• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

More accurate at 400m than 100m??

Granite91C

Private
Minuteman
Jul 23, 2022
Melbourne, Australia
Hi all,

I'm hoping someone on here may be able to shed some light on a new phenomenon im currently experiencing. I have a Tikka Viel Wideland in .300 winmag in an MDT LSS chassis that I'm currently getting to know, trying different factory ammo to find what it likes, so far to no avail. The most recent box I tested were Hornadys famed ELD X rounds (200gr) which I've read and been told are the ducks nuts. At 100m I was less than impressed, with wide open groups from prone, chasing around the paper with very little consistency, super disappointing. I thought I would then give them a go at further out, just out of curiosity as I had them, and at 350m and then 400m I hit a small steel plate measuring 6 inches by 3 inches with my first 2 rounds at each distance, with the 2 rounds 1 inch apart. Subsequently I shot 5 or 6 more rounds at similar distances with similar excellent accuracy. So now from a position of not thinking the ELDs were for me I'm confused AF.

Has anyone else ever experienced this kind of thing?

There are things that could explain it that have nothing to do with the ammunition. It would be hard to get anything that has a lower MOA at 400 than at 100.

First guess would be a parallax difference in the scope. What is your rig and do if applicable parallax adjustment technique?

Second is you did something different, but were not aware. The psychology of shooting at 400 could be slowing you down and improving technique. Many shooters will shoot the same rifle better when single feeding rather than running magazine.

Finally, every group has a bit of randomness to it. Shooting that few rounds is hardly conclusive of anything.

As the last post said its not the ammo. Once its on its path it doesnt come back togethet down range. Shooting groups at 100 requires your parallax to be set perfect it would have less to no effect at 400.