• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

MOA with Mosin Nagants?

So this thread got me interested in accurizing and otherwise improving an M44 I have. Truthfully I wanted somehow improve the looks first. Here it is disassembled.
View attachment 7538951
So I removed the orange laquer, sanded, and linseed oiled it but the wood was too hard to absorb the oil and was still butt ugly.
View attachment 7538903
So I painted it with rattle can cammo colors. I think it turned out ok.
View attachment 7538907View attachment 7538908View attachment 7538909
So a few months ago I started shooting it more and thought about how I could make it shoot better. I bought the accurizing kit from Smith including cork and brass shims and trigger spring. That helped exactly NOT AT ALL. Still shot 5-6moa.

Next step was to replace the trigger which was the worst I've ever felt. So I installed a Timney with safety lever. Pretty much had to butcher the stock to make room but dang thats a nice trigger!

The next step was adding a scout scope. Tried Leuppy but eye relief was too short so I went with the Vortex 2-7. At $150 I had zero expectation of tracking or repeatability but we will see. Here it is at the range.
View attachment 7538913
View attachment 7538914
Unfortunately it still shot like crap with spam can garbage ammo.
View attachment 7538916
So I ordered dies and 195gr bullets. Had some H4350 on hand and worked up a load but still 2.5 to 3 moa was best it would do. So tried 150gr Hornady and Varget. I know you guys are thinking, "Why waste unicorn tears on a Mosin?"

Anyway, with 44.7gr of Varget and 150 Hornady soft Point this little M44 shoots pretty dang good. 1 to 1.5in groups is typical. Man what a difference good ammo made!
View attachment 7538928
I'm very pleased. Next weekend I'll hang some steel at distance and see if the Vortex can keep up.
Nicely done! Wonder how the ammo does in a straight out of box Nagant.

keep the reports coming!

Sirhr

Reactions: GrumpyOleFart
To me trying to make them shoot as well as they can is the fun part. I don't want to replace triggers and such, I want them box stock but very interested on just where you can get with some hand loading. I have brought groups down from minute of basketball to minute of softball, that is very cool, they can shoot well. Never judge an entire....guess I will say gun line....think lump all mosins together, all carcano, all this or that in one bucket. Many of these guns are 100 years old or at least knocking on the door. Who know how they have been stored.

Reactions: Rookie
Agreed. If I had known the most improvement would come with handloads I would have started there. However the original trigger was just awful and made it not fun to shoot.

I don't mind a heavy trigger if it is a good trigger. A heavy clean trigger is workable, it's the ones that are just crappy that I hate. Uneven breaks, gritty, long drags suck.

Slightly tangential but does anyone know of a source for higg quality stripper clips?

I picked some up with a sling on ebay and the new production ones stink. They dont hold the ammo and are difficult to strip.

To me the old guns are to experience in a very small way just what that gun was like new, what that gun was like to hunt/fight/plink with. Last summer I did two early auto loading sporting rifles, a model 8 & 81. The 8 is in 30 rem and the 81 is 300 savage. I was not able to find new factory 30 remington, so loaded to some old manuals using modern 3030 bullets. It is very nice shooting rifle. The 81 on the other hand is just evil, at modern factory loads it is 3 steps past punishing. Download to where it does not shake teeth loose and you have a single shot. Very thick, dense, meaty guns I guess I will say, and the mechanicals are on another level. At the other end of last summers follies was a trapdoor. All my loads are kept in the mid teens or below CUP wise, and the old gun does shoot minute of torso at 100, I think I can get better and want to work up some BP loads for it. I can just imagine having to haul that big thing across south dakota. It was another time, and very interesting.

In post #50 I said:
The Mosin I built for accuracy is neither stock or vintage so I will leave that subject be.
I tested my rifle in a lot of iterations including with the original barrel. When I slugged the original barrel after a particularly disappointing trial the slug fell through the middle third of the barrel , got tight about 6" from the muzzle and then fell out the end. The barrel wasn't counterbored, it was just a wonky 1943 issue. I pulled the barrel and turned a McGowen blank for the rifle. While I was at it I moved the bolt handle rearward and built a bridge on the receiver for a proper scope mount. I also made a chassis to hold it all together. I can't remember which trigger I used, it was either a Timney or a Bold. The rifle had already been hacked on before I received it so I didn't have to worry about keeping it original.

2v2uyUFRrxAjwmD.jpg

2v2uyUFQFxAjwmD.jpg

Agreed. If I had known the most improvement would come with handloads I would have started there. However the original trigger was just awful and made it not fun to shoot.
During the accurization process where did you add shims? Did you torque the action screws to specific inch lb? Did you add cork to the barrel channel at the front barrel band? I assume you sanded out the barrel channel to make sure there was no stock to barrel contact, did you sand the hand guard channel as well?

In post #50 I said:

I tested my rifle in a lot of iterations including with the original barrel. When I slugged the original barrel after a particularly disappointing trial the slug fell through the middle third of the barrel , got tight about 6" from the muzzle and then fell out the end. The barrel wasn't counterbored, it was just a wonky 1943 issue. I pulled the barrel and turned a McGowen blank for the rifle. While I was at it I moved the bolt handle rearward and built a bridge on the receiver for a proper scope mount. I also made a chassis to hold it all together. I can't remember which trigger I used, it was either a Timney or a Bold. The rifle had already been hacked on before I received it so I didn't have to worry about keeping it original.

2v2uyUFRrxAjwmD.jpg

2v2uyUFQFxAjwmD.jpg

Wtf?

Not sure what adjective to use for that thing but bitchin is the first one to mind.

After my m39 on an antique receiver got stolen I decided to turn my first ever centerfire rifle (a Russian Moani) into something awesome. What my distant relatives would have done at the tikkakoski plant in the 30’s. Have never started the project . Now I got something to shoot for

Sorry to resurrect, but as an update, I broke a new personal record yesterday with a succesful hit at an old helmet at 800m (The big bump that did not go through) and kind of consistant hits at the plate also at 800m. :) Also a view through the scope at 500m and a view through the spotter at the 800m targets.

Attachments

• IMG_20230617_100239881.jpg
    IMG_20230617_100239881.jpg
    500 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_20230617_094719884.jpg
    IMG_20230617_094719884.jpg
    420.1 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_20230617_155717031.jpg
    IMG_20230617_155717031.jpg
    859.8 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_20230617_135952916.jpg
    IMG_20230617_135952916.jpg
    322.3 KB · Views: 38
keep at it bet you can get even better groups with enough practicing

I was just reviewing this old thread that I posted in a couple years ago and saw that I missed giving an update. My son and I took the M44 and a few other old military rifles to C3 range on what turned out to be their last week of operation. Sadly. I miss that place. He and I both were able to consistently get hits out to 600 yards on 2moa steel. I cleaned the M44 up and put it away. Mission accomplished. Good memories made with my son and that old rifle. Will pass it down someday.