• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My new toy! RRA EOP Varmint 18" Bull .223 Wylde AR

elfster1234

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Jun 3, 2012
    www.youtube.com
    Figured I would show you all my new toy! Will see how it does against my LMT MWS.

- Rock River Arms EOP
    - .223 wylde 1:8 twist 18" cryo SS bull barrel
    - mid gas and mid length tube
    - LOW vortex rings
    - 6"-9" swivel harris bipod
    - vortex 4-16x50 PST FFP scope
    - hogue rubber grip
    - 20round straight pmag

IMG_5844.jpg

clearance.jpg

Re: My new toy! RRA EOP Varmint 18" Bull .223 Wylde AR

So did you decide to purchase this after seeing what the bull barrel ARs are capable of in your challenge?

I actually sold my other rock river for what I paid for it including the scope (got really lucky),,,, so i dumped that money into this new rifle.

IMO, driving a gas rifle AR has more to do with the shooter, but it really friggen helps to have a bull barrel for sure!!! IMO, if you want any type of sub-moa AR (not all the time, but usually), then you better be rocking a bull barrel. That barrel heat build up is a bitch..... trust me on this,,,, a bull barrel really helps.

This is one of my bench rifles. This rifle will see no sling.

Your gonna love the RRA, it was my 1st actual shooter. I got the 20", put on a PRS, BCM CH, and the 1/8 loves 50&60gr Vmax over 24gr of H4895. If your looking for some darn accurate loads, google graymist reloading. He did a test on the 20", and that's where I got all my loads from, and the 50 and 60gr avg. .3's and .4's. I didn't get the EOP, just the regular with a Scout Mt. for a Leup 6.5-20. You will be surprised at how she shoots!

Well, i got back from the range today but it was windy as hell!! Was a challenge as even the rubber mats my target was stapled too were friggen moving. Ran some crappy bulk bullet box 55grn FMJ BT W/C thru as my first 150 shots just to get her broke in... Not too darn bad for 55grn FMJ in a 1:8twist barrel with about 10-15mph wind. Was getting groups all the way from .7 to about 1.2moa @ 100yards and that was with no breaks between groups, just all out shooting. I put up a deer target and put all 20rounds dead center of the deer's heart @ 100yards & another 20rounds dead center of the deer's eyeball / head. Guys at the range was rather impressed being that I was shooting 55grn FMJ ammo. Going to try some 68grn and 75grn amax's this next run to the range and hopefully it isn't so damn windy. I'll get you guys some 6group, 5shot each pics with the hornady 68grn & 75grn hornady amax's in about a week or so. Hopefully I'll have some better weather.

A purpose built 100yd bench rig?

I'm trying to grasp why you wouldn't have gone with the 24" tube and the 7 twist. If it is a simple 100 yarder I could see it but you increase the distance and that wind problem is just going to kick your ass even more.

Heavies and more barrel would suit your needs better...no?

who said anything about this being a <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">100yard</span></span> bench rig? man, i just got the rifle and haven't even developed any ammo for this rifle yet nor sighted it in (well, other than 1hour ago)... Might be used for varmint hunting or back up deer hunting rifle if someone in our party is short a rifle for tree stand purposes. And I wouldn't want a 24" as it would be too damn heavy. 18" to 20" is perfect IMO. Anything more and it is too damn heavy. All this rifle is too me is a cheap way to target practice at the local 100yard, and 300yard range. My LMT is 20" and I love it. I don't think I would want anything longer. My old rifle was a 24" DPMS bull barrel and it made my LMT feel like a carbine.

The longest range in my area is 300yards and im still looking for something up to 600yards but it would be on private property... In the wisconsin city I live in I'm surrounded by houses, buildings, and outside of that wooded areas and private property corn fields. Neither my LMT nor this new rifle of mine will see over 300yards unless I just drive onto some farmer's land and just start shooting. Hell, I would be happy as hell with 600yards if I could find it. Sorry dude, but you're kinda being a dick.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: calling4life</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A purpose built 100yd bench rig?

I'm trying to grasp why you wouldn't have gone with the 24" tube and the 7 twist. If it is a simple 100 yarder I could see it but you increase the distance and that wind problem is just going to kick your ass even more.

Heavies and more barrel would suit your needs better...no? </div></div>

Figured I wouldn't keep you all hanging with no pics. Should be able to get a shootout entry next week or so once I can get some ammo made up and some better weather.. Thinking 68 to 75grn pills. This is 20shots to the heart and 20shots to the head @ 100yards with no wait time between shots, about 15mph wind, 55grn FMJ BT w/c lite crimp ammo I made up for my old RRA carbine. These are my first shots with the rifle with no real point of aim other than the deer's eyeball.

deertarget.jpg

IMG_5844.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: elfster1234</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I actually sold my other rock river for what I paid for it including the scope (got really lucky),,,, so i dumped that money into this new rifle.

IMO, driving a gas rifle AR has more to do with the shooter, but it really friggen helps to have a bull barrel for sure!!! IMO, if you want any type of sub-moa AR (not all the time, but usually), then you better be rocking a bull barrel. That barrel heat build up is a bitch..... trust me on this,,,, a bull barrel really helps.

<span style="font-weight: bold">This is one of my bench rifles. This rifle will see no sling. </span></div></div>

There's a reason there was a question mark after the 100yd question.

I was basing my questioning why you went the route you did based off the bolded sentence coupled with your comments about the wind.

It wasn't malicious, rather wondering why, again based off the quote in bold, you went with what you did, however it has been cleared up enough for me given the more recent posts.

This is my cheap way of target practice. This rifle IMO will be 90% on the bench, but I wanted the remote option of maybe using for a back up deer rifle in a stand for maybe one of the yonger guys in our hunting party OR maybe even myself it something goes funky with my LMT,,,,, or even remote chance of coyote hunting (but doubt it, but you never know...)... I don't think I would rock a barrel on a AR over 20"..... My old bull barrel DPMS was 24" and I hated it. What I like about this new rifle is it's only 1pound heavier than my old rock river tactical operator2 16" chromoly carbine.

My 20" CL LMT MWS on the other hand is 50% target, and 50% deer hunting in my tree stand / ground blind.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: calling4life</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: elfster1234</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I actually sold my other rock river for what I paid for it including the scope (got really lucky),,,, so i dumped that money into this new rifle.

<span style="font-weight: bold">This is one of my bench rifles. This rifle will see no sling. </span></div></div>

There's a reason there was a question mark after the 100yd question.

I was basing my questioning why you went the route you did based off the bolded sentence coupled with your comments about the wind.

It wasn't malicious, rather wondering why, again based off the quote in bold, you went with what you did, however it has been cleared up enough for me given the more recent posts.

</div></div>

Just finished off the rifle with some really nice <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">LOW</span></span> vortex rings and a 20round pmag.. She is absolutely finished now. Vortex rings are actually made by seekins and are crazy heavy duty. Cheek weld is perfect. The new low rings give me the same scope elevation as larue LT104 mounts but with standard LOW picatinny rings due to the EOP. Rear objective perfectly clears the rail and you couldn't get it any lower. Really happy with the results on this EOP / vortex scope & vortex low rings so far. This would be the lowest you can get a vortex PST 4-16x50 FFP scope on an AR fixed rail with standard rings with perfect AR cheek weld / eye relief IMO.

IMG_5844.jpg

clearance.jpg

Elfster, I love it. Can't wait till you shoot the challenge with it, bet it does well. I've considered getting a short barreled upper to change back and forth. Now the bad news, the 75gr Amax are too long to use in the mag. When you seat them to mag length the ogive is inside the neck. You can single shot them though. The 70gr Bergers will fit and shoot OK but do best seated longer. I've been considering a heavy HP to try.

Nice rig and good Shootin

How do you like your Vortex scope?

yeah, i took the amax's back and got a refund... hooked up with the 68 and 75grn bthp's... loading them up tonight and might go shooting tomorrow depending on the weather.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: boone3380</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Elfster, I love it. Can't wait till you shoot the challenge with it, bet it does well. I've considered getting a short barreled upper to change back and forth. Now the bad news, the 75gr Amax are too long to use in the mag. When you seat them to mag length the ogive is inside the neck. You can single shot them though. The 70gr Bergers will fit and shoot OK but do best seated longer. I've been considering a heavy HP to try. </div></div>

absolutely love the vortex 4-16x50 PST FFP scope... so much that i have one on each of my two AR's. the best FFP scope for the money hands down.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sig716</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How do you like your Vortex scope? </div></div>

i think i might take my 6"-9" bipod back and get a 3"-6" bipod... not sure yet and still up in the air on it... would be better for the bench, but the 6"-9" would be better out in the field for varmint hunting if the rifle has the remote chance to go for some varmint hunting. hmmmmm.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: boone3380</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Elfster, I love it. Can't wait till you shoot the challenge with it, bet it does well. I've considered getting a short barreled upper to change back and forth. Now the bad news, the 75gr Amax are too long to use in the mag. When you seat them to mag length the ogive is inside the neck. You can single shot them though. The 70gr Bergers will fit and shoot OK but do best seated longer. I've been considering a heavy HP to try. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: elfster1234</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i think i might take my 6"-9" bipod back and get a 3"-6" bipod... not sure yet and still up in the air on it... would be better for the bench, but the 6"-9" would be better out in the field for varmint hunting if the rifle has the remote chance to go for some varmint hunting. hmmmmm.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: boone3380</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Elfster, I love it. Can't wait till you shoot the challenge with it, bet it does well. I've considered getting a short barreled upper to change back and forth. Now the bad news, the 75gr Amax are too long to use in the mag. When you seat them to mag length the ogive is inside the neck. You can single shot them though. The 70gr Bergers will fit and shoot OK but do best seated longer. I've been considering a heavy HP to try. </div></div></div></div>

I think you might be a little bit mixed up. The bench sized bipod is 6-9", and the next size up is the 9-13". Yours looks like a 9-13". Either way, I'm looking forward to your 6-group entry. That's quite a rifle!

doh! sorry, you're correct.. my bad

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Temp9</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: elfster1234</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i think i might take my 6"-9" bipod back and get a 3"-6" bipod... not sure yet and still up in the air on it... would be better for the bench, but the 6"-9" would be better out in the field for varmint hunting if the rifle has the remote chance to go for some varmint hunting. hmmmmm.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: boone3380</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Elfster, I love it. Can't wait till you shoot the challenge with it, bet it does well. I've considered getting a short barreled upper to change back and forth. Now the bad news, the 75gr Amax are too long to use in the mag. When you seat them to mag length the ogive is inside the neck. You can single shot them though. The 70gr Bergers will fit and shoot OK but do best seated longer. I've been considering a heavy HP to try. </div></div></div></div>

I think you might be a little bit mixed up. The bench sized bipod is 6-9", and the next size up is the 9-13". Yours looks like a 9-13". Either way, I'm looking forward to your 6-group entry. That's quite a rifle! </div></div>

6-9 is much nicer for bench shooting. I had a 9-13 but switched it out for the 6-9 and couldn't be happier. Works great from prone as well.

After you zeroed your scope how many mils do you have left to dial up?

Elfster1234,just wondering if you had a chance to try out the new rifle with the hand loads.Thats a sweet looking rig.

Finally got my new harris bipod... Refunded the 9"-13" and purchased a new 6"-9" which made a huge improvement with my .223 RRA EOP for the rear sandbag (much more level and didn't need to build it up with other sandbags)..... Still working on load development but I think im getting close to a pet load close to hornady 68gr bthp, cci400 primers, and about 24.2gr of varget. Would say my rifle likes the 68grn better than the 75grn, but it is a really close second. She is a real shooter and I'm really happy with the RRA EOP purchase so far. Anyway, here are the pics:

IMG_5844.jpg

IMG_5839.jpg

.223 wylde is the in between to 223 rem and 556 correct?
    but you can shoot both calibers specs?

Had one of those and sold it, and it was the biggest mistake I ever made.

We had mine pretty consistantly running under two inches at 300 with new win brass, 25.0 of Varget and a 75 Amax at 2.550 OAL, with any hard primer.

Single feed only but every RRA barrel I've shot that load out of was nothing short of magic.

Congrats.

sean

what scope did you run on your old rra eop?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hofhine1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Had one of those and sold it, and it was the biggest mistake I ever made.

We had mine pretty consistantly running under two inches at 300 with new win brass, 25.0 of Varget and a 75 Amax at 2.550 OAL, with any hard primer.

Single feed only but every RRA barrel I've shot that load out of was nothing short of magic.

Congrats.

sean </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JayTrigger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.223 wylde is the in between to 223 rem and 556 correct?
    but you can shoot both calibers specs? </div></div>

The .223 Wylde chamber was designed as a match chambering for semi-automatic rifles. It will accomodate both .223 Rem and 5.56mm NATO ammunition. It is relieved in the case body to aid in extraction and features a shorter throat for improved accuracy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cdmorten</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice rig! Looks like a shooter. </div></div>

not too darn bad for a $1050 rifle.

Nice! I have the same rifle except mine isn't EOP, just a regular 18" Varmint. it's scary accurate.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: elfster1234</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    This is one of my bench rifles. This rifle will see no sling. </div></div>
    Nice setup I love mine.
    Why no sling? I have a sling on mine, I carry it over the deer lease.
    A PRS stock really works on that rifle.