• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing My .308 lit up the whitetail woods this morning!

B Man

Little Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 23, 2010
South side of Big River
I shot this old bruin this morning for a Halloween treat. I've watched this deer for 3 years including this one on camera and he finally slipped up this morning at 9.22am. I started to not even go this morning but boy I was glad I did.

He walked out at 275 yards perfect broadside and gave me a Kodak moment of a shot and with 5" of dope I dropped it right in the pocket at the top of the heart.

My rifle and load:

Remington 5r milspec
Hornady 178 gr AMax at 2610 fps.

These things have been just dangerous in this rifle on game!

IMAG0089.jpg

Re: My .308 lit up the whitetail woods this morning!

Awesome, it always seems to happen on those mornings when you second guess even getting out of bed. Congrats!

Good Job!

Nice 1 ! what scope you running on that rig?

Awesome! Being able to a trophy like this after watching him grow has to be very rewarding!!!!!

Do you have a straight on picture? You can tell he's a brute but it's hard to get a real good idea on size at that angle

In case anyone is wondering about the yellow paper under my shell holder on the stock its my dope cheat sheet. Haha

TDA, yeah your right! That's what makes it so great was watching him over the years and pulling the cameras this year and seeing the growth putting him on the hit list and actually connecting. It is a lot better and gratifying feeling than just any random buck.

Good luck to everyone this season

Coryj, 17" inside and thanks.

Ghogs, This is the first 308 I've ever owned had it a few years now but I worked up the load in it just for paper and after reading all the positive feedback on it I gave it a whirl and its always done a number on game with awesome performance from the 308. Lots of bang flops.

Very nice.

Congrats on a great buck!

Nice! What state? Looks like Dixie to me.

nice i considered trying 155 VLD's or 155 Scenars in my 308 but since most of my shots are 150 or less i opted to drive 130 TTSX's over 3000 fps...if distance was involved i might look elsewhere

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 308winchester</div><div class="ubbcode-body">nice i considered trying 155 VLD's or 155 Scenars in my 308 but since most of my shots are 150 or less i opted to drive 130 TTSX's over 3000 fps...if distance was involved i might look elsewhere </div></div>

I considered 130 ttsx my self driven around 3150-3200 but so I would not have as much drop on some of my spots out to 350-400. This load would have given me 4" less drop at 300 yards with an 1/2" less vertical at 100 yards. Makes it more simple for quick shots down some of my lanes but I've practiced so much with the 178 AMax load I just stuck with it.

You should look at the 110 TTsX

Launched at 3400. Sighted in 2" high at 100 drops less then 4" at 300

Very nice! Good shooting and beautiful buck.