• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Model 70 into tac driver

Surfeman802003

Private
Minuteman
Jun 25, 2012
Hey guys. I'm new here but not new to shooting. I am active duty army as an 11b. I have attended sniper school as part of a mtt in Germany. Now on to the question my grandfather passed last Christmas and left me a Winchester model 70 " ranger" in 30 06. I am trying to make a budget 1000 yard gun. I have a Nikon pro staff 3-9x40 that my wife got for me. I'm going to start reloading and need some advice. I have free floated the barrel and waiting to glass bed it when I get to ft Carson. What would yall recommend to make this rifle better? Also anyone know good gunsmiths in the Colorado springs area as wel as a good range. Thanks for your help

Re: Model 70 into tac driver

I put a H-S stock on mine, lowered the trigger to about 2lbs, Burris 3-9 FF, its very accurate, 3/4MOA out to 300yds.

I would recommend rebarreling with a good aftermarket barrel, going as heavy as possible, the biggest that will fit in your stock. Also, when doing the rebarrel, have the action/bolt trued up and professionally bedded. Get some good rings/bases, have the trigger tuned, and you should be ready to rock and roll...

I know for a FACT the M70 can be turned into a hell of a precision rifle.

If you want... I can post up pics of one that Randy at R/D Precision did for me.

*Anything can be done to any weapon if you throw enough green at it
smile.gif

I am partial to the m70 30-06. My target rifle is a push feed m70 action all tuned up in a Mcmillan A3 with a heavy barrel. It pushes about 2800 fps and is a sub moa shooter with my hand loads. I shoot steel out past 700 yards with it no problem.

The gun only has 42 rounds through it. So I will wait tore barrel. Plus I'm on a budget

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mm128</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know for a FACT the M70 can be turned into a hell of a precision rifle.

If you want... I can post up pics of one that Randy at R/D Precision did for me.

*Anything can be done to any weapon if you throw enough green at it
smile.gif
</div></div>

PLEASE!!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Willyz54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am partial to the m70 30-06. My target rifle is a push feed m70 action all tuned up in a Mcmillan A3 with a heavy barrel. It pushes about 2800 fps and is a sub moa shooter with my hand loads. I shoot steel out past 700 yards with it no problem. </div></div> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Willyz54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am partial to the m70 30-06. My target rifle is a push feed m70 action all tuned up in a Mcmillan A3 with a heavy barrel. It pushes about 2800 fps and is a sub moa shooter with my hand loads. I shoot steel out past 700 yards with it no problem. </div></div>
What is a good load to start with.

First.... THANK YOU for your service.

The Winchester M70 are known for the their accuracy out of the box. The newer "tactical" line of .308s and similar calibers are named the STEALTH model. I am NOT sure when that name started or if its what they still go by. They are available though.

Since you have the action...ie 30-06 you could EASILY have a L/A .308

First pic is one RANDY at R/D Precision did:

Winchester M70 Stealth HEAVY
24" Threaded with R.A.D Break
Bolt Knob
Badger Metal
McMillan A3 Adj Comb
US Optics Base/Rings
Leupold M4 6.5-25-50mm TMR
Harris Swivel/Tilt Bipod

LOVES 175 Black Hills and 178 Hornady AMAX.

P6250007.jpg

P6250006.jpg

P6250005.jpg

Second Rifle... IS OLD..

Winchester M70... Dated to 1940's - .308 Caliber
Has Olympic Front Globe
England Match Rear
Adj 4 way butt stock
Palm Stop
Barrel is HEAVY and 25.5"

*Setup as a Palma rifle

P6030003.jpg

P6030002.jpg

P6030001.jpg

Hope this helps... theres many ways you can go.. All will cost some money but there are TONS of good builders on here that I am sure will help you out and get you what you want.

Matt (LEO SOUTH GA.)

Here she is, my M70. The action has been trued, rebarreled into a heavy contour barrel, bedded in a McMillan A3 stock, badger bolt knob, and a NF 5.5-22x50 scope. My load for this rifle is 56.5 gr of IMR 4350 in surplus military Lake City Brass with a FGM 210 primer pushing a 178 Amax. Based on JBM, I think I am getting about 2775-2800 FPS. As with any load, I started low and worked my way up.
McChx.jpg

Willy that is exactly what I want. Just for half the price!! Haha. Know anyone with a McMillan stock they would want to sell for a good price?

No matter what polish you put on it, that model 70 with its pencil thin barrel will NEVER perform the way you want. Sure, you may get a couple decent shots...until the barrel gets SMOKING hot. In addition, with its light weight, it will beat the crap out of you if you plan on shooting more than a few rounds at a time and follow up shots will be somewhat difficult.

Can you have fun with it? Sure. Will it make a good LR tactical rifle. Nope.

To morph it into a proper tool for the job...Stock, at least $400. Barrel, at least $500. Another $200+ if you true the action. Trigger will work with a little adjusting. You can get away with the stock bottom metal. The scope is FAR from ideal.

You would be ALOT better off selling it buying something more suitable.

Also, bed it with Devcon...or at least marine tex. "Glass" went out with parachute pants.

My Winchester, formerly a XTR in .243, has had a GAP treatment and is now a 280AI. This rifle is more accurate than I am. My main hunting rifle, but shot it at a match this spring.

Winchester PF action
Bartlein 26" Medium Palma 1:9
Manners T
Williams BM
DSC01083.jpg

DSC01084.jpg

And I don't want to sell it. My grandfather gave it to me and it's the first rifle I've ever shot.

I have had a few-
GAP 7wsm
Toyos056.jpg

M70 with unknown 1-10tw 300wsm barrel
Throwit001.jpg

7wsm factory coyote
Pics071.jpg

Should have NEVER SOLD ANY OF THOSE!

Mark Gordon (of Short Action Customs) did his superb work on my .300 wsm Win 70.

IMG_0575.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GardDog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mark Gordon (of Short Action Customs) did his superb work on my .300 wsm Win 70.

IMG_0575.jpg
</div></div>

He does awesome work on the Model 70s.

Wonder if we could get one of the esteemed smiths on here to chime in with their views on what all is needed in order to tune up a Model 70...

I couldn't be happier with the service/ products I've received on ALL my builds at GAP. This rifle was built by Moon.

+1 on GAP

I sent my M70 Winchester 300wsm off to GAP in Aug. of last year to be rebuilt as a 7wsm. It’s strictly my plains (S.E. Colo. speed goat) hunting rifle. Sad to read Moon is no longer at GAP.

26” Bartlein 5R #7 barrel 1 in 8.7 twist
Manners MCS-T3 rifle stock
Stock bedding
True-up and square action
Tune trigger to 2.5 lbs
20 MOA Badger scope rail
Cerakote finish
Titan Muzzle Brake

Total cost, a little over 2K.

What is the best way to tune a model70 trigger? Aftermarket?

What is required in terms of getting lock time down?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lw8</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is the best way to tune a model70 trigger? Aftermarket?

What is required in terms of getting lock time down? </div></div>

2 1/4" wrenchs are all you need to "tune" an m70.

Unless you are shooting alot of positional shooting, lock time is a non-issue. Otherwise you need to mess with the FP weight and spring.

Surferman, if you want to do the build right, you'll really need both a stock and a barrel to start. If you get a heavy barrel, it may not fit in your factory hunting stock's barrel channel. If you get a big tactical stock first, it's going to look really goofy with that slim factory barrel. The best way to do it is save for a barrel/stock combination. Once you have it, have a smith barrel it and then bed it to your stock. After that, you can mess with all the other components, like the scope, trigger, etc.

Here is my model 70 crf tac driver...
300 win mag
Manners T2
Schneider p5 1-10 28inch
SSG mini extreme brake

near006.jpg

near003.jpg

Your win 70 ranger might be worth $400 in the excellent condition you describe.

Probably be a fine gun to learn the ropes with. As others said, trigger tuned to 2#, free float the barrel and bed the stock, use Sierra's match load data as starting point.

Not really worth building a 1000yd gun from your Ranger though, in the harsh realities of economics.

While the .30-06 is a fine long distance round, Winchester did not build any LR rifles in that chambering other than match guns; at least I've never seen a .30-06 Laredo. I would sell the Ranger and look for a .308win chambered Heavy Varmint. These came with H-S Precision stock and a match grade Wilson (I think) heavy stainless barrel 24" oal. Also comes with bottom floorplate assy. Can likely find one like new for about $800 on Gunbroker or around $600 used good condition.

A better choice if really want a 1000yd contender is a "new Winchester" from FN-Herstal. The Patrol rifle is very fine, same price range as the Heavy Varmint. The Police rifle is equivalent to a full-blown custom with McMillan stock and these go for from $1k to $1500; more if factory supplied Leupold Mk4 scope is included (FBI model).

Then there is the new Tikka match rifle for about $1400 to consider. The FN-H has a match grade chrome-lined barrel that will likely last forever though.

You might be able to find a used Laredo stock, and a used match barrel to build with, but still would need a floorplate assy and you are talking spending about $600 or more, minimum. Economics and time being what they are, if you really want to learn LR shooting, better to start with a basic gun built for that purpose. I would go FN-H w/24" barrel and buy best deal I could find on either the PBR (H-S stock model) or a Police.

I would rather try something that no one else does and fail than follow the crowd. I would really like some help on a good starter optic for LR? I've chosen my stock. Just have to figue out a barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Surferman802003</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would rather try something that no one else does and fail than follow the crowd. I would really like some help on a good starter optic for LR? I've chosen my stock. Just have to figue out a barrel. </div></div>

Which stock did you decide on? I run a night force on my LR 30-06 but i just picked up an FFP vortex viper pst for my 7wsm and after trying it out I have to say it is a pretty nice scope and a pretty good price.

I like your attitude, build it the way you want it and keep Grandpa's action. As for a barrel, if you're looking to shoot out 1000yds, you'll want a heavy barrel. I would go with a Rock Creek barrel, M24 contour, 1 in 11.27 twist, fluting looks cool, but doesn't do much else. For length, it's up to you, I like a carbine barrel for utility, 20 or 21", other guys want as much steel as possible.

I chose a McMillan A5. I also am looking at a Winchester match barrel. It's weird. I shot a 10x at school and was happy with it. I think I just need to find a fixed 10x in mildot with turrets.

For a budget optic...Vortex PST 4-16 is what I run and am happy with it, however the tactical weaver would be a good choice as well both can be had in ffp which is nice. If you don't mind a fix power the SWFA fixed 10 aint a bad scope at all. All three of these come up pretty often in the optics for sale so check there and you can get a good deal.Stand by what you want and you will be happy, build it as you get the cash and shoot as much as possible then when its all tricked out your as good as the gun is.

2nd on the trigger adjustment. All you need for an M70 is two 1/4" wrenchs. Take the action out of the stock and you will see what we mean. You can tune these triggers like no other. Make sure to clean all of the glue off of the nuts with lighter fluid first so that you do not strip the nuts. You will see what we mean. Very straight forward.

I am going to go against the grain on this one and say that you shouldn't do anything to it. It was your Grandfather's gun and down the road you might regret making all the suggested changes to it. Keep it for the sentimental value, shoot it when you feel like it. I think you would be better off going with a new FN SPR. You can get a hell of a gun right out of the box and TAC-Cord here on the hide sells them rather reasonably. Once you true it up put a new barrel and stock on it you are almost spending the same money that you would for a new gun. Go ahead and do the trigger adjustment, that you can do yourself, and might improve the guns accuracy a great deal, but I would otherwise keep it as is. Just my thoughts.

I'm in a similar situation, rather than build a Comp gun I'm going with the long range rock chuck killer. It'l be my 4th gun in the rack on varmint hunts. 6.5-06 keeping the original curley maple stock in the safe and getting a laminated stock for the varmint hunt. Going to weight it up and put a bipod on it. The barrel on mine is a fairly heavy contour so I'm going to send it in and have it replicated in the 6.5 and I'm going to run a Leupold Vx2 on it with the target turrets. I live < 5 miles from their factory and have had fine luck with their custom shop.
smile.gif

ANd for this I just don't need the upper end coatings...

Dave

Craven has a good point...down the road you can build 1000 rifles if u choose but can't get another model 70 your grandfather gave to you

Craven. I appreciate the thought but you have to understand my grandfather. About 5 years ago this man had a small armory in his basement. 69 long guns 43 pistols and 7 shotguns ranging from little .22 purse guns up to a .458 elephant killer. He taught me how to shoot and made me understand the basics. It's not that I am messing up his gun or even trashing the gun. It's more of something I wanted to do with him before the cancer got him. We had been talking about starting to shoot LR or even possible ELR. So to me this would almost be a gun build in honor of him. Defiantly want to figure out the trigger. Talked to a guy about it and he told me I couldn't get it down to 2.5 lbs without replacing it. Any suggestions.

I had a Win 70 in 30-06 and had it re barreled to 300WM with a krieger. Its amazing. Thats one avenue. 30-06 is not really an ideal 1000 yrd cartridge .

The other model 70 I shot it to see how it worked out. In 338 win mag, thinking I might re-barrel it, but found a .5 inch load and kept the wood stock and whole bit.

Now that you got that massive McMillian, maybe re barrel?

Gramps had a hundred or more guns and you're sentimental over a bargain-basement rifle he gave you which he never shot or hunted with? And now you're gonna dump $1000 into a McM A5 stock and you want to know what barrel to buy???

Undoubtedly you'll want a Krieger #17 contour SS match barrel, fluted and threaded for brake or suppressor. You're surely gonna go suppressed; ain'tcha? All the cool guys here do it and it's only another couple of grand and a 6mo wait....

Seriously, exciting as this bullshit seems you are about to dump a bunch of money into a custom build on a rifle action that no one wants or builds on. Win 70 pushfeed actions are fine and high quality but the cool guys don't build with them and even match guns built by legendary gunsmiths languish for buyers.

You dump money into this for sentimentality and your gramps probably be rolling in his grave.

You're looking at $1000 for stock and floorplate or detach mag assemblies, maybe more. Barrel is $600 including fluting and then costs you another $250 to fit, finish, chamber and testfire. Add another $300 if you want your McMillan professionally bedded. So.... for the $2000 more you seem to be ready to commit to your LongRange Rifle Project, you will end up with a gun you will NEVER get money out of because it ain't what anyone else wants to buy...

I forgot to add the compulsory "action truing" job, add another $300 for that or more...

As a reality check, aside from German Salazar who is the internet patron saint of .30-06 precision shooters (see www.accurateshooter.com) not many guys are building or shooting the .30-06. Most are going Short Action 6.5mm in varying configurations to get much less recoil and highest ballistic performance possible....

The Win 70 action most in demand is the Classic or Controlled Round Feed design. Lots of .300win mag chambered Laredo rifles out there, and they go for about $750 in as-new condition on gunbroker.com. The 7mm rem mag version is likely a better proposition for longrange target work as the BC of 7mm bullets like the 162gr A-max is superior to any .30cal bullet under 220gr. Lighter bullets, lighter powder charge means less recoil and typically better accuracy. The 7mm rem mag is very versatile so you aren't having to reinvent the wheel.

Of course, nothing better than being one of the guys here... But when you dump $2500 and 8mos of your life into a rifle that won't bring you $1200 on a sale even if never fired, or you shoot it and then decide you need to rechamber, you'll find much of this hobby is just a moneypit.

Listen man. Imnot sure why your being such an ass. Why do u care what I spend or how I spend. And oh yea all the cool guys stuff right. I've been deployed twice to Iraq and once to afghan and the last two tours as a b4. Which if u don't know what that is then u won't understand. I'm looking to make MY rifle. I'm asking some help cause I'm new to the civilian side of LR. So instead of being a Dick keep shitty comments of here. Thanks and have a great day.

Obviously since it's your grandfathers rifle, and you already stated you don't have any interest in selling it....it doesn't really matter how much you put into it, or resale value so I don't know what that was all about. As far as .30-06 not being a good 1000 yard round I think their are MANY people who would disagree. They are thousands that shoot the .308 at 1000 yards and with handloading the .30-06 is undeniably superior so if thats what you want do it.

It is true there are better long range rounds out there but .30-06 is still in the game if you reload, if not you might want to consider doing it in .308 for the availability of off the shelf match rounds. I wouldn't blow off a guy that knows what he is doing with a .30-06....he might hand you your ass.

Bottom line it's your rifle and your money, make a plan (your stock choice, a desired barrel length, profile, and caliber) and pursue it until it's done. You will have a keeper that is more than capable of making up to and beyond 1000 yard shots if your able, and it will have the added cool factor of being your grandfathers passed down rifle.

People can say what they want, but build this rifle the way you want and enjoy it.

And as far as the comments about the lack of top name smiths to work on your Mod 70 that is BS also.

Some guy named Chad Dixon
grin.gif
has a soft spot in his heart for the 70's.

Good Luck Sir!

There is a pretty decent shop around Denver called TJ's Gunsmithing. Also as far as glass Burris makes some great stuff for the price.

My first rifle build was on a mod 70 action. I had it chambered in 7mm Rem mag. and I couldn't be happier with it. I had the action trued, trigger adjusted to 2.5lbs, used a Hart barrel and put it in a McMillan A3 stock. There is nothing wrong with the 30-06 cartridge. Since you want to start reloading you should not have any problem finding a suitable load for LR shooting. Just match your barrel with the bullet you want to shoot. For LR shooting I like 175gr. Berger VLD's or Seirra Match Kings. But there are other bullets that will work. As far as glass goes I spent the money and went with NightForce NXS and it would be hard to beat. I have used a Vortex Viper PST and a Bushnell Elite Tactical. Both scopes have worked very well. Do as much research as you can and build what you want. Good luck and enjoy your rifle.

I've a Winchester 70 Classic (CRF) in 7mm Mag that was a gift from a retired professional guide.

A Leupold 3.5-10x40 sits on top of that rifle. The scope was a gift from my Dad, a retired 11B (and B4 ASI, along with the rest of the 11B fun schools that go with a full career in the infantry).

That rifle stays set up as those two men would have set it up.

Personally, if it weren't a heirloom rifle, I'd put a Krieger barrel, CDI bottom metal for AICS magazines, and a McMillan A-4 stock on it. On top would be a Nightforce NXS scope.

As for optics, yeah, fixed 10X is mainly for utility, perfectly fine. With scopes, it really comes down to what you want to spend, the options are limitless. Most of my clients go with Leupold and Nightforce for tactical rigs, but there are some less expensive options that have been mentioned that work fine. As for the trigger, the 70 can be tuned down with two wrenches, but to complete the job you should also lessen the sear engagement to really make it crisp and clean, which should be done by a gunsmith---the life you save could be your own. Good choice on the stock.

For the money I'm seriously looking at the bushnell elite tactical series. I have the ability to get them at an amazing price. Any suggestions?

Surferman802003 it's your rifle, do what you want with it. If you and your Granddad talked about building it then do what somebody said and build it in his honor. To hell with what's "cool", do what you want. If you want a 30/06, build one. Very few people can outshoot a well built 30/06. Who gives a shit if it's not a new laser thunderboomer that eats barrels. If your on a budget, look at a Shilen barrel. I have one on a 300WM that was built by a friend. They're not the most popular barrel, but they shoot great and they're cheaper than a lot of others. I paid less than $200 for a chromoly #8 contour from Brownells. For a stock, look on forums & ebay. You never know what you will find. Scopes aren't hard either. Look at a Bushnell Elite 4200 or a Sightron SIII. I have both and no complaints about either. Like I said, build what you want and enjoy it. Good luck and show us some before & after pics.

If you want a reliable trigger under 3 lbs, I'd get a Jewell trigger. Under 3 lbs on the stock trigger and it gets a bit dicey. I'm not saying it cant be done, but setting the trigger at 2.75 lbs on my M70 made the trigger have a sloppy break.

To save money, a pull off stock from the varmint rifles might be the best bet. They're HS Precision Pro stocks and are pillar bedded, priced $200-300 a piece. Torqued to spec, my rifle gets 1/2 moa or better at 200 yards.

I haven't looked into barrels. I still have a SS factory barrel.