• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Multi color cerakote application

Shaerk

Private
Minuteman
Mar 2, 2013
West Georgia
I do custom knives on the side and have been doing single color cerakote for some time now. They come out very good. I am working on a project now that i would like to do a snakeskin effect on. I will spray the entire blade in armor black then do a couple of other colors burnt bronze and fde with a mesh template to give the proper effect. Question is, do you apply colors one after the other then bake or do you apply a color and bake for say 15 minutes to flash then apply the next color and do the same so on and so on followed by a full cure in the oven? Any help is appreciated.

From what I know, Cerakote doesn't adhere to itself worth a dang.

Not sure where you got that information but it is incorrect.

To the OP, just flash cure each layer for about 20min at 180deg and you'll be fine. Limit touching any of the area to be painted since your skin will transfer oil.

15 minutes @ 180 according to NIC for flash curing using stencils

Ive had success using multiple colors after flash curing the base coat(think stripes as opposed to multiple coats.) It seemed to blend well with no ill effects.

My oven is jenky and I don't know anything besides what's in the NIC manual, but when I've fooled with mesh, the cerakote was very easy to mar while it was warm.
I let mine cool a bit and it seems to be more resilient.

I cut up an old diving gear bag I had for making patterns, and it doesn't seem to mind being baked @ 250 for hours. I made sure to test it first:rolleyes:

I'm no expert, this is only my experiences. Your results may be different.

My 2nd attempt at snakey camo......when I get this right, I'll give the AK a good blasting, just for fun.
I chopped a ton of stuff with it after the first attempt, with no problems of cerakote not sticking to itself.
My favorite part is that it feels like one perfectly smooth coat.
imag0344p.jpg

cerakote.com You can buy individual colors, a 6-color kit $180, 12-color kit $340, 24-color kit $480. Just purchased a 6-color kit, it shipped to ohio from Oregon in 3-days! Been playing with mine for a few weeks now, It takes some practice but it is not too bad. I can tell you that you MUST wear a filtered mask or you'll get sick smelling it! Don't ask......Make sure that you completely remove all oils by baking your item or it will ruin the final finish. Good luck.

Attachments

• IMAG0098.jpg
    IMAG0098.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Sorry to revive this oldie but I have a question for anyone that can answer it.

Can the Cerakote H system be used for multi-layered stenciling/masking? For example: Between flashing, can additional stencils be applied?

Thx. in advance,
Max

Sorry to revive this oldie but I have a question for anyone that can answer it.

Can the Cerakote H system be used for multi-layered stenciling/masking? For example: Between flashing, can additional stencils be applied?

Thx. in advance,
Max

YES....no problem with that...