• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing My rifle back from the "Smith"??PIC HEAVY!

Re: My rifle back from the "Smith"??PIC HEAVY!

81sfo, did you forgot about the brass that was crack after rejected from the rifle?

One piece of brass cracked at the neck of 168 FED GMM. Out of 60 rounds let hope it was just a bad round!

I'll say this. I understand that this guys name is his life, however if there are multiple hide members that have had issues obviously he isn't all he is cracked up to be. If it was a one time deal and you weren't aware of any other incidents I could understand the reluctance to put a name out there, but that isn't the case. By not outing him it puts pretty much any hide member at risk of getting sub standard smithing done on their stick.

Holy shit! I would not only not pay him for that train wreck but back-charge him for having to fix it yourself and/or whatever bills you may incur in the process (material,labor). And go ahead and out him just to save everyone else from going down the same road you are having too.

I have to Chime in...
I have had work done by this gunsmith and thought the work was superb.
Every rifle that I have heard about built by this smith...was spoken highly of and were often referred to as lazers. For that...I can understand Jose for not wanting to burn him in the open. Shit happens to everyone and it does suck when your on the receiving end! I think the saying is something to the effect of " the 1st impression is a lasting impression" or something like that..

Come on! who is it ?
shocked.gif

Maybe he has a new apprentice or any number of different scenarios but still you have to admit that is sub-par for someone of the reputation and standing in the community. I can understand that every one messes things up once in awhile but something like a rifle, or automobile, or airplane basically anything that your or someone else's life may depend on should be held to a higher standard At least he will be given the chance to explain what happened and make things right.

There have been a number of these "Look what a *$&%#! job this smith did to my rifle" threads lately, without posting any names. This is unacceptible, in my mind. Either keep your misery to yourself, or spill the beans! We're not dealing with a toy here, folks. This thing called a rifle produces a controlled explosion right in front of your face, and if things are not done right, can kill you! Shoddy work is just not acceptible when it comes to firearms. Zero tolerance. Now that you've come to a resolution with him, you should respect your end of the bargain, but really... People who do this kind of work should not be building rifles.

Great , I am in the market to have a rifle bedded and now there is a hack out there destroying shit !

The only upside to this is that I would never pay 600 bucks for a bedding job . Not unless it came with a Free have sex with Pam Anderson card or some shit like that .

I recommend you send the bedding job to GAP request a fellow named Ern Stokesberry to do it , he bedds rifles better than anyone ive seen.He does some of the FN SPR A3G rifles.

81sfo,

I am sorry to hear about your rifle. Can't believe he sent it out his shop like that. He tried to get me to send him parts for a build, and I flat out told him no and laughed. Haven't really heard much good from him, its mostly that he is greedy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Michael N</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Great , I am in the market to have a rifle bedded and now there is a hack out there destroying shit !

The only upside to this is that I would never pay 600 bucks for a bedding job . Not unless it came with a Free have sex with Pam Anderson card or some shit like that . </div></div>

Too true - same here. I gotta say though, this is precisely why I am so thankful for awesome sites like this, where so much experience, knowledge and wisdom is to be found...and yes, even a few horror stories. I am by no means new to firearms and all that comes with - but precision rifles is a relatively new pursuit. So posts like this are invaluable to me. If I need to know who "the offender" really is in this case, it seems that the OP will help out via PM, etc., so it's all good I think.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 81sfo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One piece of brass cracked at the neck of 168 FED GMM. Out of 60 rounds let hope it was just a bad round!</div></div>

Considering I have never seen a FED GMM crack at the neck on firing I would have to add the chamber to the list of things I would be concerned with....

At the minimum get a chamber cast done before anymore rounds going downrange.

I am in agreement with most others, If your work is your livelyhood, then it should be 100% at all times, I just recevied my 5R and need work done to it and the last thing I want is to send it to someone who is having some QA/QC issues recently, the point of us all being a community is to better eachother, I think a name is needed.

Now the chamber has me worried.i got out all the expended brass i shot saturday and saw a deep ring close to the shoulders of all brass.fuck! i looked in the chamber with my surefire light and it looks very rough in there.i see the ring thats causing the markings on the brass.i also stuck a factory round and took it out to inspect it.i noticed that the bullet gets marked as if its touching the rifling.is this normal?the round was a factory fed gold medal 168?shit this is turning into a nightmare on gunsmith street real fast!!shit.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 81sfo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Now the chamber has me worried.i got out all the expended brass i shot saturday and saw a deep ring close to the shoulders of all brass.fuck! i looked in the chamber with my surefire light and it looks very rough in there.i see the ring thats causing the markings on the brass.i also stuck a factory round and took it out to inspect it.i noticed that the bullet gets marked as if its touching the rifling.is this normal?the round was a factory fed gold medal 168?shit this is turning into a nightmare on gunsmith street real fast!!shit. </div></div>

Wow - stop right there and get that rifle to a competent smith ASAP!

1. Bad chamber - major safety issue

2. Damaged stock

3. Screwed up bedding job (My 12 year old nephew did a far better job on his Savage Mk II first time out!).

4. Wrong bottom metal.

I would offer this smith a choice: Return the rifle and he

1. Sends a new rifle and parts (IE: NIB box rifle, same stock and barrel blank as sent him) + complete refund.

2. Complete refund + value of the rifle and parts.

At this point I would think everyone needs to know who the smith is. Mistakes will happen - this is pure greed and incompetence to the point of danger.

I have yet to have a rifle built outside of my own local smith but that was several years ago. I've been in the market to buy/build a new rig and this down right worries me. Yes, there are the few very prefered smiths but the wait time is waaaaay to long for my liking although I do understand the idea of "you get what you pay for".

But my god this is crazy!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 81sfo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Now the chamber has me worried.i got out all the expended brass i shot saturday and saw a deep ring close to the shoulders of all brass.fuck! i looked in the chamber with my surefire light and it looks very rough in there.i see the ring thats causing the markings on the brass.i also stuck a factory round and took it out to inspect it.i noticed that the bullet gets marked as if its touching the rifling.is this normal?the round was a factory fed gold medal 168?shit this is turning into a nightmare on gunsmith street real fast!!shit. </div></div>

Oh fuck that, Its one thing to screw up a bed job, but when you can't get the metel right, thats a game ender.

Re: LRAS19D : "If your work is your livelyhood, then it should be 100% at all times"

I'd go further...if your work is someone else's life it should be 110% everytime.

Who wants a bolt through their face because someone else fucked up?

i would be pissed if that was my rifle. you could demand a refund
but if he is a nationally in demand gunsmith and feels he did a good job and thinks you are trying to pull a fast one on him
i wouldnt be suprised if he tolt you to get lost.

We all praise and push a gunsmith who does great work for us, so don't you think you should let the cat out of the bag on a hack that now has you worried about your own safety???

Help us all out and give his name!!!!

Who makes 3 parts for the USMC M40a3?

This is the brass,anyone want to go shoot with me on saturday?ill let you shoot my rifle.
m40a3brass.jpg

I believe its time for a set back & rechamber.... Or that "M40A3 guy" should be getting you a new Schnieder, and paying to have someone competent install it.

Yeah,as soon as im done with bedding its going to the post office back to Ohio.

shit man , then what hell do i do now?order a new barrel and have one of the guys here chamber it.I wonder if this barrel can be re-reamed by takeing the barrel off and reassembling or would this leave a loose barrel?

Jose, I just saw that brass....not good at all. Bedding jobs gone bad is one thing, but made metal work is just plain dangerous. Man this has turned into a really big mess. This smith should rethink his operation from the bottom up or quit before he fucks someone up.

Regards John,

Yeah, im not going back to the range with this thing unless its going to be the actuall TARGET.

It can easily be set back and rechambered to clean up that mess.
He should pay for a new Schnieder and installation by a competent smith.

Thats what ill do then,ill make some pms and phone calls.im keeping it here on the hide now.Thers at least four guys here that i know would do this right.

Good idea. Have them crown it correctly while they are at it.

7mmRm, only that the clip slot is hacked too, stand by for another pic, mature audiences only.....parental guidence is suggested...

Not yet, lets dig deeper .....

Jose,

Luckily that ugly ass cut out is way to high, easy fix.

I feel your hurt man
frown.gif

I wish I had a good lathe, I'd rebuild it for you just for my own satisfaction. It hurts my eyes to see such good components all hacked to bits.

-matt

Leson learned the cold hard cash way fellas.good news this thing is on its way to Louisiana now.You really cant beat the great guys here on the hide willing to help out.thanks for feeling my pain.Barreled action off to LA Precision Rifles,thanks winroscoe!

Imagine that! A shit bedding job, and now other problems? And you won't out the guy. Friend, rifles can be dangerous. They can hurt you and the others around you if they fail. You gotta out this bum, or you're just part of a bigger problem in society, which is not holding people accountable. PUBLICLY ACCOUNTABLE. Dude can then tell his story, apologize, and move on. Otherwise, he's still in the business and no one's the wiser. Like so many of the f*cks in Washington, D.C.

My pms are almost full everyone who has a rifle out getting built is scared that its their gunsmith doing this.As i dig deeper into my $3200 rifle theres much more to be desired.the shit is unsatisfactory,no doubt. Nate,i wouldnt want you or any other hide members goin thru this dilema.Ive given several clues on who he is already and the guys that pm i flat out told them.Its no longer a bid secret that DD Ross cannot build a competetive rifle.i already found other hide members who have had the same living nightmare too,never to return business to him.This sucks but my rifle sucks more than everything else right now.I wouldnt want to hear of a guy that blew his eyeballs out shooting one of his build rifles.So there it is now you know who to stay the f**k away from.

I spoke with Jose this morning and the rifles in transit should be here Thursday. The ring / groove on the case shoulder may be an easy one spin of the reamer by hand and a little polishing in the lathe. Hopefully, when the original chamber was cut the barrel was indicated in correctly (crossed fingers) and there's no run out in the chamber. Jose said the rifle was trying to shoot and other than the ring on the shoulder and one split case neck the brass looked good. I think it'll be fine, we'll see.

The crown is no big deal, I'll just touch it up a bit, it'll be GTG. I'm waiting to see the threading / chambering job though, that’s gonna be the deal maker/breaker.

I'm a shooter first and foremost like all the guys here. I hate to see a fellow shooter get hosed. Jose, I'll do the absolute best I can for you, I'll treat your rifle like it's one of mine.

Stay tuned boys and girls, photos will be a coming
wink.gif

Thanks William, i appreciate you steping up to the plate and taking on this hack job to fix.I wouldnt of though anyone would want to touch it after all the pics shown.Please post pics to show our friends here the proccess and results.thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SCB6</div><div class="ubbcode-body">4. Wrong bottom metal.
</div></div>

Who else trying to fit his own bottom metal into a stock that originally inletted for the Badger M5? DDRoss

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I spoke with Jose this morning and the rifles in transit should be here Thursday. The ring / groove on the case shoulder may be an easy one spin of the reamer by hand and a little polishing in the lathe. Hopefully, when the original chamber was cut the barrel was indicated in correctly (crossed fingers) and there's no run out in the chamber. Jose said the rifle was trying to shoot and other than the ring on the shoulder and one split case neck the brass looked good. I think it'll be fine, we'll see.

The crown is no big deal, I'll just touch it up a bit, it'll be GTG. I'm waiting to see the threading / chambering job though, that’s gonna be the deal maker/breaker.

I'm a shooter first and foremost like all the guys here. I hate to see a fellow shooter get hosed. Jose, I'll do the absolute best I can for you, I'll treat your rifle like it's one of mine.

Stay tuned boys and girls, photos will be a coming
wink.gif

</div></div>

Awesome! Glad to see members helping out other members.