• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

MOA vs Mil

Ready for another? Hold “O”...

Screenshot_20210228-163246_Brave.jpg

Today is the final day....according to the rules!!
  • We will only discuss, debate, entertain MOA vs MIL related questions during February of each year (during the Annual SH MOA vs MIL Festival).

This thread is just opening the door for another Creedmoor thread...Can we limit those to February in the future too? :D

Last edited:
Gah, this thread is just opening the door for another Creedmoor thread...Can we limit those to February in the future too?
March through October is devoted to 6.5CM vs. 308 threads. The remainder of the year can be used for miscellaneous topics such as spin drift, bullets going to sleep, bipod hop, etc.

March through October is devoted to 6.5CM vs. 308 threads. The remainder of the year can be used for miscellaneous topics such as spin drift, bullets going to sleep, bipod hop, etc.
March and April can be 6.5 creed vs 308.
May can be 6.5 creed vs 6 creed.
June can be 6.5 creed vs Swede.
July August can be 6.5 creed vs 260.
September can be 6.5 creed vs the gay tiger.
October can be 6.5 creed vs 6.5 prc

absolutely. i prefer to shoot free throws with a women's basketball. so much easier.
Gunfire isn't like gentleman's dueling... If you hit the target, and the target goes down, it's a win. You don't get extra points by making it hard on yourself.

Gunfire isn't like gentleman's dueling... If you hit the target, and the target goes down, it's a win. You don't get extra points by making it hard on yourself.
lol, it's all teasing and you're taking it too serious if you think you need to splain it.
either that, or you haven't attended the sh academy session on why .308 sucks. :p

lol, it's all teasing and you're taking it too serious if you think you need to splain it.
either that, or you haven't attended the sh academy session on why .308 sucks. :p
Yes, and I'm teasing by being suddenly logical. Keep up.

Besides, .224 Valkyrie will come back. I just know it.

March and April can be 6.5 creed vs 308.
May can be 6.5 creed vs 6 creed.
June can be 6.5 creed vs Swede.
July August can be 6.5 creed vs 260.
September can be 6.5 creed vs the gay tiger.
October can be 6.5 creed vs 6.5 prc
.30-06? No month for that huh? Bunch damn whippersnappers. Bunch of joggerheaded boil brained flap-dragons.

• Haha
Reactions: lash
Okay. Target is the bright dot. Let’s say my point of impact was where the crosshairs are. How many inches low and left did I miss?View attachment 7558301

@TxWelder35 never received an answer.

Now I’m not an engineer, but if you missed what I think is the moon by that amount.... from Earth... then you must be using a new type of creedmoor😂

Quick... how many inches left is that?🤣 Please use scientific notation in that answer.

• Haha
Reactions: seansmd
@TxWelder35 never received an answer.

Now I’m not an engineer, but if you missed what I think is the moon by that amount.... from Earth... then you must be using a new type of creedmoor😂

Quick... how many inches left is that?🤣 Please use scientific notation in that answer.
With that sight picture I would work on cheek weld first.

Reactions: TriggerJerk!
Yes.

And I am still working on how to get the right DOPE for my rifle. The moon is out, and I have been shooting at it, but can't seem to spot my misses😀

When I shoot a nautical mile and my projectile is traveling in km and the cross wind is in light years I tend to use MIA. Adding MOA and MIL (MIA) together makes it so much easier! Talk about out smarting your common sense!?!?!

Reactions: TriggerJerk!
@Rocketvapor defined MILOA on page 4 or 5 of this thread. As publication confers copyright, you’ll have to talk with him.

And yes @Jscb1b, I am afraid I need a bigger cartridge for this task....AU_ELR!!
I am pretty sure I am going subsonic before I get to ~258k miles😀

Woodford Reserve and one big ice cube.

Cheers!
Years ago I got one of these:

Spherical Ice Press

Here is where my engineering actually might come in handy: You ever notice when you put square-ish icecubes in a drink, it tends to melt into a generally more roundish edges?

That is the same phenomenon that causes the drink to get diluted faster. By starting with completely spherical ice, it dilutes the drink slower for the amount of heat it absorbs out of the drink.

Being I ask a lot of questions and can answer very few questions, I will tell a MIL vs MOA story from today.
I shot a group at 400 yards today. I was a 2 inch group 2 inches low. 2 inch group at 200 yards is 0.5 MOA.
I couldn't see the holes in the target so couldn't measure with my MIL reticle, had to walk to the target, look and then do math.
Googled the conversion from MOA to MIL
Take 0.5MOA, divide by 3.43 and find the correction is 0.145 mil. My scope only has 0.1 MIL clicks, so click one and try again.
Also in my looking for answers I found this

1614567552919.png

Thank you all for MIL vs MOA February.

Also I somehow copied a picture of a naked Florida guy and cant make it go away.

Attachments

• 1614567492096.png
    1614567492096.png
    227.5 KB · Views: 56
Being I ask a lot of questions and can answer very few questions, I will tell a MIL vs MOA story from today.
I shot a group at 400 yards today. I was a 2 inch group 2 inches low. 2 inch group at 200 yards is 0.5 MOA.
I couldn't see the holes in the target so couldn't measure with my MIL reticle, had to walk to the target, look and then do math.
Googled the conversion from MOA to MIL
Take 0.5MOA, divide by 3.43 and find the correction is 0.145 mil. My scope only has 0.1 MIL clicks, so click one and try again.
Also in my looking for answers I found this

View attachment 7569687
Thank you all for MIL vs MOA February.

Also I somehow copied a picture of a naked Florida guy and cant make it go away.
Two inch group at 200 yards is 1ish MOA.

• Haha
Reactions: 308pirate
Years ago I got one of these:

Spherical Ice Press

Here is where my engineering actually might come in handy: You ever notice when you put square-ish icecubes in a drink, it tends to melt into a generally more roundish edges?

That is the same phenomenon that causes the drink to get diluted faster. By starting with completely spherical ice, it dilutes the drink slower for the amount of heat it absorbs out of the drink.
I have a similar product for making round ice balls. Silicone, and slows the freezing to get clear ice. Love it.

I have a similar product for making round ice balls. Silicone, and slows the freezing to get clear ice. Love it.
I tried those, but they always cracked when getting them out of the mold.

To slow the freezing (and, more importantly, only freezing from one direction, I got a small cooler, fill up the water cups with ice, put a layer of them at the bottom of the cooler, then fill the surrounding space with water. That way, it only freezes from the top down, and produces really clear ice.

I have not had a problem with either of mine. Let them freeze then rinse them under running water to open.

I will try to locate the brand for you.

Thanks for that graphic. Now I can use 0.8 : 2.75 as a quick reference for quick and easy mil/moa math in the field.

I'm beginning to second guess this. I think 1.6 : 5.5 is a better route to memorize and train with. A little easier on the brain housing group. It may come in handy some day when I have to support foreign or domestic entities that use both metric and standard units.