• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

MY AR 15 is a bad choice for my situation right?

ERdept

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 9, 2008
Orange County, Kali.
First, I live in CALIFORNIA. Keep that in mind.

So I bought a CMMG recievered AR with a LWRC upper, in the event of a social melt down here. Which may happen due to riots, which have happend OR a biq quake and we're left w/o power and limitations on food.

I got the AR as just and extra tool to add to the shotty and pistol.

But because I live here and my AR has to have a fixed 10 round magazine, AND I have to "break" open the gun to load the fixed mag from the top, that would make it painfully slow and not very helpful vs a Mini 14.

With the Mini, even being limited to a 10 round magazine, I can at least drop the 10 rounder and slap another 10 rounder in.

So, I need your collective opinions now, I'm having to whittle down my collection and the AR is not as effective or as practically useful as the Mini, Correct?

Re: MY AR 15 is a bad choice for my situation right?

While the Mini is more politically correct there, the AR is a better rifle.

The Bullet Button solves the fixed mag legality requirements and mags can be dropped and reinserted without breaking the upper open. It was engineered to comply with the strict definition of CA laws.

Go to Calguns.net and search around on the site...there is a lot of info there. Read up on the basic info posted there on AW laws to make sure you stay on the good side of the line and don't create any unnecessary drama.

TC

So is my understanding correct in that the bullet button, because it requires a tool,..............

1. Makes it so I can drop 10 round mags?

2. Have all my evil features (collapsable butt stock, pistol grip)?

You might also consider moving...

OK, I'm kidding. Does CA have anything about grandfathered items? What about people that had AR's with drop free mags before that ban came into effect?

I'm sure they're expensive as hell but you might be able to go that route. The AR is a better rifle than the Mini 14, as noted above, but for the application you're talking about a Mini 14 will do the job and give you a fast reload time without a tool. You're not trying to dust a prarie dog at 300y you're trying to dust the 2 legged predator(s) that are coming after you and your family and property during a social meltdown. Max range is probably less than 100 yards.

The mini will still make hits at 400 too.

OK, then I guess I'll try the bullet button and buy a whole lot more 10 round mags.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ERdept</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK, then I guess I'll try the bullet button and buy a whole lot more 10 round mags. </div></div>

Yep, go with the BB. HYPOTHETICALLY speaking, if SHTF, one may not be concerned with attaching a small magnet to the mag release therefore restoring it to a normal functioning mag release and/or using normal capacity mags. That or you could install one of the mag locking devices that allows for easy removal if you travel out of state. Look around Calguns, there are a few options out there.

Either way, breaking open the gun to load is soooo 2006
grin.gif

What ED do you work in? I am a paramedic and it has been busy as hell here in N. Cal.

OR....sell the AR and get an M1 Garad. It's semi-PC and still retains all of the features that made it the best battle rifle of it's time.

A CA-legal AR looses many of the features that make it a superior close combat weapon.

I'm just saying
wink.gif

I installed a bullet button recently, super easy, took like 2 minutes. Pretty handy little thing and the "tool" that's required to drop the mag is the tip of a 223 bullet/round or a ball point pen would work fine.

It actually worked much slicker than I recommended.

Just save your old parts and some 30 round mags too....if the SHTF then I doubt anyone will be writing tickets for the 30 round mags and no bullet button.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RobG</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ERdept</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK, then I guess I'll try the bullet button and buy a whole lot more 10 round mags. </div></div>

Yep, go with the BB. HYPOTHETICALLY speaking, if SHTF, one may not be concerned with attaching a small magnet to the mag release therefore restoring it to a normal functioning mag release and/or using normal capacity mags. That or you could install one of the mag locking devices that allows for easy removal if you travel out of state. Look around Calguns, there are a few options out there.

Either way, breaking open the gun to load is soooo 2006
grin.gif

What ED do you work in? I am a paramedic and it has been busy as hell here in N. Cal. </div></div>

I spent many years at Presbyterian Hospital in Whittier. Now I'm at Glendale.

I think that during a SHTF situation, the concern for my AR to be configured with a bullet button will not really be a top priority.

I think if that situation ever happened, I'd convert it to normal and use whatever it takes to defend my family. When the Rodney King Riots happened, I was a manager of a bike store in Long Beach called Jones Bicycles. After the riots and EVERY bike was stolen, me, the owner and many friends drove to the store and we were all armed.

The police pulled up to check us out and we had shottys and handguns in our waistbands. The guy just said be careful and drove off.

Time and again, in every emergency situation, the law and government will be too overwhelmed for them to help you. So you must help yourself. I lived through it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ERdept</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The police pulled up to check us out and we had shottys and handguns in our waistbands. The guy just said be careful and drove off.

Time and again, in every emergency situation, the law and government will be too overwhelmed for them to help you. So you must help yourself. I lived through it. </div></div>

I use a BB on my AR's and for the kind of shooting I do (coyote hunting) it works fine.
If SHTF then do what it takes to stay safe and protect your loved ones.

As for hoping that the cops,military,etc. won't hassle you....tell that to the folks in Louisiana after Katrina...

Take care,Stan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You might also consider moving...

OK, I'm kidding. Does CA have anything about grandfathered items? What about people that had AR's with drop free mags before that ban came into effect?

I'm sure they're expensive as hell but you might be able to go that route. The AR is a better rifle than the Mini 14, as noted above, but for the application you're talking about a Mini 14 will do the job and give you a fast reload time without a tool. You're not trying to dust a prarie dog at 300y you're trying to dust the 2 legged predator(s) that are coming after you and your family and property during a social meltdown. Max range is probably less than 100 yards.

The mini will still make hits at 400 too. </div></div>

In CA, pre-ban rifles have to be reg'd and aren't transferable in-state. You can't even inherit them.

I've never seen that 'bullet button' thing before as I don't live in KA.

however, after seeing it. Seems if you are a lefty, you could devise something that would wrap around your right thumb that would have a tit on it that would allow you to operate the button.

Seems like a workaround for a dumb ass requirement.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CleverName</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In CA, pre-ban rifles have to be reg'd and aren't transferable in-state. You can't even inherit them. </div></div>

Yea, you can't lend/borrow/lust after a rifle that's not registered to you. I'm pretty sure even firing someone else's registered AR while they stand next to you is illegal (because you're technically borrowing it at that point). I know mag sharing is verboten too. It's all rather strict.

I got my AR in '99 and haven't fired it since. I just registered it and tossed it in the safe in case I wanted one some day. Plus since my name is alphabetically at the top of the list I figure when the state kicks my door in and confiscates my 'legally registered' weapon I'll have enough time to call my friends and let them know what's happening. Pretty noble of me eh?
smile.gif

Get another complete OLL lower and put the "evil" one away and keep it detached from an upper. If SHTF happens, pop 2 pins and swap 'em out...
shocked.gif
grin.gif

Strick - They actually sell those on Calguns. I dunno if it's OK to post the link so I'm erring on the side of caution, but it's pretty easy to find the thread there. Plus the newer generations of bullet buttons allow you to go from CA legal to rest of the country legal with the turn of a screw.

Jayne, Strick

I didn't know that "borrowing" was also verboten but I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

That's mighty noble of you btw.

Dissenting opinion here. I'd suggest mini-14. These are reliable. Not as accurate as an AR but if you're shooting over 100 yards there are other big problems you are dealing with.

My preference would to be to live in Texas and do whatever I want. For those less fortunate, i'd go with the mini 14. Like others have said, its for close quarters and the mini would be just fine. If you need to shoot further you could go with a bolt .308 until they get closer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: konabully</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get another complete OLL lower and put the "evil" one away and keep it detached from an upper. If SHTF happens, pop 2 pins and swap 'em out...
shocked.gif
grin.gif
</div></div>

+1

You know, here is another thought. You and your tax dollars can move out of that freaking Liberal Hell Hold and go to a place where they dont tax the crap out of you and you can have a real gun not some aboration. Just a thought.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RyanScott</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd want an M1 carbine. </div></div>

1+ 8 rounds, or should I say big fucking rounds and reloading is relatively easier.

I would invest in gas and dive the fuck away from CA...get yor shit, and make one trip; problem solved...

The fact that this needs to be discussed is sickening.
If you sell it...they've won, if you permanatly modify...they've won.
What will you (we) say when you (we) are told that the Crucifix or Star of David or any other religious symbol you are wearing is too big? (Or worse that the one you are forced to wear isn't big enough). Or you can't print that? You can't talk about the government that way?

Sorry...rant off!

Deleted serveral things I wanted to say, but shouldn't.

Slight drift here -

What is it like when those in CA go shoot a lawfully owned pre ban(?) with 30 rnd mags at a public range? Do ROs ask to see paper? Does LE get called? What about lawfully owned suppressors? (my understanding is that these are now illegal but they were legal previously and some have papers for them in CA).

Also - those with a bulletbutton - how long does a mag change take?

I've never been asked to produce anything when shooting my AR. Its registered with the state, so I dont worry about it. Same with my 50 bolt gun. 5 more years when I retire I'm outta here tho...Montana looks like a nice free state.

I would go with a mini 14. I do have an AR that I bought in 99 and registered with the state. I have been asked twice at a local gun range about it or if I had my papers? I do not shoot my ar anymore because of that reason. I would go mini 14/ mini 30 or M1A.

"if I had my papers?"

WTF! we live in America, someone needs to clean house in that fucked up place! "Sir, I need to see your papers" California needs to be cleared out. Please all hide members Pack up now and leave that place for the criminals and the people who like San Fran! Dont give them anymore tax dollars. Fall back! Pop Smoke and get the F#$% out now!

It's not going to happen because residents that were born in CA don't know any better.

If you actually talk to "regular" people from California they are sometimes shocked at the freedoms some of us in "free states" still have.

One thing I will say for Indiana, personal liberties are protected almost to a fault.

Hell if them Liberals ever tryed crap like that here in ALaska, we would feed them to the Brown Bears. Gotta admit, would be real fun to watch.

Get the mini 14 as a short term solution. Hang onto the AR and look for work in another state that doesn't have such idiotic gun laws that handcuff law-abiding citizens, SERIOUSLY. Or you could organize a militia of like-minded individuals and forcibly take over the government of the state.

revolting...or maybe thats what yall in california should be doing rather?

IS IT ILLEGAL TO HAVE A PREBAN AR stripped down by seperating upper from lower? because when it comes down to it, we all want to to be lawful citizens, but its not good if your dead lawful citizen because you didnt have the proper tools to defend yourself. i would store a AR in its prefered configuration with detachable mag, locked away out of public sight for that shtf situation. then i would get a politically correct AR for the range for weened plinking. however you should properly train yourself to use either AR.

I would love to move out of this state. I have been trying to beg my wife (CEO) to move but she will not take our son away from his grandparents. I have family in Texas, Min, and Georgia. God I loved Min and Texas, what wonderful gun laws and open country.

You can purchase a "grub screw" for the magazine release button.
It operates the same as a standard mag release, the ONLY difference is that it comes with a very small hole in which you can insert an allen wrench to tighten it down.

thus satisfying the kali legal requirements.

In regards to a SHTF scenario, if you cant do it with the shotty or handgun, there is a good chance you will need a rifle, not a carbine.

If you can afford it, an M1A is still 100% legal in kali, and 10 rounds of .308 can provide a lot of firepower.

Like you. i live in Kali and work in some real shitty parts of LA.

I keep a bugout bag in my work vehicle with food, water, emergency medicl stuff and of course a 12 gauge mossberg with 100 rounds of various buckshot, slugs, whatever.

Chances are if the SHTF ever does, you will be at your worst, not expecting it, this is where the shotgun shines.

Remember, it is 100% legal to carry a long gun in your vehicle 24/7, even within reach.

a loaded longun in kali = a round in the chamber not magazine

This means you can have 7 in the mag, one pump away from boomdown time.

It is illegal to carry any weapon that can be concealed upon the person, ie handgun in your vehicle unless it it locked out of reach with ammo locked seperatly., again this applies to kali.

I would just get a second or third shotty for the vehicle(s), and call it good.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: zink14</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would invest in gas and dive the fuck away from CA...get yor shit, and make one trip; problem solved... </div></div>
When the SHTF you can always come to TEXAS
grin.gif