• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Modern Day Swiss Project (lots of pics)

cundiff5535

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 25, 2012
Mokena IL
Before I start this write up, I would like to say... There is no need to tell me that I should not have modified a war time rifle. The idea that a surplus rifle like these are rare is some kind of rare somewhat ridiculous to me but, I know lots of folks think it.... With that said, I love old K31 rifles and have many... so in loo of having more than 10, I didn't think that a "project" rifle like the one I did was a big deal.

I began by buying a bunch of K31 rifles from AIM over the winter (last time they were in stock! I went ahead and did some light sanding and wood working to them along with putting some cold blue on the worn spots. They all came out very cool and I couldn't be happier with those.

Like with anything... I can help myself and thought I would make a one of a kind Modern Day Swiss Sniper Rifle. First I'll list what parts I used and what was done... Ill follow that up with pictures! I always like comments and feedback but, again, if you are going to tell me how you should not do this to a war time rifle, please just move on!

Parts List:
K31
Rock Solid Mount
Vortex Viper PST
Seekins Low Rings
Seekins SRS Rail
Atlas Bi-pod
SJC Titan Comp
Midnight Black Cerakote

I originally took this K31 and sent it to Chris Bizianes and had him and Mickey modify the actual stock. Since the barreled action was needed with the stock for proper bedding and fitting I had to wait to get the stuff back. While this was away, I made a quick call to my friend Chris Schiff from Sport Optics. Chris has always taken care of me on optics so, I was able to grab a Vortex Viper PST from him. I also found an Atlas Bi-pod and Seekins rings in the forum EE. I finally got the stock and action back from Chris B and sent it out to Rock Solid for there K31 scope mount! I was obviously extremely excited to get the thing back to start Cerakote on it...

A few weeks later, the barreled action arrived. After thinking it through, I decided to heat up the barrel and knock the front and rear sights off her. Believe it or not, the came right off... no issue! I decided to call another friend John P from PPK firearms restoration to ask him about threading the barrel on it:) He said no issue and in a few hours he had it threaded and ready to go.

From there I started reading about compensator and muzzle breaks. It ultimately came down to the Lantac and SJC Titian comp... for whatever reason, I went with the SJC break.

Once the comp came in, I took it all over to my shop and blasted it all down. I custom mixed some cerakote (Bright Purple, Graphite Black, and Armor Black) and went to work. I also decided to coat the trigger in USMC Red to give it a little detail and blend in the side Swiss Cross along with the VV scope dials. It worked out perfectly:) Lastly, I threw it all in the ovens and baked it to full cure.

The ring and bi-pod came in and I realized that I needed an SRS rail to mount the Atlas... I called the good folks at Seekins (they are great) and asked what would work for my situation. Rail showed up a few days later and it was time to get her all together:)

I took and started to assembled the rifle... OH NO. Upon putting the Seekins rings on my rifle, it was clear that either the rings were cut wrong or... the rail was cut wrong. Easy to test this out... If the rings fit another rifle, the mount was cut wrong, if the rings didn't fit, the rings were cut wrong... Guess what the issues was? The freakin mount.

Back to the shop... I called one of my friends (Rik M) to give me a hand with the rest of the work... He took a few measurements and into the mill the mount went. We had to mill the entire mount as each space was off... To add to that, whoever installed the mount used incorrect screws... SMDH. Now I was getting pissed. For a $275 mount, this freaking thing should have been PERFECT. It was not. And the installer used hardened screws which were not even the correct size for the mount. Rik fixed it all for me... so shout out to him on a hell of a job fixing Rock Solids mistakes.

Once the mount was cut correct, we touched it up with some cold blue paste (its a steel mount) and reinstalled it on the receiver:) Rik also installed the SRS Rail and the bi-pod fit perfectly!

I have to say, this was a hell of a fun project and its now a one of a kind K! It will most likely become my favorite rifle as I love my other K's. Below is a start to finish account of the project. She took me right around 3 months from start to finish on this.

Again, big thanks to all the fellas who helped out on the project. All feedback and thoughts are welcome:)!!

Last edited:
After we fixed the mount, no issue at all at this point. Shoots as good as it looks! I only got a chance to test fire it a few rounds but, Ill get a range report up as soon as I can! I have been slammed with work lately.

That's one heck of a project. What was your inspiration for the stock?

That's one heck of a project. What was your inspiration for the stock?

Richner in Switzerland makes something similar. I might have sent it off to Larry Racine for a better, heavier barrel to really wring out everything from the cartridge.

What kind of paint is on the stock? Looks like the stuff they use on Boyd's tacticool; and I would really like to know how to replicate it.

P.S. Makes you wonder if the bolt will eject .473-faced brass....

This is awesome and I have thought of a similar project myself, but nothing as cool as this. Did you think of modifying it to accept AICS mags? With that and a heavier barrel, this should be a decent competition gun.

Shamir

Richner in Switzerland makes something similar. I might have sent it off to Larry Racine for a better, heavier barrel to really wring out everything from the cartridge.

Maybe I will do this in the future:) Now you got me thinking!

This is awesome and I have thought of a similar project myself, but nothing as cool as this. Did you think of modifying it to accept AICS mags? With that and a heavier barrel, this should be a decent competition gun.

Shamir

Man... that would have been sweet. I wish I would have thought of this. I wounder how much modifying this would take... Maybe Ill look into this a little bit more:) Nice thoughts

Great job, looks like it turned out to be an outstanding and unique rifle!!

Ha, I just commented on Josh's thread that I am considering a similar build off a K31, but in a 6 or 6.5.

You did a great job! Looking forward to the range report.

Can someone here elaborate on the AICS Mag suggestion? Anyone tried this mod? I am assuming it will take some work to the stock and the likes... anyone?

If tinkering with a military rifle is wrong I wouldn't want to be right. Way cool build, I've been wanting a K31 may have to get two. One to leave original and one to modify

What kind of paint is on the stock? Looks like the stuff they use on Boyd's tacticool; and I would really like to know how to replicate it.

P.S. Makes you wonder if the bolt will eject .473-faced brass....

Wobbly. I think 7.5x55 is something like .496?

Just tagged myself in that thread... good info there:)
I have thought that a good straight pull bolt action would make a great competition gun. From all I have heard, the Swiss K31 would make a great platform. If you could make it work with AICS mags, and chamber it in 6.5x55 with a heavy match barrel, it should be awesome. Even nicer if you could do 2 of them, and keep one in 7.5x55 as a trainer with cheap Swiss GP11 ammo, and the other one in 6.5x55 as a match gun. Or even make a custom 6x55.

Shamir

Bet you are the only one at the range with that. Excellent craftsmanship. A lot of the monkeyed with mil guns turn out horrible. This is not one of those times. It reminded me of a TRG. Awesome job.

Ryan

Wow. Outstanding work. Please explain how you got the thumbhole part to the stock? If I am seeing this right, you have two pieces of wood sandwiching the original cut down part of the stock. But how did you make that strong enough to handle recoil? Please explain the stock making process, I'm really intrigued!

Wow. Outstanding work. Please explain how you got the thumbhole part to the stock? If I am seeing this right, you have two pieces of wood sandwiching the original cut down part of the stock. But how did you make that strong enough to handle recoil? Please explain the stock making process, I'm really intrigued!

Hey Hesco... yes, you are correct on your observation. The process was the exact same that stockmakers used in making a laminated gun stock. IE: The stock is made of wood, and then pressed together, while being bonded using an adhesive and a final epoxy. As with a Laminate stock they are extremely strong, by layering the wood, the grains will be crossed giving the finished product a lot more strength! If done correctly, the wood is not be prone to bending or warping from moistures, oils, or humidity. Its definitely strong enough for the recoil of a rifle:) (This is the process Byods or any stock making company uses when they make there stocks).

Hope that helps:)!

Really cool. I want to try this when I get back to reality. Expect some PMs in the beginning of next year.

Excellent job! I'm one of those guys who typically doesn't like to see mil-surp guns messed with but your job is impressive and looks like a genuine improvement. Please post some range reports, my stock K31 is a hammer, I'd be interested in what your modified K31 can do.

Thanks again for all the comments on this project! Hope to have a range report on this soon... (get to the range over the weekend)