• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing My 2014 Wyoming Mule Deer

avluey

Private
Minuteman
Jul 21, 2014
Kansas
Far and away the best deer of my life at a rough score of 186 3/8. Unreal mass on this guy that the pic really doesn't do justice to.
mulie.jpg

Nice easy shot at 80 yards. Semi-custom Rem700 in 7mag. 160 grain Barnes TSX.

Far and away the best deer of my life at a rough score of 186 3/8. Unreal mass on this guy that the pic really doesn't do justice to.

Nice easy shot at 80 yards. Semi-custom Rem700 in 7mag. 160 grain Barnes TSX.
Are you wearing First Lite Clothing ?

Very nice buck, congrats!

Yes, that's First Lite.

Are you wearing First Lite Clothing ?

Yes Sir. Got the First Lite Llano, Chama, Kanab, and puffy coat. I love the base layers and the puffy coat. I give the kanabs pretty high marks too, but still want to try the Sitka Mountain pant or Kuiu Attack. Wore them for five days straight and they barely stunk at all. Back up for elk season at the end of October so we'll see how they perform in cold weather.

Very nice buck, congrats!

Yes, that's First Lite.

Thanks Engine 22 - I shot at Mill Creek a couple times when I was last stationed here in '11 - great facility. Heard from some friends they've made some changes since then to make it even better. How far can you stretch that GAP out there?

congrats that is a once in a life time mulie it seems! I have been putting in for a unit here in Colorado that takes eight years plus to draw... on year 4.... I am sure that buck will make a nice wall mount!

Yes Sir. Got the First Lite Llano, Chama, Kanab, and puffy coat. I love the base layers and the puffy coat. I give the kanabs pretty high marks too, but still want to try the Sitka Mountain pant or Kuiu Attack. Wore them for five days straight and they barely stunk at all. Back up for elk season at the end of October so we'll see how they perform in cold weather.
I think the base layers of the merino wool are the best I have ever owned. I donated all the polypro stuff I had after wearing their base layers. The funny thing about that puffy coat is I always thought I was going to rip that outer layer but I never have. It is very lightweight for as warm as it makes you feel. I also have the outer shell that tuns the puffy into thermal warmth and waterproof.

Thanks guys - I hated dropping him off at the taxidermist! Here are a few more shots from the hunt:
IMG_1368.jpgIMG_1380.jpgIMG_1448.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1407.jpg
    IMG_1407.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Thanks Engine 22 - I shot at Mill Creek a couple times when I was last stationed here in '11 - great facility. Heard from some friends they've made some changes since then to make it even better. How far can you stretch that GAP out there?

The range has the capability to go to 500yds, but that is only open occasionally and with stipulations. 300yds max normally.
There have been numerous expansions/improvements in the last year.

I would like to go on a mule deer hunt. Do you recommend a guide in Wyoming, draw or something else? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you can afford an outfitter you'll definitely have better chances. But there are huge tracts of publicly accessible land if you're willing to put in the time and effort to DIY. This year was definitely a special year for us with 3 good ones (so far!) for four hunters. A more normal year we get 1 mature buck for a group ranging from 4-7 guys and maybe another 1 or 2 3x3s. An outfitter increases your chances and will also make sure you have all the logistics needed so maybe not a bad way to go for the first time?

IMG_1711.jpg

Keeps flipping the pics around, but this shows my favorite part that never shows up in the other pics, his signature point whale tail.

Last edited:
very nice, i struck out on my CA mulie tag. always nice to see someone else have some good luck

Did you hunt with an outfitter? I have some clients from Texas who want to hunt Wy next year and need to find a good guy, great deer!

Snipe - DIY in western Wyoming. Have guy who usually hunts with our group who started going with an outfitter the last two years. I can check with him to see who he's using if you want.

avluey, that'd be great, I always hunt by myself but need to make sure these two Texas boys have a good chance to bring home some meat,

pm me if you get any info

thanks much, appreciate the help

Ahhhhh...Wyoming! God's country!! My buddy and I have been hunting elk, mulies and antelope in WY for years. We also hunt CO and NM....Wyoming is by far my favorite. That is one heck of a mule deer man, congratulations!