• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My new McMillan A5...wtf

Re: My new McMillan A5...wtf

"scratches" and tool marks aren't normal, what about on a barrel, chamber, action that cost over $700
frown.gif

Some of you uninformed ones, need to have a good read of McMillan's website. They are very frank about the finished appearance of the molded-in stocks.

Comparing the finish of an unpainted gelcoat fiberglass stock to a barrel, chamber, etc, only shows ignorance.

For you uninformed whiners, this is directly from McMillan's webpage:

"Molded-In Colors to Create a Unique Marble Pattern.
Molded in colors are the most durable finish we offer. With a molded finish, the color is impregnated into the gelcoat, or exterior surface layer of the stock. All of the molded-in finishes below should be considered utility-grade. Mold lines, sanding marks, fiberglass cloth and small imperfections may be visible.

Molded-in stocks are provided with a matte finish to minimize light reflection. After receiving your stock, some customers take it upon themselves to further wetblock sand and buff the surface to achieve a polished, warm luster finish. This is particularly attractive with marble patterns.

A molded-in stock will weigh several ounces more than a painted stock due to the additional resin material that is used.

We do our best to make your particular finish as attractive as possible. However, we are limited in what can be accomplished with molded-in colors. Solid colors, especially darker ones, produce the greatest challenge, whereas the camouflage patterns tend to look better because the various colors and shapes hide imperfections. Marbled colors offer the best choice for creating a finished look with a molded-in color."

http://www.mcmillanusa.com/mcmillan-stocks-finishes.php

not your bro.
2 piece molds and 2 piece molded stocks are different animals, or DD wouldn't have bothered correcting you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">not your bro.
2 piece molds and 2 piece molded stocks are different animals, or DD wouldn't have bothered correcting you. </div></div>
Maybe he should be correcting the lady that works in the front office then...

Hell , I like it! As best as I can remember all my mcmillans have looked like that. But in the end its your $ so you should be satisfied. Good luck

I always wondered why us teenagers have such a bad rap for being disrespectful douche bags.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I wish I could grab a "blemished" A5 like that right now, </div></div>

I have one of the LA W/M5 cut Fully adjustable A5's off the specials page, I think it was like $550 shipped to the house. The Blem is the stock line around the ejection port but nothing I cannot live with.

Hell I would buy a blem mcm stock in a minute with a discount. You wouldnt be able to tell it from a "non blem" if there is such a thing.

It can be summed up as follows. McM makes good stocks, Their function is held in higher regard than their appearance. If you know that going in...you will be satisfied. I didnt bother calling just accepted that they are what they are.

Manners also makes good stocks. Their function and appearance are obviously of equal importance. They are really nice people as well. I have called and bothered them many times and no one has called me "bud" yet.

It seems like the attitude of some in reference to the appearance issue is ...lower your expectations so you wont be disappointed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rwest</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It seems like the attitude of some in reference to the appearance issue is ...lower your expectations so you wont be disappointed. </div></div>

No.

McMillan makes it clear on their site what to expect. You earlier referenced the look of Manners camo. However, you fail to grasp that if Manners made MOLDED in camo it would look just like McMillan. So, Manners paints them instead. Luckily for the OP the miracles of modern science allow someone to place paint on a McMillan stock as well.

I like both Manners and McMillan. I have owned several. Put a painted McMillan next to a painted Manners and you won't be able to tell the difference in crispness or strength.

Josh

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here's a present for you, since you seem to always be in need:
LastWord.jpg
</div></div>

Priceless.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MinorDamage</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rwest</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It seems like the attitude of some in reference to the appearance issue is ...lower your expectations so you wont be disappointed. </div></div>

No.

McMillan makes it clear on their site what to expect. You earlier referenced the look of Manners camo. However, you fail to grasp that if Manners made MOLDED in camo it would look just like McMillan. So, Manners paints them instead. Luckily for the OP the miracles of modern science allow someone to place paint on a McMillan stock as well.

I like both Manners and McMillan. I have owned several. Put a painted McMillan next to a painted Manners and you won't be able to tell the difference in crispness or strength.

Josh </div></div>

okay point taken....read the fine print and lower your expectations accordingly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lazy21</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the next one will most likely look the same, if you want something that looks nice. Order a black stock and send it to 30calsniper, here is one he did for me........my opinion painted looks a lot better than molded.

DSC_0301.jpg

</div></div>
I agree, 30cal best around, could not ask for a better guy.

I'm glad McMillan caters to the hard use working rifle.

If you want your safe queen to look pretty, you can always have it airbrushed to your whim.

Todd Jackson at Manners is good for paint, as is Todd Powers at Phantom Finishing. Phantom's a Hide vendor and supporter of precision matches all over, as is Tom Manners.
Pick your poison.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rwest</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
okay point taken....read the fine print and lower your expectations accordingly.
</div></div>

Aside from Precision Shooting, I also give reading comprehension lessons. I'll even throw in a dictionary for those hard to define words like "expectation".

Josh

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MontanaMarine</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm glad McMillan caters to the hard use working rifle.

If you want your safe queen to look pretty, you can always have it airbrushed to your whim. </div></div>

Well said. I read McMillan's FAQ's and knew what I was buying when I got my Mcmillan stocks. I chose the molded in finishes for function and durability. Of course I may have my priorities all screwed up.

The consensus is in: the OP got exactly what he ordered. If you don't like what you got, then don't order a gel coat and paint it. Frankly, I'd be embarrassed to put up a whiny post like this. Complaining about a camo pattern where the lines aren't crisp and shiny: pretty funny stuff.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here's a present for you, since you seem to always be in need:
LastWord.jpg
</div></div>

The count down until he moves the first piece begins.......

BTW I have squares for sale, winner gets a camo mask.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scooter-PIE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The consensus is in: the OP got exactly what he ordered. If you don't like what you got, then don't order a gel coat and paint it. Frankly, I'd be embarrassed to put up a whiny post like this. Complaining about a camo pattern where the lines aren't crisp and shiny: pretty funny stuff. </div></div>

Yep you should be embarrassed to post that.
wink.gif

Where exactly was I complaining about the lack of crisp and shiny lines? Oh yeah.. thats right I didn't. Like I said before it was my $$$ spent on the stock.

Grow up.

I have the marble-ized (Did I say that right?)A-5, I love that stock.
Tangodown, you have a great stock there.
As far as stocks are concerned, you didn't buy a Ferrari with a $30,000 paint job , you bought a Hummer H-1 ready for action in the field.
I would be proud of that stock.
.........SmokeRolls

I'd be more than happy with the results. Deal with it and move on. Good Stock, be happy.
Chad

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tangodown911</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You guys are definitely making me feel better about the stock... Well most of you.
smile.gif
</div></div>
Dude, bed that action and barrel in that stock, finish tricking it out, put your scope on it and shoot the piss out of it!

Take that baby out in the field and have a blast.
......SmokeRolls

I've watched them being built and have several.

Your stock looks representative of their product.

The way it looks is a bi-product of how they are made - which is - EVERY ONE BY HAND to your specs.

That camo color get coat is literally laid into the mold by a man using his fingers and little cups of gel coat of the different colors, then the main color is laid over the top of that.

This is done while the gel coat is still wet, hence the reason there is some blending. When the main color is put in over the top of the other two, it is spread out.

The fiberglass cloth is then laid in on top of that, the wet gel coat. BY HAND. Oh and the cloth was cut specific to your stock - BY HAND.

Now, understand that the mold is a mirror, a left and a right. Imagine trying to lay the cloth in there and merge the two molds together as the cloth spans both halves - and oh BTW, in this step, the cavity is filled with several inner tubes (made BY HAND) that have to stick out in several places so that air can be but into them once the two halves are together.

The completed mold, once together, sits for several weeks while the gelcoat hardens 100%.

The steps above describe just the making of the shell. That is about oh 20% of the process that makes a complete stock.

I could go on and on about how it is done. I have pics of the entire process but have been asked not to post them.

Bottom line is every stock gets inspected multiple times in the process by a guy whose initials are D.T. (but goes by T.T.), and that stock looks spot on for what goes out of their shop.

Send it back and have them look it over again if you like, but most likely it will come back No Problem Found.

If you don't want to see all the character of a hand laid up stock, then go for a painter from them. They do everything the same but save the time of the multi-color camo and instead put a finish coat of Polane-T on them with a little texturing underneath - that will give you a uniform finish.

My I humbly suggest that we have beat this subject to death. The issues are pretty clear. Our molded in camo finishes are not cosmetically perfect. We are up front about that. They are designed for max durability and should look about the same after 30 or 40 years of use as they did when you got it. They even have ultraviolet blockers in the gelcoat to keep the pigments from fading in the sun. As far as customer applied dings, scratches, etc, your milage may vary with use. We have been doing these finishes for about 35 years now and they are about as nice as our technology will permit
Applied finishes are more cosmetically appealing. They provide a more finished look. If you want a really nice looking finish up close, please order a painted finish. Hopefully one of ours in a solid color, they look as nice as any out there. If you want a really nice camo finish plan on a custom paint job from the people who specialize in this. Again, hopefully you choose one of ours to have this finish applied too but the choice is yours and you have many.
Finally, if you don't like one of our products please send it back for a refund. We do not have a problem with that and neither should you. If you don't like it please don't keep it as it will always bug you. But please don't expect us to make something to your expections or standards if we cannot. It's not a matter of lowering your expections but finding something else that will meet them. Sometimes nothing will so you will have to change them or do without. Personally I would like to run up to the moon this weekend for a couple hundred dollars to see if the earth at night really looks like the famous NASA photo of "earth lights" really looks like that but I doubt this is going to happen.
Above all, please remember the famous quote "Please, can't we all just get along".
Good Night, Dick

Is this where we are suppose to hold hands and sing? Sumthin like Kum-ba-ya maybe?

lol

They have a wonderful product, put it to use as they expect!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dick Davis</div><div class="ubbcode-body">By the way, these are not two-piece stocks, they are one-piece stocks made in a two-piece mold. The shells come out of the mold as a complete 360 degree one-piece tubular shell.
Also, you keep calling all the little smears and color offsets "blemishes". I know JW Precision and Gene Sears call us and tell us the the customers keep complaining about the blemished stocks they get. To us, these are not blemish's, they are perfectly normal and just the "nature of the beast". And we do not want any customer to keep something they are not happy with because it will always be a source of irritation to them.
So please return them for a refund, but the only solution we know of to a perfect camo type finish is a painted one. And I'm still waiting for some sharp painter to figure out how to do a "marble" paint job. Now, there's a challange.</div></div>

I've actually done lots of Marble paint jobs on everything from surfboards, helmets to RC car controllers. I like it because it's so easy.
smile.gif

If you wanted nice straight edges, perhaps you should have just ordered a single colour and painted it (or had it painted) yourself?

But I don't see too many perfect stright edges in nature... isn't that the whole point of camo?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DebosDave</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice Stock..

you get the chance to shoot behind it yet, and weigh its merits for what it is intended? I love the A5 stocks... almost as much as my Sentinels
laugh.gif

</div></div>

DD I can help satisfy your desires, I got an A-5 that I will reluctantly trade you for your Sentinel. That's what friends are for bro!!
laugh.gif

Heres a M1A stock, molded in color forest camo, that Springfield Armory orders that we tested for "toughness". Some of you have seen this clip before.

We had an extra one, so we gave it hell
grin.gif

strength of McMillan stock

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dick Davis</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> To all, we will also be the first to admit that Mr. Manners camo stocks look better that ours if fine detail is your thing on a finish. </div></div>

Good on you for being a pro! You guys are a class act. Keep up the great work.

This is a very informative thread and would make a good sticky if McMillan had not done it already on their website
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M.45</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> [the colors were smeared and didn't match up, looked kinda rushed. After a trip to the range I forgot all about it. <span style="font-weight: bold">I bought the A5 to shoot, not to look at.</span> </div></div>

Tada!!! </div></div>

I agree with that 100% but... ...I've known a fair shair of people that have rifle's built because they are collector's. Ive seen a few McMillan stock's, but that amongst the worse i've seen factory new.

At the same time those paper cut's are easy fixes with the use of some paint, and you will soon forget about it all.

Good luck,
MS

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Moonshadow</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M.45</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> [the colors were smeared and didn't match up, looked kinda rushed. After a trip to the range I forgot all about it. <span style="font-weight: bold">I bought the A5 to shoot, not to look at.</span> </div></div>

Tada!!! </div></div>

I agree with that 100% but... ...I've known a fair shair of people that have rifle's built because they are collector's. Ive seen a few McMillan stock's, but that amongst the worse i've seen factory new.

At the same time those paper cut's are easy fixes with the use of some paint, and you will soon forget about it all.

Good luck,
MS </div></div>

"Built" and "collector" is an oxymoron.

With THOUSANDS of these stocks out there, if you don't know what they look like before ordering, that is YOUR FAULT.

These things are OEM on several maker's rifles, so it is not like they are hard to get in the same room with if one is not a shooter.

If one is a shooter, they litter the firing line like flies in a horse stall.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MontanaMarine</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm glad McMillan caters to the hard use working rifle.

If you want your safe queen to look pretty, you can always have it airbrushed to your whim. </div></div>

+1 on that.

All of my stocks are McM A5s and they all have molded in camo of some sort.

I am a pretty OCD type of guy and have yet to notice any problems or even bother to focus down to that level of detail. All I give a shit about is if the inlet is correct, pattern is correct, flush cup and studs are mounted where I asked them to be, and thats it. I guess if the rig sits in a safe or on the bench, she needs to look purdy.
grin.gif

If you want perfect paint and bling, contact Todd Powers with Phantom Finishing.

Hopefully this pic will further dispel the "two piece stock" idea -

McMcut.jpg

This clearly shows the monolithic nature of the gelcoat layer, the fiberglass cloth, and the fill.

Too bad I had to cut one of mine into pieces just for this thread, but oh well...

$2 can of krylon. BAM!!! No more marks. Gotta love it.

I say rock on. Looks fine to me...

The gun culture sure is getting all "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy"....

Just to throw my experience in there... My A5 looks very much like yours. I assumed, as was probably mentioned, that it was not an easy process to mold-in the color and then make it "pretty". I also figured that I was buying a "Working" stock. Not a "Lookin' at" stock. To me, the flaws and inconsistencies add character. I love my A5 and the only stock I'd consider instead of it would be an A4. FWIW...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dagsta</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DebosDave</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice Stock..

you get the chance to shoot behind it yet, and weigh its merits for what it is intended? I love the A5 stocks... almost as much as my Sentinels
laugh.gif

</div></div>

DD I can help satisfy your desires, I got an A-5 that I will reluctantly trade you for your Sentinel. That's what friends are for bro!!
laugh.gif
</div></div>

I always know I can count on you
smile.gif

Looks the same as my A3-5. Like it was hand made, because it was, just for me, to my specifications and I'm damn proud of it. There's no mistaking a MCM stock on a line, and anyone who knows rifles knows that if the action is sitting in a MCM, the rest of the rifle has to be top notch.

This thread almost gave me a nosebleed out of sheer frustration.

I've got four A5's and they all looked like that when they were new. Now they're beat to shit and look even better...great piece of kit that wont let you down. Run with it as is..

That stock looks fine to me.

Send it over this way and I will be happy to bathe it in krylon and kick the shit out of it.

It's a working stock for working rifles. I only have one McMillan right now, and you would really have to stretch it to call it "pretty". Then again it's probably got a few notches in it's gunbook somewhere.

I really would like a A1-3 for my next project, but too many "wants" and not enough money.

I'm new here, so my opinion won't matter as much as others. I really like the McM. designs. The functionality of their stocks are second to none. Their finish seems to be lacking in my opinion. I fully understand the molded in camo smears, it is a gelcoat. I am quite knowledgeable in composites. I reject anything that I build out of fiberglass/carbon where the fabric shows through. I also don't leave deep scratch marks in the gelcoat, and no mold marks on my stuff. I haven't built rifle stocks, but I have built many automotive, motorcycle, boat, and aircraft parts and I wouldn't send out a part looking like that, not for $750. Flame away if you wish, I am new and I don't count...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HateCA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You want to know how hard this gel coat stuff is ask Dick about my RAD Camo and what it took to get this done. When I did this with McMillan I think there was only one guy at McMillan that wanted to even try it. He nailed it and I couldn't have been happier.

Comparing Manners painted stocks to McMillan molded in gel coat is apples and oranges.

IMG_3368.jpg

ArthurLeung2.jpg
</div></div>

That's my all time favorite McM stock. Love that RAD pattern in those colors.

For those complaining here, try this. Take a new stock, apply two different color bedding components in the standard bedding area side by side, smash a barreled receiver in it, let it dry, then pop it out and see if you can get a nice even clean line between the two in your perfectly desired pattern. That is essentially what happens to the gel coat when they blow up the air bladder and compress the gel coat in the mold. It goes where it pleases, and mixes however is available. That is why McM's repeatedly says no two patterns are fully replicable.