• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Motivational Pic Thread v2.0 - - New Rules - See Post #1

_facebook_-1023084386_.jpg

had to post this here

this reminded me of the below from a few years ago, seemed fitting to post

The average age of the military man is 19 years. He is a short haired, tight-muscled kid who, under normal circumstances is considered by society as half man, half boy. Not yet dry behind the ears, not old enough to buy a beer, but old enough to die for his country. He never really cared much for work and he would rather wax his own car than wash his father’s; but he has never collected unemployment either.

He’s a recent High School graduate; he was probably an average student, pursued some form of sport activities, drives a ten year old jalopy, and has a steady girlfriend that either broke up with him when he left, or swears to be waiting when he returns from half a world away. He listens to rock and roll or hip-hop or rap or jazz or swing and 155mm howitzers, mortars, grenades, RPGs, IEDs and rocket fires. He is 10 or 15 pounds lighter now than when he was at home because he is working or fighting from before dawn to well after dusk.

He has trouble spelling, thus letter writing is a pain for him, but he can field strip a rifle in 30 seconds and reassemble it in less time in the dark. He can recite to you the nomenclature of a machine gun or grenade launcher and use either one effectively if he must. He digs foxholes and latrines and can apply first aid like a professional. He can march until he is told to stop or stop until he is told to march.

He obeys orders instantly and without hesitation, but he is not without spirit or individual dignity. He is self-sufficient. He has two sets of fatigues: he washes one and wears the other. He keeps his canteens full and his feet dry. He sometimes forgets to brush his teeth, but never to clean his rifle. He can cook his own meals, mend his own clothes, and fix his own hurts. If you’re thirsty, he’ll share his water with you; if you are hungry, his food. He’ll even split his ammunition with you in the midst of battle when you run low.

He has learned to use his hands like weapons and weapons like they were his hands. He can save your life – or take it, because that is his job. He will often do twice the work of a civilian, draw half the pay and still find ironic humor in it all. He has seen more suffering and death then he should have in his short lifetime.

He has stood atop mountains of dead bodies, and helped to create them. He has wept in public and in private, for friends who have fallen in combat and is unashamed. He feels every note of the National Anthem vibrate through his body while at rigid attention, while tempering the burning desire to ‘square-away’ those around him who haven’t bothered to stand, remove their hat, or even stop talking. In an odd twist, day in and day out, far from home, he defends their right to be disrespectful.

Just as did his Father, Grandfather, and Great-grandfather, he is paying the price for our freedom. Beardless or not, he is not a boy. He is the American Fighting Soldier that has kept this country free for over 200 years.

He has asked nothing in return, except our friendship and understanding. Remember him, always, for he has earned our respect and admiration with his blood.

^^^^^^^^^^With all respect, unfortunately, this is part of our problem.

"He has trouble spelling, thus letter writing is a pain for him, but he can field strip a rifle in 30 seconds and reassemble it in less time in the dark"

We teach our youth to Kill efficiently, or be great sports stars, or efficient corporate bankers, scientists, and so on, rather than teaching them the essential arts of creative thinking and peaceable conflict resolution. So if they then survive, they deal with life through the same prism, and the cycle continues. That's no slur to the soldiers or the rest of the youth. I love them and want them to prosper. Its rather a comment on our world and the societies we have created. I saw just the other day an interesting quote...."They've discovered the link between the caveman and civilized society and its us." I believe that was Arthur C Clarke, though I'm not certain on that. Regardless, what he's saying is we need a new paradigm. We call primitive tribes uncivilized and look down our noses at them because they don't have flush toilets but we have atomic weapons and sarin gas. How does that make us more civilized? If our world is to survive we need that new paradigm, and we need it quickly.

I was 20 when they let me use an M-14 for 3 years, then they gave me my very own brand new from the box M-16 and a ride to Nam for another year. I was in the National Guard and they sent our whole Unit. Look back at just the fun times.

^^^^^^^^^^With all respect, unfortunately, this is part of our problem.

"He has trouble spelling, thus letter writing is a pain for him, but he can field strip a rifle in 30 seconds and reassemble it in less time in the dark"

We teach our youth to Kill efficiently, or be great sports stars, or efficient corporate bankers, scientists, and so on, rather than teaching them the essential arts of creative thinking and peaceable conflict resolution. So if they then survive, they deal with life through the same prism, and the cycle continues. That's no slur to the soldiers or the rest of the youth. I love them and want them to prosper. Its rather a comment on our world and the societies we have created. I saw just the other day an interesting quote...."They've discovered the link between the caveman and civilized society and its us." I believe that was Arthur C Clarke, though I'm not certain on that. Regardless, what he's saying is we need a new paradigm. We call primitive tribes uncivilized and look down our noses at them because they don't have flush toilets but we have atomic weapons and sarin gas. How does that make us more civilized? If our world is to survive we need that new paradigm, and we need it quickly.

"Hey, you with the box cutter, can you and your buddies please put that down so we can gather together and sing Kumbya? I know you had it rough growing up, oh, you didn't? You had a life of privilege and you chose to take over this aircraft and now you're gonna fly it into the world trade center to send a message? Wow, well I can see that you have some strong motivation there but really, can't we all just get along?? Oh shit, watch out for that buil......."

Great ideas you have. Sadly, there are evil people in this world who just don't respond well to "creative thinking and peaceable conflict resolution." These are the people who we must be concerned with, not normal, sensible, logical and rational people. Some folks will only EVER understand violence or the threat of violence. To deny their existence is foolish. BTW, I would posit that 99% of the men who fought in WW2, Korea or Vietnam did NOT want that for their children. My father was a WW2 vet and he cried when I went to Desert Storm and worried so much while I was there he developed psoriasis which evaporated when I came home. Orwell said it best: "Those who abjure violence can only do so because others are committing violence on their behalf."

Now back to your regular schedule.

I expected a reply like that. You are exactly what I'm talking about. You haven't learned to think even a nanometer outside stupid. Answer one question. Do you even know the meaning of "paradigm"?

I suspect people who will take advantage of others if given the opportunity have always existed, and always will. Calling GMan stupid, insulting his vocabulary, and taking a condescending tone is hardly an example of "creative thinking and peaceable conflict resolution," and it only took a post to bring a self-proclaimed advocate of peace there...

I think GMan's post is about spot-on, and appreciate that there are those who are willing to give a portion of their lives, and potentially a lot more, to defend the freedoms we have.

John

I suspect people who will take advantage of others if given the opportunity have always existed, and always will. Calling GMan stupid, insulting his vocabulary, and taking a condescending tone is hardly an example of "creative thinking and peaceable conflict resolution," and it only took a post to bring a self-proclaimed advocate of peace there...

I think GMan's post is about spot-on, and appreciate that there are those who are willing to give a portion of their lives, and potentially a lot more, to defend the freedoms we have.

John

Thank you John. On the first Paragraph I agree. I did almost exactly what I criticized. In stead of trying to reason and educate I got pissed. My bad. It probably happed exactly because this was the type of post I expected and hear too much of.

As to the your second paragraph, did you YOU bother to read beyond my reference to killing (therefore implying soldiers) to the fact that I included overpaid sports stars, banking, science and other professions. My intent was to draw to your attention that we place our values in the wrong places. I never said or in ANY way implied that one should not defend oneself. What I clearly said is that we need an entire new way of interpreting our way of lives in which we place our values on different fundamental principles. I don't claim to have all the answers...what I do know is that the systems we now employ aren't working and if we don't find another the world is going to face more than it can handle. Respectfully, do YOU know what paradigm shift is?

Most are so emotionally and psychologically conditioned so as to be able to only think and respond in one way. How about you?

John

John I appreciate you calling me on that. let me give you an example of what I'm suggesting. In our existant paradigm I support mandatory concealed carry for at least 25% of all school teachers. If we are going to require that our children go to schools, THEY WILL BE SAFE AND PROTECTED. If you consider yourself worthy to teach the children, you must be responsible to protect them, or no job. But on the other hand, I look for and support the creation of a PARADIGM in which that is un necessary. How to get there I don't know. I do know that not just in that arena, but in many, what we are doing is not working, and to not look for a better way is folly.

If you believe the Bible, the 3rd person on earth killed the 4th person (Cain & Abel), so war and killing have been going on for a long damned time, and it will keep going on until the lights go out. Its human nature.

If you believe the Bible, the 3rd person on earth killed the 4th person (Cain & Abel), so war and killing have been going on for a long damned time, and it will keep going on until the lights go out. Its human nature.

Too close to religon to pursue. Best avoided here.

But you may be right, we may have to wait til the lights go out. I try to avoid believing that scenario, but am open minded enough to face that possibility. I hope we are better than that.

Last edited:
I feel you, maggot.

Some times I take a step back and get disgusted with humanity that my job exists. We've designed trucks, tanks, planes, shovels, rifles, pistols, clothes, kit etc... scientific wonders all with the intention of throwing hot metal at human flesh.

Not saying we ought to bend over and take it and not fight back. Just wish it wasn't that way. I have similar feelings about police-- wish they weren't necessary, because it's just human ignorance that makes them so.

I feel you, maggot.

Some times I take a step back and get disgusted with humanity that my job exists. We've designed trucks, tanks, planes, shovels, rifles, pistols, clothes, kit etc... scientific wonders all with the intention of throwing hot metal at human flesh.

Not saying we ought to bend over and take it and not fight back. Just wish it wasn't that way. I have similar feelings about police-- wish they weren't necessary, because it's just human ignorance that makes them so.

Thanks, it was not my intention do dis anyone. Its just that I see war as the ultimate expression of our failure as humans.

AMEN Gman

"Hey, you with the box cutter, can you and your buddies please put that down so we can gather together and sing Kumbya? I know you had it rough growing up, oh, you didn't? You had a life of privilege and you chose to take over this aircraft and now you're gonna fly it into the world trade center to send a message? Wow, well I can see that you have some strong motivation there but really, can't we all just get along?? Oh shit, watch out for that buil......."

Great ideas you have. Sadly, there are evil people in this world who just don't respond well to "creative thinking and peaceable conflict resolution." These are the people who we must be concerned with, not normal, sensible, logical and rational people. Some folks will only EVER understand violence or the threat of violence. To deny their existence is foolish. BTW, I would posit that 99% of the men who fought in WW2, Korea or Vietnam did NOT want that for their children. My father was a WW2 vet and he cried when I went to Desert Storm and worried so much while I was there he developed psoriasis which evaporated when I came home. Orwell said it best: "Those who abjure violence can only do so because others are committing violence on their behalf."

Now back to your regular schedule.

My father hit the shores of Germany two years after the fall of Hitler & the Nazis. He is still alive and doing well thank God but the stories he has shared that were told to him by German citizens during his years there is frightening! The "Reality" of life is as long as this world is occupied by various nations, tribes, religions and cults there WILL be conflict! It's up to the educated and trained individual that does have a sense of caring for family & fellow man to be aware of those that are evil and we as a society should be exterminating them but we're not. Our courts and the legal system in general has become so weak on punishing violent & evil beings that it's disgusting!! I'll be glad when our society realizes that there's a huge difference between punishment and incarceration.

The average age of the military man is 19 years. He is a short haired, tight-muscled kid who, under normal circumstances is considered by society as half man, half boy. Not yet dry behind the ears, not old enough to buy a beer, but old enough to die for his country. He never really cared much for work and he would rather wax his own car than wash his father’s; but he has never collected unemployment either.

He’s a recent High School graduate; he was probably an average student, pursued some form of sport activities, drives a ten year old jalopy, and has a steady girlfriend that either broke up with him when he left, or swears to be waiting when he returns from half a world away. He listens to rock and roll or hip-hop or rap or jazz or swing and 155mm howitzers, mortars, grenades, RPGs, IEDs and rocket fires. He is 10 or 15 pounds lighter now than when he was at home because he is working or fighting from before dawn to well after dusk.

He has trouble spelling, thus letter writing is a pain for him, but he can field strip a rifle in 30 seconds and reassemble it in less time in the dark. He can recite to you the nomenclature of a machine gun or grenade launcher and use either one effectively if he must. He digs foxholes and latrines and can apply first aid like a professional. He can march until he is told to stop or stop until he is told to march.

He obeys orders instantly and without hesitation, but he is not without spirit or individual dignity. He is self-sufficient. He has two sets of fatigues: he washes one and wears the other. He keeps his canteens full and his feet dry. He sometimes forgets to brush his teeth, but never to clean his rifle. He can cook his own meals, mend his own clothes, and fix his own hurts. If you’re thirsty, he’ll share his water with you; if you are hungry, his food. He’ll even split his ammunition with you in the midst of battle when you run low.

He has learned to use his hands like weapons and weapons like they were his hands. He can save your life – or take it, because that is his job. He will often do twice the work of a civilian, draw half the pay and still find ironic humor in it all. He has seen more suffering and death then he should have in his short lifetime.

He has stood atop mountains of dead bodies, and helped to create them. He has wept in public and in private, for friends who have fallen in combat and is unashamed. He feels every note of the National Anthem vibrate through his body while at rigid attention, while tempering the burning desire to ‘square-away’ those around him who haven’t bothered to stand, remove their hat, or even stop talking. In an odd twist, day in and day out, far from home, he defends their right to be disrespectful.

Just as did his Father, Grandfather, and Great-grandfather, he is paying the price for our freedom. Beardless or not, he is not a boy. He is the American Fighting Soldier that has kept this country free for over 200 years.

He has asked nothing in return, except our friendship and understanding. Remember him, always, for he has earned our respect and admiration with his blood.

I am sooo stealing this if it is OK?

I know this has happened to everyone! 'and while I fucking hate rap, this video is funny and well worth the watch.

[video=youtube;RC-e5vs6NeY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RC-e5vs6NeY[/video]

You deserve a ban for that HB. A whole can of eye/ear bleach won't fix that.

John I appreciate you calling me on that. let me give you an example of what I'm suggesting. In our existant paradigm I support mandatory concealed carry for at least 25% of all school teachers. If we are going to require that our children go to schools, THEY WILL BE SAFE AND PROTECTED. If you consider yourself worthy to teach the children, you must be responsible to protect them, or no job. But on the other hand, I look for and support the creation of a PARADIGM in which that is un necessary. How to get there I don't know. I do know that not just in that arena, but in many, what we are doing is not working, and to not look for a better way is folly.

I agree that arming some percentage of competent teachers is an attractive idea, again to protect us from that .001 percent (or fewer) that make such things necessary. Statistics suggest the US today is near the safest time/place in history to be alive, and I wonder if that hasn't led to reducing our focus on defending against the odd religious fanatic, mentally ill, etc..

As for changes in paradigms, the Boston bombings were solved in large part due to things (smart phones with video/cameras) that weren't around even ten years ago, and I suspect it will become increasingly difficult to evade capture for such crimes. It's those who know they'll be captured and are acting out for the attention that scare me.

Every red blooded American boy's dream....destroying a mall. Some pyro would have been nice.

Lots of space in this mall... disco pants and haircuts... New Oldsmobiles are in early... It doesn't get any better!

"It's 106 miles to Chicago. We have a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes. It's dark. We're wearing sunglasses. Hit it!" So many classic moments.

Amazing that there is an entire generation... maybe two... who have never seen this.

Silly tween vampire and wizard movies will NEVER be a substitute for The Blues Brothers, Blazing Saddles and Police Academy...

Awesomeness... pure awesomeness.

Cheers,

Elwood "Sirhr" Blues

Amazing that there is an entire generation... maybe two... who have never seen this.

Silly tween vampire and wizard movies will NEVER be a substitute for The Blues Brothers, Blazing Saddles and Police Academy...

Elwood "Sirhr" Blues

Mikee "Jake" Booshay thinks that Animal House was where he went to school! That is also one of the best!

War Stories by LtCOL North is an excellent read. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a piece of art in words.