• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My little Noveske min-sniper rifle...

ColdBlood

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Hi guys - I'm new here. I currently have some neat AR's and do quite a bit of shooting, but am wanting to put together a .308 bolt gun, so I came here to learn. I'm getting ready to move to a larger property, hence the interest in .308 bolt guns. :D

Anyways, here's one of my favorite semi-autos...a custom Noveske Afghan (14.5" med con fluted barrel) with a factory "dark titanium" KG finish. Vltor A5 buffer/tube (highly recommended). Trigger is the Geissele SD-E.

Glass is just a 3-9x40 Trijicon with the red triangle post reticle, in a AD Scout-X mount. This makes a great, and precise, little varmint/predator rifle for the back yard...max distance here is about 150-160 yds from the house, so no dialing/holdovers needed. It gives me the speed of a red dot, and magnification to positively ID smaller critters, even at night (with a light). I've shot a couple coyotes at a full sprint and a number of raccoons out there trying to get into the livestock building and/or trash. We try not to shoot stray cats if we can help it. lol

ETA - Title should read "mini-sniper". Doh. :rolleyes:

2013-NOVESKEweb3_zps84f0e744.jpg

2013-NOVESKEweb2_zpsc415e684.jpg

2013-NOVESKE5_zpse51d7730.jpg

This particular barrel is anything but picky and it's easily the most accurate AR I've personally fired. I'm not a great shooter for groups, but I can do 1/2" 5-shot groups at 100 yards all day long with 77 grain Black Hills and 75 grain PRVI (90% sandbags and 10% me knowing the trigger). 55 grain V-Max handloads also grouped in the .65 to .75 MOA range, and those were developed for a different rifle. Bipod sits back toward the magwell so I can get the light and muzzle waaaaay out the window when I snipe critters at night. :p

I think it's around 7 lbs naked/unloaded and around 9.5-9.75 lbs with the bipod/glass....plenty light/balanced enough to shoot off-hand like a carbine at 3x.

Last edited:
That is quite a nice rig there and the pics look professional! I would like to do a Noveske upper build in the future in 5.56 but with a 16" barrel.

Damn that is a lot of spent brass. You shot that all in one session, from that one 'veske?

That is quite a nice rig there and the pics look professional! I would like to do a Noveske upper build in the future in 5.56 but with a 16" barrel.

Thanks...not even close to professional, though. Just a DSLR camera that I use to shoot pictures for my business website (not at all gun related). :)

Noveske makes some great stuff. I already have two stainless 16" barrels, and range isn't a concern on this rifle, so I went for the 14.5".

My next AR will be a Noveske 6.8 Recon NSR (stainless 16")...or their new 308 if that comes out in the next year.

Last edited:
That thing is beautiful! It's a work or art, congrats and I'm JEALOUS!

Last edited:
That is just gorgeous. Can't wait for this panic buying crap to stop, these new rails coming out are so good. So sick of holding 4 pieces of Kindorf on the front of my AR's.

Thanks, fellas.

I ordered this one back in November just before everything went nuts, and it shipped out the day before John Noveske passed away. :(

With ammo being so hard to find, I've barely put 500 rounds through it. Normally it would be around 2-3k by now.

Did the laws recently change in MO to allow ownership of a can?

Yep...those and SBR's are legal for private citizens as of August 2011. I don't know how much that really changed, except for making it a little easier. A lot of citizens were just acquiring a curio & relic license to be considered an FFL holder, without actually having to open a storefront.

Last edited:
LOVE the Ti finish. Hard to beat a Noveske. You take some seriously nice pictures - you'll fit in just fine! Welcome!

Welcome to the Hide, that is a gorgeous rifle. I have a Noveske SPR that is easily my favorite semi-auto but after seeing your pictures the standard black color seems a little lacking.

Coldblood,

V nice stick.

Since you are used to light recoil and fast follow-up shots of an AR, you really ought to give thought to a 308AR.

50-60 rounds of 308 from a bolt gun gets unpleasant in a hurry, and leads to bad habits such as developing a flinch...something to think about.

Also, any chance you can ship me all that brass? PM me if interested.

Thanks again guys! It's a neat little gun to shoot...definitely proof that shorter barrels can be every bit as accurate as longer ones (just not as flat shooting at longer distances).

Coldblood,

V nice stick.

Since you are used to light recoil and fast follow-up shots of an AR, you really ought to give thought to a 308AR.

50-60 rounds of 308 from a bolt gun gets unpleasant in a hurry, and leads to bad habits such as developing a flinch...something to think about.

Also, any chance you can ship me all that brass? PM me if interested.

Thanks!

I would undoubtedly go with an AR platform 308 and I'm sure I will get/build one later, but AR anything is too hard to come by at the moment. When I do a 308 AR, it's going to be Noveske or Larue. For now, I'm doing an 700 SPS tactical AAC...just not sure on stock, trigger, other upgrades, etc. In all honesty, I had been looking for an excuse to build one of those since I first saw one at a local shop a couple years back.

Recoil sucks, but that might save me money on ammo in the long run! lol - Follow up shots are definitely a downside too, but that's not much an issue out here...critters are always within 30 yards of a tree line or woods, so they disappear fast when you take a shot. This 308 will probably be used more for steel than shooting critters, although I'm sure I'll get to whack a coyote or two with it. :cool:

I'm saving that brass. :)

Hahaha...well, if u change ur mind about the brass, i'll buy em off u...

Good luck with your bolt gun build. Be sure to update us with your build outcome.