• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Motivational Pic Thread v2.0 - - New Rules - See Post #1

1692292430_r9aqm2n1fm.jpg

Here’s a fun fact for you…..all aircraft that go into the bone yard in the desert in Nevada are transferred legally to a Indian tribe, we needed a turbine for a convair 580 and had to go down there and pick one up, when we found the one we wanted we had to negotiate with the tribe that owned it, they of course required a donation before they would release it to us, all this because we signed some treaty 125 years go….

Here’s a fun fact for you…..all aircraft that go into the bone yard in the desert in Nevada are transferred legally to a Indian tribe, we needed a turbine for a convair 580 and had to go down there and pick one up, when we found the one we wanted we had to negotiate with the tribe that owned it, they of course required a donation before they would release it to us, all this because we signed some treaty 125 years go….

Are you talking about the Air Force boneyard at DM? I highly doubt they all are transferred to a tribe. A lot of the bombers, B-52s and others, were required to be put in there by some of the START treaties. They have to be viewable by satellite and available for inspection. I have a hard time believing that treaty allows transfer to non U.S. entities.

Didn’t the Russians start not complying with the start treaty… In other words, isn’t it no longer valid?

They could easily take aircraft out of the boneyard and start sending it over seas as long as they can be reactivated without crazy amounts of work.

The only thing they couldn’t give them would be F-14s, as they’ve destroyed all of them to keep them from falling into the hands of Iran.

Are you talking about the Air Force boneyard at DM? I highly doubt they all are transferred to a tribe. A lot of the bombers, B-52s and others, were required to be put in there by some of the START treaties. They have to be viewable by satellite and available for inspection. I have a hard time believing that treaty allows transfer to non U.S. entities.
DM is in Arizona. There are other boneyards in the desert, like one in Barstow, for commercial aircraft.

On edit... see above. I was about to say New Mexico but confused Cannon AFB.

Reactions: Cowpokey
DM is in Arizona. There are other boneyards in the desert, like one in Barstow, for commercial aircraft.

On edit... see above. I was about to say New Mexico but confused Cannon AFB.
I didn't realize there was a boneyard in Barstow....I was out there a couple times last fall. Will have to look for it next time.

Reactions: Barneybdb and lash
Last time I drove through the one in Barstow looked like it was all old commercial stuff. (Doesn’t mean it is, and that was a really long time ago)

I did a project at the old Walker AFB in Roswell a while back. Every day there was an excavator with a muncher on it turning old 737s and other stuff into scrap.

That is a pretty accurate meme.....You will still be having fun with your old Ford for a long time while you better enjoy your GM or Dodge when they are young because they don't make to old age!
Bs too the last sentence , mines almost eligible to be a classic and 90% original parts.

Reactions: lash
I didn't realize there was a boneyard in Barstow....I was out there a couple times last fall. Will have to look for it next time.
Just west of Barstow IIRC. Used to be bigger. Seem to have fewer aircraft than the last time I saw it. First time I saw it, there was still a bright orange L1011 from Braniff.