitting on your couch, eating cheetos, watching sports center? 175? Ok, you're a middle weight, not a bantam weight. The fighters could be more competitive as "re-hydrating" for a couple of days after a near death by dehydration is not the same as actually being hydrated.

No. 2. No rounds. No time limit. No points. Submission only. Fuck, there's nothing worse than a boring fight that ends in a split decision.

No. 3. If we can't go sub only, then no round can end when either opponent is grounded, or while in the clench. If you can't rectify your situation, you don't get "saved by the bell." A round can only end if both fighters are on their feet. Additionally, any round that goes over time ends as soon as both fighters are on their feet.

Oh well, no one's asked me to run the UFC yet. It's interesting enough to watch the prelims and main event re-airings, but I can't bring myself to pay for the PPV.

Oh, MacGreggor appears to be a giant douche, but he's but one of many giant douches in the UFC. I wonder how much of that is real and how much is for show. It's so easy to hope for a strategically placed tactical nuke when some of these guys (and women) enter the ring.
What you describe is pretty much what the UFC started out as. Problem is, if they hadn't put in all the rules, they would never have been sanctioned in most states or most western countries and we wouldn't be having this conversation at all.

My main beef is with the point system and the rounds. Too many rules disfavor grappling. Don’t stand the fighters up if the action gets “stale.” Let them work the situation. There’s a lot more going on in the clench and on the ground than most realize.

Don’t want them to hold the fence? Don’t have a fence.

Fans all want to see that knock out shot. Too often the stand up game really is just bad boxing. Fights that “go the distance” suck. Split decisions suck more.

I’m ok with the “fair play” rules like no eye gouging, no groin kicks, no biting, etc. Although it seems that some fighters flaunt some- eye gouges and groin kicks especially- on both sides of the rules. It’s too easy to claim a foul and get a stoppage to rest, and penalties are not sufficiently severe. Ring someone’s bell after the end of the round for 3 straight rounds and get warnings? WTF? The 12-6 elbow thing is pretty stupid, but I’ll live with it.

Timed rounds favor strikers and disfavor grapplers. My feeling is that if you are not in a position where you “could” flee the fight, the bell shouldn’t save you. (I was watching a fight recently- re airing of older match- where the same fighter finished rounds 1, 2, and 3 on her back defending against a sub. She lost in the 4th by submission. In as much as the UFC mimics life, she should have been put away much earlier, except for the artificial construct of the bells.)

The weigh-ins, as currently run, are silly. Crazy weight cuts then- literally- days to rehydrate is a farce and EVERYONE knows it.

If BJJ can run sub only tournaments, the UFC should be able to run sub only matches as well. Oh well, they’re not making money off me, so they’re not listening either. It’s a mildly entertaining diversion, but I think the average fan should probably train more and watch less...

The weigh-ins, as currently run, are silly. Crazy weight cuts then- literally- days to rehydrate is a farce and EVERYONE knows it.

If BJJ can run sub only tournaments, the UFC should be able to run sub only matches as well. Oh well, they’re not making money off me, so they’re not listening either. It’s a mildly entertaining diversion, but I think the average fan should probably train more and watch less...
Weight cut rules are irrelevent since all play by exactly the same rules on that.

Of course, the stand up game looks like bad boxing, boxers don't have to defend against the take down. How much do you think Floyd Mayweathers game would have changed against McGregor if they were wearing 4oz gloves and he had to worry about getting pummeled on the ground?

No one wants to pay $50 to watch BJJ on pay-per-view it's boring and looks like two men trying to hump each other. It's college wrestling with pajamas on.

Last edited by a moderator:
hydration tests like hey are doing over in China looks promising. I would like to see mma here give it a shot.

Who even heard of Dillon Dannis before this shit? no one. He was on Arial's show the week before talking about how Khabib's team was all talk, guess he ate those words.
I wonder if the UFC or NAC will address the fact that the first punch thrown in ring (post fight) was by McGregor himself. When Khabibs brother jumped up to try and grab Khabib, Connor sucker punched him. But no one in the UFC has mentioned that, just how Khabib's temamates (who then jumped in after Connor attacked one of them) blindsided McGregor.

Dillon is actually a well known grappler in the jiu jitsu and grappling world.

Dillon is actually a well known grappler in the jiu jitsu world.

No one has to pay 50 bucks to watch jiu jitsu cause you can watch it all for free.

My point is not that the UFC should be BJJ. My point is that a match can be run as submission/knock out only without turning into an anything goes brawl. You can still have rules that govern "fair play" but not have an artificial time limit "driving the action." And, judges are for figure skating and gymnastics. We don't need judges to determine who wins a fight. The person still standing/conscious/who didn't tap won the fight. A judges' decision is the "combat sports" equivalent of a tie in "Fun Fair Positive Soccer." If we need judges, let's let "America decide." Each fighter gets a call in number and you vote your favorite, as many times as you want.

I don't know, maybe some people like judges' decisions. They probably like kissing their sisters too.

Grappling is boring to some people. I get it. They do not understand what they are watching and there is no striking to show them who is the aggressor and who is defending. My dad went to a to a BJJ tournament I was competing in. He said it was the most boring thing he had ever been to. My heart hits 200 watching other matches. The first tournament I competed in, I was so amped for the matches I was watching that I felt drained before my own match.

The real issue is probably that the UFC cannot sell an event where the average fight will last less than 10 minutes and will not have any advertising breaks.

With youtube, you don't need to pay $50 to watch the UFC either. Hell, all of the fights will eventually be shown on one of the syndicated UFC shows too.

I’m a jitz guy. So I watch hours and hours of matches.

I think the problem with UFC is the money. Once they started making the big bucks, it became entertainment. Didn’t the UFC sell for like 6 billion dollars or something.

I agree that it should be a no time limit fight. Sub only. No rounds. No judges. A referee is probably s good idea. But with the kind of money these top fights make. They are only gonna try to make even more. A no rounds kind of format probably gets less advertising etc. so in the end it is what it is.

Hi,

Dillon is not even "well known" in the BJJ world....he loses almost 70% of his fights with about 5% of those due to penalties which shows he is a POS dirty fighter even in BJJ realm.

He was asked to leave and never come back to Marcelo Gracie's gym in NY. And if you know Marcelo you will know how crazy stupid you would have to act for him to pull that card.

His ONLY MMA fight is in Bellator and he won by a toe hold, lol... A toe hold!! He is not even in the minor leagues of MMA yet lol.

Sincerely,
Theis

If you know his fight statistics I’d say that qualifies him as well known. I’m just saying every other article or podcast has some talk of him and the drama that surrounds him. Well known and respected or even liked aren’t the same thing

I try to watch certain guys that have games that compliment my attributes. I like gi and no gi equally. So a bit old school that way.

But kinda new to it. Started at 42 and coming on three years of doing it. Competed twice and its fair to say I’m more of a hobbyist than a competitor. But seem to hold my own with guys close in size and belt level..... oh. And it’s a kick in the pants every night I get on the mat. So. As long as that’s true I’ll keep going!

Reactions: THEIS
Hi,

Dillon is not even "well known" in the BJJ world....he loses almost 70% of his fights with about 5% of those due to penalties which shows he is a POS dirty fighter even in BJJ realm.

He was asked to leave and never come back to Marcelo Gracie's gym in NY. And if you know Marcelo you will know how crazy stupid you would have to act for him to pull that card.

His ONLY MMA fight is in Bellator and he won by a toe hold, lol... A toe hold!! He is not even in the minor leagues of MMA yet lol.

Sincerely,
Theis
Isn’t the toe hold the nose pinch of BJJ?
D3AE8BE0-615B-4716-9C63-11303095DC47.jpeg

Laugh at the tow hold if you will. I hate hate hate foot locks. I have these long ass skinny feet and that shit hurts. I see some guys get there toes and feet tweaked and they don’t even blink an eye. They clearly have different anatomy than me. I have glass feet apparently.

Toe holds, foot locks, wrist locks, and anything that affects the knee are the bitch moves of bjj.

Toe holds, foot locks, wrist locks, and anything that affects the knee are the bitch moves of bjj.

I don’t think they are bitch moves. I think it’s a whole new dimension to BJJ. But it’s not super intuitive to me yet so....

Hi,

So looks like DC vs Lewis (Heavyweight) at UFC 230....

Sincerely,
Theis

I would rather this fight than Lesner. At least Lewis can make a claim to a top contender spot. I still think Miocic should get a rematch though.

Dillon is actually a well known grappler in the jiu jitsu and grappling world.

Dillon is actually a well known grappler in the jiu jitsu world.

Cool, MMA is not jits. Dude isnt well known in the MMA world. One fight in Bellator. I figure BJJ dudes are slightly better well known that PRS dudes. Im a pretty big MMA fan and I never heard of him before the fight. I guess we all know him now.

Reactions: Spblademaker
Hi,

Well it's not like he cuts any weight or does any conditioning during training camp lol.

Sincerely,
Theis

If he makes it out of the first I hope they drop the ice bag on his lap.?

Hi,

I like both DC and Lewis as people and how they carry themselves during a fight and their personal lives but I think I like DC better in regards to fighting abilities.
Not sure yet on who I want to win their fight.

Bring on Cyborg vs Nunes!!!

Sincerely,
Theis

Hi,

I like both DC and Lewis as people and how they carry themselves during a fight and their personal lives but I think I like DC better in regards to fighting abilities.
Not sure yet on who I want to win their fight.

Bring on Cyborg vs Nunes!!!

Sincerely,
Theis
Lewis obviously has heavy hands, but DC has seen it all before. I give Lewis zero chance at a win. Lewis is going to be the next Roy Nelson. A likeable personality that is an above average heavyweight.