• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Motivational Pic Thread v2.0 - - New Rules - See Post #1

IMG_8375.jpeg

Looks great. What is a mock tenderloin? First look, I thought it was backstrap.
It’s a smaller portion of meat, triangular in shape, off the larger of the two flat roasts off the back leg. This is not the “eye of round.” It is a very tender cut even off the largest of whitetail.
IMG_6157.jpeg

This mock was off a rather large body deer I shot in 2022. Taxidermist estimate was the deer was 6 to 8 years of age. The mock tender was more tender than the backstrap.

This cut right here is my personal favorite, we call it the hind quarter back strap - basically a bit of backstrap that continues into the hind quarter but is under some other muscles.
hq_bs.jpg

Another great cut we call the 'weiss steak' because it turns white-ish when cooked, I think this is the one you cooked up @Tater Salad ?
weiss_steak.jpg

To a point. I remember reading a book more than once while driving before cell phones.... I have witnessed many many thing while driving that caused distractions. I think this is the younger generations not being able to multi task and not understanding consequences.
Never had a wreck while doing that but a few while day dreaming,

This cut right here is my personal favorite, we call it the hind quarter back strap - basically a bit of backstrap that continues into the hind quarter but is under some other muscles.
View attachment 8372251

Another great cut we call the 'weiss steak' because it turns white-ish when cooked, I think this is the one you cooked up @Tater Salad ?
View attachment 8372252
The first one with the hind quarter portion probably has the sirloin in it. Dare I say the “Tube Steak” is the eye of round. I like that in a mushroom soup with fried onion and potatoes.

Reactions: Barneybdb
Reactions: lash
What cut is a mock tenderloin? I’ve got a freezer full of venison. Did you cook it like a tenderloin?
Thanks, Kevin
Looks great. What is a mock tenderloin? First look, I thought it was backstrap.

On beef, it's a chewy piece of chuck cut to make it look like tenderloin, thus "mock tenderloin".

It's also called chuck tender, mock tender ... cut from the chuck/shoulder/subprime part of the moo.

beefchuckcutsfullsize.jpg

Last edited: