• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes my first post and question

Brada2

Private
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2011
coos bay, oregon
i've been lurking around this forum for some time and i must say that ive learned alot in the last 3 weeks. so, thank you to everybody who has participated here. now to my question, i bought a remington 700 SPS tactical in .308(pick it up monday 4-24)<yeaaa> and i was planning on putting a leupold mark 4 3.5-10x40mm LR/T M2 Illum. Reticle on it but i'm still waiting on some funds. will a mark AR 1.5-4X20 take the recoil of the .308? i know this is a "noob" question but i just dont want to damage the glass for my AR.

Re: my first post

Welcome to SH!
Good luck with the new rifle.
There are Midway discount codes in the equipment area here. It isn't a lot but every little bit helps. Also, you can shop the sample list on SWFA for a deal as well as the Optics For Sale section here.
As for using the Mark AR scope on the 308 I would say give Leupold a call or email to see if they approve.

Just a thought of my own, any scope that wont hold up to .308 recoil hasn't got any business in my collection. Unless its made for air rifles, I cant imagine why a scope wouldn't survive that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coldboremiracle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just a thought of my own, any scope that wont hold up to .308 recoil hasn't got any business in my collection. Unless its made for air rifles, I cant imagine why a scope wouldn't survive that. </div></div>

Very well stated.
Unless it states not to mount it on your warranty I would not worry about it. If it fails send it to Leupold. They are pretty good about replacing faulty gear. Welcome aboard.

Re: my first post and question

The Mark AR will hold up fine on a .308 rifle. You can even order the correct BDC knob from Leupold.

The Mark 4 3.5-10x40mm LR/T M2 IR you mention is a very nice scope. I have that exact model on my MIA (TMR reticle).

One thing you may wish to consider if you plan to do a lot of target shooting vs. tactical shooting is that the M2 has .5 MOA adjustment clicks vs. .25 MOA with the M1.

The reason this scope is on my M1A is because the M1A is a 1 MOA rifle with match ammo, and a 1.5 MOA rifle (at best) shooting military ball ammo. The .5 MOA clicks don't seem to matter that much with this degree of accuracy, but they can be kind of irritating on a sub-MOA gun if you're trying to put shots right in the middle of your target.

Re: my first post and question

The Mark AR are really nice scopes for the price and they will take the recoil no problem. I feel you could put one and a 300win and be fine. I have one on DPMS LR308 and it has not had any issues.

If we can be of help in getting you a scope such as a Leupold feel free to ask. We are a Leupold LE / MIL dealer.

Mike @ CST

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coldboremiracle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just a thought of my own, any scope that wont hold up to .308 recoil hasn't got any business in my collection. Unless its made for air rifles, I cant imagine why a scope wouldn't survive that. </div></div>

^This

.308 isn't too hard on scopes..