• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Monthly Sporting Rifle match RATON NM

Re: Monthly Sporting Rifle match RATON NM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RayDog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Chuck is back.....and he's ANGRY! </div></div>

Yeah? Hard to be angry about that good a score!

-David

Inside joke . Lets hope the trend holds its been a rough last 2 or 3 years . Plus it will mater more in November .

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shane C.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice shoot'n Chuck, now quit hate'n on my hair!</div></div>

As long as your gonna sport the prince valiant look I gotta its just not right .

CWARD:
Good on you!
Fun time with a lot of really good people. Already looking forward to Feb.
Many thanks to Mike K.,Michael F.,and Chuck W. for all the work and effort in putting on a great event.

Looking forward to it - hopefully this Feb has less snow & better weather than last Feb...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tommy Two Dogs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sun, Rain,Snow, or whatever I'll be there.</div></div>

Count me in too!

Just a heads up. Mike has been working on a "<span style="font-weight: bold">Magnum Rifle Match</span>" for 2012 in Raton. Right now there are 3 dates. All the rules are not finalized yet, but here's what I know so far: it's for .338 caliber rifles only; max muzzle velocity 3200 fps; copper-jacketed/lead-core match/hunting bullets only. Targets will be steel. Each match will be between 24 and 48 rounds fired in a number of strings/relays. Match procedure will probably vary from match to match. Max target distance will be somewhere between 1400 and 2200 yards.

I've put the dates he gave me along side the SRM dates http://sportingriflematch.com/schedule.php

Also, it is likely that Competition Dynamics will run some sort of extreme long range match at our new secret shooting area in Douglas WY in the second half of 2012, after people have had a chance to shoot a couple of Mike's magnum rifle matches as warm up. This would be more field style and we'd probably allow calibers larger than .338. Details probably in early Q2'12

-z

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Zak Smith</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.338 caliber rifles only; max muzzle velocity 3200 fps; copper-jacketed/lead-core match/hunting bullets only. </div></div>

Very cool. I bought a Savage 110BA in 338 Lapua specifically so I can play too.
--

I shot the 2/10 & 2/11 matches.

Saw Dino make an AWESOME shot, smacking a white target at around 500yds that was almost completely obscured by wind driven snow coming off the trees.
--

Anyone want to lay odds on if this beautiful southern Colorado-Northern New Mexico weather we've been having will hold? I'm guessing 10 below zero and 30mph winds.

Honestly, I'l be disappointed if its not cold and snowing. Last February made for lots of great stories.

This girl shot more Raton matches than you did last year....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hoser</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If it was easy girls could do it. </div></div>

That's what you keep telling me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jaydoc1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone want to lay odds on if this beautiful southern Colorado-Northern New Mexico weather we've been having will hold? I'm guessing 10 below zero and 30mph winds. </div></div>

Actually February wasn't too bad. March is when it snowed the night before. Either way I can't wait. It's been a long 4 months. Good thing Hoser has PD's to shoot at (you too RJ and miss RJ).

See you all in a couple of weeks.

Dino

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Actually February wasn't too bad.
Dino
</div></div>

You're right, the February 2011 match never got above 25F and started snowing horizontally about 11 am; it could have been much worse.
grin.gif

Looking forward to shooting this match for the first time. Looks like fun!

Also, it's a welcome development(to me)that the "Equipment" Rules 2.7 or 2.8 have been deleted - the ones referring to, I believe, to "No 'military style' camo permitted"

This rule had actually kept me away from the match in the past, thinking that whoever came up with the rule was being too PC. Anyway, maybe somebody will weigh in on the "back story" here....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mrsquickdraw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This girl shot more Raton matches than you did last year.... </div></div>

Good point. For a girl.

If it is 65 and sunshine it wouldn't bother me a bit. Whatever it is, it will be great!

The reasoning for the camo rule has been discussed in this thread already . Not shooting because you can't where your camo clothes sounds like an easy excuse to me , there is a high percentages of active and veteran military shooters that shoot and nary a one of them has said a word .

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This rule had actually kept me away from the match in the past, thinking that whoever came up with the rule was being too PC. </div></div>
When the match was established (2004) the NRAWC management did not like the tactical look. The camo rule, the AR-15 rule (both now gone), and the match's name all were results of that policy. Mike made those concessions for the sole reason that we could have the match at all.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Zak Smith</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This rule had actually kept me away from the match in the past, thinking that whoever came up with the rule was being too PC. </div></div>
When the match was established (2004) the NRAWC management did not like the tactical look. The camo rule, the AR-15 rule (both now gone), and the match's name all were results of that policy. Mike made those concessions for the sole reason that we could have the match at all. </div></div>

Thanks Zak. I had missed the posts on this thread around 7/10 that went over this issue.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: C Ward</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The reasoning for the camo rule has been discussed in this thread already . Not shooting because you can't where your camo clothes sounds like an easy excuse to me , there is a high percentages of active and veteran military shooters that shoot and nary a one of them has said a word . </div></div>

Wasn't really using the camo as an excuse not to come - the real reason was simple fear of getting my ass kicked
wink.gif
Anyway, I'll be there on 2/5 and give it my best.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rmfield</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think the match would be fun even if I had to wear a pink dress. </div></div>

I'll spot you your entry fee if you do. LOL

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Starbuck</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wasn't really using the camo as an excuse not to come - the real reason was simple fear of getting my ass kicked
wink.gif
Anyway, I'll be there on 2/5 and give it my best.</div></div>

Don't worry about that the new shooters are always squadded with one of the veterans to show them the ropes .

We have everyone from full time moms to SF snipers shoot and we all started somewhere and will answer questions to make the learning curve a little less steep .

If You have a good zero and data that tracks You'll do fine .

The only sure thing is it will be cold in the canyon in the morning . Rain or shine we shoot . If the match hasn't been called by Fri evening the match will happen .

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: C Ward</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Starbuck</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wasn't really using the camo as an excuse not to come - the real reason was simple fear of getting my ass kicked
wink.gif
Anyway, I'll be there on 2/5 and give it my best.</div></div>

Don't worry about that the new shooters are always squadded with one of the veterans to show them the ropes .

We have everyone from full time moms to SF snipers shoot and we all started somewhere and will answer questions to make the learning curve a little less steep .

If You have a good zero and data that tracks You'll do fine .

The only sure thing is it will be cold in the canyon in the morning . Rain or shine we shoot . If the match hasn't been called by Fri evening the match will happen . </div></div>

Thanks for the encouragement. It'll be my first "tactical" comp, and I look forward to learning. At least if I screw up I can now be wearing Multicam so nobody can see me!
laugh.gif

Who's the nice fella that hacked Chuck's account and is posting from it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mendocino</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Who's the nice fella that hacked Chuck's account and is posting from it? </div></div>

+1, too funny, I was thinking the same thing!!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mendocino</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Actually February wasn't too bad.
Dino
</div></div>

You're right, the February 2011 match never got above 25F and started snowing horizontally about 11 am; it could have been much worse.
grin.gif
</div></div>

Yea it was cold, but the snow gave a good indication of the wind. Especially shooting at the 875 yd target on stage 1.
See everyone in 2 weeks. Don't forget the cold weather gear!

Dino

It is getting close and my hands are starting to sweat. I'm guessing it will be a full house.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tommy Two Dogs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It is getting close and my hands are starting to sweat. I'm guessing it will be a full house. </div></div>

With sweaty hands, I'm glad your wife is cooking dinner for us and not you!

It will just be nice having a home cooked meal. Thank you!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bownwoods</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It will just be nice having a home cooked meal. Thank you! </div></div>

And we can enjoy Bownwood's stories which always start with "This one time me and the ol' lady were hammered and..." ;-D

I got a good one for you this month. Lmao

I don't want to be a killjoy guys, I'm just wondering if there are any matches like this in the area that are on Friday-Saturday?

I would love to shoot this one, but Sunday is a family/religious day for me and I don't shoot that day. There may be others as well that would come shoot it if it were on a Saturday.

I know there are other shooting events and some guys want to do double duty in Pueblo, then do this one.

Anyways, I had a great time at my first PDog shoot at CRC this weekend, it was a very friendly group of guys and I was drooling over all the top-end gear there, especially the TBAC cans and AI rifles.

Would love to shoot a more tactical style match in the area!