• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

My "Budget" .223 build finally done

coldboremiracle

Freelance Sharpshooter
Minuteman
  • Jul 7, 2009
    Utah, north
    www.coldboremiracle.com
    Well, I've said it before, I am no gunsmith. So it is no surprise that it took me so long to finish this, and I'm all but burned out and almost no energy to go shoot it. So here it is;
    I wanted to incorporate all of my favorite features from BR and Tactical rifles, so its kind of a hybrid. Blueprinted Remington 700SA with a PTG bolt and straight handle, a 20 inch 1.300 1-7.7 twist Kreiger 12 flute barrel threaded for my can, a Timney trigger, an EGW 20 MOA base,CDI bottom metal with AI poly mags, topped off with the latest Vortex Viper PST 4-16X50 MIL/MIL EBR1.All machine work was done by Jason at Asylum Arms(strictlyRUM)BIG THANKS Jason!! The stock was custom built(in my garage) out of Fiberglass, aluminum, and wood. It has an aluminum bedding channel from tang to the front of the muzzle, and Grovetec detach swivel sling studs. Other than a few little things, and a couple coats of matte clear laquer, she is range ready(fingers crossed).
    I have a sh_tload of build pics, and I will soon put them up so all can see.

DSCF5275.jpg

DSCF5278.jpg

DSCF5280.jpg

Re: My "Budget" .223 build finally done

very Nice.....Jason does great work, and thats one hell of an axle hanging off that action
    laugh.gif

It's obvious that a lot of thought and love went into building that rifle and I think it looks GREAT! A range report, please, when you have a chance to shoot it.

That's a very nice rifle. I think you did an excellent job on putting it together. Can't wait to see how she shoots. I'm sure she'll shoot. Pics when you can.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks guys for the kind words, first, thanks to Deadly for his recomendation of strictlyRUM. and there will be a range report soon.
    here are some of the pics from the project.
    started out with a bare 700 action with a .223 boltface
    DSCF4818.jpg

and a block made from three laminates of 1" walnut, epoxied together, and then cut to a rough shape that I had drawn on a template.
    DSCF4821.jpg

so I started carving out everything, barrel channel, thumbhole ect.
    DSCF4826.jpg

DSCF4827.jpg

DSCF4824.jpg

then I inleted the stock for the bottom metal, first the original remmy BM, just to get it roughed out, because I hadn't recieved the CDI stuff yet.
    DSCF4832.jpg

Boy was I happy when These came, Thanks Jeff!!
    DSCF4939.jpg

Oh, so my neighbor has a little CNC mill in his garage, he says its for recreating, so I put him to work making my bedding channel. I had him save the drawing for future needs.
    DSC02034.jpg

DSC02035.jpg

while I waited for the good folks at Kreiger to flute my barrels, I decided to send my bolt off to have Keith Johns put a good knob on it.
    DSCF4839.jpg

so after I got it carved up pretty good, I started with the all important straight and stiff parts, I bedded the channel into the wood, and attached some screws to help hold and strengthen it.

DSC02030.jpg

DSC02031.jpg

then I could start with fitting the dbm into the stock
    DSC02037.jpg

right about then, I got a box in the mail from Kreiger
    DSCF5068.jpg

DSCF5071.jpg

I didn't mention that there were two did I? yeah, I decided that anything worth making was worth makin two, or at least Id have something to cover up the one I shit on if it turned out bad.

so I finished the channel and the pillars, and got ready to send everything off to Oregon.
    DSCF4924.jpg

DSCF4944.jpg

while I waited for the machining to be done, I worked on the two stocks
    DSCF5015.jpg

and started with the fiberglassing.
    DSC02033.jpg

DSC02032.jpg

I got some more parts in the mail while I waited for jason to finish.
    DSCF5083.jpg

DSCF5086.jpg

Then they showed up, bolts fluted, and some very clean thread protectors installed.
    Picture296.jpg

Picture289.jpg

It was time to start beddin and fittin.
    DSC02038.jpg

they are getting very close now, I installed the Grovtec flush cups, and a nice sling.
    DSC02051.jpg

Did alot more resin,wrappin, and sanding, then textured the stock.
    DSCF5273.jpg

Here is a pic of the bedding job

DSCF5282.jpg

and from there it was some painting, and sanding, and thats how it came to this.
    DSCF5278.jpg

those look great, how much does it weigh? im a big fan of heavy contour barrels, but find myself taking the stock LTR out of the safe before the 17lb custom rifle more and more now.

Wow that is incredible work especially on the stock. Can't wait to see a range report

The cost is still being calculated, there were a couple of price breaks, and lucky buys involved too, so I'll have to figure it out. I'm guessing a ballpark figure would be around 1450 for the gun, 750 for the scope, but that certainly doesn't count for the tons of man hours I have in it.
    Its a heavy little thing, but I'll weigh it today and let you know.I'm guessing its every bit of 17-18lbs without the can.

ColdBore that is one of the coolest home builds I have seen! That stock is awsome, Yotedog is sitting here drooling over it. Bring it to PCPR match this weekend I would like to check it out first hand!!!

Z

Nice build buddy! Obviously alot of hard work went into it. That stock turned out great, hope to see it in action.

WOW! When you said you still had some stock work to do I never drempt
    you were starting with a block of wood. Awesome work. Hope it shoots as good as it looks.

Jason

That is a great looking rifle. I have been toying around with trying to make a stock from scratch. I like how you did yours.

Everytime I see someone doing something like this, I wish I had the time and the skills to do it.

What a fantastic build. I look forward to a range report.

Well, I had a vision when I was at Scheels in Reno last May, my mind went to working and I started building shortly there after. so I guess its been about three months'ish. Its been very tedious to say the least.

Okay, so I had to do some last minute things. Part of my design was to bring the Bi-pod as high as posible to lower my CG, so the rifle would be less likely to tip over and be more stable. so I finished my bipod "stud" and screwed it in to the front end of the stock with some epoxy on it, and did a little revision on the paint. I think it will work nicely. Now i just need to go shoot the damn thing!!
    DSCF5286.jpg

DSCF5287.jpg

DSCF5285.jpg

DSCF5284.jpg

DSCF5290.jpg

DSCF5288.jpg

DSCF5292.jpg

Colboremiracle #2 is coming along nicely, with any luck it'll turn out just as nice
    grin.gif

I love the Wylde chamber - seems to work great on my .223's.

Man, these are weird...

More power to you for the sheer ambition involved in a project like that!

congratulations buddy. when i first walked into your garage and saw that enormous block of wood and heard you babbling about making a stock i thought you had lost your mind. but it sure turned out nice. youre real talented in a mad scientist kind of way. cheers.

Wow. What a unique looking rifle. Thanks for all the pictures as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chubbles</div><div class="ubbcode-body">congratulations buddy. when i first walked into your garage and saw that enormous block of wood and heard you babbling about making a stock i thought you had lost your mind. but it sure turned out nice. youre real talented in a mad scientist kind of way. cheers. </div></div>

I think it was actually shortly thereafter that my mind was lost!

ive got i fresh tank of argon so we can weld those butt plate sections when youre ready.

hey where in oregon did you send of your parts to be machined?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chubbles</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ive got i fresh tank of argon so we can weld those butt plate sections when youre ready. </div></div>

Negative, I reengineered them without welds. BTW chubbles, got a couple boxes of ammo ready to test her tomorrow, as well as the new Ar, you in?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: villhelm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">hey where in oregon did you send of your parts to be machined?
    </div></div>

Asylum arms, his name is Jason, goes by strictlyRUM here on the hide, I recommend him highly
    grin.gif

Beautiful build and great pictures. Very well thought out and I am sure the range report will be as informative. Thanks for sharing.

Thats awesome how you built your own stock. Turned out great! Build looks awesome.

Wow. Just, wow. I can barely draw a straight line with a ruler. Those are just freakin' awesome.

So I made it to the range today, after a long hard day of work in the rain. But the storm broke a couple hours earlier and turned into a nice evening. I did'nt have the time to do all that I wanted to, but I did get a few things done.
    I started with a simple boresight by looking down the barrel and adjusting the scope accordingly, then I fired a shot. it landed a little high and left, using my retical i measured the difference between point of aim and point of impact and corrected. it was a little lower than i wanted it so I brought it up just a tad. for the sighting in i was using a box of winchester cheapies, 55sp's in the gray box(I needed to get rid of em anyway) so after i sighted her in, i shot the rest of them just to see how they did, not very well.I didn't worry about those and moved on to my reloads.
    First up, 60gr Vmax ontop of 23gr of RL-15 (the only powder I tried at this time) with some more progressive loads up to 24. they shot fantastic! the best group measured out of three was .4ish inches. The chrono says they were moving around 2800, so I think there is room for more speed.
    Next up was the 75 Amax ontop of 23grs progressing up to 24 as well.
    They also shot fantastic, the best group out of three of them measured just over .5, all groups were 5 shot groups. I tried em out at 200yds as well, the 75's did well, though one of them flew off to one side a little bit, and I'm pretty sure it was me. but if you left that one out, the other shots would make nice .8 ish group.
    I'll try and get it out again ASAFP, and get some more pics to post.
    DSCF5297.jpg

DSCF5296.jpg

So I got up to the range again today, managed to squeeze out a few good ones,(I was shooting four rifles so the numbers favored me).
    It looks like the load that she likes best, is 24.5gr of Rl-15 under a 75 Amax seated at 2.880 (with the SP comparator). I shot several groups all of which I was happy with, but the best one was this, its only a three shot, but the fives weren't much different;
    DSCF5319.jpg

(BTW the other hole is from an errant .308 SS round I was testing in another area of the target.)
    I think she will do just fine, I put this same load through the chronograph a few days ago and it showed 2830 fps, sounds good to me.

Alderleet, That's up at the Bountiful Lion's Club. It's open to the public as well, hope that helps. ColdBore nice shooting, after seeing the before and afters its no wounder it shoots that well. You still going to Utah State Shoot Sept. 11th?

Z

Confirm, thats the Bountiful Lions Club, or were you asking at what range the groups were fired at? (100)
    Dont think I'm gonna make it Zac, It seems that I am soley responsible for ensuring that six(6)
    grin.gif
    antelope will be shot that weekend by all parties in my hunting group. I wanna go bad though, even if its just to spectate, and prolly see a few asses handed themselves.

Very nice build and superb Craftsmanship on the furniture. Me and wood don't get along. If I could just figure out how to shape 4130 steel into a neat stock, I could tig it all up. ( uh oh, I feel a mad scientist moment coming on).