• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My Rifle - Whats wrong with my groups? (Pics)

Re: My Rifle - Whats wrong with my groups? (Pics)

Fun thread . . .

Looks like stock + ammo is the final answer.

Glad you got your problem worked out (mostly).

Remington (of course) makes no accuracy guarantee -- on that rifle, at least. So good 3 shot groups and they were done with you.

Would be a nice rifle for an M40A3 build . . . . .
grin.gif

BMT

Thanks for getting back on this and good luck with getting this ironed out.

You're very lucky to have access to a trainer with that kind of skill. I'm jealous. LOL

Seekers

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bmt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Fun thread . . .

Looks like stock + ammo is the final answer.

Glad you got your problem worked out (mostly).

Remington (of course) makes no accuracy guarantee -- on that rifle, at least. So good 3 shot groups and they were done with you.

Would be a nice rifle for an M40A3 build . . . . .
grin.gif

BMT

</div></div>

When money permits my friend, when money permits.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Seekers</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for getting back on this and good luck with getting this ironed out.

You're very lucky to have access to a trainer with that kind of skill. I'm jealous. LOL

Seekers </div></div>

He's not the kind of person who gloats about it, or has something to prove. Hes a very smart man, very humble, and is willing to teach if im willing to learn, which i am.
laugh.gif
I am very very lucky

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eleaf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are you sure there isn't a problem with the actuator of the rifle? </div></div>

Im going to refrain from "defending" myself for the 10th time in this thread.
Read the whole thing.

Talked to my gunsmith today and the problem was a combination of the action screw slots on the stock being too big for the screws, causing wiggle in the action/stock.
Non free floated barrel and the action not being bedded.

3 weeks later he calls me and says the bedding compound didnt stick in the stock..........................................

So im back to the waiting game. 8 months have gone by and only 100 rounds have been fired, all in utter disappointment. Im going to save up a little change and get a Bell and Carlson Tactical Medalist A5 style stock and maybe sell the plastic stock. Very irritated
mad.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">3 weeks later he calls me and says the bedding compound didnt stick in the stock</div></div>

I'd be questioning his abilities if he can't do a bedding right.

If you get the opportunity, check out the B/C A5 first. Very nice stock but HEAVY!

Might not be the stock you want to carry around a lot. OK, if you will just be at the range though.

Also as a side, if you do get one the stock receiver screws were too long on mine and needed to be shortened about 2 threads. Otherwise it completely locked when torqued to 65 inch pounds (non-bedded)

I did end up selling my A5 and going with the Medalist Tactical/Varmint mdl 2092-02 for $200. (no adjustments)

Hang in there, this too will pass.

Seekers

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Seekers</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">3 weeks later he calls me and says the bedding compound didnt stick in the stock</div></div>

I'd be questioning his abilities if he can't do a bedding right.

If you get the opportunity, check out the B/C A5 first. Very nice stock but HEAVY!

Might not be the stock you want to carry around a lot. OK, if you will just be at the range though.

Also as a side, if you do get one the stock receiver screws were too long on mine and needed to be shortened about 2 threads. Otherwise it completely locked when torqued to 65 inch pounds (non-bedded)

I did end up selling my A5 and going with the Medalist Tactical/Varmint mdl 2092-02 for $200. (no adjustments)

Hang in there, this too will pass.

Seekers </div></div>

How do you like the A2 style w/ no adjustments?
Im a tall guy with a long length of pull and was thinking the adjustments would help, the cheek rest isn't a huge issue because i can always figure something out. Weight isnt a huge problem, i was wanting to do some alternate shooting with it other than just plopping it on the bench.
I doubt i can get my hands on the stock before hand.

The gunsmith is very reputable around our area, he is the go to guy at the gun club and has done bedding jobs for my uncle that came out flawlessly, on a fiberglass stock

I liked the A2 since I didn't need the cheek adj either and it is a lot lighter. LOP is right at 13.5 on my 5R which is great for me.

Rifle, stock, egw 20moa base, Burris ETR low rings, No mag in CDI DBM, WEIGHT 7.5 Pounds on bathroom scale (twice) NO SCOPE

The lines on this stock seem a little harsh. Like they could be sanded or rounded a little. Otherwise shoots well.

I've had some scope problems and haven't been able to shoot a lot out of this but have lots of dry fire practice and am happy with it so far.

Seekers

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Seekers</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I liked the A2 since I didn't need the cheek adj either and it is a lot lighter. LOP is right at 13.5 on my 5R which is great for me.

Rifle, stock, egw 20moa base, Burris ETR low rings, No mag in CDI DBM, WEIGHT 7.5 Pounds on bathroom scale (twice) NO SCOPE

The lines on this stock seem a little harsh. Like they could be sanded or rounded a little. Otherwise shoots well.

I've had some scope problems and haven't been able to shoot a lot out of this but have lots of dry fire practice and am happy with it so far.

Seekers </div></div>

Im trying to decide if its worth the wait and the cost to bite the bullet and get the AICS. Buy once cry once?!

hmm

Do a search and talk to some of the guys that have them. I thought I heard that they were not big guy friendly.

I hope I'm wrong though,

on edit: Don't know if that was big: Tall or Big

Seekers

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Seekers</div><div class="ubbcode-body">thread on aics stock (like or not)

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2458989&page=1 </div></div>

Thanks,
I love the look, It has everything i want in a stock at a price that beats out Mcm or Manners with the same features.
Even the B&C after getting a DBM and inletting would be close enough to the price. Bad thing i have no idea where to go around here to handle one.

My uncle was telling me theres a guy at the gun club selling an AIAW .338 thats all shebanged out for an outrageous sum of money, but idk if he still has it

Tighten all screws you can. Let someone else shoot your gun. Use other ammo and see what happens.

Try Federal Blue Box as is the best factory ammo for me, unless in a Lapua and then get it from them in Finland. Reloads are the only thing I've found better than Federal blue box.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oregon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tighten all screws you can. Let someone else shoot your gun. Use other ammo and see what happens.

Try Federal Blue Box as is the best factory ammo for me, unless in a Lapua and then get it from them in Finland. Reloads are the only thing I've found better than Federal blue box. </div></div>

Read the whole post before you comment please

Back in my hands with a nice crisp 2-3 lb trigger, and a free floating barrel/pillar bedded stock.

104kvw2.jpg

As soon as i get some free time off work and some ammo i'll give a range report.

Also, big shout out to the folks over at KRG, the bolt lift is great!!
grin.gif

Nice, good luck at the range!

And more info on that bolt knob when you get a chance...

Seekers

RANGE REPORT 4/14/2011
The flimsy stock has to go, the rifle can perform with it, but i love my bipod, and would like to keep using it. When i use the bipod the whole front of the stock touches. Also i believe with the minimal work done to this rifle, trigger, pillars, free floating. Has improved it alot. If i was perfect i wouldnt put it past the rifle to shoot 1/4 to 1/2 groups consistently with reloads. Today just hit the 150 round mark with the rifle..crazy that ive had it this long, been in and out of my hands and waiting for the funds to build it (HS Student). I kept trying to force myself to remember the fundamentals, i checked all aspects of the scope before shooting. Made sure i had a good Nat. POA, good breathing, and tried my damndest to get good trigger control, still need to work on that.
Anyways im happy so far!

Had to shoot off the car, using bags. Bipod on this stock is counter productive.
v30emu.jpg

k1eu76.jpg

Sight in:
2144gzt.jpg

1st 5 shot group
Pulled the first shot pretty hard to the right.
2075lb5.jpg

2nd 5 shot group
jskocy.jpg

Ammunition: Black hills 168gr BTHP
34pxj47.jpg

Previous groups..i see an improvement.
12060016312.jpg

And I don't see any fliers after 10 rounds or so!

Nice shooting, big improvement over those other groups.

Is some of this improvement do to the coaching you received?

Thanks for the update,

Seekers

Thanks seekers. I havent had a chance to get together with Steve yet. Everything was from either the hide, or previous knowledge.
And dry firing.

Nice JT! Glad to see it's working out for ya.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _Shay_ ©</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice JT! Glad to see it's working out for ya. </div></div>

Thanks

Much better! HS precision is next, or did you decide to go all out MCM, Manners, AICS? Another cheap option is to find a takeoff laminate stock. It would be way stiffer than the plastic one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mnshortdraw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Much better! HS precision is next, or did you decide to go all out MCM, Manners, AICS? Another cheap option is to find a takeoff laminate stock. It would be way stiffer than the plastic one. </div></div>

Nah im going the B&C A2 stock route

Going to do what others have done and sand down that surfboard fore end.
Not my rifle, but i plan on getting a adjustable cheek piece
Rem700_5.jpg

Also, i was tossing around in my head, painting the turrets of my scope, not the actual turrets but the base, where its all golden and shiny. Not that it really matters, its just irritating to me, and probably the only gripe i have with the scope. Is it difficult to go about doing it? Is there a better route than just tape and a brush or spraygun? The threads would have to be painted too, wouldnt that wear off or would the right paint stick on.
Usual prep that goes into painting?

0063.jpg

Been a while since i updated this thread, and as i was reading through it i figured id give the latest on the rifle.

I bit the bullet, and bought an AICS from a guy here on the hide for a great deal, i couldnt pass it up. Im beyond pleased.
photo10.jpg

rifle-3.jpg

photo7.jpg

target.jpg

And my friends rifle over at his house before shooting
AICS.jpg

Its what ive wanted in my invisions of the rifle. Easy cheek weld, strainless positioning, free floated etc etc etc. Shot with 168gr FGMM, groups at 100 yards. Now i took it out and shot 300 yards and saw how huge the minor mistakes are magnified, even at only 300. Group came out to .79 MOA at 300. Much improvement needed, but hey, its still >1MOA so i still grinning
300yardgroup.jpg

The trigger is acting up a little, probably going to get a timney when i get around to it.

I guess i should apologize for the answers being right infront of me, yet still avoiding it in hopes of a cheaper, and easier route. When really, it was a harder route that i took.

Congrats on a great shooting stick!

It's all part of the journey and learning. Sounds like you're doing that,

Good luck,

Seekers

See, we told you it was the stock!
smile.gif

As far as the trigger goes, I have found that if an x mark or x mark pro is set for no less than 3lbs, they do serviceable work.

Local smith recommends the shilen trigger over the timney and rifle basix.

If you are so inclined, pull the action out of the stock and flush the trigger with cigarette lighter fluid, allow it to dry completely and lube with a very light oil like REM Oil or 3 in 1.

It MIGHT help.

Finally shooting properly. The stock makes a huge difference as you can see. Isn't it much more fun to shoot an accurate rifle?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mnshortdraw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Finally shooting properly. The stock makes a huge difference as you can see. Isn't it much more fun to shoot an accurate rifle? </div></div>

Absolutely im all smiles while shooting it

Nice shooting but Winchester ammo sucks use Hornady Match 168g .308 . I ran some tests on ammo and grains and Hornady works the best.

i<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wreck</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice shooting but Winchester ammo sucks use Hornady Match 168g .308 . I ran some tests on ammo and grains and Hornady works the best. </div></div>

ive used the Hornady, but now im using FGMM 168gr, its cheaper and is pretty much on par if not better than hornady

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wreck</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice shooting but Winchester ammo sucks use Hornady Match 168g .308 . I ran some tests on ammo and grains and Hornady works the best. </div></div>

For your rifle maybe, but every rifle is different and what works for you may not work for him.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jthoss0837</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Been a while since i updated this thread, and as i was reading through it i figured id give the latest on the rifle.

I bit the bullet, and bought an AICS from a guy here on the hide for a great deal, i couldnt pass it up. Im beyond pleased.
</div></div>

Glad to see that you finally got set up with an AICS, and that it's helped solve your problems. Plenty of people early in this thread got caught up on the idea that "the shooter is always the problem". Those Remington stocks are junk, and fighting it was a losing battle from day one, unfortunately. I feel at least a bit vindicated - on occasion a vague clue has been known to strike me.
wink.gif

Been working with a cousin of mine with three of his rifles, a .257 Roberts, .270 Win., and 30-06 to get him grouping good. Talking about a nighmare of bullet sellections for his rifles !!!

It is quite interesting how different bullets fly from different rifles.

Just takes a little time, patience and a lot of shooting.

Holy Crap,
What an improvement. Congrats.. looks like money well spent.