• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

my first custom mosin/nagant -

Re: my first custom mosin/nagant -

Guys, I just want to say all those Mosins look great. As has been said, it's nice to see some people actually having fun with a $100 rifle. I started getting into Mosins years back and all my friends asked why? After shooting it, seeing the decent accuracy and price of ammo they are sold on them now.

Again, awesome work guys, you have all given me ideas for a future fun plinker build.

Do a search here on the machine gun barrels, recently discussed.

How difficult is it to get that filler piece (bridge) over the receiver precisely leveled to the receiver?

It dont have to be exact, I welded on thick pipe, then jb welded the mount on aligining it with a scope I mechanically centered and a laser bore sighter, i used 2 piece mounts on the m44 and a 1 piece remigton 700 long action mount on the other, which was far easier than the 2 piece, then drilled and tapped.

Thanks...
A bit OT, but as a boater I couldn't help but notice your screen name...

Must be fun fueling that sucker up these days, huh?

204 gallons and has to burn premium........there's a reason I'm modifying $100 guns......lol

Ahhh...

That boat SO MUCH reminds me of the Miami Vice days, a real classic...

Most fun you can have, at a gallon a minute, right?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 38scarabkv</div><div class="ubbcode-body">204 gallons and has to burn premium........there's a reason I'm modifying $100 guns......lol </div></div>

I guarantee they're worth more than 100bucks now mate, top work.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TxPride</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: S1erra1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Outstanding mate, I absolutely love that thing, there is nothing wrong with breathing a bit of life back into the old clunkers.

You're never too old for TACTICOOL
cool.gif

Oh and I was happily surprised not to find my old girl on the Twilight zone
P1030747.jpg
</div></div>

Little more info on this setup too, please... </div></div>

Can't take too much credit, It's a stock from CBRPS.com

Had it painted then I modified the bolt handle and machined up the brake.

pic of the other side

P1030750.jpg

I love all of the mosin's so far. I wish I had that kind of budget for my project, my 91/30 has had a little work done but nothing like this i'v glass bedded the action and hand lapped the bore to try and even it out a little there were some pretty nasty machining marks, i have a scout scope mounted to the rear sight base dovetail using 22 scope rings but i'm debating on the timney its the end all answer to the trigger issue but with a wife and kid the hobby is a back burner, and i'm not sure about inletting my stock that much to clear the safety but until i read threw all of this i'v been keeping mine mild... i really shouldn't have looked at this thread

Heya kortik, fancy seeing you around here, he he he he he.

Do you have a lil' machine shop setup for all your work ?. It sure is alot of nice work

Updated version of my 91/30. The possibilities are endless when you start out with a $100 gun haha. Good way to teach yourself some garage gunsmithing. This one shoots 1 MOA with surplus ammo. We'll see how it does with handloads.

100_1901.jpg

Mosin2.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AMG50</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This rifle probably isn't for the mosin purist, but it started life as a refurbished 91/30 with an excellent bore, just a little rough everywhere else.

I started by machining a new aluminum chassis/stock on the mill,epoxy bedded reciever and free-floated barrel. Welded new bolt handle to clear scope mount, threaded end of barrel to 1/2-28 and recrowned. I cut a custom vias- type muzzle brake on the lathe. Added a bushnell elite 3200 scope that i got on sale for dirt cheap. The total cost of this build was about 250.00 including the rifle and scope.
With handloads my best 5 shot groups at 100 are .8 moa center to center and an average of .9moa. Not too bad for a 70yr old battle rifle
grin.gif

favorite load - 174smk, prvi brass
44grains varget
fed 210m primer.
--the camo job is a krylon special--
shooting-nagant004.jpg

shooting-nagant005.jpg

shooting-nagant006.jpg

shooting-nagant007.jpg
</div></div>

I am impressed, you've got alot of nice work done here. I was wondering about the krylon spray job though. How did you go about getting it to turn out like this ?. It looks like something from realtree. Or was it a can o' paint in each hand, & you started sprayin' ???.

It's a Boyds stock, takes a little bit of work to make it perfect but its a very nice wood stock. I have everything from rocksolid industries on this rifle and the action is glass bedded with acraglass which you can buy from Boyds when ordering stock from them.

After media blasting the entire setup, i sprayed the whole rifle with an OD green base coat. Then i used actual grass from around the pond behind my house
smile.gif
I just held it up to the green and sprayed over it with kakhi tan. I was gonna put on a third color like black or dark brown but decided to leave well enough alone. I put three coats of satin clear over it and called it a day.

Nice setup! I don't know how to post a picture or else I would post mine.