• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My Rifle - Whats wrong with my groups? (Pics)

Re: My Rifle - Whats wrong with my groups? (Pics)

something is loose somewhere, even with that crappy ammo the gun should not do that. I would take everything apart and re-tighten everything back up. Start with the action screw,base to action screws, rings to base, scope to rings.

You can buy a wheeler fat wrench for $40 and it would probaly come with a bunch of extra bits. Try that. After that I am almost positive it will be a good shooter even with the bad ammo. Move to better ammo and your off and running.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jcvibby</div><div class="ubbcode-body">something is loose somewhere, even with that crappy ammo the gun should not do that. I would take everything apart and re-tighten everything back up. Start with the action screw,base to action screws, rings to base, scope to rings.

You can buy a wheeler fat wrench for $40 and it would probaly come with a bunch of extra bits. Try that. After that I am almost positive it will be a good shooter even with the bad ammo. Move to better ammo and your off and running. </div></div>

Anyone else that can agree with this? 2nd or 3rd post saying this, and im starting to agree with them, but Im not looking forward to buying a torque driver.

The base to rifle is tight. i tightened it to finger tight, then a bit more after that, lock tightened it as well.

Something is to tight/lose-I vote action screws. Get a set of Torx wrenches and loosen both action screws at the range. Hand tighten the front screw until it is good and tight (this one is most important). Tighten the back action screw with a little less torque. I did this on my rifle when I got it and the groups shrank dramatically. Good luck.<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jthoss0837</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bth87</div><div class="ubbcode-body">could be any number of the aforementioned problems or a combo of several. Check the rings to make sure they are secure, the the base to the action and possibly the action to stock all these can have the effect you saw. Barrel heating up wont cause that much dispersion in the groups. Trying match ammo probably wont hurt, My best suggestion is to just check ALL the screws on the rifle. and go from there </div></div>

everything seems 100% secure.
I mean, the rings are .0001" higher on the the left side than the right, but its next to impossible to mount them perfectly flush.

As for the ammo, i will try this first, and as for the action screws, its hard for me to take it apart, i borrowed a good torque wrench from a friend. I cant see spending 100+ $ on a tool that i'll use limited times.</div></div>

Well, I agree with JCVibby plus a few things. I would make damn sure my barrel was floated, and look at how your bi-pod is affecting the stud it is attached to. Surely by now you have checked your action screws, but if you haven't that is the definite first order of business! I have seen tons of rifles where this simple issue had people tearing their hair out, several folks to the point of embarassment when I showed them what was up!

I don't think your ammo is the BULK of the situation. I've had great results accuracy wise with power points, and it ain't shitty IMO, just basic and inexpensive--yes I reload, but it should shoot better than your results. That said, try an ammo change--or have you, I must admit I haven't read every single line of your thread....

Shoot your rifle off of some sand bags or just on a firm but padded (like a tightly rolled up towel or similar)surface up fron instead of your bi-pod, just to see what happens. I think if you have got your bases mounted to the rifle properly, than it is either the way your stock is interacting with your barrel, your recoil lug is interacting with your stock, or your bi-pod is affecting things.

I sure wouldn't start with a new stock, unless I wanted one, I would tweak the one I have. I've made some rifles shoot a hell of a lot better just by sanding out the barrel channel!

Sometimes bi-pods can be tricky to master, and I have had more than one rifle where I had to reinforce the stud attachment to give good performance with a bi-pod.

Good luck, you'll get it whipped I'm sure--hopefuly it isn't just a dog barrel, sometimes that's all you can do too!
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jthoss0837</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: balls2elwall</div><div class="ubbcode-body">it seems to me that there are alot of people telling you to invest in new stocks and better ammo money money money, as usual throwing money at it will most likely not fix your problem. that being said i own a remington 700 sps .308 i however have the sporter barrel and a nikon on cheap rings and cheap base. lets keep in mind your only shootin 100 yards. i would venture to say your most likely developing a flinch or not paying attention to your heart rate and holding your breath too deep and too long. the ONE thing i would try different is some 175 gr bthp from a good brand. so please i urge you not to throw money at this issue. </div></div>

Ive been shooting for several years.
Shot with my dads 7mm Magnum for 2-3 of those when we werent hunting. When we were hunting i was shooting a Remington 7-08. I could consistently hold 3/4"-1" groups all day long.
Under the mental overload of putting the crosshair on a deer i could still manage to think back to the fundamentals of marksmanship and control my breathing, and trigger control.
I've read up more about shooting than i have any other school literature. I've practiced probably more time dry firing with a target set up than i have with live ammo ( saving up $ for scope)
I am a confident shooter. I feel that i can place shots just fine. When I say theres something wrong, there is. <span style="color: #FF0000">Everytime the gun goes off i take a picture in my mind of what it looked like the split second the round went off. I may still have a bit of a flinch, but who doesnt? Its next to impossible to sit behind a rifle, manage the sound/recoil without blinking.</span> I control my breathing to the lowest point of the natural respiratory cycle and squeeze the trigger, I dont hold my breath half way. I follow through after the shot is long gone.
etc etc

I like to keep my money in my pocket as much as possible, so tossing money at it isnt going to be the first thing on my mind. I thought long and hard about the choice for a scope, and im damn glad i did, i was leaning on several choices, but im extremely pleased with the vortex. Im going to try some ammo and see how that works. If i dont see a drastic improvement i'll keep searching for the right solution </div></div>

OK... Did no one else see what I highlighted above? The OP gives us the answer right here... or at least most of it. This statement is NOT that of someone who knows what they're doing... It's that of someone who THINKS he knows what he's doing.

OP... YOU'RE FLINCHING!!!

You should not flinch... AT ALL. You should not blink... AT ALL. If you're not still looking through the scope after the shot goes and the target is not still in the scope (not centered up... but in there) you've probably blown the shot. Everyone does it until they have enough rounds under their belt or the proper training. There's no shame in it. Just keep shooting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oneshot onekill</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jthoss0837</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: balls2elwall</div><div class="ubbcode-body">it seems to me that there are alot of people telling you to invest in new stocks and better ammo money money money, as usual throwing money at it will most likely not fix your problem. that being said i own a remington 700 sps .308 i however have the sporter barrel and a nikon on cheap rings and cheap base. lets keep in mind your only shootin 100 yards. i would venture to say your most likely developing a flinch or not paying attention to your heart rate and holding your breath too deep and too long. the ONE thing i would try different is some 175 gr bthp from a good brand. so please i urge you not to throw money at this issue. </div></div>

Shot with my dads 7mm Magnum for 2-3 of those when we werent hunting. When we were hunting i was shooting a Remington 7-08. I could consistently hold 3/4"-1" groups all day long.
Under the mental overload of putting the crosshair on a deer i could still manage to think back to the fundamentals of marksmanship and control my breathing, and trigger control.
I've read up more about shooting than i have any other school literature. I've practiced probably more time dry firing with a target set up than i have with live ammo ( saving up $ for scope)
I am a confident shooter. I feel that i can place shots just fine. When I say theres something wrong, there is. <span style="color: #FF0000">Everytime the gun goes off i take a picture in my mind of what it looked like the split second the round went off. I may still have a bit of a flinch, but who doesnt? Its next to impossible to sit behind a rifle, manage the sound/recoil without blinking.</span> I control my breathing to the lowest point of the natural respiratory cycle and squeeze the trigger, I dont hold my breath half way. I follow through after the shot is long gone.
etc etc

I like to keep my money in my pocket as much as possible, so tossing money at it isnt going to be the first thing on my mind. I thought long and hard about the choice for a scope, and im damn glad i did, i was leaning on several choices, but im extremely pleased with the vortex. Im going to try some ammo and see how that works. If i dont see a drastic improvement i'll keep searching for the right solution </div></div>

OK... Did no one else see what I highlighted above? The OP gives us the answer right here... or at least most of it. This statement is NOT that of someone who knows what they're doing... It's that of someone who THINKS he knows what he's doing.

You should not flinch... AT ALL. You should not blink... AT ALL. If you're not still looking through the scope after the shot goes and the target is not still in the scope (not centered up... but in there) you've probably blown the shot. Everyone does it until they have enough rounds under their belt or the proper training. There's no shame in it. Just keep shooting. </div></div>

I didnt know that blinking, was considered flinching.
I was under the impression that flinching was pulling the trigger, squinting the face, closing your eyes before the gun goes off, Anticipating the recoil/bang.
Yes i do blink.
And if flinching is blinking then i have a flinch.

Guess i need to start shooting a shit ton then.
But i've let others shoot the rifle, my uncle who competes in local competitions, whom ive seen shoot a built 7mm mag and hold amazing groups, was achieving the same groups i was, on my rifle. bad. I wouldnt even consider them groups, more of a shift in zero by ~5 inches per shot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jthoss0837</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oneshot onekill</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jthoss0837</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: balls2elwall</div><div class="ubbcode-body">it seems to me that there are alot of people telling you to invest in new stocks and better ammo money money money, as usual throwing money at it will most likely not fix your problem. that being said i own a remington 700 sps .308 i however have the sporter barrel and a nikon on cheap rings and cheap base. lets keep in mind your only shootin 100 yards. i would venture to say your most likely developing a flinch or not paying attention to your heart rate and holding your breath too deep and too long. the ONE thing i would try different is some 175 gr bthp from a good brand. so please i urge you not to throw money at this issue. </div></div>

etc etc

You should not flinch... AT ALL. You should not blink... AT ALL. If you're not still looking through the scope after the shot goes and the target is not still in the scope (not centered up... but in there) you've probably blown the shot. Everyone does it until they have enough rounds under their belt or the proper training. There's no shame in it. Just keep shooting. </div></div>

I didnt know that blinking, was considered flinching.
I was under the impression that flinching was pulling the trigger, squinting the face, closing your eyes before the gun goes off, Anticipating the recoil/bang.
Yes i do blink.
And if flinching is blinking then i have a flinch.

Guess i need to start shooting a shit ton then.
But i've let others shoot the rifle, my uncle who competes in local competitions, whom ive seen shoot a built 7mm mag and hold amazing groups, was achieving the same groups i was, on my rifle. bad. I wouldnt even consider them groups, more of a shift in zero by ~5 inches per shot.
</div></div>
I hear ya man... And I posted earlier about the stock so I don't think flinching is the sole culprit here but the stuff I highlighted in your other post sent up red flags for me. You're right... Blinking is not flinching. But it sounds like you think there's an acceptable amount of flinching. I just wanted to let you know there isn't. Your rifle will become an extension of your body at some point and you will know what I'm saying. If you get a chance, watch some of the training videos here on the Hide.

It's important to remember that practice does NOT make perfect... It makes PERMANENT. In other words, if you practice something incorrectly it will be much harder to fix later. Keep shooting as much as possible but learn how to do it properly first. There's more to it than you probably realize. Good luck!

come on now..... this is just turning into a pissing match< if your not here for constructive criticism i dont have any faith in this forum. ill be careful about what i ask on the hide from now on.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jthoss0837</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I've narrowed it down to a few things, but still concerned.
1. Ammunition. <span style="color: #FF0000">Shitty Winchester .308 Power Point 150 gr.
BUT ive shot this out of my dads 7mm and it shot just fine, 3/4-1" groups at 100 yards out of a deer rifle.</span> Maybe my rifle doesnt like this ammo? But it seems as though it would group in some form or fashion.
</div></div>
Shooting .308 through your dad's 7mm? No wonder you're getting good groups out of it, that shit must have some serious velocity!
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: balls2elwall</div><div class="ubbcode-body">come on now..... this is just turning into a pissing match< if your not here for constructive criticism i dont have any faith in this forum. ill be careful about what i ask on the hide from now on. </div></div>

Im taking cc.
I was under the impression that flinch was not blinking
But since they are the same i realize i am at fault and apologize for my response earlier.
I sat down and dry fired my rifle and noticed that 6/10 times i blink when the trigger pops.

Im going to practice this and try to break this habit.
I do however control my breathing, manage my sight picture and maintain a good trigger control and follow through.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Csf45</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jthoss0837</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I've narrowed it down to a few things, but still concerned.
1. Ammunition. <span style="color: #FF0000">Shitty Winchester .308 Power Point 150 gr.
BUT ive shot this out of my dads 7mm and it shot just fine, 3/4-1" groups at 100 yards out of a deer rifle.</span> Maybe my rifle doesnt like this ammo? But it seems as though it would group in some form or fashion.
</div></div>
Shooting .308 through your dad's 7mm? No wonder you're getting good groups out of it, that shit must have some serious velocity!
laugh.gif
</div></div>

Hehehe
7mm 150gr power point out of his rifle XD

+1 on ammo. My 5r is a solid .5-.6" shooter with my handloads. With the ammo you are using it's a 3.5" gun. The ammo sucks. Get you some Gold Match and test her again. I haven't found a moa factory made hunting round yet for my 5r. That's why I handload a .5" 150SST round.

The other posters are right about not blinking. Your eye should remain open and on target throughout the trigger press as you are surprised by the shot. No pissing match here hope I helped.

looks damn good for the shit ammo lol

Hello JT,

It looks like you have a real nice set-up there.. I'm thinking, like a few others have said, the ammo might be your problem. You appear to have covered all the basics with your installation, so.
Try a few diffrent brands of ammo, 150 -165 grain variety and see what happens. I'll bet one or more will satisfy you.
I purchased a new cz 527 varmint about 4 years ago, and not wanting to reload for it, picked up a few different brands, and grains of ammo. Mounted on top is a VX2 6-18 target dot. The groups went from o.k. to outstanding. The best being federal 39 gr blitzkings.
Keep good notes, and take your time.. You will find a winner!

Better yet, reload for that piece, you will be amazed at the groups ..

Good luck,
Gam

Before upgrading our VTR stock I decided to take the cheap route with bedding compound first.
Despite reading online that it wouldn't bond to the plastic stock, it's held up fine so far, and helped the grouping dramatically. Also took a dremel to the tab supporting the barrel at the front of the stock to free-float it.

If you're not inclined to want to go to an aftermarket stock off the bat, for $15 and a couple hours of your time with a dremel you should give it a try.

I note the very loose/soft items you have loosely affixed to the cheek area in what appears to be an effort to raise the cheek. It looks as if you are a lefty. I suggest you remove the rags and assemble something with ALOT more density and TIGHTLY affixed to the stock. IMO, in addition to the ammo, stock, flinch and torque suggestions is that you may be having a hard time maintaining a consistent cheek weld.

BTW- There is a VERY sound counter to the advice in your signature <span style="font-weight: bold">There is no holy substitute for stupidity, but silence does pretty well.</span> That advice--which is seldom followed by gunguys is "It is better to remain silent and thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TangoDown911</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+1 on ammo. My 5r is a solid .5-.6" shooter with my handloads. With the ammo you are using it's a 3.5" gun. The ammo sucks. Get you some Gold Match and test her again. I haven't found a moa factory made hunting round yet for my 5r. That's why I handload a .5" 150SST round.

The other posters are right about not blinking. <span style="font-weight: bold">Your eye should remain open and on target throughout the trigger press as you are surprised by the shot. No pissing match here hope I helped.</span> </div></div>

Emphasis added above.

OP:
This is the only way you can "call the shot". Your eyes remain open through the recoil which, as tangodown said, surprises you. The recoil event for me is like taking a snapshot; what I see the instant recoil happens is where the bullet is going.

Having said that, I have a 700P that is very persnickety about what I feed it. The last time I had it at the range I shot 9 shots into 0.75" with Sierra 168s, then the exact next group was 5 shots with Scenar 155s....into 2.16". I've read that the 700P's don't like VLD bullets because the rifles have long throats. Mine has a very long throat; seating the scenars into the lands results in a ridiculously long loaded round. The ones for the test I mentioned were seated to 2.850." This was my last attempt to get the rifle to shoot the scenars.

Try ammo first (cheap test), then have a hard look at the way the stock interacts with the action and barrel. The other things you've already done (check tight actions screws, base, mounts, rings).

I have a SPS tactical that shot the 150gr just like you show. It was all the ammo I had at the time and I was pissed off that I just dropped $500 on a weapon with crazy groups like that...then I sent some Fed GMM 168 and it was shooting .5 with the org hogue stock.

my best group ever is 4 round in .5 at 200 yards with 168 A-MAX with the cheap ass org stock!!

Get a box of A-max and try it. It shoots better that FGMM in my gun but it's to much $$ to shoot all the time.

I now have a B&C tactical medalist a5 on it and I have yet to see a major improvement in my groups over the org. stock.

The B&C tactical medalist a5 is HEAVY it is not something you want to walk around the woods with at all. I'm 6'4" and needed a lot of adjustments to get my melon lined up. If it was not for that reason I would have just kept the Houge

for the $ and sub MOA groups you cant beat REM sps rifles

All shots fired with a Bushnell Yardage Pro scope (which is a supper nice scope for the $)
I can hit random clay pigeons from 350 yards to 75 yards with a 5 second laser range-Bullet drop turret adjustment-fire on each in drills

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: finbox</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a SPS tactical that shot the 150gr just like you show. It was all the ammo I had at the time and I was pissed off that I just dropped $500 on a weapon with crazy groups like that...then I sent some Fed GMM 168 and it was shooting .5 with the org hogue stock.

my best group ever is 4 round in .5 at 200 yards with 168 A-MAX with the cheap ass org stock!!

Get a box of A-max and try it. It shoots better that FGMM in my gun but it's to much $$ to shoot all the time.

I now have a B&C tactical medalist a5 on it and I have yet to see a major improvement in my groups over the org. stock.

The B&C tactical medalist a5 is HEAVY it is not something you want to walk around the woods with at all. I'm 6'4" and needed a lot of adjustments to get my melon lined up. If it was not for that reason I would have just kept the Houge

All shots fired with a Bushnell Yardage Pro scope (which is a supper nice scope for the $)
I can hit random clay pigeons from 350 yards to 75 yards with a 5 second laser range-Bullet drop turret adjustment-fire on each in drills

</div></div>

Some have said that it looks like rags, what it is, its cut/superglued mouse pads, Tightly wrapped around the stock using a cloth. Works fine, but not great, and no im not lefty, i rolled it over to take the bolt out.

I plan on getting the B&C, like you said, im 6'4" and could use an adjustable pull. Ammo will be the first thing i try out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jthoss0837</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: finbox</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a SPS tactical that shot the 150gr just like you show. It was all the ammo I had at the time and I was pissed off that I just dropped $500 on a weapon with crazy groups like that...then I sent some Fed GMM 168 and it was shooting .5 with the org hogue stock.

</div></div>

Some have said that it looks like rags, what it is, its cut/superglued mouse pads, Tightly wrapped around the stock using a cloth. Works fine, but not great, and no im not lefty, i rolled it over to take the bolt out.

I plan on getting the B&C, like you said, im 6'4" and could use an adjustable pull. Ammo will be the first thing i try out.
</div></div>

Man... you're 6'4"? That stock most likely doesn't fit you at all! I'm right at 6'6" and use all of the spacers in my McMillan and extend the stock all the way back on my HS Precision. That could be another issue. You're actually probably doing Damn good considering all you have going against you... Stock, ammo, flinch (maybe). You'll be fine once that rifle fits you the way it should.

Also, I didn't know about the little bump in the barrel channel of that stock. Hog that bitch right off of there!!! Then use sandbags positioned right in front of your action and accuracy will improve. Bipod up front is a no-go with that stock if you remove the bump.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oneshot onekill</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jthoss0837</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: finbox</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a SPS tactical that shot the 150gr just like you show. It was all the ammo I had at the time and I was pissed off that I just dropped $500 on a weapon with crazy groups like that...then I sent some Fed GMM 168 and it was shooting .5 with the org hogue stock.

</div></div>

</div></div>

Man... you're 6'4"? That stock most likely doesn't fit you at all! I'm right at 6'6" and use all of the spacers in my McMillan and extend the stock all the way back on my HS Precision. That could be another issue. You're actually probably doing Damn good considering all you have going against you... Stock, ammo, flinch (maybe). You'll be fine once that rifle fits you the way it should.

Also, I didn't know about the little bump in the barrel channel of that stock. Hog that bitch right off of there!!! Then use sandbags positioned right in front of your action and accuracy will improve. Bipod up front is a no-go with that stock if you remove the bump. </div></div>

headed sat. to the range with my uncle. I'll shoot prone or bench rest using bags in front of the action, and either Hornady A-Max match 168gr, or black hills 168gr. We will both shoot it and get some results hopefully.
If the gun is still spreading out shots i'll look into taking it apart and re torquing all of the screws.

And what exactly do you mean by bump? The fat fore end of the stock?

I had the same problem as well stock and ammo mostly stock. I use millet base leapold rings and barska scope and even the cheap glass my groups are half that at 100 yrds, the best think u can do is swap the stock, the stock contacts the barrel in a few places and even worse when it warms up. B&C if ur on a budget!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jthoss0837</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oneshot onekill</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jthoss0837</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: finbox</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a SPS tactical that shot the 150gr just like you show. It was all the ammo I had at the time and I was pissed off that I just dropped $500 on a weapon with crazy groups like that...then I sent some Fed GMM 168 and it was shooting .5 with the org hogue stock.

</div></div>

</div></div>

Also, I didn't know about the little bump in the barrel channel of that stock. Hog that bitch right off of there!!! Then use sandbags positioned right in front of your action and accuracy will improve. Bipod up front is a no-go with that stock if you remove the bump. </div></div>

headed sat. to the range with my uncle. I'll shoot prone or bench rest using bags in front of the action, and either Hornady A-Max match 168gr, or black hills 168gr. We will both shoot it and get some results hopefully.
If the gun is still spreading out shots i'll look into taking it apart and re torquing all of the screws.

And what exactly do you mean by bump? The fat fore end of the stock? </div></div>

If you look inside the barrel channel, you should see some small bumps at the very front of the stock that cradle the underside of the barrel. These are putting pressure onto the barrel - you can cut them off and relieve the stock under the barrel to free float it, but the problem you're going to run into is that the stock material itself is so flexible that putting pressure onto the bipod will flex the stock into contact with the side of the barrel.

Just get a new stock...

I have had the exact same experience myself - same rifle, same ammo. Different scope, but similar results.

My handloads were MUCH better but still not perfect. I'm told "it's the stock," and I'd have to agree with it because it's what everybody else is also saying.

You take 2MOA ammo and run that through a 2MOA rifle and what do you get? I'm betting on inaccurate ammunition and the cheap, flimsy stock touching all the wrong places.

Get the right tools and make sure everything is tightened up to proper specs.......you can find proper torque specs on google or use the search function here. You said you have the ammo ordered already. Shoot that and see if it is still wandering. If it is, free float the barrel and see what you get. If it helps, go ahead and spend the money on a new stock.

Throwing money at the problem is exactly what you do when your problem is bad components and you want it to perform good. 90% of SPS's are restocked before the first round is sent down the barrel, because most people know the stock is shit and don't waste time/money on it.

Get the fasteners torqued correctly, run the match ammo through it and see where you are at. Probably a good idea to restock it anyway, unless you are attached to that SPS-V stock for some reason. I seriously doubt your shooting habits are to blame for bad accuracy as I've seen some shooters with bad fundamentals and a flinch manage a 2-3" group on a regular basis lol!

Let us know what you have done and if it has helped.

Kelly

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jthoss0837</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

I'm not even 6' and the factory stock on my 700P was wayyyyyyy too short for me, I fit a Tubb adjustable butt to it to make it work for me until I could get something else. I need 14.5" LOP. I consider LOP to be the most important part of stock fit. I have long arms for my height. For me, if LOP is wrong I cannot pull the butt in correctly (I use a lot of arm/bicep tension into my shoulder and the angle is totally wrong if LOP is too short), my face is too far forward (Garand nose), I try to screw my face onto the rifle in some gawdawful unnatural and uncomfortable position, and if I am fighting the rifle I shoot like crap. You really can be comfortable on a rifle, it took me forever to figure it out for myself (hard headed) but you have to fit the rifle to you, not the other way around. I experimented with stock fit for months, lots of dry firing and range sessions, and I am so pleased with the results.

JThoss0837, have you tried the new ammo yet? i'm itchin to see your new groups.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fastbs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">JThoss0837, have you tried the new ammo yet? i'm itchin to see your new groups. </div></div>

Going to pick up some Hornady 168gr A-Max in a couple of minutes, Headed to the range on saturday. Will post up pics!

Re: My Rifle - UPDATED 12-11-10 (Pics)

So i got to the range today with my uncle, Match ammo in hand, Bipod off the rifle.
We got to the range, set up the shooting bench. Tripod rest with sandbag sitting just in front of the bottom metal. Sandbags and rear bag set up. Started at 50 yards to get a feel for what might be happening. 1st group ( bottom Left Target) Winchester Power Point 150gr. Was pleased with that, considering the previous. Only thing i had changed was the position of the rest, instead of using a bipod i was using the tripod infront of the bottom metal.
Switched over to the Hornady A-MAX Match 168gr, and shot the 2nd group (bottom right target) First hits were landing 1/2 inch to the right, corrected, and shot that group ( Shooter error? Maybe a little horizontal shift [1/8th of an inch?] caused by the 5lb trigger.) SO we moved the target back to 100 yards, i took a quick break and dry fired a few times, no flinch (been working on that for the past week +). First two shots are the two bullseyes on the top left target. I was feeling great! Match ammo + Different rest position, obviously that was the problem right? No...Shot a few more, felt great about them followed the fundamentals, sight picture, trigger, breathing, follow through, parallax etc. Everything was perfect. The shots (still top left target) started drifting right. My uncle argued that it was me, and i was pulling. I said fine, you try it. He gets on the gun and shoots the top right target group. Could be argued that its acceptable for 2moa Hunting ammo, but i wasnt convinced since i just saw that ammo capable of >1inch groups at 100 yards. So he takes a quick break, dry fires to make sure its not him. He then shoots at the corner targets, and the POI had shifted at least 5 inches, to 8 inches in some cases.
Heres some photo's i took and labeled to make it (hopefully) easier to understand.

12-11-102.jpg

12-11-10.jpg

So i talked to a guy at the range, He said with the horizontal shift its a bit extreme, but he believes its the flimsy stock contacting the barrel, and when the barrel becomes warm, it changes your POI. He recommended getting a rod that matches the diameter of my barrel, removing the gun from the stock, checking all screws for proper torque. Coat the rod with rubber cement and get some 80grit sand paper and secure around the rod. Then run the rod in the stock a bit to remove the contacting points. Or just upgrade the stock to a Aluminum bedded stock, and have a smith bed it to the rifle.

I cant, and refuse to believe that its me, Shooter error bringing the rifle 7 inches off POA. I plan on calling remington to see if this is an issue with the rifle. I doubt i will get anywhere with that, because they will most likely say that the only way to find out is to send them the rifle, in which they will shoot it 3 times get the same results i got, and send it back. I plan on getting a new stock soon, though i plan on removing the rifle from the current stock, and checking the torque on all of the screws.

Anyone else have some ideas on free floating the barrel, or any other ideas. Obviously ammo isnt the issue, Shooter error may be 5% of the issue, and the rest isnt the issue. The stock is probably the issue, and im beginning to believe that the action screws may be playing a part.

I am somewhat dissapointed. Murpheys law, if it can go wrong it will, and I always seem to get the lemon of the bunch.

/edit: All of these shots were taken without serious barrel cool down, so i think the heat of the barrel (which wasnt much) may play a role in the stock/barrel issue?

my bet is stock because its constantly getting worse. if it were anything else it would be more spiratic in my HUMBLE opinion

Did you ever get your hands on a torque wrench and check ALL of the fasteners to make sure they are tightened down to the correct specs? That includes the scope base to receiver, rings to base, ring caps, and action screws. If you borrow the torque wrench from a buddy, it is essentially free and would take about 10 minutes to find the torque specs and check them to make sure that is what they are set at.

After making sure everything is torqued down properly, find out where the barrel is touching the stock. Use your normal shooting position and figure out where the stock forearm is touching the barrel. You can use just about anything the right size and round, with some sandpaper wrapped around it to knock down those spots. Sand a little bit and check. Repeat until the barrel is free floated from the recoil lug forward.

After those problems are taken care of, IF it doesn't shoot better for you or anybody else that shoots it, then I'd imagine it is a quality problem. Only test it with good quality ammo too, don't waste time and get frustrated by chasing down the solution to the problem only to skew your results with less than stellar ammo.

Kelly

Quick question how rapid were these shots taken. I've never had this problem with my 700P and shot it pretty quickly. I don't know what's happening there if the torque is right. The last things would be the stock messing with the vibrations or it passed quality control which it shouldn't have.

These shots were taken in a casual manner, took my time between shots, went over the check list and felt 100% about every shot. We never stopped to let the barrel cool down, and fired about 30 shots. With the temperature being 40~ degrees Fahrenheit outside, and the heavy barrel it didnt heat up much past id say 70 degrees to the touch.
As for the torquing, I havent had an opportunity to get my hands on one as of yet. The rings and rings to base are torqued to spec. The Base to receiver were torqued without a driver, but were tightened to finger tight, then a little bit more and had lock tight put on each screw. I plan on taking it out of the stock soon and re torquing everything and possibly sanding down the contact points in the stock. I do however plan on getting a new stock for the rifle anyways in the near future.

i took a quick break and dry fired a few times, no flinch (been working on that for the past week +).</div></div>

I'm not saying this is actually your problem, but a little bit of constructive criticism. It is very easy not to flinch when you know the gun isn't going off.

If you want to properly diagnose a flinching issue, you should purchase or fabricate a dummy round and have another shooter load your magazine in a random order with live rounds and the dummy round. Operate the bolt without looking at the cartridges and shoot the full magazine. This way, when you get to the dummy round and the gun DOESN'T go off, you will pull the trigger exactly the same way as you would with a live round in the chamber and you will actually be able to tell whether and how you are flinching.

This is an especially valuable practice in pistol training where flinch or recoil anticipation has an even greater effect on accuracy but it is helpful for rifle shooting as well.

I'd say purchase it now and save yourself the hassle lol

get a new stock already! It will cure the problem. Get rid of that flimsy plastic crap.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 8up</div><div class="ubbcode-body">get a new stock already! It will cure the problem. Get rid of that flimsy plastic crap. </div></div>

Being a younger guy and with an average 12th grade job its difficult to get a ton of money up. I just took a big hit with the scope, and the stock will have to wait :mad:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: maladat</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jthoss0837</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
i took a quick break and dry fired a few times, no flinch (been working on that for the past week +).</div></div>

I'm not saying this is actually your problem, but a little bit of constructive criticism. It is very easy not to flinch when you know the gun isn't going off.

If you want to properly diagnose a flinching issue, you should purchase or fabricate a dummy round and have another shooter load your magazine in a random order with live rounds and the dummy round. Operate the bolt without looking at the cartridges and shoot the full magazine. This way, when you get to the dummy round and the gun DOESN'T go off, you will pull the trigger exactly the same way as you would with a live round in the chamber and you will actually be able to tell whether and how you are flinching.

This is an especially valuable practice in pistol training where flinch or recoil anticipation has an even greater effect on accuracy but it is helpful for rifle shooting as well. </div></div>

I agree, but the dry fire practice has helped, Ill get a buddy to nerf a .308 round or two for me.

the rifle used in these is sps varmint 308 in a b&c a3 light tactical shooting 168gr amax prone off a bipod and wadded up towel for a rear bag.

100yd & 200yd
DSC00001.jpg

the bottom right bullseye is 100 yd 5 shot i think this was with the plastic stock but i'm not sure. top right of same target is core lokt or power points don't remember. 2 at top mid is amax aiming there
200ydtarget.jpg

300 yd one shot is 4" right which i know i flinched. thought i had a a couple more 300 yd groups in photobucket that came out to about 2.5"-3" but i guess i've lost them.
300yd.jpg

when i go to 500yd i'm all over the place so i'm workin on that now.

with the plastic stock i was getting .75"-1" groups with the amax off a bipod prone but then each gun's going to be different.

since you have been shooting a while you know if you flinched before looking at the target so this leads me to think something else aint right. hard for me to think that just the stock on that setup is throwing you off that far but many guys here know a lot more about this stuff than i do.

After you grind down those bumps in the barrel channel that contact the barrel get a dowel rod that just fits or is slightly larger than the barrel channel. Wrap sand paper around the dowel. Take the barreled action out of the stock and sand the livin' shit outa' that barrel channel in front of the lug. Try to make it even but get yourself a good 1/8" to 3/16" of space between the barrel and the stock. You're going to most likely replace it anyway so don't be afraid to hog out a bunch of fore-end so there's plenty of space between the barrel and the stock. It won't look bad as long as it's pretty even all the way around. That'll take care of the free-floating question. Then do as mentioned above and get a dummy round to check for flinch. If you can, have someone else fire it too... Besides those that already have. You'll get it figured out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oneshot onekill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">After you grind down those bumps in the barrel channel that contact the barrel get a dowel rod that just fits or is slightly larger than the barrel channel. Wrap sand paper around the dowel. Take the barreled action out of the stock and sand the livin' shit outa' that barrel channel in front of the lug. Try to make it even but get yourself a good 1/8" to 3/16" of space between the barrel and the stock. You're going to most likely replace it anyway so don't be afraid to hog out a bunch of fore-end so there's plenty of space between the barrel and the stock. It won't look bad as long as it's pretty even all the way around. That'll take care of the free-floating question. Then do as mentioned above and get a dummy round to check for flinch. If you can, have someone else fire it too... Besides those that already have. You'll get it figured out. </div></div>

Honestly i dont think my "flinch" is that bad. It doesnt help that shooting from a bench, being 6'4" - 6'5", isnt the easiest thing to do, trying to maintain good sight picture and being straight back behind the rifle. Anyways i'll have a few dumb rounds loaded up and do the above drill to help me out.

FWIW.........

If that were my rifle I'd first make damn sure I had a clean barrel to start with, yeah I know you said you cleaned it, but I didn't. I'd then adjust that trigger you first said was 3 pounds, IIRC, then said later was 5 pounds, either way it's too heavy for me. I'd bed the action and free float the barrel (get rid of the factory pressure point in the process), BT/DT on shitty stocks like yours and it does work until a better stock can be had. If the forearm is too weak for a bipod then stiffen it. I torque my action screws to 50 inch pounds front and back on a bedded action.

I would then check to see if the mag well was floating (loose) in the stock. If it is binding tight on the action/bottom metal then it will play hell with "groups". I've had to fix this on EVERY 700 I have ever owned, and a couple of Rugers. To make it float requires the intelligent use of a bench mounted belt sander to sand down the bottom of the well a little at a time to allow it to "float" between the action and the bottom metal. Easily done unless you are a hopeless idiot, all you need is a slight amount of looseness. Not rattle loose, just free to wiggle around. The point is not to make a loose mag well for the sake of a loose mag well, it is to ensure it is not binding/bowing the action.

After all that is done I would bed the base to the receiver and torque to spec with an actual torque wrench this time. I'd then mount the ring lowers making sure I pushed them all the way forward in the slot. I'd torque them to what burris says to use but go only about 10 inch pounds past the minimum, I go to 75 on the XTR's. Then with a lapping bar check to see how well they are aligned. If poorly, and a re-mount/re-torque doesn't fix it then lap for at least an 80% contact on the lowers, 95% is better.

I'd then mount a PROVEN/KNOWN scope that TRACKS, (not one that I think is ok because it's cool as shit), and torque the ring tops to the spec., 20 inch pounds. I'd torque in a criss-cross pattern with the same concept that lug nuts are installed on a vehicle. You will find that, especially with six screws, the last one you torqued will be made loose again with the next one. It's not torqued correctly unless all six screws trip the torque driver in the criss-cross pattern.

This takes a few minutes but is the right way to do it on the ring tops. Use a feeler gage to set the XTR ring tops even on both sides before starting to torque and set the screws to lightly snug with a hand driver, as you torque they should then come down evenly if you criss-cross. Start your torque process 10 inch pounds light and torque them ALL to that setting in a criss-cross doing each screw several times before moving up in torque. Then move up 5 inch pounds and torque them all to 15 in a criss-cross, repeat again until you reach the correct 20 inch pound spec.

This is all before I have fired the rifle even one time.....

A better stock is not a bad idea, but not necessary at this point if the current one is bedded and floated. Just went through this with my son's Ruger 77 .308 and its' shitty plastic stock.

I would also shit can the stock riser you made up, can't possibly imagine a proper cheek weld with that mess on there....just MY opinion tho'.

Never assume you are a gooder shot than the rifle itself is, even the best of the best pull a shot now and again whether they admit it or not. I'm guessing that I'm likely a minimum of 25 years, and who knows how many thousands of rounds ahead of you in shooting experience (I've got a JD bottle darn near full of spent primers from just this year), and I'll be the first to admit that I still blow shots once in a while.

Never assume that one certain brand of ammo being good in another rifle/chambering will work also in yours to the same results. When you finally realize EACH rifle is an individual then you will begin to understand this sort of rifle stuff.

All this said keep in mind that the very same winchester power point ammo will do .5 MOA @ 100, 1 MOA @ 200, and 1.5 MOA at 300 out of my kids' Ruger 77. Not the best that rifle can do but it's better than you are doing with yours...which goes to show it's not always the ammo as most have said here.

Just my two and a half cents worth.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tripwire</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
All this said keep in mind that the very same winchester power point ammo will do .5 MOA @ 100, 1 MOA @ 200, and 1.5 MOA at 300 out of my kids' Ruger 77. Not the best that rifle can do but it's better than you are doing with yours...which goes to show it's not always the ammo as most have said here.

Just my two and a half cents worth..... </div></div>

Um, hold up just a minute, my popcorn is done. Let me go grab it...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tripwire</div><div class="ubbcode-body">FWIW.........

If that were my rifle I'd first make damn sure I had a clean barrel to start with, yeah I know you said you cleaned it, but I didn't. I'd then adjust that trigger you first said was 3 pounds, IIRC, then said later was 5 pounds, either way it's too heavy for me. I'd bed the action and free float the barrel (get rid of the factory pressure point in the process), BT/DT on shitty stocks like yours and it does work until a better stock can be had. If the forearm is too weak for a bipod then stiffen it. I torque my action screws to 50 inch pounds front and back on a bedded action.

I would then check to see if the mag well was floating (loose) in the stock. If it is binding tight on the action/bottom metal then it will play hell with "groups". I've had to fix this on EVERY 700 I have ever owned, and a couple of Rugers. To make it float requires the intelligent use of a bench mounted belt sander to sand down the bottom of the well a little at a time to allow it to "float" between the action and the bottom metal. Easily done unless you are a hopeless idiot, all you need is a slight amount of looseness. Not rattle loose, just free to wiggle around. The point is not to make a loose mag well for the sake of a loose mag well, it is to ensure it is not binding/bowing the action.

After all that is done I would bed the base to the receiver and torque to spec with an actual torque wrench this time. I'd then mount the ring lowers making sure I pushed them all the way forward in the slot. I'd torque them to what burris says to use but go only about 10 inch pounds past the minimum, I go to 75 on the XTR's. Then with a lapping bar check to see how well they are aligned. If poorly, and a re-mount/re-torque doesn't fix it then lap for at least an 80% contact on the lowers, 95% is better.

I'd then mount a PROVEN/KNOWN scope that TRACKS, (not one that I think is ok because it's cool as shit), and torque the ring tops to the spec., 20 inch pounds. I'd torque in a criss-cross pattern with the same concept that lug nuts are installed on a vehicle. You will find that, especially with six screws, the last one you torqued will be made loose again with the next one. It's not torqued correctly unless all six screws trip the torque driver in the criss-cross pattern.

This takes a few minutes but is the right way to do it on the ring tops. Use a feeler gage to set the XTR ring tops even on both sides before starting to torque and set the screws to lightly snug with a hand driver, as you torque they should then come down evenly if you criss-cross. Start your torque process 10 inch pounds light and torque them ALL to that setting in a criss-cross doing each screw several times before moving up in torque. Then move up 5 inch pounds and torque them all to 15 in a criss-cross, repeat again until you reach the correct 20 inch pound spec.

This is all before I have fired the rifle even one time.....

A better stock is not a bad idea, but not necessary at this point if the current one is bedded and floated. Just went through this with my son's Ruger 77 .308 and its' shitty plastic stock.

I would also shit can the stock riser you made up, can't possibly imagine a proper cheek weld with that mess on there....just MY opinion tho'.

Never assume you are a gooder shot than the rifle itself is, even the best of the best pull a shot now and again whether they admit it or not. I'm guessing that I'm likely a minimum of 25 years, and who knows how many thousands of rounds ahead of you in shooting experience (I've got a JD bottle darn near full of spent primers from just this year), and I'll be the first to admit that I still blow shots once in a while.

Never assume that one certain brand of ammo being good in another rifle/chambering will work also in yours to the same results. When you finally realize EACH rifle is an individual then you will begin to understand this sort of rifle stuff.

Well how big of a factor does torquing the base have to do with it? All of our rifles previous to mine never saw a torque driver/wrench. My dads 7mm Mag still shoots 1/4 inch or so groups with reloads at 100 yards. My uncle's rifle, he never used a torque driver/wrench, even with the stock, he just put a stripe of paint on the screw lining up with the stock, And counted backwards. Anyways. I've felt 50 inch pounds, and its pretty damn tight. I tightened the base to a sturdy tight, but didnt over torque it. could this seriously effect the results? Also, the amount of effort that you are describing with the shitty stock, Whats the point of doing all of that when i plan on getting a new stock anyways within the near future. I didnt just pick out the first scope i found because its cool as shit, i did a ton of research, on a decent scope within my budget and found what ive so far seen as a great scope.

eh. Like ive said previously im going to either buy or get ahold of a torque driver and remount everything but the base, because honestly i dont see it as the problem, idk maybe im wrong about that.

Sorry kid, I can't help you with your real problem.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tripwire</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sorry kid, I can't help you with your real problem..... </div></div>

Go ahead?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Swan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tripwire</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Um, hold up just a minute, my popcorn is done. Let me go grab it... </div></div>

You should know someone will always come up with a contradiction to everything...unfortunately this time, it's me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jthoss0837</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tripwire</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sorry kid, I can't help you with your real problem..... </div></div>

Go ahead? </div></div>

Exactly......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tripwire</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jthoss0837</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tripwire</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sorry kid, I can't help you with your real problem..... </div></div>

Go ahead? </div></div>

Exactly...... </div></div>

I meant explain what you're talking about.
Making vague comments isnt very helpful. I've just started diving into the technical side of things. I tried to ask you if torquing the base down to the exact spec is absolutely necessary

/e
And this "alot better than what you're doing with it"
True that some rifles dont like some ammo vs others.
But im sitting here looking at a 1Moa target that i shot this very day with the powerpoints.

But I dont see how the base not being torqued to exact specs could throw what was 1/4" groups with match ammo seven inches to the right?