Muzzle devices

JoshPutman

Private
Minuteman
Jan 22, 2020
Michigan
Ok, I've searched and haven't really seen much discussion on muzzle devices.

Brakes, comps, and flash hiders.

I've watched some comparison videos on YouTube, and have seen some interesting stuff.

I'm curious what everyone likes to run on their rifle, and why.

I know a lot of you are probably going to say "suppressor" 😆

Shooter McGavin

NTRP TEAM MEMBER #33
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jun 22, 2009
    Some where in the US
    I like to run Surefire 3 prong and brakes. Also, OSS brakes and flash hiders. The reason is I have Surefire SOCOM556-RC2 and OSS HX-QD 556 cans. Competition gun wears PRI compensator and I don't even compete, got put on the back burner.

Reactions: Ravenworks

mateofeo85

Sergeant of the Hide
    Minuteman
    Sep 29, 2010
    New Mexico
    Most of my shorty gas guns have either AAC, Surefire (Legacy), or Griffin Armament brakes, since I mostly shoot them suppressed. A few have the AAC FH variant mounts, but I much prefer the brake since it provides some "baffle" surface area that essentially limits blast on the suppressor's blast baffle. I personally don't love the ringing noise that the 3-prong devices produce when shot unsuppressed. 2-3 of my gas guns have standard A2's, but that's because they're OG Colts that I want to keep in original form, and another being a Mk18 Mod0 clone that I like with the A2.

All that said, my two favorite muzzle devices are the AAC Brakeout and the Griffin Armament Taper Mount Minimalist Brake. Why? Because they're pretty obnoxious on a 10.5" SBR and shake your bones with that blast :p I've since sold my Noveske Flaming Pigs, but man did they shoot an impressive fireball.

I have a handful of other carbines, a few of which I've used for competition, that have either PWS or Rainier brakes, for the same reason that @Trigger Monkey states above.

drewthebrave

Sergeant of the Hide
    Minuteman
    Aug 20, 2019
    Living in California, it's a pain in the ass to have a flash hider, so I've tried a handful of brakes & comps. I recently tried the KAK Compensator on my 6.5 Creedmoor build, and at under $15, I'm not sure there's a better value. It's compact, controls muzzle rise really well, and doesn't rattle teeth like the side-ported brakes tend to do. If you're not sure what you want, I think it's a no-brainer to try one out.

If I could legally own a suppressor, I'd use whatever I need to mount the can, and likely rarely shoot unsuppressed.

TonyTheTiger

Like a Boss
    Minuteman
    Feb 14, 2017
    I love me some aggressive brakes. The rifles I use the most are competition guns, but every time I assemble a non-match rifle and put anything less than an effective brake on it it feels like an SKS and I hate knowing I'm leaving easy performance on the table.

Reactions: mateofeo85

RUTGERS95

Private
    Minuteman
    Nov 2, 2009
    NJ
    in NewJermany we have to use brakes. My favorites are the vg and the dead air as I think they do the best job.

Baron23

Check 6
    Supporter
    Minuteman
  • Mar 19, 2020
    Maryland

I've watched some comparison videos on YouTube, and have seen some interesting stuff.

Hope this is helpful

Reactions: JoshPutman

Bigtrucknut

Private
    Minuteman
    Dec 9, 2020
    NoVA
    AR-Stoner Precision Muzzle Brake (3-port) for $19.99 at Midway. I have one on my LR243 and another on the LR308. Can't beat the price and it seems to work to reduce felt recoil and keep me on target.

bfoosh006

Sergeant
    Minuteman
  • Jun 13, 2007
    PNW
    As mentioned... you need to decide what your most important aspect is. Bench shooting ? , Combat, ... etc

Recoil reduction ? ... Muzzle control ?... Flash Hiding ? ( possible night use )...trying not to blow a ton of crap up from the ground while shooting prone ?

I have yet to find a 100% do all muzzle device, however.. the A2 does a good job ( cheaply ) on the last 2 mentioned.

On a side note, and just something to ponder... any muzzle device that directs any blast back towards you, even at a slight angle ( some of the VERY effective recoil reduction ones ) can be very annoying, at least to me.. so research your possible choice.....YMMV

TonyTheTiger

Like a Boss
    Minuteman
    Feb 14, 2017
    My favorite brake right now is the Precision Armament Hypertap. It's tunable and not terribly blasty. Easily outperforms the other 20+ brakes I've tested. You lose some recoil reduction when you open the top ports for compensation, but it's definitely worth it.
    Video, for awesomeness demonstration:

bigjake83

Golden Shellback
    Minuteman
  • May 19, 2013
    Southern Idaho
    I'm a 100% American Precision Arms Fan boy, very effective for recoil reduction and the new GEN3 Adjustable Bastard Brakes are very effective and easy to install and remove.

Running them in conjunction with a Adjustable Gas Block, JP SCS and JP VMOS BCG makes the Lage Frame AR's become a fine tuned machine that is controllable and predictable just the same as a fine tuned Bolt Rifle letting the Semi Auto show it's true advantage of faster follow-up shots with greater accuracy.

Not only are they a quality product but their Customer service is outstanding, along with their Military and first responders programs.

And I can give two shits about using a flash hider, anything that I'm shooting at isn't going hear the report of the rifle let alone see a flash.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Bluedog82

rhsc

Red Headed Step Child
    Supporter
    Minuteman
  • Mar 4, 2018
    South Texas
    I don't shoot suppressed and 5.56 just doesn't have enough recoil jump to justify the noise of a brake for me, so I decided to put the most effective flash hider I could find on my AR, and research showed that to be a tie between the B.E. Meyers 249F and the JP Enterprises JPFH-556. The Meyers unit is discontinued (and was quite expensive) so I got the JP. It does the job well in that I have never noticed any flash day or night after mounting it. On the downside, the JP is longer than an A2 birdcage and it rings noticeably upon firing (a bit like a tuning fork) but I think it's a good trade-off for effectively eliminating the flash signature on my 16" carbine. The ringing is nowhere near as loud as the 5.56 report anyway. The JP flash hider also comes pre-drilled for a pin-and-weld installation.

rustyinbend

GySgt USMC 1976-1992
    Minuteman
    Dec 9, 2018
    Bend, Oregon
    As guessed, the answer is "Suppressor". Here's a pic of my "Can-Case". I only have one rifle with a muzzle brake, and that's my LWRCI REPR MKII Elite in 6.5-CM ... mounted with an APA Gen-3 Fat Bastard. Love the cans the best, but watching the hat get knocked off the guy at the next bench with the back-blow from the Fat Bastard is pretty fun too ... as is the minimal recoil and sight picture reacquisition. APA makes great brakes.

Bottom line ... find and buy some good multi-caliber cans (like the SC Chimera-300's in slots 3 and 4), and relax for the next 8-to-10 months until they arrive. In the meantime, get a good self-timing easy-on/off brake like the APA Fat Bastard ... and head for the range.

1623418914444.png

devildog93

Private
    Minuteman
    Aug 5, 2020
    As mentioned... you need to decide what your most important aspect is. Bench shooting ? , Combat, ... etc

Recoil reduction ? ... Muzzle control ?... Flash Hiding ? ( possible night use )...trying not to blow a ton of crap up from the ground while shooting prone ?

I have yet to find a 100% do all muzzle device, however.. the A2 does a good job ( cheaply ) on the last 2 mentioned.

On a side note, and just something to ponder... any muzzle device that directs any blast back towards you, even at a slight angle ( some of the VERY effective recoil reduction ones ) can be very annoying, at least to me.. so research your possible choice.....YMMV
    I think the efab is the best all around, but not cheap. Brake, compensator and flash hider all in one. Also you need an accuwasher set to time it. Even with all that I think it is definitely worth it. I don't think it even has competition. Everything you want without having to be the ass at the range blasting the guy next to you.

Last edited:
    Reactions: bfoosh006

bfoosh006

Sergeant
    Minuteman
  • Jun 13, 2007
    PNW
    I am going to have to try the various Precision Armament devices. Thanks to all for the suggestions !

MudRunner2005

Private
    Minuteman
    Aug 26, 2013
    Alabama
    I run Dead Air KeyMount Brakes on mine. Because I do run suppressed all the time (if the weapon has a threaded barrel, or has been threaded...I still have lots of bolt guns that need to be threaded).

Lurp06x

Private
    Minuteman
    Feb 23, 2020
    The area 419 hell fire or little bastard breaks are too much for me.
    Recently put a PRI break on my 6.5 creed build and it is excellent.

Attachments

• F29E6171-A681-4BF4-950E-91E4C1317FBE.jpeg
      F29E6171-A681-4BF4-950E-91E4C1317FBE.jpeg
      745.5 KB · Views: 8

person

Private
    Minuteman
    Jan 20, 2021
    place
    PWS FSC and GAMMA VG6 on everything since forever - I actually made a bunch of prototype brakes at one point in a number of styles and without doing really expensive wire edm I couldn't beat them for the combo of recoil and flash mitigation.

If you are going to suppress choose something that mounts one.

Majja

Private
    Minuteman
    Jan 8, 2018

I am shooting a Fortis Red on my 14.5" build with AGB and Lightweight bolt and buffer. This gun almost moves forward, and is a fast shooting and cycling gun. It is LOUND just like my old Harley was. In 223 I love this break much better the the birdcage. I am not sure what I am going with on my 6.5C build

clcustom1911

"Cartman 1-2, come in"
    Supporter
    Minuteman
  • Oct 23, 2017
    Texas Hill Country
    Surefire Fast Attach and SOCOM brakes for my Surefire SOCOM 556 RC2.

Ops Inc #12 brake/collar on my 18" for the AEM5 can.

I also run the standard Surefire brake on one of my rifffles. Does a fantastic job, but loud as fuck.

I also do standard A2 flashider for other builds.
    Nothing too fancy.

Ravenworks

Semper-Fi "80-84"
    Minuteman
  • Feb 8, 2019
    North Coast
    I run Surefire Warcomp on everything.
    It seriously allows me to come out of recoil and back on target as if I never left the target to begin with.

Vivacious Stallion

A Public Health "Authority" figure
    Minuteman
  • Feb 27, 2019
    The Streets of USA, Baby
    Personally, I liked my dead air muzzle break even before I got my can. It keeps the gun flat and tames alot of the recoil without being as aggressively loud as some others.

I had the JP tank brake (the really big dude) or whatever it's called on a previous rifle. I did not like it and wouldn't recommend it unless you are medically inclined to not harm your shoulder.