• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My Day at the Range and a Question About Bullets Destroying Meat

I like the Viet-Fudd.

Just the fact that you know the Starman means you are cool in my book too. Seen them 5 times. My favorite band. In someways I think the lyrics for A Farewell to Kings is about our current political condition. Even 2112 has something where the Priests are telling the people what they can like. Sound familiar?

Just as some hunters can be "Fudds," there are a few military veterans that assume similar positions. And, the gun-grabbers love to parade them around... because the "ex-military" imbues them with "authority on guns." I'm reminded of the Army General who (on TV) was demonstrating "full-semi-auto" by pulling the trigger faster (and not controlling the rifle at all).

Some deep shit in Rush lyrics. :) I saw them perform live only twice. No other band can touch their talent, IMO.

• Love
Reactions: DustBun
I can see/hear the following response to the f'tards the OP dealt with.

OK, so, f'tard, your choice for home defense is grock. You dont think an AR platform is good for that, and i respect your opinion on it.

Some people like Krystal hamburgers, I prefer something higher classed, like "Ruth's Chris".

Some people like blonde women, I like interesting women.... blonde, brunette, black, or red, doesn't matter.

Some people even like ugly attitudinal women like that thing with you dude, I'd think you could do better. But, retards like you have to settle for what you can get.
How much you have to pay that ugly bitch to go with you ?

Right b4 I get thrown off the range.
These bitches...half priced.
DA606907-5293-4379-9C0B-67179357011A.gif

I want wish all a GREAT Veterans Day and THANK all who have served and are serving now, I wish you all the best and appreciate you for helping keep this country the way it is and hope we can keep the dipshits from ruining what we have given to stay free. Have a GREAT VETERANS DAY.
I served in Nam and I'm guessing he had never used a M16 or been even close to them while there. We had problems with them at first and nobody wanted them. They jammed with the slightest dirt, mud or whatever.
I'm not a range person but when we do go to a range I like speaking with people using different weapons as it is informative for me and opens up new avenues I would not normally come in contact with.
While out shooting one day I was using my .17 pistol ad a couple of young kids were there shooting a shotgun and a .45. They asked what I was shooting and I told them and offered the pistol to them if they wanted to try it, One said after shooting it he had to get one of those. I like helping other to think beyond what they have.
Have

Was not designed to do that. No. Was a result of inexperienced people creating something.
Get "The Black Rifle" by Edward Ezell and Blake Stevens. It will answer questions you havent thought to ask yet.

Bought a copy not long after it was published. Went looking for it a while back. Think I loaned it out. Friends, huh?

On Sunday I took my Knights SR-25 to the range to practice. There was an open lane between a guy shooting a 30-30 to the left and a guy wearing a Vietnam Veteran hat and his wife shooting a Glock to the right. As I was taking my rifle out of the case I heard her say “Jesus” in a condescending way but I ignored it. I took my first shot and heard some comment about the noise from Mr. & Mrs. Glock. Lucky for them I use a brass catcher or they would have really been pissed about the flying brass since the Knights has twin ejectors. I fired about 5 more rounds over the next 5 minutes when the range went cold.

At that point, Mr. Glock then asked me why I felt compelled to own an AR-15, in a self-righteous manner. I didn’t even bother trying to explain to him that this was an SR-25, I knew it wouldn’t have mattered. They saw big black scary looking so it had to be an AR-15. I respectfully stated “I just enjoy shooting a semi-automatic platform.” That was it. He stated that too many people have these “assault rifles”. I stated “uh-huh”, thinking to myself, yeah my SR weighs about 18 pounds, it’s a real “assault rifle”. He stated a handgun is better for home defense and if you hunt with an AR-15 you will destroy the meat. I stated “With regards to home defense, what is comfortable for me may not be comfortable for someone else and people should use what is best for them.” “With regards to destroying the meat, it doesn’t matter if the bullet comes out of a semi-automatic or a bolt action, the damage will be the same, it is about the cartridge.” At that point it got stupid. He then stated “No, the AR-15 bullets are more powerful and cause more damage than the civilian bullets.” I then stated “There is no such thing as an AR-15 bullet, there is a .223 Remington and 5.56x45 mm NATO cartridge which are the cartridges used in most AR-15 platforms, the same that are used in bolt action rifles.” He then stated that he had read something somewhere and “I” was misinformed. At that point I just wanted to get away from the situation because I didn’t go to the range for this crap so I stated “Okay, well I want to get back to shooting when the range goes hot so have a good day.” The whole time “she” had this look of disgust towards me on her fat face. They packed up and left. I packed up and left 15 minutes later, disgusted with the ignorance of people and regretting that I allowed others to do this to me.

I had briefly thought about offering them the opportunity to shoot my Knights but this cuck and his cow acted so morally superior that I felt they weren’t worth the cost of the cartridges. The more I think about it, the more pissed I get. I imagine they will take their Glock and put it back in their nightstand and feel safe knowing it is there, regardless of the fact that they have had no significant training nor practiced any situation drills at home. I tend to wonder if he even was a Vietnam veteran. If he was then he forget his oath to “defend the Constitution” or didn’t take it seriously. I did. Sorry and thanks for letting me rant. You hear about these people but you don’t meet them. I was up half the night thinking “I should have said this or that”.

I use my SR as a very expensive paper punch. I have never have been hunting so I am ignorant about the effect of a bullet on meat. I have seen a bunch of ballistic gel tests but do not know if they compare because of the lack of bone. When I was in the Air Force, we were taught that the 5.56 mm bullet was designed to tumble. So the question. In a hunting scenario, is a 5.56 mm bullet more destructive to the meat than say a .308 Winchester? I would think not.

Edit: Added line for paragraphs

I generally discourage using .223 for deer, but for hogs I don't really GAF. Shot placement is the most important component IMO. As long as you've got a good bullet and put it in a good spot, the .223 will take care of most things.

There's certainly a difference in damage done by .223 ballistic tip vs a larger ballistic tip.

I want wish all a GREAT Veterans Day and THANK all who have served and are serving now, I wish you all the best and appreciate you for helping keep this country the way it is and hope we can keep the dipshits from ruining what we have given to stay free. Have a GREAT VETERANS DAY.
I served in Nam and I'm guessing he had never used a M16 or been even close to them while there. We had problems with them at first and nobody wanted them. They jammed with the slightest dirt, mud or whatever.
I'm not a range person but when we do go to a range I like speaking with people using different weapons as it is informative for me and opens up new avenues I would not normally come in contact with.
While out shooting one day I was using my .17 pistol ad a couple of young kids were there shooting a shotgun and a .45. They asked what I was shooting and I told them and offered the pistol to them if they wanted to try it, One said after shooting it he had to get one of those. I like helping other to think beyond what they have.
Have

....thats because your normal...rare breed in society as a whole

Generally when at my local range I am working on load development or other tuning issue and stay focused and not try to interact with other people. At times people come by and ask about my setup. I answer politely then return to what I was doing. On one occasion I was working on my 338LM which is suppressed. A boy 12 years or so was shooting with his father and was watching me shoot with keen interest. I asked his father if it was ok to let the boy shoot it and he said yes. I set him up behind the rifle and told him where to hold. Hit the gong at a 1,000 on his second shot and had the biggest grin on his face when he got up. Made my day.

Have

Roger that about veterans. Thank you for serving in Vietnam. Big-time respect. I served in the Persian Gulf (1).

I also enjoy chatting with other gun enthusiasts at the range and have often let them shoot some of my more unusual guns. I get a kick out of seeing them get a kick out of it.

But, yeah... we occasionally run into the know-it-alls who end up proving they know nothing. I don't let them bother me, and sometimes make it sport to fuck with them. I would have definitely done a mag dump with the couple in the OP. :-D

elmer gets a bad rap poor old fella , only had one chance to get that dared mean wabbit . with his spear and magic helmet and even that is not in his cards its an opera doc

Last time I was at the public range, there was some gung-ho retard trying to teach a new shooter, a kid about 16-17, to shoot...with a frikkin Mosin.
They had their targets set up at 100 yards, and the kid shot and shot, and I listened to the conversation, which mostly the retard trying to correct the kid, because he was not hitting the target. After about 30 rounds, I figured, by the grimaces on his face, the kid was hurting pretty good, I started watching their target through my scope. I asked them which target they were shooting at. Retard said the bottom one. The kid shot again. The bullet hit about 2 feet high. I told him that he wasn't even close. The kid was never going to hit the target. Retard dicked around with it a bit. He said his sights were set as low as they would go. He shot it a couple of times, and was making all kinds of stupid excuses. I asked the kid if he wanted to shoot my rifle, a braked 6.5 Creedmoor, that it would not beat the hell out of him like that Mosin is doing. He said sure. I let him shoot it, and he just smiled. He hit the target about 1" off center. I let him shoot it a couple more times. The kid really liked it. I didn't let retard shoot it. He ended up packing his shit and leaving. Poor kid may never shoot again, because retard ruined his first experience with a POS Mosin and dumbass instructions.

I will not tolerate dumb fucks at the range and it's full of them anymore.

This. I put a berm in my back pasture with 100 yards of lane cuz I got sick of ignoring the idiots. I can't go further on this land but it sure as hell beats the local range, and I can do holster drills and rapid fire and no one gets their panties in a wad.

I like the Viet-Fudd.

Just the fact that you know the Starman means you are cool in my book too. Seen them 5 times. My favorite band. In someways I think the lyrics for A Farewell to Kings is about our current political condition. Even 2112 has something where the Priests are telling the people what they can like. Sound familiar?

Rush was way ahead of its time. They were a product of the cold war, but their songs still have meaning to the current political climate.

There are stupid people everywhere. Its amazing how many there are. They procreate at amazing rates. You did well to try and have a logical conversation with them. Once you realized they were idiots you did right to withdraw from the conversation.

Last edited:
Speaking of mosin's one of the guys I worked with probably had 500 in the basement his alarm went off the polizei showed up did a search went away confused I'm sure he's on some list somewhere. Not my cup of tea.

@Son of Dorn
Not a belief they tumbled. They did tumble and it was documented in government testing, leading to the increased twist rates.

If you had access to old Picitinny Arsenal records, there is a good bit of proof recorded. I read paper copies years ago, and shot with the authors when they were stationed at ft. Benning.

A little more to add, in your thought line. The guys from Picitinny sectioned used barrels. The early m16 barrels that were sending tumbling bullets in the tests had been shot so hard on full auto, the rifling up to the gas port was gone. So subtract the missing rifling, and you didnt have a full turn on the bullet. Definitely a stability killer.

@EddieNFL
I met Ezell through the Picitinny guys. Pic guys were my shooting buds after they were stationed at Benning and no longer working for Pic.
One of the Pic guys worked with AMU to improve the m16 as a service rifle for competition. The results are recorded in AMU service rifle wins. Those guys knew an awful lot, and ezell data mined them for his book.

Was interesting times learning from those guys. They built my first competition AR on the lowest floor in building 4. Which was the U.S. Customs armory. Bert Medina got really high scores in competition with a kreiger 7.7 barrel that went 8800 rounds b4 he pulled it. Sold me on kreiger barrels, never regretted buying them, still my favorite 223 barrel.

I know, this is away from @DustBun 's topic, but just a little bit of nostalgia trivia that was fun to experience.

This. I put a berm in my back pasture with 100 yards of lane cuz I got sick of ignoring the idiots. I can't go further on this land but it sure as hell beats the local range, and I can do holster drills and rapid fire and no one gets their panties in a wad.
I keep telling my wife when I retire I want a piece a land 100 yards wide and 1 mile long.

Speaking of mosin's one of the guys I worked with probably had 500 in the basement his alarm went off the polizei showed up did a search went away confused I'm sure he's on some list somewhere. Not my cup of tea.

500?! He bought those when they were $60 a piece I bet. That's going to be part of his retirement.

I have a Mosin. I like to shoot it every now and then, and would let anybody shoot it that want's to shoot it, but, I would never start a new shooter off with it.

Reactions: Zeroit
Overheard at a range sign on counter yesterday, customer in front of me.

Shop guy says, ‘What targets would you like?’
Customer say, ‘I got a new ruger perssissin rifle, so gimme a good one’

Shop guy says, ‘ Well we have animal targets on the left just in front of you there, or a selection
of different sized square and circular targets on the right.’

Customer says, ‘ I’m stretching out to 50 yards so gimme one o them big pigs, an gimme
some ammo.’
Shop guy says, ‘What brand do you prefer and what caliber and twist is your barrel?’
Customer pauses and says,’ Well it’s a spiral barrel of course!’

At this point I lost my shit laughing and went for a piss.... Later the guy walked past me, turns out
the rpr was a 22lr. The rather large pig target ( 20 x 30 inches ) was peppered in every area.

‘Looks like you got the pig’ I said, ‘but you know you really shouldn’t shoot at real pigs with a 22?’
‘No problem, it’s a persission rifle! ‘ Says the customer..... All you can do is smile sometimes.

I will usually talk to anyone that does not appear to be a crackhead asking me for money.

So I talk to people at the range, I guess I am in the minority :D

It's all good, I know what reality is, and I know what I believe, if someone is going to get all 'I am better than you' on a subject, then I will find a way to exit stage left.

Now I see why no one talks to me at the range :( shot down before I even say anything

I will usually talk to anyone that does not appear to be a crackhead asking me for money.

So I talk to people at the range, I guess I am in the minority :D

It's all good, I know what reality is, and I know what I believe, if someone is going to get all 'I am better than you' on a subject, then I will find a way to exit stage left.

Now I see why no one talks to me at the range :( shot down before I even say anything

It's good to see someone sticking to the Rush theme.

BTW, I talk to people at the range all the time. Sometimes I have to follow them into the bathroom to keep the conversation going.
???

Overheard at a range sign on counter yesterday, customer in front of me.

Shop guy says, ‘What targets would you like?’
Customer say, ‘I got a new ruger perssissin rifle, so gimme a good one’

Shop guy says, ‘ Well we have animal targets on the left just in front of you there, or a selection
of different sized square and circular targets on the right.’

Customer says, ‘ I’m stretching out to 50 yards so gimme one o them big pigs, an gimme
some ammo.’
Shop guy says, ‘What brand do you prefer and what caliber and twist is your barrel?’
Customer pauses and says,’ Well it’s a spiral barrel of course!’

At this point I lost my shit laughing and went for a piss.... Later the guy walked past me, turns out
the rpr was a 22lr. The rather large pig target ( 20 x 30 inches ) was peppered in every area.

‘Looks like you got the pig’ I said, ‘but you know you really shouldn’t shoot at real pigs with a 22?’
‘No problem, it’s a persission rifle! ‘ Says the customer..... All you can do is smile sometimes.
My humble ballistic opinion is the coriolis effect played a big part in his attempt at whacking the pig target. You should have splained that to him. Along with spin drift and there is the dreadful wind thing. You might still be there? What was the range again.

• Haha
I am one that is stumped for an answer when someone says "hello". :D I always think of the right response 15 minutes AFTER the moment is past.

it's pretty common. there's even a term for it.

You just spotted the species 2ABut FUDD.
They generally don't like any guns they don't personally have a need for. Like any other FUDD, they think if we would all self regulate, by only using what is in fashion, the anti gun crowd will just leave us alone.
All FUDDs have a desire to play possum, and beat on the other monkeys for stepping outside the invisible boundaries.

@Son of Dorn

A little more to add, in your thought line. The guys from Picitinny sectioned used barrels. The early m16 barrels that were sending tumbling bullets in the tests had been shot so hard on full auto, the rifling up to the gas port was gone. So subtract the missing rifling, and you didnt have a full turn on the bullet. Definitely a stability killer.

@EddieNFL
I met Ezell through the Picitinny guys. Pic guys were my shooting buds after they were stationed at Benning and no longer working for Pic.
One of the Pic guys worked with AMU to improve the m16 as a service rifle for competition. The results are recorded in AMU service rifle wins. Those guys knew an awful lot, and ezell data mined them for his book.

Was interesting times learning from those guys. They built my first competition AR on the lowest floor in building 4. Which was the U.S. Customs armory. Bert Medina got really high scores in competition with a kreiger 7.7 barrel that went 8800 rounds b4 he pulled it. Sold me on kreiger barrels, never regretted buying them, still my favorite 223 barrel.

I know, this is away from @DustBun 's topic, but just a little bit of nostalgia trivia that was fun to experience.

A former AF team captain got me into HP. He was buds with some of the AMU guys and a heck of a rifleman. He built my first service rifle and first LR bolt gun. Both were far more accurate than I. He set this record just before he retired. Aug 04 - Set NRA Sevice Record for High Power Rifle Palma Course, Long range Target, Metallic Sights - 449-20x. The target hangs in our clubhouse. If I remember correctly, he borrowed the rifle, laid down and shot.

I didn’t read this whole thread, but I have a differing opinion than most. Obviously, these people are idiots, but I feel a moral obligation to defend my rights and educate people when needed. I don’t give a shit if they believe me or not, it’s my duty to correct them. This is precisely why their movement grows, imo to some extent. People are afraid of what they don’t know, plain and simple. It’s been that way since the beginning of time. Proper education will eventually help people get over that fear. I would have totally offered to let them shoot. At some point they will run into someone else knowledgeable who will tell them the same thing you would have and at some point, it may click. Never give up an opportunity, no matter how asinine it is. I also would have told him and her point blank how fucking stupid they are. Ask them if they’ve ever been in combat, have any real proof of what this bullet does and so forth, because I do. Got to at minimum get them to acknowledge how stupid they are. Lots of people will back down pretty quick.

When I do talk to folks I normally am really polite and oblige their opinion even if it offends me. As long as they're not offended that I don't especially give a fuck what they think we get along just fine. I don't think most folks really deserve to be set straight about self defense topics. Sometimes letting them maintain their ignorance is the best revenge for having to endure their idiocy.

• Love
I won't mention how many times I had the honor of watching the three travelers, men of Willowdale, play. :). No, that's not why i'm mostly deaf (that'd be 4 KHz...duck hunting), but sadly I cannot hear a lot of Neil's cymbals and hi-hat work.

• Haha
Reactions: Darayavaus
You just spotted the species 2ABut FUDD.
They generally don't like any guns they don't personally have a need for. Like any other FUDD, they think if we would all self regulate, by only using what is in fashion, the anti gun crowd will just leave us alone.
All FUDDs have a desire to play possum, and beat on the other monkeys for stepping outside the invisible boundaries.
I like it. And they stand there with a 17 round "clip" in their Glock bitching about high capacity magazines.

Reactions: armorpl8chikn
I didn’t read this whole thread, but I have a differing opinion than most. Obviously, these people are idiots, but I feel a moral obligation to defend my rights and educate people when needed. I don’t give a shit if they believe me or not, it’s my duty to correct them. This is precisely why their movement grows, imo to some extent. People are afraid of what they don’t know, plain and simple. It’s been that way since the beginning of time. Proper education will eventually help people get over that fear. I would have totally offered to let them shoot. At some point they will run into someone else knowledgeable who will tell them the same thing you would have and at some point, it may click. Never give up an opportunity, no matter how asinine it is. I also would have told him and her point blank how fucking stupid they are. Ask them if they’ve ever been in combat, have any real proof of what this bullet does and so forth, because I do. Got to at minimum get them to acknowledge how stupid they are. Lots of people will back down pretty quick.
I do understand and agree with you. In hindsight I think I could have been more open. I do try to educate people. I have taken a few "kids" from work shooting for their first time, even two anti-gunners. With my limited knowledge I educated them and all but one of the anti-gunners are willing to go shooting again. It was just the look on that cows face. It disgusted me and I just knew it would be like talking to a..., well a cow. Maybe worse.

@SilentStalkr
You are young, you have that luxury.
I'm old and my time is too short and precious to suffer fools.

I used to try and help people, but now I just say fuckem.
Now....if they want to pay me...my price for suffering fools right now is a bit over $30 per hour. I do threaten to retire every week though. I just don't like being a whore no more.

@SilentStalkr

Now....if they want to pay me...my price for suffering fools right now is a bit over $30 per hour. I do threaten to retire every week though. I just don't like being a whore no more.

I've seen pics of you.
Have you considered "Escort" work?

That leaves the whoring out decision up to you at all times.

Make sure you have that hat tan line, cause tan lines are sexy as hell. ??

On a more serious note. I don't think I've ever gone to the range and not had someone talk to me.

Rebecca says I have "Tell me your life story" printed on my forehead.
I've met some really nice people, some fudds and some that are just looking for solid answers.

I'll accommodate up to a point. After that I'll usually just put my ear defenders on and tell them I need to finish up for the day.

@SilentStalkr

Meh, I sure as hell feel old. Got a lot of miles on this one in a short time span. So, I get it. And there are times where I just want to punch people in the face and move on. Lol. Really depends on my mood I guess. And my date for dealing with stupidity is dependent upon how stupid they are. If they are really stupid, the price goes way way up, unless it’s just a ditzy super hot chick. However, I dated one of those super fine ditzy hot chicks once and that was enough for me. One of the finest women I’ve ever seen but she was dumber than a rock. Last all of maybe a month because I just couldn’t even talk to her. Damn she was fine tho. Anyways, never again.

Reactions: Cheyenne Bodie
Oh and let me offer you guys some more advice, most people can get a feel of how people are. OP, if they are gun friendly and you feel you got a good read on them then stand down. If they aren’t gun friendly and you don’t get a good feeling/read on them then never turn your back on them, to finish shooting or otherwise. I’ve met some bat shit crazy people at the range before and you just never know, safety reasons or otherwise.

Oh and let me offer you guys some more advice, most people can get a feel of how people are. OP, if they are gun friendly and you feel you got a good read on them then stand down. If they aren’t gun friendly and you don’t get a good feeling/read on them then never turn your back on them, to finish shooting or otherwise. I’ve met some bat shit crazy people at the range before and you just never know, safety reasons or otherwise.
Agreed. That is one reason I don't get confrontational with people at the range. That said, I don't like to get confrontational with anyone unless needed and that is rare. It depends on my mood and how strongly I feel about something.

On Sunday I took my Knights SR-25 to the range to practice. There was an open lane between a guy shooting a 30-30 to the left and a guy wearing a Vietnam Veteran hat and his wife shooting a Glock to the right.
There is a huge disinformation campaign out there against these type of rifles and not enough coming from the other side. If it were me I would be prepared to answer such questions and even give demonstrations if necessary, be prepared to show scientific reports, etc in a calm and logical way. A lot of people don’t want to engage morons but you have to understand they have been deliberately misinformed and are the victims of brainwashing. I don’t think ignoring them is the answer. I engage people like that online all the time and have never lost an argument.

There is a huge disinformation campaign out there against these type of rifles and not enough coming from the other side. If it were me I would be prepared to answer such questions and even give demonstrations if necessary, be prepared to show scientific reports, etc in a calm and logical way. A lot of people don’t want to engage morons but you have to understand they have been deliberately misinformed and are the victims of brainwashing. I don’t think ignoring them is the answer. I engage people like that online all the time and have never lost an argument.
Holy fuck, even spam bots are pompous KAC fanboys. Never lost an argument on the internet? What a fucking laugh…

Fuck off.

I should pull a few different cartridges together, put them in one of those “ammo wallets” and toss it into my range bag. Maybe a 30-06, 308 win, 30-30, 270win (redundant with 30-06), perhaps a 45 cal muzzle loader projectile, and 223 rem. When this stupid comes up, pull out the wallet for some show and tell.

Holy fuck, even spam bots are pompous KAC fanboys. Never lost an argument on the internet? What a fucking laugh…

Fuck off.
This one got me. The user name looks like another user. I need to be more careful. Talking to yourself used to get you thrown in a padded room…

• Haha
Reactions: Redmanss
I think the crap about tumbling bullet had to do with when the AR had a real slow twist barrel....maybe 1/14.

The rounds were as stable as they needed to be and no more. Once they hit an object they went unstable and tumbled.

Most ARs now have fast twist and shoot heavier bullets that spiral real nice and stay that way.

Sorry your range day was ruined.

I would have loved the challenge of those two.

Generally at the range I dont like talking to anyone. My time there is limited and I need to get the work in I came to do. The conversations I hate generally start " Is that a (insert rifle type here) you are shooting? Let me show you my (insert Rooney Rifle here) that shoots 1/4 MOA groups".

I use patience and let them express their pride in their Rooney gun while I hope the conversation ends quickly but......

If I can teach or crush a retard I like the challenge.
You have more patience than I. A gun range is a poor place to go woke.