• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My latest package from Midway

acourvil

Chief
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 28, 2013
San Jose, CA
Just dropped off today, bullets spilling out. sigh . . . .

E9682722-1477-4203-B701-89AAE9E261E9.jpeg

USPS didn’t pack it. Both companies suck ass.

Looks like two pieces of tape by Mr. Potterfield.

When I ship a box those two pieces of tape are the very first, just like Mr Potterfield.

And than I go crazy with longitudinal and latitididinal lines.

There are absolutely no open box seams.

Tape is used to support tape.

Granted I only send one box in a blue moon and I guess I can afford a roll of tape per package but for fucks sake......

I keep telling everyone not to use usps. This was my last one from good old usps. The item fell out without opening the box it was so destroyed.

Attachments

• IMG_20210501_1704444.jpg
    IMG_20210501_1704444.jpg
    631.3 KB · Views: 103
Unacceptable packaging doubled down by piss poor handling. Only thing that would have been better is if you only got a plastic bag with a note saying “sorry, your package was damaged in transit and the contents lost.”

The bullets were in a small lightweight cardboard box inside a bigger USPS box with very little packing. I blame this one on Midway. USPS bounced it around a bit, but it was poorly packed. I got some primers fromMidway a couple weeks ago that was packed well enough to survive being run over by a truck; this was at the other end of the spectrum.

Im in the, package it as secure as possible so that it can be handled like shit and survive the trip, camp..

Ask the dude I sold a beam scale to on here... ill be he was unpacking it for 5 minutes straight.:LOL:

Last edited:
Unacceptable packaging doubled down by piss poor handling. Only thing that would have been better is if you only got a plastic bag with a note saying “sorry, your package was damaged in transit and the contents lost.”

I happen to have just gone outside when the postal lady pulled up. She carried it up to me as we met in the front yard. She set it down and said "you can come to the office on Monday morning " before I could even say anything. The packing inside that box was very good and bubble wrapped and taped up very well, with a good 4-5 wraps of bubble wrap.

However, it was a scope, so I sent it off to eotech for them to look it over. Haven't heard back from them yet, but the initial warranty request thing was handled super well so far.

Reactions: 338dude
I recently ordered a box of the solid brass 12 guage shells from midway, they were just thrown in a box about that size, loose and rattling around. Not even a peice of tape to hole the shells box closed. I wrote them an email but since i got lucky and they wernt all bent up i just kept em, i didnt get a response back though which kinda pissed me off.

Reactions: Foul Mike
Im in the package it as secure as possible so that it can be handled like shit and survive the trip camp..

Ask the dude I sold a beam scale to on here... ill be he was unpacking it for 5 minutes straight.:LOL:

That's what I do too, but if something heavy is set on top of it (which is what I think happened to mine) then it's hard to pack so that it can withstand that. Don't know how else all 4 corners of a box gets completely blown out.

I almost hate to have bullets shipped. USPS seems to be the worst - see below - but the two big private carriers can be just as bad. My wife watched a [deleted] driver literally drop a case of CCI SV .22 onto our brick front stoop and the case burst open. When my two cases of Lapua-tested Center-X arrived, I was out at the truck with a dolly before the guy was hardly out of his seat.
IMG_2724.jpeg

IMG_2725 2.jpeg

When I ship a box those two pieces of tape are the very first, just like Mr Potterfield.

Granted I only send one box in a blue moon and I guess I can afford a roll of tape per package but for fucks sake......
I do the same AND use banding tape. THAT shit doesn’t tear.

Thank goodness we don’t have a bunch of middle class, white, church going, conservative, veterans dominating the ranks of the Post Office anymore.

Reactions: BradP
Everybody demands "free shipping".
Nobody wants to actually pay for solid secure packaging and good shipping.
Nobody seems able to pay enough to have people with the correct level of intelligence or experience for packing stuff.

Heavy objects loose inside flimsy packaging...

But in the end, everybody will bitch but still prefer the cheapest / freest crap packaging and shipping and just either deal with it or demand somebody send them more, because when it comes down to it, most folks just care about cheap.

If you u do not want to use USPS make sure to stay away from UPS post. That is when UPS passes the package off to USPS for the last leg of the delivery. It is not uncommon for cheap UPS delivery to be UPS post.

I recently made 2 different purchases from Mile High. .338 bullets. Those packages arrived in very good shape. Packed right in Colorado and handled well by UPS.

Everybody demands "free shipping".
Nobody wants to actually pay for solid secure packaging and good shipping.
Nobody seems able to pay enough to have people with the correct level of intelligence or experience for packing stuff.

Heavy objects loose inside flimsy packaging...

But in the end, everybody will bitch but still prefer the cheapest / freest crap packaging and shipping and just either deal with it or demand somebody send them more, because when it comes down to it, most folks just care about cheap.

I hear ya, but the USPS should be able to get a package from point A to point B without destroying it.

Im in the package it as secure as possible so that it can be handled like shit and survive the trip camp..

I bought three 500 rd boxes of 175 SMKs off a hide member. Typical good deal...I paid quick, he shipped quick.

The box sat unopened in my basement for about a year.

When I opened the USPS box I saw the most beautiful packing job.

He had built walls around each box with a dense foam. The result was like he had poured liquid foam over, under and around the boxes of SMKs.

It was awesome.

I hear ya, but the USPS should be able to get a package from point A to point B without destroying it.

For the price they charge, they don't care.
Generally as long as they get it there, it's usually on the shipper any issues with it getting destroyed.
They have no incentive to not do the bare minimum effort.

Both the packer and shipper are to blame.

Last week Brown-hells sent me a case of primers without any packaging they just stuck the label on the
Case of cci primers.

EDIT: Here is a pic and yes the box was damaged.

20210510_182539.jpg

Last edited:
Reoccurring nightmare with Midway. For my customers, I pack as if it is going out a 2nd story window onto concrete. Packing material FIRST then product, then more packing material. If it can pass the window test, it is ready for shipment. All last year and during sales I offer free shipping. It does not change my packing. Tape is cheap and all zebra labels get address and tracking clear taped over.

I also don’t do the “optional” insurance thing.🙄 The product is MY responsibility until the customer receives it. I either insure or self insure EVERY package. Because of my “best practices”, I have replaced a couple of lost small packages but have not filed a claim in 5 years.

Same here. When I ship something, I try to make the package damn near airtight and waterproof

Reactions: Holliday
Both the packer and shipper are to blame.

Last week Brown-hells sent me a case of primers without any packaging they just stuck the label on the
Case of cci primers.
I complained and complained to Midway to no avail. When I switched to Brownells I had the same issue BUT when I complained, they listened and noted my account. No more problems.

I am now a Brownells “Edge” customer with free two day shipping. During the whole CvD19 debacle they have never missed a 2 day deadline......

I almost hate to have bullets shipped. USPS seems to be the worst - see below - but the two big private carriers can be just as bad. My wife watched a [deleted] driver literally drop a case of CCI SV .22 onto our brick front stoop and the case burst open. When my two cases of Lapua-tested Center-X arrived, I was out at the truck with a dolly before the guy was hardly out of his seat.
View attachment 7621096
View attachment 7621097
USPS is also making their “free” boxes more flimsy over time. The last shipment of boxes I recieved from them it was really noticeable. Heavy boxes get scrap cardboard linings and lots of tape including around the “belly”.

The foam wall thing should be a standard practice when shipping heavy items. I got some heavy stuff recently from a retailer up north and he built up the box using foam. That’s a good way of thanking customers for their business.

I also don’t do the “optional” insurance thing.🙄 The product is MY responsibility until the customer receives it. I either insure or self insure EVERY package. Because of my “best practices”, I have replaced a couple of lost small packages but have not filed a claim in 5 years.

If you ship a lot, you'll come out way ahead just setting aside the money you would pay for the "insurance" premium towards any losses.
Especially since getting any payout from the carrier "insurance" is a crap shoot at best.

We usually just insure enough to get the included signature required service and then save full insurance for stuff that's really expensive, to where a loss would be a big chunk and we'd find it worth the time to spend a couple days worth of work fighting over getting a payout.

I recently made 2 different purchases from Mile High. .338 bullets. Those packages arrived in very good shape. Packed right in Colorado and handled well by UPS.
I was just thinking, i ordered 200 rds of 300 gr a tips, 200 rds of 225 gr sst, 200 rds 270 noslers 300 rds of 125 sst .270 from midsouth shooters and it arrived perfectly packed, with separating paper in between the boxes.... i dont have a problem with midway... but i may not order any bullets or brass from em for awhile.

I also don’t do the “optional” insurance thing.🙄 The product is MY responsibility until the customer receives it. I either insure or self insure EVERY package. Because of my “best practices”, I have replaced a couple of lost small packages but have not filed a claim in 5 years
I've thought about this when some PX sales say "insurance is on you if you want it". I've always felt its on me as a seller to be responsible for a package until the buyer receives it. Therefore insuring its safe delivery should be on the seller.

The bullets were in a small lightweight cardboard box inside a bigger USPS box with very little packing. I blame this one on Midway. USPS bounced it around a bit, but it was poorly packed. I got some primers fromMidway a couple weeks ago that was packed well enough to survive being run over by a truck; this was at the other end of the spectrum.
Da fuq u say..... are these still available?
Also now I know where they get there blemished bullets.......customer returns.....

I've thought about this when some PX sales say "insurance is on you if you want it". I've always felt its on me as a seller to be responsible for a package until the buyer receives it. Therefore insuring its safe delivery should be on the seller.

My suggestion to sellers in the PX is to always ship insured and include that in your shipping or item cost.
Pass the cost on to the buyer one way or another and don't accept any other arrangements.

When people ask us to ship on their account, we insist it is sent fully insured with the carrier no matter what, including any B.S. claims of own insurance or 3rd party insurance. We have never, ever had anyone that claimed that, get a package lost or damaged and not try to screw us over to pay for it, some even getting very creative about lying and falsifying pictures etc. So we just say, sorry we know you are never going to honour your word, so it's getting insured, tough.

Same in the PX here, buyers can swear up and down they want it not insured to save a few dollars and they are fine with the risk, but every single time they WILL go whining to the mods, freaking out on the forum and whining to the payment processors if something is lost or damaged in transit. Demanding that their agreement with the seller be damned, the seller should take all the loss. And since pretty much all the payment processors and others are happy to side with cheapskate "buyers" to screw over the sellers regardless of any agreements made, there is no point risking it from the seller's point of view.
So unless they are a big enough operation to have money set aside for losses, I always suggest they do full insurance so at least they have some hope of getting a payment and not being totally screwed over in the event of an issue.

Seen it happen on the PX too many times over the years to suggest any other course of action.

LoL because Midway put 15 lbs of metal in a cardboard box not made to hold that much?

Got it.
Well there is that too. I bought a barrel recently and it came to me damaged as well from usps. Priority mail took 2 weeks and it was damaged. Dumpster fire.

Well there is that too. I bought a barrel recently and it came to me damaged as well from usps. Priority mail took 2 weeks and it was damaged. Dumpster fire.

The first time I shipped ammo via UPS it showed up worse than the picture from the OP. I don't blame them. I didn't pack it sturdy enough. When you ship anything heavy it will take a beating. Onus is on the shipper to pack properly.

The last big item I sold in the PX was an A5. I wrapped it in bubble wrap then placed in a box that was stuffed with newspaper on both ends and all around stock. I tape every seam. I have received boxes from Midway that you could have tossed out the window without stopping and they would have been fine. I have also had them put a box of bullets without any packing in the shipping box. 🤷‍♂️

Ive had same problem with midway, and Its not just the carriers fault. All the need to do is put boxes of bullets into a plastic bag then put them into your box. I purchased some cast bullets from midway that I normally order directly from the manufacturer. When they come from the manufacturer they are boxed and wrapped in a heavy gauge plastic bag. I bet my bullets are strewn over 3 states.

I received an "indestructible" plastic bag from USPS yesterday with a seam cut open and the contents totally missing. The bag has a sticker saying "received unsealed/received without contents.

• Haha
Reactions: roostercogburn98
Going thru the claims process with brownells now. They sent one replacement w/ the other on b/o. The replacement had the same hole in the box due to the heavy material and poor packaging. Fortunately, it stayed in the box this time. Contacted them again ( Tasha) to report the bad packing on their part: "Send us another picture." Screw that noise, I'm tired of doing their work for them as they obviously don't give a damn.
No matter what some of you think, you aren't going to get better performance by paying a higher price. Even if a company packs it right, the shipping companies don't care, and the drivers really don't care either. As has been documented in various media, there are countless videos of these asshole drivers intentionally destroying property.
I wonder if there is a way to prosecute these drivers? I know....lawyers. Seems like there is no way to win this fight other than have a case where one of the drivers/shippers ends up being prosecuted and it goes viral and it embarrasses the company. Everybody is bitchin' about this stuff now. Ya pay more and get less.

Going thru the claims process with brownells now. They sent one replacement w/ the other on b/o. The replacement had the same hole in the box due to the heavy material and poor packaging. Fortunately, it stayed in the box this time. Contacted them again ( Tasha) to report the bad packing on their part: "Send us another picture." Screw that noise, I'm tired of doing their work for them as they obviously don't give a damn.
No matter what some of you think, you aren't going to get better performance by paying a higher price. Even if a company packs it right, the shipping companies don't care, and the drivers really don't care either. As has been documented in various media, there are countless videos of these asshole drivers intentionally destroying property.
I wonder if there is a way to prosecute these drivers? I know....lawyers. Seems like there is no way to win this fight other than have a case where one of the drivers/shippers ends up being prosecuted and it goes viral and it embarrasses the company. Everybody is bitchin' about this stuff now. Ya pay more and get less.
Dealing with UPS the drivers are pissed due to the volume they have to deal with everyday and the time schedule they must deal with.The trucks are loaded in no particular order so if they have 3 packages lets for me the driver has to make 2 or 3 stops to us to get to our packages as the truck unloads. Back in the day Christmas was considered the heavy volume crazy amount of packages, today that is normal daily volume . I recently order a 3'x8' table from home depot which arrived damaged so UPS picked it up and sent out a replacement , this happened 3 times so the UPS driver was really pissed by the third time he had to pick up that table.

Dealing with UPS the drivers are pissed due to the volume they have to deal with everyday and the time schedule they must deal with.

Our house is on top of a hill with a driveway that looks an Olympic bobsled track met a ski jump in a bar one night. Not that I blame them, but they no longer bring the packages up. Fortunately, we live at the end of a cul de sac, so haven't had any issues with them being left at the mail box at the bottom.

I do, however, get a little pissed a signature is required and they leave them anyway - my recent spotting scope purchase was left this way.

I will not use USPS to ship anything but a letter.And by the way they will not make good on an insurance claim.

Check the terms and conditions that all the carriers make you agree to before shipping (you know the ones that nobody reads).
I think you'll find their lawyers have made sure it's not going to happen.

Not to mention, you think it's bad now, you piss off your local package delivery driver group and you'll probably wind up having to pick all your packages at a distant hub.

Is it just me or does the OPs package look like it got wet/damp and then busted open?

My current UPS driver is a shooter and we have had talks and are on friendly terms. It seems to help as he has handled my packages with care.