More Anschutz MPR results

long-shot

Sergeant
PX Member
Minuteman
Jun 6, 2003
Missouri
Picked up a Leupold 4.5-14x40 LRT (w/mildot) and mounted it using a B-Square rail adapter, and Leupold PRW low 30mm rings. All shots were fired using Wolf Match Target. Zeroing started at 40 yards and I can say I was pretty happy. 4 5 shot groups averaged .169".

I then moved back to 100 yards. The vertical spread was killing me but 4 5 shot groups averaged 1.506"

I think I've found my trainer!

Lineman711

Sergeant
PX Member
Minuteman
Apr 5, 2009
TN
Re: More Anschutz MPR results

Nice shooting. I've been searching for a nice used Anschutz for a while. Seems to be the way to go.

I'll have to search and see if I can find some pics of your rifle.

Hellbender

Gunny Sergeant
PX Member
Minuteman
Apr 23, 2008
Lebanon, Missouri

long shot

If you'd use the Match Extra you could shave another .001 off that 50 yard group average
!

I don't see how a gun can be more accurate, they are scary.

Just don't shoot that well at next weeks match!

Brad

long-shot

Sergeant
PX Member
Minuteman
Jun 6, 2003
Missouri

I hope I can find some ammo with better vertical spread, but even if it hangs in there at 1.5 MOA @ 100 yards I can live with it. I can live with the closer groups.

buffybuster

Gunny Sergeant
PX Member
Minuteman
Jul 26, 2007
Ventura Cty, CA

Vertical stringing at 100yds and beyond is primarily due to the velocity spread of the ammo.

BTW Nice Shooting

sobrbiker883

Lt. Colonel
PX Member
Minuteman
Sep 18, 2003
Gilbert AZ

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: long-shot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I hope I can find some ammo with better vertical spread, but even if it hangs in there at 1.5 MOA @ 100 yards I can live with it. I can live with the closer groups. </div></div>

Vertical stringing in a centerfire may indicate velocity issues, but those groups with a 22lr at 100yds are most likely operator. RF flyers at 100 are more random (at least that's what I've found with Wolf MT). Unless those were shot with a mechanical return to battery rest, I'd say that Wolf MT shoots crazy well in your rifle and go from there!

long-shot

Sergeant
PX Member
Minuteman
Jun 6, 2003
Missouri

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Vertical stringing in a centerfire may indicate velocity issues, but those groups with a 22lr at 100yds are most likely operator.</div></div>

So you see more operator error than equipment in the groups @100 yards? That is encouraging and depressing all at the same time! I'll try again with a better rest, and followthrough. Thanks.

jeff

sobrbiker883

Lt. Colonel
PX Member
Minuteman
Sep 18, 2003
Gilbert AZ

Rimfire is unforgiving on the shooter. That little pill spends a long time in the barrel (2.5X as long as say a 308 running 2500-2600fps given the same barrel length). Followthrough is huge, and if shooting from rests most allow rimfires to "free-recoil" once they've gotten them squished into the bags nicely.
From a bipod and sand sock if I forget to relax everything once I've got a good NPA I will push shots up or down by relaxing or tensing when the shot breaks.

I can't shoot groups for crap, I tense up if they're good and get too lax if they aren't. Shooting 10 shots at 1/2 or 3/4" dots at 100 are what I like to do.

Then again, who knows-you may be doing it perfect and that is just vertical stringing from load variances. Rimfires can get maddening if you over analyze them. I think your groups show you and the rifle are good to go. I'd only chase variables if I were going to shoot USBR stuff to get the 50yd groups to one hole. For a precision trainer, I'd have at it with what you got!