• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Molle vest setup? PB Interceptor type(armor)

Creature

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 23, 2007
I'm setting up a Pointblank Interceptor IIIA+plate carrier and need some ideas about pouch configuration. I'm sure many of you have been through this before and i thought I'd pick your brains.

The setup would be for a short-medium range AR platform. I was thinking I'd run 6 AR mags across the bottom (individually, not stacked). I'm kind of at a loss as to where would be the best location for a sidearm/pistol mags. I was also thinking about essentials like Otis cleaning kit, small med kit, multitool, writing utensils, etc.

If you would please share your carrier setups or ideas I would appreciate it. Pics would be great too.

Re: Molle vest setup? PB Interceptor type(armor)

You can get AR mag pouches with a pistol mag pouch sewn to the front. I switched all my pouches from malice clips to Molly stix. Won't ever go back.

I run all my long gun kit on my vest, and have my pistol and pistol mags on a duty belt with keepers. If you need to ditch the vest, youre not ditching your pistol and pistol mags.

Here is my setup I am by no means a super cool high speed low drag tacticool operator or anything but I tried to keep the vest well thought out in my case its a Banshee Plate carrier from tag all the pouches are from TAG as well.
I run AR mags doubled on the front an admin pouch w/ flashlight above that to the right and a double pistol pouch above that to the left on the right side of the vest I keep my medical kit and the left side holds other utility items some flex cuffs etc. The pouch in the back would be emptied if I had my backpack but will hold enough basic survival gear to get me through a few days. I have already checked cleareance and as I carry my pistol in a drop leg rig the pouches don't impede my draw.
d9281525.jpg

01999366.jpg

Very helpful gentlemen. I hadn't considered doubling up the AR mags and moving them to one side. That would probably afford me the space to put a sidearm in it's place. I'm not a huge fan of drop leg holsters and I can't carry on my hip either. Hmmmmm...

Confused... is this for work or to play in the yard and take cool pictures in? Don't take any offense to that, just trying to figure out what type of set up you would want.

For long gun set ups, you don't want to attach gear in the front of your plate carrier, but a vest that opens in the front so you can get into the prone without sitting a foot off of the ground works best.

For DA work/patrolling just place things where you can get to them easily. Practice doing emergency reloads with your kit in different positions and see what works for you. What works for one person wont work for another.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: victory</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Confused... is this for work or to play in the yard and take cool pictures in? Don't take any offense to that, just trying to figure out what type of set up you would want.

For long gun set ups, you don't want to attach gear in the front of your plate carrier, but a vest that opens in the front so you can get into the prone without sitting a foot off of the ground works best.

For DA work/patrolling just place things where you can get to them easily. Practice doing emergency reloads with your kit in different positions and see what works for you. What works for one person wont work for another.
</div></div>

This is for if I'm in a situation where I'm getting shot at and want to be able to return fire/maneuver as efficiently as possible. I thought the purpose of body armor/tac vests was pretty straight forward...

I have a stand alone plate carrier for work, this will be for serious crisis/natural disaster in an urban area. To be more specific, to defend or move my family at/to a safe location. It will be feeding a 10.5 suppressed AR with NF 2.5-10x24 using a two point TAB Gear sling. I prefer to sling the rifle muzzle down along the right side of my body. This great for quick mounting but is creating the barrier in regards to sidearm placement. I much prefer the two-point with a cuff to a single point.

The main thing i was looking for here was to see how others had their carriers setup. If people had tons of time working with carriers/vests and would offer their wisdom on the matter it would be great.

The Good point about running stuff on top of the plates. Problem is there's not a ton of space aside from the front.

6 ar mags, 2 pistol mags, and a pistol is a lot to put on the front of a vest. If you double up the ar mags and put the pistol mags in front of them, this would leave room above them for a holster for the pistol. But his is going to stick out quite a bit from you body and may make movement a little more difficult. I only carry my pistol on my vest if I absolutely have to, otherwise a short drop holster on a belt or thigh holster leave a lot more room on the vest.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Creature</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: victory</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Confused... is this for work or to play in the yard and take cool pictures in? Don't take any offense to that, just trying to figure out what type of set up you would want.

</div></div>

This is for if I'm in a situation where I'm getting shot at and want to be able to return fire/maneuver as efficiently as possible. I thought the purpose of body armor/tac vests was pretty straight forward... <span style="color: #FF0000">Actually it isn't straight forward and there are a lot of different setups for what you are doing. IE: you are doing direct action and will be spending a lot of time kicking in doors and working with others in a stack clearing rooms, sitting on a mountain top over watching, on a patrol getting in and out of vehicles, or a dismounted patrol. All involve people shooting at you, but not all require the same setup.</span>

I have a stand alone plate carrier for work, this will be for serious crisis/natural disaster in an urban area. To be more specific, to defend or move my family at/to a safe location. It will be feeding a 10.5 suppressed AR with NF 2.5-10x24 using a two point TAB Gear sling. I prefer to sling the rifle muzzle down along the right side of my body. This great for quick mounting but is creating the barrier in regards to sidearm placement. I much prefer the two-point with a cuff to a single point. <span style="color: #FF0000">From what I am understanding you are using an Interceptor vest, which is not a plate carrier, but a combo of soft armor and plates.These vest are used to cover a large variety of threats; small arms, blast, and fragmentary. Not sure if you have an IOTV, OTV, or the old IBA</span>

The main thing i was looking for here was to see how others had their carriers setup. If people had tons of time working with carriers/vests and would offer their wisdom on the matter it would be great.

The Good point about running stuff on top of the plates. Problem is there's not a ton of space aside from the front. </div></div>

<span style="color: #FF0000">From what you described, if right handed, I would try to place 2 single stack mag shingles on your weak side. How you accomplish this depends on which model you have. If you let us know which you have, I can give you detailed info on how to accomplish this even though there is limited room.
</span>

this is crazy I was getting ready to start a thread for the same exact purpose but you beat me to it. Im all ears gentlemen.

Also there is absolutely no reason to ever EVER have an otis kit on your kit

Okay, been down this road! First off, in our Stryker unit when all this gear came out in around '01, we were allowed to pretty much set them up how we wanted. They had a recommended setup that came with the gear, and some douchebag garrison commanders were more concerned that we all looked the same in field and wanted that.

Eventually most of them came around.

The whole Molle setup actually came with a LBE sort of like a Harris vest but better. An old "ranger" trick as it was called, was to loop the front of the vest together with one of the three double mag pouches that came with it, and then put it on "backwards" (like a snuggie?) and cinch it up high where the mags were on your chest (or however high you like it) and I think we set it up so we could clip the belt in the back sort of on the side. This worked a LOT better than wearing it the regular way and a lot of people did this once it caught on.

But right outside the Madigan Gate at Ft. Lewis in Tillicum is where Tactical Tailor is located. They'd make custom stuff and they have a whole line of gear. Many folks got those, and to be honest, they were the best things going at the time. They made gear infantrymen wanted. I would have plopped down the $200+ to get one myself, but the "ranger" trick worked well enough until I got out. But if you want a good setup for mags and gear, I'd look hard them. Blackhawk made some good stuff too, I used one of their vests with a built in camelback when I was a SAW gunner. I got it at the surplus store used for like $30-$40 I think. It just worked better for me with those pouches. That drag handle held up pretty well too, and I suppose with armor and gear, I weighed a good 300lbs. if not more and one time I think I was dragged about a quarter mile.

I also would sometimes use SAW pouches for regular mags too. They hold seven 30rd. mags perfectly. I'd usually put them on the assault pack or the ruck though, as I usually carried 21 mags on me.

I liked to keep the armor bare. It was much easier to doff the junk and put on the important stuff like your ammo and water if need be. Also, the original Molle armor vests came without loops in the middle. For me, this was a total no-go, as I like my mags up high just below my tits (some like 'em on the belly) and straight across, not with a big gap in the middle that puts the mags at the armpits basically. The newer ones have loops all the way across. They came with doubles so that is what I used at the time, and to be honest, they were pretty nice because you only have the breadth of three across instead of six (which will put them under the pits, hard to reach).

No matter what I wore, I always had my compass in a bandage pouch and a little aluminum cylinder tied on the left vertical strap or whatever was there to tie it to. The cylinder had ear plugs and other little shit. I kept a good size buttpack and kept extra socks, a poncho and liner, cleaning kit and some other shit. I never drew my bayonet, but have a K-Bar with one of those plastic sheaths and it would go on the rigger belt I wore. I'd also carry an extra compass tied off to the rigger belt too. The helmet had maps, protractor, pictures, that kind of stuff.

Some folks, a lot of folks actually, just put all the shit on the vest itself. It was just easier for them and they figured they had to wear it all times anyway (and many of them did, especially plain 11B). If that is the case, go for it. Some put their mags ridiculously low if you ask me, but to each his own. Lost of them didn't use the canteens in leiu of camel backs, but the Molle kit came with both. They put the 'teens on the ruck or the assault pack usually. Not very smart ones would leave them off altogether. Putting the camelback on separate to all the gear is smartest, and some folks even put it under the armor. You don't want to lose the water no matter what. Some folks wore the camelback and had another in the assault pack on in the ruck (which didn't get used except at Ft. Lewis in field exercises really, they eventually got tied off to the Stryker).

Most of the snipers did what I did. They carried the armor everywhere, but didn't always wear it, hence no gear on it. But they sure as hell wore the vest or LBE or whatever they preferred.

The pistols got carried in leg holsters a lot. They just didn't get used all that much if ever. Nobody wanted to draw them. Many had a few holsters. The Galco Miami Classic was very popular for going to the shitter at a base and with officers. When I had to wear one, I liked to put it right across my chest up high, but not so it interferred with mag changes, and I liked a good kydex holster. I forget what I had, probably a Blade Tech? They are close by, but then I had to modify it to fit. Now they make one that fits Molle and is VERY adaptable. Even will take a light. For mags, I wore four 20rd. R93 mags in an army boresight pouch. They fit perfectly. I liked to wear on my left leg one of those Tactical Tailor pouches with the rubber tops to dump mags in, those were the bees knees if you ask me. Good for shotshells too if you need 'em. Some of the Molle ones will now hold armor, magazines, and the big dump pouch all in one. You can get that for the right leg too and put a good kydex holster on it. I think Point Blank makes the Molle leg armor, but I could be mistaken.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that to each his own, and there is an infinite combination of stuff. Try and figure out what you THINK will work best for you and do it, then train with it and you'll learn from experience and others what works best for you. Kind of like conceal carry holsters I guess, you end up with a bunch of junk until you find the right one. I have a box of LBE's and holsters too. BTW, the old school LBE and WEB belt is not really a bad setup. I like it a hell of a lot better than those Harris vests they used to issue, now that was real junk.

To use holsters as an analogy again, I ended up going with Milt Sparks. I have three black VM2's for three different pistols. Likewise, I think Tactical Tailor makes some of the best gear around, or did anyway, been awhile since I donned it. You get what you pay for I guess, as always.

I tried to find pictures of us in gear, but couldn't really find any. Most of 'em were us just screwing off and pulling pranks on each other. We weren't really into the GI Joe poses it seems.

Sorry to be so longwinded, hope it helps.

I went with a Blackhawk vest. It has my IIIA Kevlar + in conjunction IV plates.

x6FWSl.jpg

I had all kinds of shit on it at one point, but after training with it I took everything off but the mag pouches. Everything else just got in the way. I also just stuck with 3 mags on the vest. It's heavy as is and double stacking the mags made it harder to get prone.

I went with a hip holster that sits a little lower so it doesn't hit the vest or get in the way. My regular IWB and OWB holsters sit up too high and end up hitting the vest or going under it. I just ordered it yesterday from blade-tech, hopefully it works well.

d_649.jpg

Shawn

Why does everyone always forget the covered mag pouches... The first thing you are going to do when you get shot at is make yourself as small and low to the ground as possible. With open mag ouches you will cram all kinds of dirt and crap right into your mags and pouches!!! Always make sure that your mags are covered and clean. It takes 2 extra seconds to open the Velcro, but it will give you peace of mind to know that when u pull that mag out it is going to work!

Other than that.. Nice Rig! I run basically the same thing!!

AjwCotton- That's what I'm gonna do. This is what I'm gonna throw over: http://www.skdtac.com/Eagle-Chest-Rig-Universal-SKD-p/eag.567.htm

I might just single stack the AR mags to make it slimmer. If I felt the need I could always double them up. Why do you say not to bring a cleaning kit? I'm shooting with a suppressor and that tends go get a ton of shit in the receiver. I wouldn't want to have to deal with it without supplies. It would probably be more modular as I would be able to use with standalone carrier too.

StrykerVet- Very informative post. Thanks for taking the time to write it. One of my best friends was stationed at Ft. Lewis and was in a stryker unit. I remember driving Tactical Tailor on the highway. I got a ton of 30rd mags(during the shortage) from a little Asian lady that owned a surplus shop.

Jerseymike- The vest would ride the hell out of the holster when it's on the hip. I've tried it. However, the option that SRV656s is exploring is interesting.

SRV656s- I'm digging the minimalist setup. I think I'm not gonna put too much shit on mine either. It's already very heavy with all the armor. I'd be interested how that bladetech works in conjunction with the vest.

A cleaning kit is not first line gear, it belongs in an assault pack, second I do not use an otis kit anyway, it looks convenient, but the supplies in it are good for about 1 good cleaning and it doesn't have a solid rod, if you are that worried about being in the shit and not having cleaning supplies it is a good chance that a stuck case is also likely, an otis kit will do nothing for that. I keep a small bottle of lube in one of my utility pouches and a rag, brush, and 3 piece rod in my pack.

Also I used to carry way too many mags, my first deployment I carried 13. I found that I never needed more than a couple at a time. There is always going to be a chance to swap out empties. This deployment the only things on my kit are:
3 mags, radio, frag, compass, 1 smoke, utility pouch for NOD's(also has small sturdy bottle of CLP, small VS-17 panel and various chemlights). I also have a flat admin pouch on the top middle of my front that has a protractor, spare AA and 123 batteries and my GRG's. Everything else is in a small mayflower pack/hydration carrier. http://www.mayflower-rc.org/store/7018/78/24-Hour-Assault-Pack.html In there I have my other 4 mags, camelback bladder, cliff bars, star cluster, extra radio battery, 550 cord, previously discussed cleaning kit and extra smoke. For longer missions the only thing that changes is that i put that bag into a prestaged 3 day pack with a poncho and additional food and water. I hope this helps, I have come to find out that in all reality less is more. I would look at a chest rig similar to this http://www.tacticalassaultgearstore.com/phalanxchestrigtype2molle.aspx or even one that is all molle and then get pouches you want and put them where you want. You will never have your kit perfect there are still times where I am fiddling with my kit trying to make if function better or fit a little better I have also wished that someone would make a certian pouch to fit whatever item only to see someone have that exact piece of gear then get that and back to the drawing board to find out what fits best where. All of this is just a start only you will be able to know what works best for you, and you will not find that out the first time you put a kit together.

These are both good chest rigs... I like the fact that if you have to it is a quick way to ditch the rig with out having to remove pouches from your armor... I am still one of those people that believe the only things you should carry in abundance are Bullets and Water!!!!

Oh, and the beautiful thing about my AR is that I converted to a Piston Drive so the cleaning kit is virtually unused... I clean about every 1K rounds just because I feel bad that I shot it that long with out cleaning...

Good Suggestions guys...