• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

My Tikka Project Is Done (after nearly 18 months)!

Joop

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 29, 2011
MN
My stock finally came, today. If you would have asked me yesterday if I thought it was worth the wait, I'm not sure how I would have answered. Today, however, I think it certainly was.

This project started out as a Tikka T3 Sporter in 6.5x55. I actually liked the way that the OEM stock fit me. However, the color left something to be desired. I could have probably even lived with that, but the one thing that I really didn't like about it was the way that the magazine was recessed so far up into the wood. It was a pain to reach up in there to find the release and to seat the somewhat short OEM magazines. While I was still saving up for the right scope, I decided I was going to switch stocks and bottom metal and then this "new gun" turned into a "project". Here's a rundown of everything:

Rifle: Tikka T3 Sporter in 6.5x55 w/24" barrel.

Scope: Bushnell Tactical Elite ERS 3.5-21x50 w/G2DMR reticle. I have to give a shout out to Scott at Liberty Optics on this one. He sold me his dealer sample at a great price. Not only that, in speaking with him through PMs, emails and on the phone, I got the impression that this gentleman is well liked for a reason. He's just great to deal with, in every possible way. Thanks, Scott!

Base/Rings: The base is the EGW HD 20 MOA and the rings are Seekins 34mm high, 4 screws. I've had good luck with EGW in the past, but this is the first set of Seekins rings I've used. They appear to be all that everyone claims about them; excellent.

Bipod: Harris S-LM. What else can I say? Can't really go wrong with a Harris.

Bolt: The first thing I did was to look for a replacement shroud. I wanted to retain the same lines as the OEM part, however, so I got one from Southern Ordnance, off of Ebay. I think that they now have their own site under the name Glade's Armory, but don't quote me on that. It's an aluminum shroud that is very close to the original shape, but a definite improvement. Also, more kudos are in order, here. I had Paul at Pro-Precision Rifles do the fluting and cerakote on my bolt. Yeah, I know it's mostly cosmetic, but the chrome look of the bolt, as it came, just would have stuck out like a sore thumb, so something had to be done about it. Paul had my bolt back to me in about two weeks, which was amazing. What's more amazing is the quality of his work. It really has to be seen in person to be believed. Thanks, Paul!

Bottom Metal: Here's another outfit that deserves applause; CDI Precision. Jeff and Pam were great to talk to and Jeff was more than willing to answer my questions. Not just anybody has a DBM system for Tikkas in long action calibers and, since there's little to no info available on them around the net, I was concerned. Jeff assured me that it was not going to be any trouble and, if for some reason I ran into trouble, he would take care of it. Well, he was right on the first count. The system works perfectly with AI .300WM mags (and I can fit six rounds in a five round mag, which is cool!). The only alterations that I had to do were to the feed lips of the mags (so subtle that you can barely tell the difference by looking at them) and a slight fix on the McMillan stock (more on that in a bit). Thanks, Jeff and Pam!

Stock: McMillan A5. 70% Turquoise, 30% Black. Aluminum pillars, Anschutz rail, left side flush cups and spacer system butt pad. I think this is the first (or one of the first) stocks that they have inletted for CDI's Tikka long action DBM. The only problem I had was needing to take a couple millimeters off the front of the magazine well inlet to get the mags to fit and feed. It was very minor and took me only 10 minutes (would have been half that, but I was being VERY careful!). The barreled action fit in the stock like a glove. I'm going to shoot it a bit before I decide on whether or not to bed it, but I wouldn't be surprised if it does fine, as it is. When I ordered this stock, they told me it would be five months. Well, today is seven months, to the day, from when I ordered it. That was kind of frustrating, but when you see comments from people who have ordered from them in the past, telling you to "order it and forget about it", that's good advice. It's expensive and the wait sucks. But damn it's a nice stock.

Here are some quick pics I took with my phone. By the time I got everything together, the sun was setting. I'll try to get better pics in the near future an post them in the appropriate threads and I'm sure there will be plenty of range reports, too!;)

Thanks for following along,

John

Last edited:
Thanks, guys.

That emerald green stock is gorgeous. What's her name? Really well done.

Good question. No name, yet, but I'm sure she'll develop a personality.

The "turquoise" color chip on McMillan's site looks a lot more blue than this. I had seen a couple other stocks that had Turquoise in them, but they also had lighter colors, too and I wasn't sure how it would look with black, only. I actually hoped it wouldn't be too blue. I think it looks perfect.

Thanks again!

John

Congratulations! Very nice looking rifle. I just got my a5 recently and it took seven months as well. It is in the shop having CDI bottom metal placed and the action bedded along with a precision recoil lug. I really like the color of the stock. I went with 50% OD green and 50% black. Can't wait to get it back and see how it shoots. I'm sure you will enjoy that rifle if it shoots half as good as it looks.!

very nice . . . . . .what did you do with the original stock?

I was thinking of the Tikka Sporter as well. But I can't get past the orange. And I'm a Texas Longhorns fan. I'd be interested to find out if you were able to sell the OEM stock. I liked the way it felt. I was thinking of putting a cerakote on the OEM stock.

Wonderful job.

I did sell the stock. I know some people have done a great job in refinishing them and I've seen at least one where the owner modified the magazine well area to make it more accessible. I'm just not quite as crafty as that!

Thanks again,

John

Congratulations! She looks great. I grew up with the 6.5x55 and have wonderful experiences with it. How does your rifle shoot?

Thanks.

I'm hoping to find out, tomorrow. The plan is to get it zeroed and start getting some chronograph data and working up loads. I have some loaded to get started, but think I'll eventually end up doing a ladder test with various powders and the 140 grain A-Max, for starters.

Bottom Metal: Here's another outfit that deserves applause; CDI Precision. Jeff and Pam were great to talk to and Jeff was more than willing to answer my questions. Not just anybody has a DBM system for Tikkas in long action calibers and, since there's little to no info available on them around the net, I was concerned. Jeff assured me that it was not going to be any trouble and, if for some reason I ran into trouble, he would take care of it. Well, he was right on the first count. The system works perfectly with AI .300WM mags (and I can fit six rounds in a five round mag, which is cool!). The only alterations that I had to do were to the feed lips of the mags (so subtle that you can barely tell the difference by looking at them) and a slight fix on the McMillan stock (more on that in a bit). Thanks, Jeff and Pam!

This is great news for me!! I have also a Tikka T3 in 6,5x55. I wonder if CDI Precision ships overseas..?

Congrats on the rifle. Looks great and I know it shoots like a lazer all day long. :)

Last edited:
Now THAT is a beautiful piece. Very well chosen parts to make a great rifle where "The whole is greater than the sum of the parts".

I have the same Bushnell ERS scope but with H-59 reticle in my HS Precision .300 Win. mag. Excellent scope.

This is great news for me!! I have also a Tikka T3 in 6,5x55. I wonder if CDI Precision ships overseas..?

Congrats on the rifle. Looks great and I know it shoots like a lazer all day long. :)
Check with CDI. I know that some guys I Australia are running their DBMs. I don't know if they've ordered direct, or if it was through an Aussie vendor, though.

I just came back from the first range session and will have a report up in a bit!:cool:

Thanks,

John

Now THAT is a beautiful piece. Very well chosen parts to make a great rifle where "The whole is greater than the sum of the parts".

I have the same Bushnell ERS scope but with H-59 reticle in my HS Precision .300 Win. mag. Excellent scope.

Thanks!

Today was the first time I've shot with the ERS. It was only at 100 yards, but I've already fallen in love with it. I have a couple of other Bushnells, but this one takes the cake!

John

Just got back from the gravel pit and I'm thrilled to be able to tell you all that this rifle exceeded my expectations for it's first outing. In fact, it's probably already more accurate than I am and I'm only getting warmed up!

The first thing I did, was to set up a target at 100 yards and boresight the rifle. I must be getting good at this, because it was within 1.5" of POA, with the first pull of the trigger! The windage was dead on and it only took a few clicks of elevation and I started shooting for a group. This first target is the first ten rounds ever fired from the rifle. All the loads today were using the Hornady 140 gr. A-Max in new (not even sized. just pushed a bullet in them) Lapua brass with Tula LR primers. All loads were seated to 3.150" COAL. Temp was 75 degrees with a wind of 5-7mph from about 3 o'clock. I should also note that, after the first group, I never once touched the turrets. All of these powders were shot with the scope on the same settings and using a center hold on the 1/2" dot.

Group #1 is ten rounds with 46.0 grains of Reloader 22. Pressure was good enough for a proper seal, but on the low side (which turned out to be the case for all the loads). Range is 100 yards and I fired from my portable bench using a Caldwell Rock Jr. front rest and a rear bag.

Group number 2 was ten shots using 45.0gr. of H4831.

Group number 3 was with 43.0gr. of Reloader 17. It's only five rounds, as I didn't have as much of this powder to work with, so I was being conservative.

Group number 4 was 43.0 grains of H4350 and was also five rounds, only.

Group #5 was ten shots using 44.0 grains of IMR 4831. With eight out of ten rounds touching, this seems to be the best group, at least on face value. Also, for the other groups, I waited 5 minutes or so in between to let the barrel cool a bit. For this one, I loaded them up and shot right after the previous group and the barrel was plenty hot, yet.

I had two or three called flyers throughout the session, but most shots felt solid. The stock was excellent and I tested three different magazines, as well. All of them worked perfectly. Given that this is only the beginning and I'm just getting a feel for this rifle, I am very impressed with these results. Velocities were in the 2500-2600 range with the highest being the Rel 17 load at an average of 2625 fps. It would appear that I have a lot of room to grow and I'm going to figure out my freebore now that I have some fired brass, then start looking into ladder testing some of these. I'll keep updating things as I go.

John

Edit: Some of my pics need to be rotated. Working on that, now!:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Congrats on a beautiful rifle that appears to shoot as good as it looks!

Is that the factory barrel contour?

I have a Tikka T3 hunter in .300 wsm that I need to start on sooner than later! Thanks for the inspiration ;)

Thanks, all.
Congrats on a beautiful rifle that appears to shoot as good as it looks!

Is that the factory barrel contour?

I have a Tikka T3 hunter in .300 wsm that I need to start on sooner than later! Thanks for the inspiration ;)
That is the factory barrel. The "Sporter" actually has a heavy barrel. I've not compared it to their varmint barrel, but I'm sure it's similar, if not the same.

Nice! You have a beautiful rifle that looks and shoots great. Congrats