• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mrad quest.

You just answered your own question. Lol.

What if one click wasn’t equivalent to .1 Mil at 100 meters. What if one click equated to .1 Mil (one cm) at 50 meters (but that distance figure wasn’t stated on the turrets).

Don’t you think that your rifle’s dope for a 1000m shot would be different from the same elevation you verified based on a scope indexed for 1 click=.1mil at 100m?

do you think you’d still be on target with the first round fired dialing up the same number of clicks using this new scope with a different index (unbeknownst to you because no distance figure is on the turrets)

Or better yet. What if .1mil = .1mil regardless of the distance from your target? Suddenly it wouldn’t matter how far you were away, it would always be .1mil.

Man - something like that would make the whole thing way more simple!

23D922C0-744D-4F16-8259-DDE6C300A029.gif

Wow 1 simple question generated so many pointless and useless answers
While acknowledging that you did indeed get a lot of pointless/useless response, if you stay around long enough and learn the fundamentals you'll realize why your question triggered it.

0.05 mrad click is indeed 0.5cm at 100 meters.

1MOA is not exactly 1 inch at 100yards, so 1/4 MOA click is not exactly 1/4 inch at 100 yards.

Aside from silly turret labeling, the scope you have is a fairly decent design, but I would not spend too much time twisting turrets. Sight it in and use it within the MPBR without messing with the turrets.

ILya

I just received a bushnell forge rifle scope. Store sent a scope with .05 mil per click turrets. I've never used a mil scope before. Would at 100m .05 mil click equal .5cm on target?
1mil @100m = 3.65 inches

• Haha
Reactions: Secant
The answer to the question is simple yes that 0.05MIL or 0.05MRAD adjustment from its current setting is equal to 5mm at a 100m. If you are shooting at yard lines versus meters then 0.05MRAD at 100y is equal to 0.18 inches (4.57mm).

1625119422110.png

Many scopes were manufactured with MOA turrets and MRAD recticule. There are many reasons, a lot of them stupid, for this but the one I will focus on is that 1 MOA at 100m is approximately 1.456 inches where as 1 MRAD at 100m is 10cm and to divide that angular measurement up at shorter distances meant the manufacture of the adjusters did not have to be that precise for MOA versus MRAD. So 1 click at 1/4 MOA meant at 100m you got 0.364 inches of radius or 9.246mm radius of adjustment versus 1 click equaling 1/4 MRAD which would be 0.894 inches or 2.5cm of radius adjustment. So as you can see, if the tool doing the measuring was not manufactured with high tolerances the error for MRAD would be too big or measurable versus MOA.

As manufacturing got better and precision came at a lower cost your measuring tool could not be manufactured to measure 0.1 or 1/10th of an MRAD so now we have the granularity at shorter distances but a more effective measure at greater distances such as a 1000m or 1000y which everyone wants to shoot at these days.

Now the reason you see a scope manufacturer put something like 1/4 MOA at 100 yards or 0.05 MIL at 100 meters is a carry over from shooters MOA. What is shooters MOA you ask; well 1 MOA at 100 yards does not quite equal 1 inch, it equals 1.04688 inches of radius. So again scope manufacturers rounded this number to 1inch or shooters MOA which meant they could get away with more inaccuracy (cheaper manufacturing) and people shooting at the 100 yard line did not have to have a calculator handy.

By placing 1 click equals 0.05 MIL at 100 meters on the scope tells me it is a carry over from shooters MOA and was done to gloss over inaccuracies in manufacture or ability to measure accurately so the scope might not adjust accurately out to larger distances.

Reactions: STRYKER74
You mean 1/20th, used to working in thou are you.

Yes, remind me not to math.
I need to get one of those scopes with 0.005 mil turrets with 0.2 mil per rev and 3 mil of total travel. But when you really need to move that bullet just a skosh...

Actually going through math again I am pretty sure it is 1/200th of a yard at 100 yards. Yes it is 1/20th of a mil. But I do suck at maths... I do know enough though to say that putting 0.05 mil at 100 yards makes as much sense as putting 0.05 mil at 46.5 meters. A mil is a mil at any distance. Why they put a yardage on there is a mystery to me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vicko
I just received a bushnell forge rifle scope. Store sent a scope with .05 mil per click turrets. I've never used a mil scope before. Would at 100m .05 mil click equal .5cm on target?
You are right, greetings from FraJo /Austria.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210702_120310_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210702_120310_com.android.chrome.jpg
    212.6 KB · Views: 71