• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes My 7th broken scope.

Bigwheels

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Jun 16, 2007
    Anacortes WA
    I have been working up a new load for my hunting rifle. A Win M70 BOSS in 338 WM. I was having trouble getting the load to shoot groups, & thought it was either me, or the loads. After a long trial I thought I finally had it set, & went to Zero, & verify come ups, & I couldn't put 2 rounds together. I finally, in desperation, pulled the scope, a Lupy Vari-X III 6.5X20, & sure enough there was something rattling inside. Bear season is ON, & my scope breaks!!! This is now the 7th scope this rifle has broken. 2 Simmons, a Tasco, a BSA, 2 Zeiss Conquests, & now a Lupy. Well, I guess I'll see what kind of service I get out of Leupold now.

Re: My 7th broken scope.

Get the Leupy fixed, sell it and buy something that can take the abuse.

I put a Vortex Viper 2-7x32 on my 338WM (Tikka M695 synthetic). I've got 120 rounds through it so far without any issues. You might look into that as an option.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sounds like it's time to step up to the next level of rifle scopes. </div></div>

+100

Buy once, cry once.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sounds like it's time to step up to the next level of rifle scopes. </div></div>

Well put. +1

Why, Im sure the bear won't mind this minor inconveinance at all.

Sounds like you're rough on equipment. I've had a $50 scope on my .22 for 7+ years and it's still working.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dark Horse</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    Why, Im sure the bear won't mind this minor inconveinance at all. </div></div>

I am sure he doesn't. But that don't put bear meat in the freezer.
    wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dark Horse</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    Why, Im sure the bear won't mind this minor inconveinance at all. </div></div>

I am sure he doesn't. But that don't put bear meat in the freezer.
    wink.gif
    </div></div>

No, but it does put warm flesh in the den, just depends on which side of the scope your on.

If you have broken that many scopes, I'd consider looking at other things as well. Specifically, making sure there isn't something askew in regards to your receiver/base, and same for your rings. Finally, are you doing the install? You doing anything strange?

That's a lot of scopes to be breaking, even if they are relatively cheap.

I install everything myself. I've been assembling diesel engines for 22 yrs, & have everything I need to do anything mechanical the right way. I set the scope ring caps even with feeler gauges before final torque, & every scope I've removed from this rifle has only the slightest mark on it from the rings.
    I just did the calculation for recoil on JBM, & it says it's recoiling @ close to 35 ft/lbs. so that may be a factor. I also shoot it a lot. It's my only hunting rifle, unless I want to drag my 18# ELR gun with me in the woods. I will be getting another ring, & base set for it anyway.

I would venture to say that LoneWolf's recommendation would be a good starting point. A NF 3-15x50 will do anything you ask of that rifle under hunting conditions.

Yep, Sightron! Seriously, they seem to outlast most others and have a lifetime(of the scope)replacement warranty in force.
    shocked.gif

I'd love to have a 3.5-15X50 NP-R1 on it. Just don't have the coin. Anyone want a new 6.5-20X50 Vari-X III?

buy something that can take the abuse of 338wm with a brake? i had a 45-70 i loaded with 435gr hard cast bullets at 1900+ fps. it was the most brutal recoil i have ever felt and i have shot lots of big boomers. your rifle would be VERY tame in comparison. i used a 2-7 nikon monarch on that rifle for hundreds of rounds with nary a problem. i have a real hard time accepting your 338wm with a brake is eating up scopes without something else being the issue.

chuck

2 Zeiss and a Leupold?

Are you by chance sighting this in or shooting off of a lead sled type set up?

Just asking.

I've heard stories of this scope called a Super Sniper... It's been said that 50 BMG's have a hard time putting them down.

With all the troubles, it looks like you alread paid for the next level, (Twice) and still don't have!

Have you tried Precision Iron to be sure?

What kind of, we could go on!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you don't have the money for a Nightforce, or USO you need a high end air rifle scope. You think I am kidding? </div></div>

What he said! Look into a Leupy EFR if you gotta have a Leupy.

Yeah. I know that in hindsight I should have saved my money for a few years a long time ago, & got a NF. I did get some of my money back when I sold the last 2 scopes when I got them back from warranty. I have also had a few different ring/base set ups during the last few years too. I can say that I think this scope lasted longer than any other I've had on it so far. Every time It's something on the inside. The last Zeiss was also an erector, just like the one before that. This one is the same. The BSA lasted about 10 rnds before a lens was dangling inside. I thought a $1000.00 Lupold was supposed to handle recoil.
    I'm going to get, yet, another 1 piece base, & some more stout rings this time, & see what happens.

All the scopes you mention "should handle recoil", and they do on thousands of other rifles with as much or more recoil than your braked 338. Something doesnt add up.

Air rifle scopes are not better for this application.They are simply designed for the secondary recoil pulse of a piston air rifle.

Something is not right I have hundreds of rounds through a .375 H&H with a vari x 2 with no issues. A 338 is not that hard of a hitter.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300WSM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">USO! </div></div>

What he said.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dmg308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Air rifle scopes are not better for this application.They are simply designed for the secondary recoil pulse of a piston air rifle.

Something is not right I have hundreds of rounds through a .375 H&H with a vari x 2 with no issues. A 338 is not that hard of a hitter. </div></div>

My 375 H&H has a JP Recoil Reducer on it... and my TRG-42 in 300WM has a Near brake on it... I've shot a good 600 rounds through the 375 and every scope has made it.

The Near brake makes the 300WM shoot like a 223 bolt gun...

Between the two rifles:

Nikkon Tactical 2.5x10x50
    Leupold 2.5x10x50 L/RT M1
    Leupold 8x25x50 L/RT M1
    Nikkon Buckmaster 4x16x44 (Can't remember exactly)
    IOR 6x24x50
    Leupold 4x20something

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bigwheels</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd love to have a 3.5-15X50 NP-R1 on it. Just don't have the coin. Anyone want a new 6.5-20X50 Vari-X III? </div></div>

Maaaaan, how much you spend on 7 scopes already? Just suck it up, stop eating meat, veggies, and every food group except coffee and raman. Just think, in no time at all you will not only lose a bit of weight, but you will be the owner of a USO, NF, S&B or other fine scope that will stand up to the abuse your rifle gives out. Trust me, the money is in your budget, you just have to find out how to do it. RAMAN is GOOOOOOOOOD!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Switchblade</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bigwheels</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd love to have a 3.5-15X50 NP-R1 on it. Just don't have the coin. Anyone want a new 6.5-20X50 Vari-X III? </div></div>

Maaaaan, how much you spend on 7 scopes already? Just suck it up, stop eating meat, veggies, and every food group except coffee and raman. Just think, in no time at all you will not only lose a bit of weight, but you will be the owner of a USO, NF, S&B or other fine scope that will stand up to the abuse your rifle gives out. Trust me, the money is in your budget, you just have to find out how to do it. RAMAN is GOOOOOOOOOD! </div></div>

Already spent on scopes not have!

Sorry. Can't do Ramen. Makes me sick to my stomach just thinking about it after college. Baloney is out too.

It's the BOSS. Getting recoil reversal.
    here is a clamshell. It is a scope killer. Not including Nightforce and USO of course.

Rifle_Scopes_Nightmare.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dmg308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Air rifle scopes are not better for this application.They are simply designed for the secondary recoil pulse of a piston air rifle.

Something is not right I have hundreds of rounds through a .375 H&H with a vari x 2 with no issues. A 338 is not that hard of a hitter.</div></div>

Well, I guess that explains it then. Leupold will get the scope tomorrow, & let me know what they are going to do.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bigwheels</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sorry. Can't do Ramen. Makes me sick to my stomach just thinking about it after college. Baloney is out too. </div></div>

Bah, weakness will NOT be tolerated! Ban yourself for two weeks!
    grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bigwheels</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I install everything myself. I've been assembling diesel engines for 22 yrs, & have everything I need to do anything mechanical the right way. I set the scope ring caps even with feeler gauges before final torque, & every scope I've removed from this rifle has only the slightest mark on it from the rings.
    I just did the calculation for recoil on JBM, & it says it's recoiling @ close to 35 ft/lbs. so that may be a factor. I also shoot it a lot. It's my only hunting rifle, unless I want to drag my 18# ELR gun with me in the woods. I will be getting another ring, & base set for it anyway. </div></div>

Woulda guessed the same thing - step-dad had an issue with some rings he bought, took and got some Leupold rings and problem wentt away.

You're not too far from here...:) (Bremerton)

Ive got a USO for sale or possible trade....
    cool.gif

You might have better luck with different choice in scopes. I would expect the ones you have tried to break sooner than later on a hard kicker.

The Simmons, Tasco and BSA are not worth wasting ammo on...I wouldn't expect them all together to last long enough to get the rifle sighted.

The Leupold is not a particularly tough scope and the larger they are the sooner they break. I can't really see the point of a large, high power variable for that purpose anyway...that is more of a target scope. The Zeiss, while good glass, is not that tough either.

Try a different strategy...the fixed 6x Leupold is a great big game hunting scope. They are small and light and they can tolerate a lot more abuse and are better suited to hard kickers. Small and lighter helps, plus the fixed X has less parts to break. 6x is plenty to 600 yards and can do good work at 1000.

Even a Bushnell 4200 3x9 would serve you better than the ones you have tried. 4200s are pretty recoil tolerant and both of these are less expensive than the decent scopes you have burned through.

TC

I only put the 6.5-20 on because I upgraded my scope on my Comp rifle to a NF. My Zeiss had just broken, & when I got the new one from them I sold it, bought the NF, & put the lupy on my hunting rifle. If they will do it, I want them to give me a new 4.5-14X50 in replacement. I'm going to try & get them to give me a MK4 for it. I bought a $1000.00 scope several years ago. I want a $1000.00 scope in return. If not I'll accept a VX3.

Leupold guys will get it fixed, they have an awesome customer service. It is the best scope for the price.... BUT Then see if you can save some more $$$ and get a USO SN3.
    My 0,002C
    Ed

Well, It's back, & I already have it mounted up, & loading some ammo to zero in tomorrow. They turned it around in 1 day. When I called, I told them that it was going on the same rifle that broke it before, & they said it'll still be under warranty if it breaks again. And if it does, I'll probably be getting a brand new 4.5-14 X 50. I'll try to get a MK4, so I can sell it, & use the funds for a NF. But for now I'll be keeping it, & see what happens.
    Also, for those that say to buy a $1500.00 scope for a $500.00 rifle. I just don't want to have to spend that kind of coin on glass for a rifle that is worth 1/3 the price. It's easier to justify it for a $2000.00 rifle, but for a hunting rifle?
    But all that said. If this one breaks again that's what I'll have to do. I just won't like it!

I have noticed a tendency for folks to want to to over scope their hunting rifles...it is not necessary. Big, high power variables seem to offer the best of all choices but in reality there are a lot of compromises for running with one.

I am a fan of the philosophy of investing in one high quality scope... and with picatinny bases I can put it on any rifle in the safe...I can usually only shoot from one rifle at a time anyway, so the cost is relative. The sight is more important than the launcher. If your scope breaks you are done shooting.

A big glassed Leupold variable will break sooner or later on a hard kicker. They last longer on 308s, but they break often enough on those. Even with a Mk4 you will likely be on a first name basis with their warranty department. They are good about standing behind their product and will certainly fix them, but they do break.

A smaller scope with smaller lenses will stand up to recoil better. Unless you are looking to attempt 900+ yard hunting you would be better served with a smaller hunting scope.

A 6x36 Leupold is $300. Used $200. It's a truly rugged scope and has good eye relief and a good field of view. 6x is plenty of mag for distance work but not too much up close.

A new Bushnell 4200 3x9 is $300. The Bushnell has better glass but the new generation Leupold 6x is very good. If you can find one, a fixed 4x Zeiss is a little heavier but has amazing glass and is tougher than their variables. I have seen those new for $300.

Any of those will stand up to recoil better than any of the other scopes you have tried. Anyway, good luck with your rig.

TC

I would like to have a lower magnification scope on my hunting rifle, but where I hunt I need some extra magnification to count antler points. Where I deer hunt there are 3 pt. restrictions in place, & for elk it's spike bull only. In either area I need to see an 1" point to verify legality before shooting, & especially for the deer, they like to hide them in brush when you are scoping them out. Also a spotting scope is impractical due to the large #'s of orange clad idiots all over. My minimum would be a 2.5-10, & I prefer a 4.5-14. The 6.5-20 was a compromise for what I needed at the time,(a scope in hand that worked), & what I would like to have.

Ahhhh...well that helps to clarify things a little.

Most of my commentary was built around the concept that you were looking for a scope for hunting bear... I got that impression from your initial post.

If you decide to change out that Leupold, take a look at a Vortex Viper 6.5-20 or a Bushnell 4200 6-24 x 50. They are available around the $500 mark and are more rugged but have excellent glass...a step above the Leupold in my opinion.

That would resolve fine detail better. Part of what you need is magnification, but the other part is resolution. There are a lot of good glass choices in the $500-800 area.

Good luck.

TC

I use this rifle for hunting everything that don't fly. Bear season is open, & I need to have my rifle working. I got it back on yesterday, & got it CCB zero'd this eavening. Time to hunt.

Try a Schmidt and Bender PM2 or PM2-2, i severely doubt you will be let down by them, our SF snipers are using them on .308's, .338's, and the .50's.
    Simmons, BSA, well... are good scopes for what they are, but i wouldnt put them on anything other than a .22 magnum!!
    Breaking the Zeiss and Leupold..... im stumped, you must be unlucky or doing somthing wrong!
    Anyway try a Schmidt and Bender PM.