• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Mystery Winchester Model 70 Action

zenbiker

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 15, 2009
Charlottesville, Virginia
A few years back I acquired a Winchester Model 70 rifle from my local shop's used rack at a very good price, then promptly put it into the back of my safe while I dealt with other projects. Today, I got around to pulling it out.

It is a match rifle, with irons, Palma type rear, globe front. Wood stock, Palma Rail, Handrest, etc. Parkerized acto and barrel; no bedding or pillars.

The action is inletted for stripper clips. It is push feed with a Sako type extractor in the right/bottom bolt lug. I thought it was a short action until I tried it in a stock inletted for just this type of action. The action was too long, tang to recoil lug. I held a Win 70 short action up to it, then a long action. This falls between the two in length. Did Winchester make a Model 70 action in between a long and short action size wise? These are usually good shooters and I was thinking about putting it in a fiberglass stock, but I don't know what to ask for right now.

Any wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Got any pics? I doubt they will help me tell you what you got, but it might help a more knowledgeable person on here! Plus I like to look at guns ;)

This might help: Pre-64 guard screw spacing is 7.450"
Post-64 long 70 guard screw spacing is 7.575"
Post-64 short action guard screw spacing is 7.035"

A few years back I acquired a Winchester Model 70 rifle from my local shop's used rack at a very good price, then promptly put it into the back of my safe while I dealt with other projects. Today, I got around to pulling it out.

It is a match rifle, with irons, Palma type rear, globe front. Wood stock, Palma Rail, Handrest, etc. Parkerized acto and barrel; no bedding or pillars.

The action is inletted for stripper clips. It is push feed with a Sako type extractor in the right/bottom bolt lug. I thought it was a short action until I tried it in a stock inletted for just this type of action. The action was too long, tang to recoil lug. I held a Win 70 short action up to it, then a long action. This falls between the two in length. Did Winchester make a Model 70 action in between a long and short action size wise? These are usually good shooters and I was thinking about putting it in a fiberglass stock, but I don't know what to ask for right now.

Any wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

It is possible that what you have is a Winchester Marksman, if memory serves they made them in .308, and 30/06. That was what they called their match rifle I believe.

Side view, length rear ring to front ring:

a3aduja4.jpg

Left side action:

sy3e4a6y.jpg

No proof marks on barrel!!

ma6u6aty.jpg

Bottom apparatchika:

y6areqym.jpg

Last edited:
Looks pretty much like a standard Post-64 Model 70 long action target rifle, measure the guard screw spacing. It was called the Winchester Marksman and McMillan makes pretty much an exact copy of that stock, called the Winchester Marksman stock.

Bad news friend, I have been a machinest for twenty plus years and you have a rifle with a major problem.
Your rifle has been exposed to a condition known a safe shrinkage. It is an affliction that results from neglect and the tight confines of modern gun storage devices.
In the past our gun cabinets allowed for the explanation and contraction of metals and the beautiful wood handles on our favorite irons. Due to today's ridged thermatically controlled environments in which we store our seldom used smoke poles we are seeing a new phenomenon "safe shrinkage" it is a result of these non-breathing hermetically controlled vaults that hide beautiful wood and steel from view.
Send me the rifle, I will massage, clean and restore to it's former luster free of charge. I will return it when it expands to full long action dimensions.

Address to follow!

Action seems similar to the International (1971) chambered in 308. But what you have appears to be the Target (1964 - 1971) chambered in 308 or 30-06, furnished with a 24 inch heavy barrel, no sights, target bases, heavy target style stock with hand stop?

From what I see in your pictures, it looks identical to one I used for a couple of years (70's), except for that top rail.

What is the barrel length?

Last edited:
Barrel is 26". Screw holes seem to match Long Action; in fact, it seems to be as long as a regular Win70 LA. This rifle came with a complete set of Redfield Palma Type irons and hand guard. Only thing missing is one of those strappy jackets, Michael Jackson Glove, and Mad Scientists glasses.

Last edited:
Be aware that obtaining all the necessary items to shoot this rifle properly ( strappy jacket, M.J. glove, yellow glasses, etc) will be a bit of an expense. Plus, as all the un-washed masses know, being a post-64 rifle it is really a piece of junk and hardly worth taking up valuable safe space with. If you want to cut your losses I will give you $200 or $300 for it just to take it off your hands and save that additional expense.
What ever you do, please don't tear it apart for a donor action or change the stock or anything. That will only cut into what little value it has left. Please let me know :).

P.S. You will also need a billed cap with an extra long bill and little droopy flaps handing down on the sides of the bill. Just another expense to consider.