• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

More Anschutz MPR results

long-shot

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 6, 2003
Missouri
Picked up a Leupold 4.5-14x40 LRT (w/mildot) and mounted it using a B-Square rail adapter, and Leupold PRW low 30mm rings. All shots were fired using Wolf Match Target. Zeroing started at 40 yards and I can say I was pretty happy. 4 5 shot groups averaged .169".

DSCN0308.jpg

I then moved back to 100 yards. The vertical spread was killing me but 4 5 shot groups averaged 1.506"

DSCN0311.jpg

I think I've found my trainer!

Re: More Anschutz MPR results

Nice shooting. I've been searching for a nice used Anschutz for a while. Seems to be the way to go.

I'll have to search and see if I can find some pics of your rifle.

long shot

If you'd use the Match Extra you could shave another .001 off that 50 yard group average
smile.gif
!

I don't see how a gun can be more accurate, they are scary.

Just don't shoot that well at next weeks match!

Brad

I hope I can find some ammo with better vertical spread, but even if it hangs in there at 1.5 MOA @ 100 yards I can live with it. I can live with the closer groups.

I got the same exact vertical drop with Wolf MT...what can cause that ? the ammo in itself ?

Vertical stringing at 100yds and beyond is primarily due to the velocity spread of the ammo.

BTW Nice Shooting

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: long-shot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I hope I can find some ammo with better vertical spread, but even if it hangs in there at 1.5 MOA @ 100 yards I can live with it. I can live with the closer groups. </div></div>

Vertical stringing in a centerfire may indicate velocity issues, but those groups with a 22lr at 100yds are most likely operator. RF flyers at 100 are more random (at least that's what I've found with Wolf MT). Unless those were shot with a mechanical return to battery rest, I'd say that Wolf MT shoots crazy well in your rifle and go from there!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Vertical stringing in a centerfire may indicate velocity issues, but those groups with a 22lr at 100yds are most likely operator.</div></div>

So you see more operator error than equipment in the groups @100 yards? That is encouraging and depressing all at the same time! I'll try again with a better rest, and followthrough. Thanks.

jeff

Rimfire is unforgiving on the shooter. That little pill spends a long time in the barrel (2.5X as long as say a 308 running 2500-2600fps given the same barrel length). Followthrough is huge, and if shooting from rests most allow rimfires to "free-recoil" once they've gotten them squished into the bags nicely.
From a bipod and sand sock if I forget to relax everything once I've got a good NPA I will push shots up or down by relaxing or tensing when the shot breaks.

I can't shoot groups for crap, I tense up if they're good and get too lax if they aren't. Shooting 10 shots at 1/2 or 3/4" dots at 100 are what I like to do.

Then again, who knows-you may be doing it perfect and that is just vertical stringing from load variances. Rimfires can get maddening if you over analyze them. I think your groups show you and the rifle are good to go. I'd only chase variables if I were going to shoot USBR stuff to get the 50yd groups to one hole. For a precision trainer, I'd have at it with what you got!