• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My M1A Supermatch

JMGlasgow

Old Salt
Minuteman
  • Apr 13, 2012
    Cheyenne, WY
    I've had this rifle over a decade now, and I used it to shoot NRA High Power with. I don't shoot that type of competition much anymore so I decided to scope it.

First the specs of the rifle

Glen Nelson built SM from 1996
    Rear lugged receiver
    Douglas heavy air gauged barrel in 308
    TRW bolt
    NM front and rear sights
    Unitized gas cylinder (AMU style)
    NM spring guide
    All other parts are genuine USGI

I installed an ARMS 18 scope mount. I previously had a Smith Enterprise mount and the ARMS mount sits lower and fits better than the SEI. Rings are Burris Signature rings with pos-align inserts. The scope is a Bushnell Nitro 3-12x44 FFP mrad. The rear sight aperture needed to be removed to mount the scope as low as it is. This isn't a big deal because the iron sights can't be used with this mount.

Anyway, here are some pictures.

20200523_094324.jpg

20200523_094346.jpg

20200523_125202.jpg

The flier was on the 2nd shot of a five round string. The wind came up just before the shot broke. Really frustrating, and shots 3-5 went right back to center.

Ammo used was SSA (Nosler) 168gr match. For as inexpensive as it is I am very happy. Velocity was right at 2650 with an SD of 3.5 over 5 shots. Now I want to develop a 175gr load for it. I've never shot 175's out of this rifle, but I think with the 168's I'm leaving some long range performance on the table.

Regardless, this rifle is extremely accurate, and always has been. Plus its super fun to shoot.

Last edited:
    Nice. I have a SA Super Match in McMillan camo stock that I bought 25 years ago. I’m embarrassed to admit I’ve only fired 20 rounds through it. I hope to change that and just installed a Sadlak mount and Sightron SIII scope. What cheek riser is that and how do you like it?

Reactions: JMGlasgow
    Bradley Adjustable ($112). I have them on all my rifles that need a riser. Lots of different colors and patterns to choose from.

Reactions: Arc Light
    thanks for sharing that's a great looking rifle . I just picked up my first m1 garand and am starting to look for a scope mount for it cause my eyes and a peep sight just aren't working together anymore .

Fulton Armory and Ultimak sell scout style scope mounts for the M1. I like the looks of the Ultimak mount, it's cleaner.

Unless you want to buy an M1D barrel from Criterion, and find a mount, those are your only options.

Fulton Armory and Ultimak sell scout style scope mounts for the M1. I like the looks of the Ultimak mount, it's cleaner.

Unless you want to buy an M1D barrel from Criterion, and find a mount, those are your only options.
    CASM mount out of Canada is trick

Reactions: Stevo86
    CASM is the lowest m1a Mount I could find. You remove the rear sight assembly and it fits down in its place, you use the holes where the turrets where to bolt it in. Good mount

Reactions: Seymour Fish
    Suggest trying at or near 42.2gr IMR-4064, 175SMK, CCI BR-2, Win 308 Brass, 2.815" OAL.

Greg

Last edited:
    Reactions: Seymour Fish
    Regardless, this rifle is extremely accurate, and always has been. Plus its super fun to shoot.

Thanks for sharing those pics and results. I attached a couple of pics of my 2007 dated SAI M21 Long Range Match and 1987 dated SAI Supermatch shipped from Glen Nelson's shop with a 'fancy grade burley wood stock.' I had a 1998 Supermatch but converted into an USMC DMR replica last year.

Nice. I have a SA Super Match in McMillan camo stock that I bought 25 years ago. I’m embarrassed to admit I’ve only fired 20 rounds through it.

Well, you should post a picture of that on this thread. I really like the McMillan camo stocks.

People bash the z rings all the time..... I have used them a few times and think they are great

Like the original poster, I too have the Burris Signature Zee rings on my SAI M21 Long Match Match for over 10 years and never had any issues. In fact, I used them on my recent acquisition, which is a 1987 dated SAI Super Match with fancy grade buley wood stock and handguard. Scope mount is an SEI part, which sits a little higher than the ARMS 18.

Attachments

• IMG_3845.jpg
      IMG_3845.jpg
      544.2 KB · Views: 95
    • IMG_3848.jpg
      IMG_3848.jpg
      425.3 KB · Views: 237
    I like the Zee rings because they are low profile, adjustable, and they hold very well.

...and with the plastic posi-align inserts - they don't leave any ring marks/finish wear on the scope either.

I got my M1A in 1977 (or 78), Ser. Num 00860X, new for $295, Bought it at a LGS ran by Wayne Young (Retired AMU Armor Who went with the AMU to Vietnam to conduct sniper schools.

I was shooting for the AK NG Rifle team at the time. I made friends with Jene Barrnett (Barnett Barrels) who was working as a pistol armor for the NGMTU. He saw that I was shooting a standard Grade so he took my rifle and converted it to a super grade at NG Expense.

It still shoots but I've had to replace a couple shot out barrels over the years. Got my distinguished rifle badge with this rifle.
    M1A%20_1_.jpg