• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Monopod on an AT

Nik H

Constantly Learning
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jan 22, 2014
    Small town New England
    Anyone out there use the BT57-QK monopod on their AT? It looks pretty nice and although I usually use a rear bag; this looks like it may have some advantages.

Unfortunately, I got impatient and wanted a monopod before the BT57-QK came out... so I have Victor Company V2 rear skins and the BT08-QK. I really like the setup, but I'd have also liked to have the option (if only I'd waited long enough!) to save a few bucks by sticking with the factory skins and buying a less expensive monopod. D'oh!!

Do you find that you use it more than a rear bag? I would think the rear bag is more versatile but I sometimes forget to pack mine hence the idea of an integrated monopod

Do you find that you use it more than a rear bag? I would think the rear bag is more versatile but I sometimes forget to pack mine hence the idea of an integrated monopod

IMO, versatility is where the monopod is weakest. In my (admittedly limited) experience, the monopod shines brightest when shooting groups, but suffers when transitioning targets (I find myself spending more time fiddling with the monopod than it would take to simply squeeze or relax a rear bag). The good news is that it's possible to have the best of both worlds... mount up the monopod and use it when shooting groups, then fold it up and run a bag if you end up doing more dynamic shooting where you frequently transition targets.