• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Member Link Up MN member checking in!

Re: MN member checking in!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gunman_7</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well I'm in the middle of playing phone tag with Chris Rager, the NRA ILA State and Local Government Liaison for Minnesota. I want to find out if there has been any interest in this subject by others, and he'll be the one to ask. Not sure if I'll get to talk to him before I head out to work though... </div></div>

He would be a good contact for information re: legislators willing to sponsor a bill and for friendly politicians. Also I would think he would have an outline for getting this going.

I am looking up suppressor hearing loss information via Google. Building a list!

(By his grace ye are saved.)

Slayer...I agree with your tagline. Tho' I had to translate it online. My german hasn't been used for 35 yrs.
blush.gif

Yea, I never got a call back from him but what you outlined is exactly what I want to talk to him about...

From there we need to find a representative / local delegate to help draft it sponsor and present it. I used to be good friends with Representative John Ward, haven't talked to him in a year or so. He's a Dem but worth asking anyways when the time comes....

I'm working 12hr shifts yesterday and today so I'll try more tomorrow to get a hold of Rager...

FWIW, I've begun drafting the biil, just not sure if you guys think we should aim for the whole enchilada and go for the hunting aspect also, or focus on the "lets just get them first" mentality.

Montana recently tried this, they we able to get them but then drafted a bill to get the hunting portion and the bill died. I think we stand a better chance of getting it initially if we leave the hunting out of it at first, it will keep allot of the anti's off our backs. Unless someone wants to get in contact with the MN DNR and get there take on it.

Your thoughts?

I think that after the legalization of the bill, the MNDNR would be the people to contact as far as hunting legalities. Sound suppression for neighborhoods, target shooting, and how it's been working for other states will be good points to add. As well as any others that you've got going on.

I'm not sure that you would even want to hint at hunting in the bill, but definitely talk to the representative about it, because they're going to have to answer a bunch of questions from those above them about the uses, and they need to know every single detail. More than yourself.... if possible.

I sent an email to Rep. Emmers (Delano) not my rep. but he introduced a bill similar to Montana's regarding Mn. firearms not being subject to Fed. laws.
I thought he might be one to approach, as he sounds like he is pro-gun and anti big govt. His bio says he's a lawyer.
No response yet.

I think we should go for it all. Just like in contract negotiation...ask for the moon and then settle for what you can get. Still hold a hard line , but be prepared to give a little. I believe MnDNR would be against this from the get go. Better to let the Legislature write it and keep DNR out of the law writing. Then they will just have to enforce what is on the books.
Anyone think a table at gunshows with a petition a good idea. Information could be dispersed and the public made aware of legalities. Most the guys I know think suppressors can't be owned anywhere in the USA. Mn. Weapons Collectors have a couple shows coming up and they draw alot of people.

Yep he sounds like a worth while brain to pick. The problem is from what I am understanding there is no "contract negotiation" style. You write a bill cross your fingers and send it down the line, once introduced there is really no changing it.

I agree with you, the DNR will want to have nothing to do with it, and the hunting aspect should be left out at this time, just to much to chew as they say.

I'm just going to finish writing the core of the bill and let which ever Rep. we find tweak it. I still didn't hear back from Rager, but I'll hit him up again on Monday...

Just got back from the range doing a load development for my 6.5 CSS(Grendel) bolt gun. So far it's a 1MOA rifle, sad to say. But just starting finding the right combo for it.

Read in the paper that Tom Emmers is front runner for Republican govenor. I am thinking his staff will tell him to avoid this issue when trying to get elected. IMO

I worked on some subsonic loads with the 75 gr A-max in the .223 earlier this week, shooting it is just a riot.

We'll have to get togather out here and have a suppressor shoot someday so some of you fella's who haven't had a chance to use one can. Once you use one, you'll not want to go back to MN.

Wow, Marty found the on button for the puter. Good to see ya again. Do you think you'll get any shop time soon. I need you to thread and recrown that sps tac.

My old man told me today he wants that 6.5-06 barrel cut down shorter. It nearly went upside his head.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wi50</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I worked on some subsonic loads with the 75 gr A-max in the .223 earlier this week, shooting it is just a riot.

We'll have to get togather out here and have a suppressor shoot someday so some of you fella's who haven't had a chance to use one can. Once you use one, you'll not want to go back to MN. </div></div>

Can we still root for the Vikings if we move to Wi.?

Anybody out there??

I got my CDI bottom metal and its pretty sweet, I don't know if i'll have everything ready to go on the 280 by sunday though, might be shooting the 300WSM again
frown.gif

have you guys got everything lined up? its gonna be a nice day...

-Steve

Nah, my weekend to work. I should be able to make the next one, especially it being the second of the last. Unless we get something together for going to Marty's around that time, if thats the case I'd just skip P-Town...

Marty, Sounds like a blast, I'd be more than happy to make a trek out there and help out with setting up/making steel targets for the 1000yrd range. Maybe at three different distances, 400yrds, 700yrds and 1K. Maybe design it so they are removable for crops in the summer. I have some steel stock that could be utilized I could bring. It's a long drive, but if we could make this into something nice, it would be well worth the trip on a regular bases.

I'd be down for skipping the P-town shoot to go to Marty's too, i've been itching to bang some steel...

-Steve

I'm ready to shoot again. I know Marty is out for this weekend though. I need to do some load development this Saturday (short range stuff) but maybe the next weekend we could get everyone lined up for something. It'd be nice to make it a 2 day thing and spend a whole day at 1k. Maybe go to the puppy show in the evening...

John, thanks for leaving that present on my doorstep, sorry I forgot to leave your stuff out there.

I'll have to see what's going on when it gets closer...

If any of you guys need/want some AICS 223 mags I will be receiving a large quantity of them in the next week or so...

I want to get out to Marty's place as well! I have just been too damn busy lately to do anything!

Slayer, I probably won't make it to any of those shoots this year at the rate things are going around here...

If you guys have some time take a peek at the new Bauer Arms, LLC website when you have a chance and give me your thoughts on it if I need to change anything or something looks messed up let me know:

www.bauerarms.com/shop

I am hoping to have all the sidebar wording and everything organized and finished so we can go live with the site in a couple of weeks.
wink.gif

Cheers,

Adam

The site looks good Adam. Will my newsletter have coupons for sierra bullets???

so far it's on. I plan on getting there. I'll bring Lapua 155's and Hornady 208's. And Terry's money.

hey adam how about a call back on my bushings that i ordered. in 1st week jan.
tried pm, phone and e-mail.... wassup

Hey Brent, I apologize I have been pretty swamped lately!!! Let me look into it, I think one bushing is here and the other was backordered but I will double check next week and call Redding to see what is going on...

Austan, I have been contemplating a Sierra GB just have not had the time to put it together with everything else going on... Want to handle all the emails and orders anyone?
wink.gif

Adam

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: imperial</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Greetings from Moorhead to the MN crew.</div></div>

Hey! Welcome to the Hide
smile.gif

How are the water levels up there?

-Steve

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Slayer_280AI</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: imperial</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Greetings from Moorhead to the MN crew.</div></div>

Hey! Welcome to the Hide
smile.gif

How are the water levels up there?

-Steve </div></div>

Everything is pretty well frozen still. It'll start climbing soon though.

No need to rub it in, haha. I think we touched the 30s a day or two this week.

I just want it to melt, not flood, and dry out so I can take my latest build out to play. I have never really shot anything beyond 100yards and I'm excited to start this year.

Thanks Adam,
glad that your swamped, at least someone is benefiting in this economy. but i am out of fresh brass, so can't reload anymore without the bushings....:)

Sorry Austan, have to work a Safe&Sober shift on Saturday night so I can't make next weekend. Lets plan out a little further and get a bunch of us together...

WOOO HOOOO Just received my Acculab VIC-123 scale in the mail. Looks pretty good. Looks like I"ll be doing some reloading tomorrow! Man the ability to weigh each kernel of varget will be nice!

Princeton shoot from a newbie perspective...

Great time. Should have paid more attention to course of fire. Didn't shoot the first 200 & 300 yd stages, so I lost alot of points there. Not to mention the plus of getting come ups for 300. But JBM ballistics calc., done the night before, was really close. 'Cept for the 500yd...that was high. Could have been me adjusting too much too. I need to listen more and not talk.

All in all I had a great time and will be there again. Good bunch of shooters, very helpful for the FNG. I expect to get alot of crap next time.
Thanks
Ron

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gunman_7</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Man the ability to weigh each kernel of varget will be nice!</div></div>

Fricken bench gun shooters.(shakes head)lol

Glad you had a good time sparks1.
You won't get much crap next time, you get a free pass the first time, if it happens again you'll hear about it though
wink.gif

I finally got my 280 put back together and fitted the CDI bottom metal, might have to play with the mag lips a little but other than that it seems like a solid unit.

Couldn't have been a nicer day to be shooting. There was a lot of good scores posted yesterday, I was told I set a new "match record" by hitting the bonus bulls 4 out of 6 tries, I was kinda dissapointed about throwing the other 2 shots though didn't really think I did anything that special...

There is another match in Ashland WI put on by a guy named Bryan Mrnack, I guess its a lot like the Princeton match but a little cheaper. The next one out there is this coming weekend, but they shoot all the way through the summer out there I think. A couple guys and I are thinking about checking it out so i'll be getting some more info, lemme' know if your interested i'll get you the details...

-Steve

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Slayer_280AI</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Glad you had a good time sparks1.
You won't get much crap next time, you get a free pass the first time, if it happens again you'll hear about it though
wink.gif

I finally got my 280 put back together and fitted the CDI bottom metal, might have to play with the mag lips a little but other than that it seems like a solid unit.

Couldn't have been a nicer day to be shooting. There was a lot of good scores posted yesterday, I was told I set a new "match record" by hitting the bonus bulls 4 out of 6 tries, I was kinda dissapointed about throwing the other 2 shots though didn't really think I did anything that special...

There is another match in Ashland WI put on by a guy named Bryan Mrnack, I guess its a lot like the Princeton match but a little cheaper. The next one out there is this coming weekend, but they shoot all the way through the summer out there I think. A couple guys and I are thinking about checking it out so i'll be getting some more info, lemme' know if your interested i'll get you the details...

-Steve </div></div> Yea Bryan used to shoot at Princeton, that's where he got his idea's from. Bryan's a good guy, a little hard core, but there were some hard feelings when he left and copied Princeton's setup, and sweet talked allot of shooters away from P-town. But that was a couple three years ago now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Austan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gunman_7</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Man the ability to weigh each kernel of varget will be nice!</div></div>

Fricken bench gun shooters.(shakes head)lol </div></div> Hey at least I'm honest with myself and use a bench gun for benchrest shooting, unlike some others that use a tactical rifle for BR shooting and won't admit there a BR shooter! LOL!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gunman_7</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Austan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gunman_7</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Man the ability to weigh each kernel of varget will be nice!</div></div>

Fricken bench gun shooters.(shakes head)lol </div></div> Hey at least I'm honest with myself and use a bench gun for benchrest shooting, unlike some others that use a tactical rifle for BR shooting and won't admit there a BR shooter! LOL!</div></div>

Are they the same that shriek like girls when they see a bb gun?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Slayer_280AI</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Glad you had a good time sparks1.
wink.gif

-Steve </div></div>

Can't make this weekend, but I would be interested in Ashland for future. Now that I have shot this at Princeton I have the bug to build a real bench rifle. The Savage is good, don't get me wrong, but I have always had the urge to do a custom build. I am over at BR Central gleaning info about this game and equipment. Not a 100>200yd rifle but 300+yds. I have a couple smiths in mind will have to check it out.
Got alot to learn so I'm off to read some more.

Yea it's a blast, wait until you get out and shoot a good steel course, shooting paper will be boring as hell...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Austan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gunman_7</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Austan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gunman_7</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Man the ability to weigh each kernel of varget will be nice!</div></div>

Fricken bench gun shooters.(shakes head)lol </div></div> Hey at least I'm honest with myself and use a bench gun for benchrest shooting, unlike some others that use a tactical rifle for BR shooting and won't admit there a BR shooter! LOL!</div></div>

Are they the same that shriek like girls when they see a bb gun?

</div></div>LMAO!!

Steve, Ron,

Had a great time at the shoot too. Nothing like the standing joke of the day with Terry and Larry (short jokes and hired to yell). Even really liking the Canadian bacon pizza w/green olives.

I didn't do all that good on the points but I was still pretty satisfied with what I shot. I hit one bonus bull (out of six) but a near miss(1") on the 400 and the 500 was stone cold and I at least got adjusted on paper. I'd never shot that bullet before,...ever, at that range. Once I got the elevation I think we picked up a tiny bit of west wind and I ended up about 4" to the right of where I thought I should be on the animal.

Zeroing on the 200 and 300 was a killer. But If you'd known and were shooting good enough you know that you could add 60 pts. to your score. I improved by figuring out where I dropped points and corrected each mistake, one by one.

Just got off the phone with Bill Shehane about his stocks. Nice guy. He tells me a BAT action is probably the best out there, but any of the others will be competitive. Told him I was planning a 6BR but may go up to a 6.5x47L at a later date. He says the BAT model B will do those and a 6.5x284 also/ I'm confused as BAT has so many listed.
Bill S. also said his MBR stock will work for both bench and F-Class. Wood is what I like, so he said they come ready to finish with Automotive clearcoat. Of course after bedding. I'm pricing and figuring out the rifle I want to build. Got a couple guys in mind for smithing...any recommenations? I was told that Redding dies can be used but get the dies and build the rifle from that. Huh??? I don't understand. Don't want to cut corners but I want to save where I can.
BTW...I'm selling my Honda Ranchers (2) to fund this rifle. Don't use them since we let the cabin go and I figure the money from mine will go along way for the build. She, my wife, ets the money from hers to buy some furniture. (Now that;s just wrong!!!)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sparks1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Got a couple guys in mind for smithing...any recommenations? I was told that Redding dies can be used but get the dies and build the rifle from that. Huh??? I don't understand. Don't want to cut corners but I want to save where I can.</div></div>

Not to jump in uninvited, but...

Stan Ware in Westbrooke, MN sgrcustomrifles.com. Meticulous work, though somewhat expensive... On that note: soooo many times now I've had the "I'd like to save a little here and there" and I end up regretting it. Two rifle builds I got in a hurry and took shortcuts and regretted it both times.

Stan made a 6.5x47 for me, so he has appropriate reamers (spec the neck if you plan to turn the cases and he'll ream that per your liking).

sparks1, at the next Princeton match talk to Greg. He did a 6.5x47 for me as well as some other work, I would recommend him very much. I see he's shooting a 30 caliber now, but his 6BR shot pretty well also.

I believe someone told me one of the shooters did gunsmithing. However I did not get to talk to him. Of course I thought it would be inappropriate at a shoot, as the match was the main thing on everyones mind. Next shoot I will take some time to talk to him. I believe he was shooting a 30-284 with a brake.
Someone with a brake shot next to me and (30 caliber) and I threw a shot because of the unexpected muzzle blast. I learned real quick to wait for his shot and then to take mine. Hard to do in atimed event.
I also know the logic behind not being cheap in a build.
Thanks

I'd reccomend Greg too. you are thinking of Brad with the 30-284, Greg was shooting his 30x47L with the red/black laminate stock.

i'll introduce you to him at the next shoot. he's one heck of a machinist, and I can tell you first hand his rifles shoot
wink.gif

plus turn around time through him is usually only a week or two

-Steve

I would recommend Jim Kobe in Bloomington he does outstanding work at a fair rate and is fast. I have Jim install 3-4 barrels a year for me, mainly for my F-class rig. He has a reamer for 6.5 x 47 L throated for 130-140 g, a 6.5 x 55 AI throated for heavies, and an assortment of 6mm BR reamers. The improved swede has shown itself to be a great round when combined with 139 Scenars and H4831SC I will probably shoot this for 1,000 yards and windy 600 matches, it is shooting 0.5 MOA 5 shot groups at 300 m. I also shoot a barrel with the 6.5 x 47 L and is also a great round.

Jim Kobe's name has been mentioned at my range with the High Power and F-class shooters. (Mtka Game & Fish) Just getting options . I will talk to each of these guys and see how it goes.
First I have to fund this, so getting information about a build is going on now. When it comes time to do it and get components I just hope inventories are there.
Don't know about the BAT action. For the price is one getting that much more than say a Panda? I know whichever I get and have put together will shoot WAY beyond my humble skills. But then I know that going in and the improvement will be up to me. I'll never be able to blame the rifle.
Thanks

Sparks,

I shoot at Mtka Game & Fish about twice a week at the 300 meter range. I make most of Brian's Sunday matches so if you are out there and you see a heavy set guy, bld on top that is driving a red Dakota that is me and you can see me shoot some of Jim's work.

I just might see you there. Driving a Black VW jetta diesel. Quite alot of trees they've taken down, eh?

Jim probably will be at the gunshow at state fairgrounds on the 20th, 21st., I'd guess. I'll talk to him there. I got a pre-war m70 stock from him a couple years ago. Just the thing to make my Winchester have collector value. Old stock was carved with a MN. ID number and recoil pad installed. Jim's stock was perfect and the buttplate looked like it never was set on the floor.

sparks1,

I like Jim Kobe and he's done some work on other rifles I've taken up there and shot. Good work, fast turn time, and probably the most reasonably priced.

That said I sure can't argue at all with the rigs I've seen shoot that Greg built. If the price is affordable (I think Greg is) it's not always about who's cheapest but what a guy charges to get the job done right and on time.