• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Muzzle devices

JoshPutman

Make tar and feathers great again.
Minuteman
Jan 22, 2020
Michigan
Ok, I've searched and haven't really seen much discussion on muzzle devices.

Brakes, comps, and flash hiders.

I've watched some comparison videos on YouTube, and have seen some interesting stuff.

I'm curious what everyone likes to run on their rifle, and why.

I know a lot of you are probably going to say "suppressor" 😆

I'm just really looking for some good discussion on preferences for different applications and experiences.

I like to run Surefire 3 prong and brakes. Also, OSS brakes and flash hiders. The reason is I have Surefire SOCOM556-RC2 and OSS HX-QD 556 cans. Competition gun wears PRI compensator and I don't even compete, got put on the back burner.

Reactions: Ravenworks
Most of my shorty gas guns have either AAC, Surefire (Legacy), or Griffin Armament brakes, since I mostly shoot them suppressed. A few have the AAC FH variant mounts, but I much prefer the brake since it provides some "baffle" surface area that essentially limits blast on the suppressor's blast baffle. I personally don't love the ringing noise that the 3-prong devices produce when shot unsuppressed. 2-3 of my gas guns have standard A2's, but that's because they're OG Colts that I want to keep in original form, and another being a Mk18 Mod0 clone that I like with the A2.

All that said, my two favorite muzzle devices are the AAC Brakeout and the Griffin Armament Taper Mount Minimalist Brake. Why? Because they're pretty obnoxious on a 10.5" SBR and shake your bones with that blast :p I've since sold my Noveske Flaming Pigs, but man did they shoot an impressive fireball.

I have a handful of other carbines, a few of which I've used for competition, that have either PWS or Rainier brakes, for the same reason that @Trigger Monkey states above.

Living in California, it's a pain in the ass to have a flash hider, so I've tried a handful of brakes & comps. I recently tried the KAK Compensator on my 6.5 Creedmoor build, and at under $15, I'm not sure there's a better value. It's compact, controls muzzle rise really well, and doesn't rattle teeth like the side-ported brakes tend to do. If you're not sure what you want, I think it's a no-brainer to try one out.

If I could legally own a suppressor, I'd use whatever I need to mount the can, and likely rarely shoot unsuppressed.

I love me some aggressive brakes. The rifles I use the most are competition guns, but every time I assemble a non-match rifle and put anything less than an effective brake on it it feels like an SKS and I hate knowing I'm leaving easy performance on the table.

in NewJermany we have to use brakes. My favorites are the vg and the dead air as I think they do the best job.

I've watched some comparison videos on YouTube, and have seen some interesting stuff.

Hope this is helpful

Reactions: JoshPutman
AR-Stoner Precision Muzzle Brake (3-port) for $19.99 at Midway. I have one on my LR243 and another on the LR308. Can't beat the price and it seems to work to reduce felt recoil and keep me on target.

As mentioned... you need to decide what your most important aspect is. Bench shooting ? , Combat, ... etc

Recoil reduction ? ... Muzzle control ?... Flash Hiding ? ( possible night use )...trying not to blow a ton of crap up from the ground while shooting prone ?

I have yet to find a 100% do all muzzle device, however.. the A2 does a good job ( cheaply ) on the last 2 mentioned.

On a side note, and just something to ponder... any muzzle device that directs any blast back towards you, even at a slight angle ( some of the VERY effective recoil reduction ones ) can be very annoying, at least to me.. so research your possible choice.....YMMV

Reactions: rancher5
My favorite brake right now is the Precision Armament Hypertap. It's tunable and not terribly blasty. Easily outperforms the other 20+ brakes I've tested. You lose some recoil reduction when you open the top ports for compensation, but it's definitely worth it.
Video, for awesomeness demonstration:

I'm a 100% American Precision Arms Fan boy, very effective for recoil reduction and the new GEN3 Adjustable Bastard Brakes are very effective and easy to install and remove.

Running them in conjunction with a Adjustable Gas Block, JP SCS and JP VMOS BCG makes the Lage Frame AR's become a fine tuned machine that is controllable and predictable just the same as a fine tuned Bolt Rifle letting the Semi Auto show it's true advantage of faster follow-up shots with greater accuracy.

Not only are they a quality product but their Customer service is outstanding, along with their Military and first responders programs.

And I can give two shits about using a flash hider, anything that I'm shooting at isn't going hear the report of the rifle let alone see a flash.

Last edited:
I don't shoot suppressed and 5.56 just doesn't have enough recoil jump to justify the noise of a brake for me, so I decided to put the most effective flash hider I could find on my AR, and research showed that to be a tie between the B.E. Meyers 249F and the JP Enterprises JPFH-556. The Meyers unit is discontinued (and was quite expensive) so I got the JP. It does the job well in that I have never noticed any flash day or night after mounting it. On the downside, the JP is longer than an A2 birdcage and it rings noticeably upon firing (a bit like a tuning fork) but I think it's a good trade-off for effectively eliminating the flash signature on my 16" carbine. The ringing is nowhere near as loud as the 5.56 report anyway. The JP flash hider also comes pre-drilled for a pin-and-weld installation.

As guessed, the answer is "Suppressor". Here's a pic of my "Can-Case". I only have one rifle with a muzzle brake, and that's my LWRCI REPR MKII Elite in 6.5-CM ... mounted with an APA Gen-3 Fat Bastard. Love the cans the best, but watching the hat get knocked off the guy at the next bench with the back-blow from the Fat Bastard is pretty fun too ... as is the minimal recoil and sight picture reacquisition. APA makes great brakes.

Bottom line ... find and buy some good multi-caliber cans (like the SC Chimera-300's in slots 3 and 4), and relax for the next 8-to-10 months until they arrive. In the meantime, get a good self-timing easy-on/off brake like the APA Fat Bastard ... and head for the range.

1623418914444.png

As mentioned... you need to decide what your most important aspect is. Bench shooting ? , Combat, ... etc

Recoil reduction ? ... Muzzle control ?... Flash Hiding ? ( possible night use )...trying not to blow a ton of crap up from the ground while shooting prone ?

I have yet to find a 100% do all muzzle device, however.. the A2 does a good job ( cheaply ) on the last 2 mentioned.

On a side note, and just something to ponder... any muzzle device that directs any blast back towards you, even at a slight angle ( some of the VERY effective recoil reduction ones ) can be very annoying, at least to me.. so research your possible choice.....YMMV
I think the efab is the best all around, but not cheap. Brake, compensator and flash hider all in one. Also you need an accuwasher set to time it. Even with all that I think it is definitely worth it. I don't think it even has competition. Everything you want without having to be the ass at the range blasting the guy next to you.

Last edited:
Reactions: bfoosh006
I am going to have to try the various Precision Armament devices. Thanks to all for the suggestions !

I run Dead Air KeyMount Brakes on mine. Because I do run suppressed all the time (if the weapon has a threaded barrel, or has been threaded...I still have lots of bolt guns that need to be threaded).

The area 419 hell fire or little bastard breaks are too much for me.
Recently put a PRI break on my 6.5 creed build and it is excellent.

Attachments

• F29E6171-A681-4BF4-950E-91E4C1317FBE.jpeg
    F29E6171-A681-4BF4-950E-91E4C1317FBE.jpeg
    745.5 KB · Views: 364
PWS FSC and GAMMA VG6 on everything since forever - I actually made a bunch of prototype brakes at one point in a number of styles and without doing really expensive wire edm I couldn't beat them for the combo of recoil and flash mitigation.

If you are going to suppress choose something that mounts one.

I am shooting a Fortis Red on my 14.5" build with AGB and Lightweight bolt and buffer. This gun almost moves forward, and is a fast shooting and cycling gun. It is LOUND just like my old Harley was. In 223 I love this break much better the the birdcage. I am not sure what I am going with on my 6.5C build

Surefire Fast Attach and SOCOM brakes for my Surefire SOCOM 556 RC2.

Ops Inc #12 brake/collar on my 18" for the AEM5 can.

I also run the standard Surefire brake on one of my rifffles. Does a fantastic job, but loud as fuck.

I also do standard A2 flashider for other builds.
Nothing too fancy.

I run Surefire Warcomp on everything.
It seriously allows me to come out of recoil and back on target as if I never left the target to begin with.

Personally, I liked my dead air muzzle break even before I got my can. It keeps the gun flat and tames alot of the recoil without being as aggressively loud as some others.

I had the JP tank brake (the really big dude) or whatever it's called on a previous rifle. I did not like it and wouldn't recommend it unless you are medically inclined to not harm your shoulder.

I really like cadex muzzle brakes. I have a mx1 on my 223. And a mx2 on my 308. Both are amazing. I also have a precision armament hyper rap on my X95 and it works really well but it's 3x price of the cadex and does pretty much same thing.

I have been using Muzzle Brakes and More for over two years with good results on 300wm, 300 prc, 6.5 prc. muzzlebrakesandmore .com

Muzzle Brakes and More for magnums without a doubt. Really hard to beat. My 6lb 300 PRC rifle feels like a .243 to shoot based on felt recoil with my brake.

Otherwise, yes, suppressor is a good answer 😬. I am a huge fan of the Q Cherry Bomb and Plan B combo. I cannot get it to carbon lock at all on my semi autos.

For small / intermediate calibers like a .223 - 6.5cm I really don't see the point of a brake personally. An unpopular, personal opinion! It is nice to swap a suppressor around with QD capability, but to me that is about it.

I love them. You can specify the bore size and he will ream it for the caliber that you are shooting. I have a lathe so I order them un - reamed and ream them myself.

I also have a custom fit Witt muzzle Brake on my main 300Wm 26" 1k yd rifle. It's extremely effective in reducing recoil. It's also a very good choice. It's quite large and I often think about replacing it with a Muzzle Brake or More device but it shoots a 4" group at a half mile. I'm not going to replace it.

I prefer a brake with some compensation as well. It reduced my time for an accurate follow up shot rather notably. Keep in mind "where" in your shoulder pocket you put the butt stock also impacts how much movement of the barrel you get with each shot (and which direction it moves). Once you have everything tuned out right, you get very little movement after a shot. Almost everyone talks about brakes/compensators, but they often leave out the shoulder pocket aspect (probably because they don't want to offend experienced shooters who are already well aware of this).

If you use a bipod, how "springy" it is matters as well. The lightweight polymer Magpul bipods are VERY springy (as an example). Atlas Bipods tend to be much stiffer, and experience less "bounce". All of these factors matter.

Last edited:
Reactions: TonyTheTiger
Keep in mind "where" in your shoulder pocket you put the butt stock also impacts how much movement of the barrel you get with each shot (and which direction it moves). Once you have everything tuned out right, you get very little movement after a shot. Almost everyone talks about brakes/compensators, but they often leave out the should pocket aspect
Truth. I don't care how cool you think the bazooka hold looks, it's the worst possible way to control recoil and if you're not armored up there's no reason to use it.

I have both the VG6 Gamma and the precision armament m4-72 severe duty for 5.56/223 on two different rifles, and for the price premium notice absolutely no difference, except the PA m4-72 pisses off more people with more noise and blast aimed towards the sides.

I have both the VG6 Gamma and the precision armament m4-72 severe duty for 5.56/223 on two different rifles, and for the price premium notice absolutely no difference,
When I tested those two it was a night and day difference. What was the measured dispersion difference that you saw between them?

When I tested those two it was a night and day difference. What was the measured dispersion difference that you saw between them?
Ill be honest with you, I didnt use any scientific method here, just compared the results as far as felt recoil, and didnt see a significant difference. What did your testing show?

Since I haven't seen it mentioned, just going to throw out Ultradyne as another quality brake manufacturer. I really like the Pulse model (the two port, smallest one) on my ARs.

Ill be honest with you, I didnt use any scientific method here, just compared the results as far as felt recoil, and didnt see a significant difference. What did your testing show?
The shoulderometer had a strong preference for the M4-72, but the part that actually matters was doubles on paper. My test was hardly scientific either, but both brakes were pulled off their owners rifles and installed on one of mine to use as a control. With splits in the .12-.15 second range at 25 yards the the M4-72 showed about half the dispersion with a neutral hold on the rifle. I didn't record the measurements but going off memory I would guess the VG6 was in the 5-7" range and the M4-72 was 3-4", or thereabouts. It was drastic enough that the VG6 owner promptly bought a more effective brake.

The shoulderometer had a strong preference for the M4-72, but the part that actually matters was doubles on paper. My test was hardly scientific either, but both brakes were pulled off their owners rifles and installed on one of mine to use as a control. With splits in the .12-.15 second range at 25 yards the the M4-72 showed about half the dispersion with a neutral hold on the rifle. I didn't record the measurements but going off memory I would guess the VG6 was in the 5-7" range and the M4-72 was 3-4", or thereabouts. It was drastic enough that the VG6 owner promptly bought a more effective brake.
Thats interesting, and you're sure it was the gamma and not the epilson or other VG6?

https://cdn0.thetruthaboutguns.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Table-All.jpg

their comparison showed a only a +7.54% overall recoil reduction different in favor the of M4-72, and I cannot find the pewpewtactical charter at this point, but their #'s were even less. The average recoil distance was definitely noticeably better for the m4-72, with about 3/4" of an inch less.

Thats interesting, and you're sure it was the gamma and not the epilson or other VG6?

https://cdn0.thetruthaboutguns.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Table-All.jpg

their comparison showed a only a +7.54% overall recoil reduction different in favor the of M4-72, and I cannot find the pewpewtactical charter at this point, but their #'s were even less. The average recoil distance was definitely noticeably better for the m4-72, with about 3/4" of an inch less.
Link isn't working, but I do recall reading the article a few years back. Overall recoil reduction is only half of the story though, maybe not even half. Muzzle stability and dot tracking is way more important, and none of those tests ever take it into account.

Link isn't working, but I do recall reading the article a few years back. Overall recoil reduction is only half of the story though, maybe not even half. Muzzle stability and dot tracking is way more important, and none of those tests ever take it into account.
Have you gotten a chance to run the Newer APA Gen3 Bastard Breaks with the adjustable gas ports???

Have you gotten a chance to run the Newer APA Gen3 Bastard Breaks with the adjustable gas ports???
No. At least not in any way you could call a test. A buddy has one and for the couple rounds I put through it it seemed impressive, but that doesn't really mean anything without taking any measurements, and a comparison only works if you use the same rifle for multiple brakes.

I did thread the holes in my Hypertap so I could tune it the same way the Gen3 APA's work. The concept works for sure.