• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Most collectable sniper rifle

millsd

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 29, 2010
Austin, TX
I'm itching to buy something and after seeing a 303 brit enfield sitting next to an antique sharps at the gun store I started thinking of perhaps getting something historic...yet shootable. Any thoughts?

Re: Most collectable sniper rifle

The original No.4 Mk I snipers were regarded as very accurate rifles- also considered by some to be the best issue sniper fielded in WWII.

a WA2000 if you can afford it

hi

I think a russian Mosin-Nagant M91/30 is a good sniper rifle from that era.

It shoots 7,62x64mm rounds, all depends what you are looking for

regards
brent

That's 7.62x54R but yeah the Nagants can be pretty nices rifles, not to mention how cheap surplus ammo is for them. Only thing is that it's pretty unlikely you will find any commercial match loads in that caliber, or at least i haven't in Canada anyway.

i still see alot of the 7n1 190grn sniper load for sale. surplus , but still shoots nice.

yeah..wa2000 looks REALLY nice. but alas, I don't have 30-40,000 to spend on a rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fast freddy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i still see alot of the 7n1 190grn sniper load for sale. surplus , but still shoots nice. </div></div>

The 7N1 is 152.8 grains and some of the best match ammo you can find for that caliber is the Russian EXTRA ammo. It was imported awhile back by Wolf as EXTRA Match (or something like that) and it has a 200 gr. bullet. It has also come in marked in the German EXTRA boxes that the Russians made for East Germany.

Remington M40
Remington M1941 with original USMC Unertl 8x
M1C with original M81 scope.

An M1903 Springfield perhaps? Maybe from that Mil tech arms site mentioned earlier.

For U.S.-- I'd have to go with the M1C/M81 or a really nice early WWII 1903A4/M73B1.

For my collection, I'm going with a complete Army line-up. I'd trade just about any rifle in my collection for a nice M1C.

If you want to go the economical/shooter route, then get a correct M1D/M84. I have one that I bedded and modified like a NM gun and it shoots 1.5MOA. (The scope has a 2 MOA reticle, so its still a huge challenge to shoot well.)

Most collectable? Most shootable? or Best?

Colletctable: M1C/M1D w M81/M82 scope (that you can still shoot)

Most shootable: Mosin 91/30 w POSP or PK scope

Best: The sky is the limit on that one. There are some really, really good ones out there. What caliber? what price? If affordable is what you want in today's sniper rifle then I would look at a good heavy barrel RRA or Colt HBAR and put a good current mil-spec optic in use on it.
If money isn't an object, probably Accuracy International.

sandwarrior...I'm looking for collectable, historic, and shootable. Under $2k would be nice, which rules out most of the fancy modern day rifles. And the M1C looks REALLY appealing. That said, the only one I saw was listed for $10k on an auction site and hadn't met the reserve...unfortunately that puts it out of the running as well. Really like the M1 varietals though.

Go for an unpapered (non-DCM/CMP) M1D with an M84 scope and a cheekpad. Don't worry about the flash hider and other junk because you won't want to shoot with them anyway. Get it bedded and do a trigger job--best of all worlds. The nicer ones are running for about $2400. CMP is selling M1Ds for $1500, but the scope, mount, and cheekpad are going to put you back at $2400 for a total outlay if purchased separately.

If you shoot it with the Hornady Garand load, you will have accurate and historic. Also, you will see many disparage non-papered M1Ds. Many of the papered M1Ds are just late arsenal put-togethers without any history behind them. So, you have to ask yourself how valuable that piece of paper will be for your shooter. In contrast, most of the M1Cs and M1903A4s likely saw service as snipers, so it would be a small travesty to beat them up.

I shoot my 03A4, but I don't shoot it much. My goal is to have less than a TE of 4 before my son gets it in my will. (Or, find a replacement barrel...) Good middle ground may also be to get a 1903A3 that has been drilled/tapped into a 1903A4 configuration--that should cost you about $1500 to do right.

The Mauser SR-93, better than the WA2000 and less rifles build (about 100 SR-93 exist)..and Hippo939 got one...I HATE YOU!
laugh.gif

PSG-1 is a great investment, too. If it is not restricted for LE/mil use only, like in Teutonia.

I nearly bought a M1A with original 3-9x ART II scope, a M21 clone.

Historic and collectible?? I would think the Sharps New Model of 1859. That was the official rifle of the Berdan Sharp Shooters in the Civil War. And it probably accounted for more deaths than any other "Sniper Rifle" in American history. So I would think that rifle would be top dog. They were truly the upgraded military "Sniper Rifle" of the time.

But then a TrapDoor SpringField Rifle would also be a top competitor. The 1853 Enfield was no slouch. And the 1861 SpringField also deserves at least honorable mention, if not top billing. Tom.

The ULTIMATE collectible sniper rifle?

Easy...

Carlos Hathcock's original Winchester Model 70 from Vietnam.

(Anyone know what happened to it? Probably in a museum somewhere, I'd think)

I'd say a full rebuild of a M40A1 or a Original M1G.

shootable and collectable. One I would think might run under $2k is a German WWII sniper rifle with the standard Zeiss 4X scope. Not the one (Zelvier) that was a scout style scope where you replaced the rear sights. I'd say with the round they used in WWII that would be an excellent long range rifle. Range would only be limited by the glass.

That or an Argentino 1909 Sniper rifle. I've seen those running under $2k when you see them. The original 174 gr. round is pretty high BC if you ever get to see one. Something like .520 if I remember right.

1903 Marine Sniper with the Correct Unertel scope if a military sniper or a Swiss K31/ZFK aka K31/55.

Last edited:

This post was a bad idea for me. Instead of getting an idea for one good collectible & historic rifle...I now have 3-4 rifles running through my head that I want to buy. At the top of the list are the Sharps and M1D (CMP papered).

Finnish Sako Model 28 honorarily awarded to Simo Hayha.

Yeah, I gotta second the Sharps. Not only a very unique rifle, but absolutely a fascinating piece of history. And a hoot to shoot!

Couldn't help it when you said Sharps...course this is the '74 model:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RollingThunder51</div><div class="ubbcode-body">..

Was there a bucket involved?

rangerscopy.jpg

..</div></div>

Shamelessly stolen from the 'new sniper record' thread.

I am surprised no one mentioned the Enfield L39A1 or L42A1. That is my choice.

I have a Enfield No4(T), it's a 1 moa at best. The old No32 scopes can be cloudy with age but there are a few fellows around that have the expertise to rebuild them. The lens need to be cleaned and re-glued with modern adhesives.

I have a Swiss Zfk 7.5X55, it well shoot under 1 moa with GP11 and the glass is very nice but limited to 3.5X. It is a very pleasant rifle to shoot.

I'm looking for a Swiss K-31-43, it should be close to the Zfk with more felt recoil.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: madcratebuilder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a Enfield No4(T), it's a 1 moa at best. The old No32 scopes can be cloudy with age but there are a few fellows around that have the expertise to rebuild them. The lens need to be cleaned and re-glued with modern adhesives.

I have a Swiss Zfk 7.5X55, it well shoot under 1 moa with GP11 and the glass is very nice but limited to 3.5X. It is a very pleasant rifle to shoot.

I'm looking for a Swiss K-31-43, it should be close to the Zfk with more felt recoil.</div></div>

I'll agree with the Enfields not always shooting so great. But, then again the 1903's weren't super accurate either. The Mauser 98's used for sniping were far more accurate than the Germans ever employed them too... I say that as 'mostly', as there is a case of a 1500m* shot on an American by a German in WWII during the 'Hedgerow' phase of the allied invasion of Europe. Also several 1000m shots. But in general German implementation of sniping was usually within 800m* during WWII and 400m* during WWI. I don't get that personally.

*-random numbers I've read about. I've never seen the actual training/implementation documentation.

Anyhow, whether super accurate or not a L39A1/L42A1 would be a good choice.

You can get an orgininal 91/30 with pu scope for around 900 dollars. They are cheap to shoot and a lot of fun I can hit sticks with mine all day at 100yds. I also have a sharps in 45/70 a lot of fun too shoot but you will want to get into black powder reloading if you really want the right load for the gun. Sharps can be had for around 1000 dollars stay away from the spanish imported ones the pedersoli replicas have great barrels and are second only to the shiloh sharps, but half the cost. The sharps always gets attention at the range especially when using black powder. It is also a lot fo fun to shoot a 405 grn lead bullet into a soft dirt backstop it makes a thud.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sandwarrior</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Couldn't help it when you said Sharps...course this is the '74 model:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RollingThunder51</div><div class="ubbcode-body">..

Was there a bucket involved?

rangerscopy.jpg

..</div></div>

Shamelessly stolen from the 'new sniper record' thread. </div></div>

I love it he is even carrying the business model with the shotgun butt stock

Sharps business rifle in 45/70
DSCN0433.jpg

45/70 compared to a 308
DSCN0436.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jthoss0837</div><div class="ubbcode-body">PTRS-41
ptrs41-2.jpg

14.5 russian i think? </div></div>

Later's personal stash?

45/70 Sharps...very nice...

I really need to get one of those. Don't think I'd buy a repro though as I like the history as much as the beauty of the rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jthoss0837</div><div class="ubbcode-body">PTRS-41
ptrs41-2.jpg

14.5 russian i think?</div></div>

That thing rocks in Call of Duty: World at War