• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Most valuable trades?

HSNARC

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 23, 2010
Central Illinois
Been doing “white collar” type work since graduating college about 12 years ago. First law enforcement investigations then background checks for security clearances then low level project mgmt for an ag Corp. recently unemployed due to Rona fears, applying for more white collar jobs I know I’ll just be bored as hell at.
Started thinking what it would take to get into a job where I actually make or do something. I’m a reasonably mechanically inclined person and understand machines and processes fairly well. I’m thinking about welding as I’ve always been interested in it and have been successful the few times I tried it post high school shop class.
Im open to other ideas though. Is it unrealistic to think retraining in a trade could lead to a solid stable career earning professional (75,000 ish) money?what would you guys do?

Welding, metal fabrication, machining, and assembly.

Not only are those super hot trades already now in contemporary times, but the future will see even more demand for skilled workers in these fields. The Space Age has only just begun, and within the next 10-20 years, we could very well be seeing the construction of large space stations and megastructures in high Earth orbit where manned ships and complex unmanned vessels bound for Mars, Europa, Titan, etc will be assembled up there before making their journeys. It will be a fascinating future for anyone skilled in metalcraft. If you have children who are mechanically inclined, it is time to get them started in these fields too.

Definitely welding of some sort. I got in to automation about 15 yrs ago (robots and stuff). While my current position doesn't pay like the above mentioned,
There are opportunities out there that are 100K plus. Right now, if you deduct screen time here, lunch, coffee, and BS time, I put in a solid 3 hours a day.

I would certainly plan on getting certified. What certifications bring tge best opportunities? Any to stay away from?

Hobart is best school. They certify you on graduation , if you pass. 6gR is the top cert. Go for it!!!! After awhile take the CWI test. Red carpet anywhere in th world.

Been doing “white collar” type work since graduating college about 12 years ago. First law enforcement investigations then background checks for security clearances then low level project mgmt for an ag Corp. recently unemployed due to Rona fears, applying for more white collar jobs I know I’ll just be bored as hell at.
Started thinking what it would take to get into a job where I actually make or do something. I’m a reasonably mechanically inclined person and understand machines and processes fairly well. I’m thinking about welding as I’ve always been interested in it and have been successful the few times I tried it post high school shop class.
Im open to other ideas though. Is it unrealistic to think retraining in a trade could lead to a solid stable career earning professional (75,000 ish) money?what would you guys do?
The Skilled trades are an excellent way for one to make a decent living.

As for getting into welding and making a good living that is going to depend on a few variables- First- Do you have the skill set that commands top dollar. Second- Are you willing to work 6-7 days a week for ten plus hours a day. 3. Are you ready to be away from the homestead? If one thinks just by attending x, y, z, school, or program, they are going to become this elite welder; you are naive. If you think having your CWI (Certifed Welding Inspection) license that the "red carpet" is rolled out, you are being led down the wrong path. Does it open up doors, yes, but guarantee a job or high paying, nope.

If you are serious about pursuing the Welding trade, PM me, I will give you the straight-up no bs answers. Before anyone asks, I am a CWE/CWI, and many suggest that my program is one of the best, not only in the state I reside in but in the country. No, I do not work for Hobart ( They are far from the best.).

I will leave you with this- I made a ton of money welding as well as many of my former students ( I have 5 former students right now that just got down with a shut down at local nuclear power plant. They were averaging 4-5k a week for the last 8 weeks), but I made more money, in the long run, doing Plumbing and HVAC. As I tell my students, do not become one-trick (Welding) pony, learn as many skills as you can.

Regards,

The Professor

I own an industrial machinery company. We are a little different but below trades I pay very well for. If you good in 2 categories you can bank cash.

Electro mechanic
Programmer / mechanic / electrician
Fabricator/ mechanic

Reactions: oneshot86
I own an industrial machinery company. We are a little different but below trades I pay very well for. If you good in 2 categories you can bank cash.

Electro mechanic
Programmer / mechanic / electrician
Fabricator/ mechanic
Are there specific certs or training you would suggest pursuing?

I threw my business degree away a few years ago and went back to HVAC, AZ counts my active duty time towards my HVAC contractors license because it was part of my job.

Elevator maintenance. Yuuuge $ in service work.
And you learn a lot of different trades in order to do it.

Reactions: Blair B
Think about what everyone needs. I think if I were starting over, I'd look real hard at hvac. Most folks have them and eventually they're going to go down. There's less customer interaction in commercial units, but you have to be on call. We're require the hvac guy to be on site in 2 hours, no matter the time of day/ night, or the weather conditions. Folks will bitch about the price, but they'll pay to be comfortable. We pay to keep our equipment cool enough to operate.

I was in the military for 20 years, went to college and then to work in environmental, safety and occupational health and facilities management.

Top 5 jobs that pay $70-150,000

Facility Management (plumbing, HVAC, elevators everyone else already hit on this)

Safety and Occupational Health Management (especially industrial health)

Environmental Science (but not wildlife biologist, zoologist and so on) the people that do environmental impact statements and deal with hazardous materials.

Health Physicist (kind of like a Safety person but in the Nuclear world), huge promotion potential if working for the government.

Construction Engineering (probably the top paying field I have listed).

All the above if you want to work for someone else with set hours and a steady paycheck. If you have the desire to hang out your own shingle and are hungry I suggest Electrical Contractor, always thought that for minimal equipment up front and low operating cost and guy can really make bank in the appliance repair, as in go to the gals house and fix the dryer/ oven/fridge.

Reactions: wh20crazy
I have been in the HVAC industry since 1984 when I went through the local Vo-Tech program for free in high school. Got into the local plumbers and pipefitters union in 1989 as most of the commercial contractors were union. One of my sons is a 2nd year apprentice in the same local union and he is making $20/hr plus $15/hr in retirement and insurance benifits. Pretty good for a 20 yr old with a high school diploma. He will be making $35+/hr plus benifits when he turns out as a journeyman. This COVID deal has been the only time I have ever applied for un-employment, and I am 52 yrs old. I am an estimator/sales/project manager now, but I was making $10/hr above the journeyman scale when I was in the field. Even when the economy is down, people and companies will repair HVAC equipment.

My son and I cleared $3k last Saturday replacing a residential HVAC system in less than 8 hrs. The side work pays for my guns and accessories.

Refrigeration. You'll need a big truck to haul your money in!

Reactions: oneshot86
I hated refrigeration. Good money but I hated it. When a store has a cooler or freezer go down. They will pay whatever but they want you there now. Whatever time of the day or night. I will do an occasional service call to help a friend when he's covered up. I went into business for myself in the mid 90's doing HVAC. I am semi retired at 55 and just take care of some long time customers. They don't ask, how much? They know I am going to do what's best for them and they pay the bill.
I stuck to the residential and light commercial end of the business.
The industrial/ commercial aspect pays pretty well for a quality service tech. A friend's boy just started out for a big company doing the commercial/industrial. With just a trade school degree they started him at $15/hr. It's going to be a while before he will see $75K a year if ever. But in this area it's not union and the cost of living is low.
I doubt you'll find anything to get that kind of pay where the cost of living is relatively inexpensive.
$75K /year is about $38/hr.
Refrigeration. You'll need a big truck to haul your money in!

i knew a guy that did underwater welding. he did make great money, but also as mentioned by others, expect long hours on large projects.
obviously you have to feel comfortable diving and nobody knows that until you do it.
way back in the 80s when i got certified, i was in dive school with somebody that did great in class, but could not relax in the open ocean underwater. :confused:

Reactions: kindabitey