• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Neck Sizing & OAL questions...

syme71

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 20, 2005
New Jersey, Exit 10 on Turnpike
Finally got my Redding T7 installed. New to rifle reloading Have a few questions.

Components are 308 Lapua brass/175 SMKs/Fed primers
I have Lapua brass. Using the TiN coated Redding .335 neck sizing die. How far down the neck should I be sizing? 1/2 way or just above the shoulder or ??

I'm shooting out of a stock 700P, 26" barrel. When I measured for max chamber length using the Hornady gauge, I get 2.936 OAL. Longest round I can get into magazine is 2.820. Is it normal to have this much gap and is there anything else I should be doing to reduce this? My assumption that minimizing space between bullet and lands is optimal, not the .116 gap I'm seeing.

What's the proper way to setup a full length sizing die? Redding instructions call for bottom of die to be touching shell holder. is this the right way to follow for bolt guns? Should I full length size every time?

Thanks,

Al

Re: Neck Sizing & OAL questions...

I'd size the neck completely if you're just starting out.

That OAL is fine to start with, the SMK is very tolerant of jump.

If you follow the directions that come with the dies, you will be overworking your brass and you will get head separation after relatively few firings. Get yourself a Hornady LNL Headspace gauge. Measure a fired case and adjust the die to that it is only bumping the shoulder back 0.001-0.002". As you adjust the die down, you will see the measurement grow before it shrinks. This is normal. Just make sure that you adjust down beyond the growth.

I think the best advise I can give you is do a whole bunch more reading on the subject of reloading. Pick yourself up a couple of reloading manuals and read them, then read them again.

I'll give you few responses to some of your questions and ideas to think about and research further. For starters, get some reloading manuals and read them, then read them again
smile.gif
1. I like to size approx 3/4 of my case necks. But this depends on a lot of other variables.
2. Load to mag length, your jump is ok and there is nothing you can do.
3. I can't answer you FL die question with the information provided (Not sure exactly what die you have or how many times your cases have been fired). What I do is first let the cases grow till you get resistance closing the bolt on a body sized case, then you know they have grown to fit your chamber (keeping an eye on not exceeding max case length, you may have to trim) With your factory chamber it might take 3 or 4 firings. Then I like to FL size everytime bumping the shoulder back .002. The idea is to have your case shoulder as close to the chamber shoulder as possible, without having your neck out into a danger area.

Good luck and have fun!

Sorry kombayotch, you answered while I was typing and goofing off. syme71, do as kombayitch said and size your whole neck.

I have a good selection of books and have read them pretty thoroughly. Unless I'm missing something, none have answered my specific questions that I've posted above.

I'm using the Redding Full length sizing die that came with the competition seater and comp neck sizer set.

Form or size once either only neck size or full...I read as your doing both? With Lapua brass your better off in the end just neck, tight shoulder. Softer brass won't care as much.
Brush the neck ID with clean washed brush or wash the sized case, the biggest variable before seating; all else Ok. Premature bullet ejaculation for jump is a factor. Not to talk neck tension, the die will work, just keep it clean in the end.
FL the brass at first and get into a brass prep, size, prep, load and seat routine. Find out what works for charge, V, and groups, then move on to neck size only. So many variables at first is harder to get a mental hold on. You have the options on hand.

If I'm interpreting what you're all saying correctly. For new Lapua brass...

1. Neck size only for new brass either 1/2 way or all the way to shoulder. Make sure ID is clean. (I'm using Hornady OneShot as lube. Light spray over open case mouths and on shoulder area)

2. Neck size until brass becomes difficult to eject

3. Full length size at this point, bump brass down .002. I have a Redding FL sizing die. I'm assuming this just be a trial and error exercise on screwing die down, measuring brass until brass comes out .002 smaller? Sorry for newb question.

For new Lapua brass: load, then shoot. Run the few that have dinged necks over the neck expander that comes with your dies. New Lapua brass doesn't require sizing.

Fired brass:

Neck size the full amount the bushing will allow. This means you screw it down till it's tight and then back off 1/16 of a turn before tightening the lock ring. Adjust this AFTER you have adjusted the die for the shoulder bump.

Before adjusting the neck bushing, adjust the die for the proper shoulder bump. Yes, it is trial and error to set this. I use the lock ring as a reference when adjusting. With a bit of practice, you will know how much to turn it for a 0.001" adjustment. I sometimes wrap masking tape around the top of the die and put a line with a marker at the cut in the lock ring and use that as a reference.

This is a good setup to get you started. There are many different ways to re-size brass and you will get a large variety of recommendations and opinions. Get your feet wet before you start trying all kinds of different reloading techniques and variations.