• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

MOA vs Mil

1613357550745.jpeg

Ok, this is going to be somewhat of an inside joke but the guitar playing guys will get it.
Jimi took an MOA guitar and flipped it to MIL😂

Basically a right handed guitar played left handed.

C’mon @Lapuapalooza and @Not a Sniper help me out here 😂
🤷‍♂️ I always tuned down a half step and floored it... my playing was never accurate enough to worry about if I was jamming in MOA or MIL...

Reactions: TriggerJerk!
Only difference between the two:
Mil is metric, MOA is mostly used with imperial (for shooting) not really associated with metric or imperial.

I love this phrase I learned at Navy nuclear power school so long ago:

GROSS CONCEPTUAL ERROR

It's so applicable here

I love this phrase I learned at Navy nuclear power school so long ago:

GROSS CONCEPTUAL ERROR

It's so applicable here
I see a lot of comments but nothing to back them up. Sorry I can be more specific.

Milliradian is based on .001 radian, notice the work Milli in there??? which is metric, (Designed by Europeans, which uses the metric system)

MOA is based on 1/60 degrees (Designed by the UK, which uses the imperial system)

I see a lot of comments but nothing to back them up. Sorry I can be more specific.

Milliradian is based on .001 radian, notice the work Milli in there??? which is metric, (Designed by Europeans, which uses the metric system)

MOA is based on 1/60 degrees (Designed by the UK, which uses the imperial system)

Dude, you're so fucking lost...…………..LOL

Milli is used to denote 1000 neither metric or standard. Such as millivolt , milliamp , millipede , etc .

Milliraidian is neither a metric or standard unit of measure , it just like MOA , is an angular unit of measure that by their nature widen consistently from the base of the angle out to distance. Doesn't matter what unit of linear measure you use inches , feet , meters . It is an angular formula NOT linear measurement.

Trying to cut thru all the chaff here.....So if my reticle is in MIL, and my turrets are in MOA...and 1 MOA is 1" (sorta), Then what is 1 MIL in relation to the cost of ice cream? :ROFLMAO:
It depends; is it snowing? Is there enough snow on the ground to make into ice cream? And if so, is the snow safe to eat? 6 cups of snow mixed with milk, sugar and vanilla flavoring will make 4 servings of ice cream.

Reactions: TriggerJerk!
Ha ha ha you are so funny. Please show me the way..

Do you want to continue making yourself look stupid?? I can help you with that..but the majority of this group probably doesn't have an high school education.

The only one looking stupid here is you. Very stupid. You waltz on here waving your "I have a CS degree and I'm really clever." I've mentioned before to you that there are folks here who know how this shit works and have done it for real out in the AOR on 2 way ranges. They said you are wrong in your approach, and yet you choose to continue to wave "MATH" and make bullshit claims like MOA comes from the UK. You can actually thank the Sumerians for that, you arrogant and ignorant little runt.

You are a classic case of failing to understand expertise in one area confers any ability to comment in another area. So you have a CS degree. That gives you zero credibility or platform to comment on precision shooting. The fact you think it does makes you a really bad engineer, you know, the type of engineer everyone here laughs at.

Your response is to launch an ad-hominem attack on the level of everyone's education. We are all beneath you. Guess what sunshine, pretty everyone here is more educated than you. You mistake a piece of paper for an education. No, what you have is a credential that is supposed to signify that you have an ability to pursue further education and learning independently. That fact that your ability to do so, and recognize the limits of your knowledge, is such an epic fail merely proves that your fancy CS degree wasn't worth it.

I hire engineers with your type of skillset routinely. Along with cloud engineers and developers and systems engineers. You're the type that won't go far in an organization like mine because you clearly lack the humility to accept that you don't know it all and have much to learn. I've kept that perspective my entire career and I learn as much from my staff as they learn from me, because I don't know it all and will never know it all.

The "way" you ask for is here on the hide if you choose to look. If you are so brilliant I suggest you start running training and show how fast you can engage multiple UKD targets and get rounds on target. Otherwise you are nothing more than an overbearing snot nosed little know-it-all who would soil his pants if he had to walk in the shoes of half the people here. You are an example of everything wrong with education today.

No wonder I'm lost.... I'm still looking for that UK nation amongst the European countries.

• Haha
Reactions: 308pirate
Milli is used to denote 1000 neither metric or standard. Such as millivolt , milliamp , millipede , etc .

Milliraidian is neither a metric or standard unit of measure , it just like MOA , is an angular unit of measure that by their nature widen consistently from the base of the angle out to distance. Doesn't matter what unit of linear measure you use inches , feet , meters . It is an angular formula NOT linear measurement.

I have a few more: milliinch, millipound, milliounce, centifoot………….

LOL

The only one looking stupid here is you. Very stupid. You waltz on here waving your "I have a CS degree and I'm really clever." I've mentioned before to you that there are folks here who know how this shit works and have done it for real out in the AOR on 2 way ranges. They said you are wrong in your approach, and yet you choose to continue to wave "MATH" and make bullshit claims like MOA comes from the UK. You can actually thank the Sumerians for that, you arrogant and ignorant little runt.

You are a classic case of failing to understand expertise in one area confers any ability to comment in another area. So you have a CS degree. That gives you zero credibility or platform to comment on precision shooting. The fact you think it does makes you a really bad engineer, you know, the type of engineer everyone here laughs at.

Your response is to launch an ad-hominem attack on the level of everyone's education. We are all beneath you. Guess what sunshine, pretty everyone here is more educated than you. You mistake a piece of paper for an education. No, what you have is a credential that is supposed to signify that you have an ability to pursue further education and learning independently. That fact that your ability to do so, and recognize the limits of your knowledge, is such an epic fail merely proves that your fancy CS degree wasn't worth it.

I hire engineers with your type of skillset routinely. Along with cloud engineers and developers and systems engineers. You're the type that won't go far in an organization like mine because you clearly lack the humility to accept that you don't know it all and have much to learn. I've kept that perspective my entire career and I learn as much from my staff as they learn from me, because I don't know it all and will never know it all.

The "way" you ask for is here on the hide if you choose to look. If you are so brilliant I suggest you start running training and show how fast you can engage multiple UKD targets and get rounds on target. Otherwise you are nothing more than an overbearing snot nosed little know-it-all who would soil his pants if he had to walk in the shoes of half the people here. You are an example of everything wrong with education today.
As an engineer and a parent of an adult son with autism, he gives both a bad name.

He is clearly a troll as was the other, sorta engineer it guy. No one could persistently claim that 1.047 inches at 100y is somehow more simple than 3.6, just not possible.

Do you want to continue making yourself look stupid?? I can help you with that..but the majority of this group probably doesn't have an high school education.

I wonder how long it will take for us to make you rage quit?

Some have an high school education, some have an college education, and some have an no education at all.

🤷‍♂️ I always tuned down a half step and floored it... my playing was never accurate enough to worry about if I was jamming in MOA or MIL...
Well, look at you gettin' all SRV... :D

@Moe Ron I think Jimi was neither MOA nor MIL, he cancelled them both out with a flipping of the guitar. Jimi was the frequency of the Universe.

Go ahead and ask a musician how to tune:

https://www.guitarworld.com/lessons/which-tuning-standard-sounds-better-432hz-or-440hz

Me, I don't have a dog in this race. Dig the sound? Hit what you are aiming at?

Be the Hendrix in either case!

PS: I am now sensing bourbon in my future today.... :ROFLMAO:

It depends; is it snowing? Is there enough snow on the ground to make into ice cream? And if so, is the snow safe to eat? 6 cups of snow mixed with milk, sugar and vanilla flavoring will make 4 servings of ice cream.
Beware of yellow snow. Just sayin’...

Reactions: demolitionman
Ahh...So 6 cups equals 1.047 at 100 ounces, but we're talking mils here so are those serving gonna be in ounces or grams?

Reactions: demolitionman
To lighten the mood here.. I don't want to argue with you guys, we have far more bigger issues to worry about.

You like to play with squirrel balls because of where you live, that is what people do. You know damn near exactly how big squirrel balls are and use inches and yards because constants are used in the math.

On the other hand you have seen opossum balls, they look weird so you don't play with them much and they like to use meters and centimeters.

If I tell you one squirrel ball is equal to 100 yards away, then 2 squirrel balls is equal to 200 yards away.. you could pick that up really quick.

Then I tell you one squirrel ball is 1in @ 100 yards. Then 2 squirrel balls is 2ins @ 200 yards Ok.. I know what one 1 inch is..

If I tell you one opossum ball is 100 meters away and two opossum balls is 200 meters .. You would be like.. ok .. makes sense.

Then if I tell you one opossum ball is 10 cm @ 100 meters. Then if I tell you two opossum balls is 20cm @ 200 meters.. things get a little sketchy because I don't use CM at all. But you can convert one opossum ball to squirrel ball if you want so it makes more sense in inches.

But Jimmy, why would you do that?

So if you have to convert meters to yards and CM to inches.. which gives you around 3.5 inches for one opossum ball @ 100 yards and 7inches for two opossum balls @ 200 yards.. Ya, I just did math for no reason.. or I need to visually memorize another measure scale.

Or we could say one opossum ball is 3.9 inches @ 100 meters.. we can keep going..

Fixed it for you using my high school grammar.
You guys keep proving my point. You "fixed" my grammar with improper grammar then added a statement in improper grammar. Never said I be good at the grammar but for your sake.

DON'T (do not) is the negative form of DO while DOESN'T (does not) is the negative form of DOES.

Use “a” before words that begin with a consonant as in “a banana,” “a xylophone,” or “a red convertible.”
Use “an” before words that begin with a vowel as in “an apple,” “an editor,” or “an eager beaver.”

However, words that start with the letter “H” do not follow the rule for consonants. For the letter “H”, the pronunciation dictates the indefinite article:

I just did that for people like you that try to belittle people's grammar on forums that I could care less if it is proper grammar or not. I have mainly seen this trait from people with no augment or facts to back up their own statements.

Last edited:
Stinky troll bait "1in @ 100 yards" or defining his ignorance, you be the judge.

Someone want to edit his post with all the math errors he made as he continues to propagate his errors of 1"@100y?

So if you have to convert meters to yards and CM to inches.. which gives you around 3.5 inches for one opossum ball @ 100 yards and 7inches for two opossum balls @ 200 yards.. Ya, I just did math for no reason.. or I need to visually memorize another measure scale.

Or we could say one opossum ball is 3.9 inches @ 100 meters.. we can keep going..

Or, option 3 would be to do it the easy way and use your reticle to measure and then there would be no math required at all. No inches, no meters, no possum balls, no estimating and converting. Back to the basic point of this entire conversation........if you are looking at your point of impact, saying to yourself "I'm 3" right @ 326 yards, how many moa or mils do I need to dial as correction", you are doing it the hard way. You don't need to visually memorize anything. Just use the reticle as it was designed. It's accurate to moa or mils at any distance. No converting. No math. Is that so hard to understand?

Reactions: MysizeisMAGNUM
^^^^This.

But let’s talk.

That opossum is one proud dude!

Your first premise is wrong. If your using squirrel balls, that is all you need to know to correct aim. If the other folks with you also use squirrel balls, that is what you use to communicate corrections. If you are then forced to convert to opossum balls to communicate with another competitor, then a conversion factor comes into play (note that no linear units are involved up to this point). All angular units, and a correction factor that is a ratio, also in angular units.

Range estimation, and or communicating about range, brings in the first set of units that are uncommon between squirrel testicle lovers versus opossum testicle lovers (y’all need help, just sayin’). And even that does not matter as long as we are all shooting at the same target.

So unless someone wants to use reticle range estimation, or estimate the linear dimensions of some target, there is no need for linear units.

Finally, some of us actually estimate range in other units (opossum balls to continue the analogy).

So communication stays in angular units when correcting windage and elevation. Only a ratio is required to convert between angular units. Or you just tell the squirrel team to figure it out on their own🙂

Last edited:
Reactions: seansmd
To lighten the mood here.. I don't want to argue with you guys, we have far more bigger issues to worry about.

You like to play with squirrel balls because of where you live, that is what people do. You know damn near exactly how big squirrel balls are and use inches and yards because constants are used in the math.

On the other hand you have seen opossum balls, they look weird so you don't play with them much and they like to use meters and centimeters.

If I tell you one squirrel ball is equal to 100 yards away, then 2 squirrel balls is equal to 200 yards away.. you could pick that up really quick.

Then I tell you one squirrel ball is 1in @ 100 yards. Then 2 squirrel balls is 2ins @ 200 yards Ok.. I know what one 1 inch is..

If I tell you one opossum ball is 100 meters away and two opossum balls is 200 meters .. You would be like.. ok .. makes sense.

Then if I tell you one opossum ball is 10 cm @ 100 meters. Then if I tell you two opossum balls is 20cm @ 200 meters.. things get a little sketchy because I don't use CM at all. But you can convert one opossum ball to squirrel ball if you want so it makes more sense in inches.

giphy.gif

Reactions: armorpl8chikn

You should quit while you're behind. You've clearly demonstrated that your so-called expertise in math is in common core math. Also, your little lesson here also shows that your shooting experience is non-existent. If you want to keep trolling, this will make for great entertainment, but if you actually want to have a real discussion on how to be a better shooter, you should at least get some of your "facts" straight and actually understand what a minute of angle represents and what a milliradian represents. That fact that you keep presenting a MOA as being equal to 1 inch at 100 yards, shows that you at best have a grade school level of understanding.

You guys keep proving my point. You "fixed" my grammar with improper grammar then added a statement in improper grammar. Never said I be good at the grammar but for your sake.

DON'T (do not) is the negative form of DO while DOESN'T (does not) is the negative form of DOES.

Use “a” before words that begin with a consonant as in “a banana,” “a xylophone,” or “a red convertible.”
Use “an” before words that begin with a vowel as in “an apple,” “an editor,” or “an eager beaver.”

However, words that start with the letter “H” do not follow the rule for consonants. For the letter “H”, the pronunciation dictates the indefinite article:

I just did that for people like you that try to belittle people's grammar on forums that I could care less if it is proper grammar or not. I have mainly seen this trait from people with no augment or facts to back up their own statements.
As if by example....

Or, option 3 would be to do it the easy way and use your reticle to measure and then there would be no math required at all. No inches, no meters, no possum balls, no estimating and converting. Back to the basic point of this entire conversation........if you are looking at your point of impact, saying to yourself "I'm 3" right @ 326 yards, how many moa or mils do I need to dial as correction", you are doing it the hard way. You don't need to visually memorize anything. Just use the reticle as it was designed. It's accurate to moa or mils at any distance. No converting. No math. Is that so hard to understand?
You guys still don't understand. He doesn't have a reticle at all. This "scope" is just a tube taped to the top of a rifle. T.P. roll left-overs from the earlier pandemic panic. With all this extra stock.....

Went out with a girl once, told her I worked in R&D, She asks "Are you an engineer?" I say "No, just a machinist." Her reply "Oh, you fix engineers shit." Great fuck, sharp as a tack, bat shit crazy all the same.
Damn, I should have finished the page.

Oh... it’s cooling off again. Not to worry.

Alright sad sacks, we have a problem. Number one, squirrels bite. Number two, testicles are ovoid. So is the reticle standard average length or average width?

I am not going to bother with opossum. I will leave that to @chickon1

Oh... it’s cooling off again. Not to worry.

Alright sad sacks, we have a problem. Number one, squirrels bite. Number two, testicles are ovoid. So is the reticle standard average length or average width?

I am not going to bother with opossum. I will leave that to @chickon1
Now you know why USMC mildots were oval.