• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My first true precision build

glock63

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Sep 5, 2008
Aberdeen, South Dakota
I have been a member here for a while, but only recently put together my first true precision rifle. It started life as an SPS tactical, and I could never shoot it well. Its now a tackdriver. It now has a fluted bartlein gain twist 30 cal barrel finished at 22in and threaded for my AAC cyclone suppressor. A leupold MK4 4.5-14x40 scope sits in seekins rings and on his one piece sloped base. AICS bottom metal and detachable mags deliver the ammunition, and its all bedded nicely into a McMillan A3-5 sniper fill stock and coated in OD green and black cerakote. The bolt was sleeved and fluted as well, and the stock xmark trigger was tuned to 2 lbs. Thanks to Karl Feldkamp of Kampfeld Custom for an incredible rifle.
DSC00572.jpg

DSC00574.jpg

I fired it for the first time yesterday and was able to print two pretty respectable 5 shot groups at 200 yards. The lower measures 1.2 inches center to center and the upper measures 1.05. This was using FGMM 168 ammunition with a 12mph crosswind gusting right to left. All in all, I couldn't be happier and I can't wait to see what this thing can do at 500 plus.
DSC00573.jpg

Re: My first true precision build

Sweet. Karl sets up an awesome rifle. How long was the wait?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sweet. Karl sets up an awesome rifle. How long was the wait? </div></div>

Karl had my rifle for 6 months. There were several other rifles in front of me when I sent it to him.

Really nice! I love the color combo, I swear you guys will make me a fan of OD green before too long.

IMO 6 months for a build is next to nothing!

Nice looking rifle. I agree with the comment that 6 months isn't a very long wait for quality work.

Like they say:

1. You can have it fast
2. You can have high quality.
3. You can have it cheap.

Pick any two.

I backed up to 300 yards today. I only had 10 rounds to play with but kept both 5 shot groups sub MOA. 2.75 inches and 2.8 inches. Wind today was a little tougher at 15 mph and gusting from left to right and it showed in my horizontal dispersion. Also played around with some southwest ammunition 190grn subsonic loads at 50 yards. They all stayed subsonic and were very accurate for the most part but about one in every 5 shot group would be a flier. It would open up what should have been a one hole group to a one inch group.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: B4forever</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very nice! May I ask what the gunsmithing cost? </div></div>

I lost my invoice, but the labor total was pretty close to $1800 IIRC

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Punisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">those groups should tighten up when it`s "broken in", nice stick for sure! </div></div>

Thanks! I consider myself a slightly better than average shot, but nowhere near as good as most here. This thing is just easy to shoot well. I couldn't be happier with Karl's work.

Nice rig. Would love to see the range report out past 500 yards when you get it.

Sweet rifle bro, I really like that color scheme. Have fun dialing her in further, I am sure she can shoot!!

looks sweet, can't wait to see some groups when you get a cpl hundred down the tube. Love the paint scheme.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rmitch223</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very nice build!! </div></div>