• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

mossberg MVP

mosin46

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 11, 2010
florida 32621
any input from owners,past owners? 223 18" fluted bbl. 9" twist. have a chance to get one at a good trade,so wondering. if it was 300 BO,likely chance it,but those are pretty uncommon. so,just looking for feedback on this particular gun. not really looking to hear about what i should buy.

I have the .223 bench rest 24" Mossberg and I love it. Trigger is good and the AR mags feed well into the action.

I wouldnt expect any good smith to wana touch it. Dont expect any good aftermarket stuff like stocks or bottom metal. A plus, There cheap enough you can shoot the barrel out, throw the gun away and buy a new one

I wouldnt expect any good smith to wana touch it. Dont expect any good aftermarket stuff like stocks or bottom metal. A plus, There cheap enough you can shoot the barrel out, throw the gun away and buy a new one

MDT already makes a chassis for it, Boyd's makes stocks for it, and I'm sure if you wanted to pay for it Manners or McMillan would make one for it. Parts are slowly starting to come out for it and there are smiths that have worked on them already. I like mine although I haven't shot it yet. My buddy had one and it kept MOA.

Still not sure why the Mossberg over a Savage or Remington in .223? Is it the AR mags feature?

thanks all. as said,i can get one in a good deal trade-no $ out of pocket. that matters. AR mag use a plus.

I have the thunder ranch model and like it quiet a bit . it has an 18 inch fluted barrel and threaded for a muzzle device . sometimes a guy dont need a 1 inch diameter, long as a telephone pole barrel to drag around in the woods . I have shot 5 shot groups that measure 1 inch to 1.25 inch at 100 yds with hornady 53 grain and suprisingly the barnes 62 grain tsx I believe that is the alphabet code on the barnes . the rifle is pretty light and makes a good walking around gun . its not going to be an 800 yd rifle and I see no need to spend a ton of money changing a bunch of stuff . slap a good light weight scope on it and go for a wlak about looking for varmints that where it shines the best.

I have this rifle (MVP Predator 20"/1:9" fluted medium bull barrel, laminated stock), which I grabbed up as soon as it arrived at my LGS. For some time, I was also watching for the Varmint version, but since I recently acquired a Savage 11VT .223, I'm no longer looking. The VT does everything I'd want a 223 Varmint/Target rifle to do very nicely.

Like a lot of others, the MVP predator I have was largely desirable for the AR magazine feature. While it isn't anything like a precision rifle, it does not disappoint. It shoots palm-of-hand sized groups at 250yd (on bipod/bench) with my standard 69gr AR handload (24.0gr Varget). It also shoots my 75gr AR loads, but not as accurately. I'm beginning to think it could pay to redevelop that load so I'd have something that perfects my 11VT, shoots well in the Stag Model 6, and improves on the 75gr performance for the MVP Predator. Meanwhile, the newer Winchester 64gr Power Maxx bonded "deer" load needs testing in this rifle, as well as 62gr handloads using the Win 62gr Power Point. Then there's also the 62gr NATO M855. My MVP is listed with a 1:9" rifling twist.

My MVP mounts a Tasco 6-24x42MilDot Varmint/Target scope which has been proving itself both reliable and affordable on my rifles for many years now. I add a Limbsaver slip-on pad to increase LOP, and a UTG short bipod.

While our CNY deer may be a tad overlarge for the Power Maxx; by the same token, I figure anything that's suitable for deer is probably effective on bad guys, too.

As truck guns go, this one stands out.

Greg

Last edited:
I go round and round about this gun. I like the ar mags, and I like the laminate stocks in decent profiles from the factory. I keep a lazy out for one to crop up semi reasonable, I am certain my girlfriend would love it.

I think more in military terms about it; mainly I see it as an easy implement for someone to use to cover my back while I'm doing more precise things.

I have one and it is decently accurate for a factory gun at 1.25-1.5MOA, but the nice thing is that all my loads hit extremely close to the same POI. I really think that is a fluke though. It just lives in the Kabota in case something decides it needs to be shot while I am putting around the fields.

My friend has one and I worked up a quick loading for him with w748 and 55 soft points. It is very consistently under an inch at 100.

Good rifle for the price.

I have the 24". It's a scooter gun. Fun to ride, but don't let your friends know you have one. Mine has turned out to be a good value.

Parts are pretty much unavailable unless the gun is sent back to Mossberg. EGW makes a scope rail, aftermarket triggers are available, and Boyd's sells stocks. I'm happy with the stock trigger on mine.
The laminated stock is pillar bedded and the plastic block that contains the magazine release components doubles as a bedding block with a couple rails down the side. It's a pretty clever system. I glass bedded the recoil lug and added an aluminum bushing to the plastic trigger guard so the action screws could be torqued. The 1:9 twist stabilizes just about anything that fits in an AR magazine. I'm running the 77 smk. The throat depth would make a Remington proud, it's 2.400" to the lands with that smk.

This is the 100 yard load workup. The barrel on mine takes a lot of cleaning and has a window of about 25 shots for groups like this.

Attachments

• IMG_0264.JPG
    IMG_0264.JPG
    251.4 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0267.JPG
    IMG_0267.JPG
    269.3 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0268.JPG
    IMG_0268.JPG
    276.4 KB · Views: 25
They're dearer than Howa's/Vanguards here in Australia, and for that reason i wouldn't consider one.

I have the MVP Patrol. It's been a very handy and reliable JD Gator gun. Stays on the Gator all of the time, and has killed a slew of coyotes and groundhogs. The bolt was a little rough in the beginning, but has smoothed out over time. No issues with cycling or reliability. It's tough, and I don't worry about the weather or it getting banged up.