• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need a backpack for air travel. Maxpedition, or??

I have tried many, and eventually always end back up with a GoRuck for traveling. Current one is a 26L Heritage…. It’s the best one yet.

I got a Eberlestock Little Trick on sale a couple of years ago and it’s been great. Good size and doesn’t scream tacticool.
+1 on the Eberlestock, I have the similar F5 Switchblade. I'm sure there are better, but this one has been fine for me the past year or two. They have versions that don't scream tactical, and even the ones that have the slimmer sized MOLLE on them don't necessarily scream tactical either.

Haven't ever carried it on an airplane though so I can't attest to it fitting underneath the seat in front of you. Just eyeballing it looks like it could be persuaded into doing so.

Reactions: TACC
+1 on the Eberlestock, I have the similar F5 Switchblade. I'm sure there are better, but this one has been fine for me the past year or two. They have versions that don't scream tactical, and even the ones that have the slimmer sized MOLLE on them don't necessarily scream tactical either.

Haven't ever carried it on an airplane though so I can't attest to it fitting underneath the seat in front of you. Just eyeballing it looks like it could be persuaded into doing so.
my F5 switch blade fits under the seat in front. No issue

Reactions: jg6.5
I have tried many, and eventually always end back up with a GoRuck for traveling. Current one is a 26L Heritage…. It’s the best one yet.
I second this. I picked up one of their 21L packs in 2013 (It was a GR0, I believe), traveled multiple times around the world with it, carried it daily, and used it to the extent where I actually called in the warranty (they honored it). Now I have... another one of their 21L packs (a GR1) that I'm doing the same thing with. They are reasonably innocuous and are built quite well. When I'm in need of a larger pack, it's typically a Mystery Ranch Komodo Dragon or Sphinx. If I need a much larger pack the MR Mountain Ruck comes out. Regardless, the GR 21L pack is typically my day pack, and I've lived out of it for short periods of time when traveling in areas where I have access to basic necessities.

I did spring for a Goruck M22 pack recently because it appeared that it featured a number of features that made sense to add additional functionality as a hybrid top-loader in a pretty sleek form factor. Man, was I wrong: They did some really stupid stuff in my opinion and turned an otherwise good layout into a poorly-laid out commuter pack -such as not provide meaningful attachment points on the top flap, make certain compartments "single side only" which would cause weight distribution issues under load, and not provide proper strap routing to take advantage of the full functionality of the pack's inherent layout. I returned the M22 nearly immediately after receipt.

My philosophy is this: get a pack that does what you want it to do, and has the ability to assume a slightly larger role than you expect it to need to. When traveling -especially over extended time periods- a pack that will hold "a little more" but still maintains a form factor that you can fly in carry on with is priceless. Also, you absolutely pay for what you get when it comes to stitching quality and warranty: My Goruck packs never busted a stitch - the warranty item was the zipper, which they deemed a non-repairable issue- and I have not been gentle or kind to them. Same with the MR packs, and I've sent some back for patchwork to be performed due to wear. MR repaired it with no questions asked.

All this being said, I am beginning to prefer top-loading or "tri-zip" packs with easy access to the main compartment from either side of the pack via zipper as opposed to other means of access. Even better for me is if the pack has well-designed external pockets for quick-access items, but that's mainly because I like to separate what I need access to quickly or frequently from the main compartment. I've found that a 25-35L size pack will typically stow underneath an airplane seat when not packed full, and isn't too big for comfortable travel.

Reactions: EastBayRidge
These 2 look near what I'm going for.
Gallagator and Urban Assault 21

I had the Gallagator and it was excellent for what you are describing. My kid stole it a while back and after seeing this post I might have to by another.

I just bought a mystery ranch komodo dragon to use as a carry on. Time will tell if i like it. So far, i think i will

I bought a 5.11 COVRT18 backpack around 2015 and used it heavily daily for two years. It’s still my go-to for an air travel carry on. Lots of storage pockets, good organizational capability, a hidden pocket with molle webbing if you want to store a weapon off-body, and it’s very comfortable. As long as you don’t stuff it too full, it’s a good size for under the airplane seat. Not “tactical”, but very adaptable for any use.

Looks like they came out with a 2.0 version with a few changes, currently on sale for $89.49

My vote goes for hill people gear. If you want a little bit bigger pack I'm a huge fan of my aston v3 and if you want a smaller one for a more streamlined edc the Connor v2 is great

3rd to the go ruck. for a smaller pack the bullet rucker 15l seems ideal, and its on sale currently which certainly helps

Check out Evergoods. They make very nice packs that are very durable and don't look tacticool!

Inb4 y’all tell me I’m being too picky, i want to continue off this thread and see if you guys have any suggestions! Going on a multi-country trip and needing a “personal item” sized pack that can fit under the seat in front of me. Being prior infantry I can appreciate the modularity of having an assault pack or similar all decked out in molle webbing, but I’m not walking around with a freakin 5.11 tactical bag or GoRuck brick on my back just to stick out like a sore tacticool thumb.

Wanting a hiking pack (Osprey, Gregory, Deuter, Mammut, etc) that’s lightweight and has the airflow separation between the back and the pack itself. I’ll be carrying some camera equipment with me so some internal molle would be extremely beneficial, I’d like to be able to mount the camera and extra lens with pouches at the top of the inside of the bag and keep the other essentials at the bottom or in storage compartments. I hate the fact that most guys get a hiking pack and a massive camera cube, then you’re left with little to not storage for anything else unless you’re carrying a 50/60L bag. I know i can get a good hiking pack and sew on small laser cut molle panels on the outside for some elastic fasteners or whatever have you, but don’t need any massive pouches. Best thing I’ve come across so far is the Tasmanian Tiger Assault Pack 30, only concern is it may be a hair too big to fit under the seat in front of me even if i find a way to compress it down. Any other suggestions than that?

My thoughts so far are lets just say an Osprey pack, Grey Man Tactical molle panel insert, and sew on some VertX molle panels on the outside for smaller attachments and figure out a way to make sure the stitches are somewhat waterproofed. I’d just like to have more storage than one massive main compartment and nowhere else to keep things separated. I told y’all i was being picky but I can always fashion something together with some tips and tricks from you guys.

Thanks in advance. I’ll attach a few links for the things I’ve looked at and what I’m trying to accomplish.

My thoughts so far are lets just say an Osprey pack, Grey Man Tactical molle panel insert, and sew on some VertX molle panels on the outside for smaller attachments and figure out a way to make sure the stitches are somewhat waterproofed. I’d just like to have more storage than one massive main compartment and nowhere else to keep things separated. I told y’all i was being picky but I can always fashion something together with some tips and tricks from you guys.
You might be looking for what Lowepro makes:

https://www.lowepro.com/us-en/camera-bags/backpacks/

Additionally, I've put one of your thoughts in bold above because it bears mentioning: unless a pack is specifically manufactured to be waterproof, it won't be, and will at best be water-resistant, and if you are really planning on water being an issue, you should invest in equipment to protect the contents of your pack (either the cheap route with double-bagging plastic bags like ZipLocs, the less cheap route with purpose-built liner sacks, or the expensive and bulky route with dedicated waterproof sacks). Your best bet, depending on where you are traveling and if you are only looking at weather being an issue, is to either pick up a dedicated rain cover for the pack, or to use either a trash bag or cheapo Frogg Toggs-style poncho. Keep in mind that you can mix and match any of the above combinations for more or less coverage.

https://www.froggtoggs.com/

Also remember that, if you're flying, if you can cram the pack where it needs to be, or it looks like it will fit, then it will fit. I'd avoid over-thinking this, as I've brought half-packed, 60L duffels that have been cinched down tight onto small commercial flights, and didn't even so much as get a mean glance from the gate attendant or stewardesses.

I tend to stay away from the tactial makers because of the look and the weight.

Osprey
REI
ULA
AER
Evergoods
Cotopaxi

are the big ones among the travel forums/groups

Look at the Tom Binh stuff - great travel packs and very thoughtfully designed with easily accessible pockets. Made in Seattle.

I've travelled a bunch with the Synapse 19 and am thinking of picking up the smaller Synik.

Pricey though, but have used my different ones for almost 10 years now and they still look really good.

I second this. I picked up one of their 21L packs in 2013 (It was a GR0, I believe), traveled multiple times around the world with it, carried it daily, and used it to the extent where I actually called in the warranty (they honored it). Now I have... another one of their 21L packs (a GR1) that I'm doing the same thing with. They are reasonably innocuous and are built quite well. When I'm in need of a larger pack, it's typically a Mystery Ranch Komodo Dragon or Sphinx. If I need a much larger pack the MR Mountain Ruck comes out. Regardless, the GR 21L pack is typically my day pack, and I've lived out of it for short periods of time when traveling in areas where I have access to basic necessities.

I did spring for a Goruck M22 pack recently because it appeared that it featured a number of features that made sense to add additional functionality as a hybrid top-loader in a pretty sleek form factor. Man, was I wrong: They did some really stupid stuff in my opinion and turned an otherwise good layout into a poorly-laid out commuter pack -such as not provide meaningful attachment points on the top flap, make certain compartments "single side only" which would cause weight distribution issues under load, and not provide proper strap routing to take advantage of the full functionality of the pack's inherent layout. I returned the M22 nearly immediately after receipt.

My philosophy is this: get a pack that does what you want it to do, and has the ability to assume a slightly larger role than you expect it to need to. When traveling -especially over extended time periods- a pack that will hold "a little more" but still maintains a form factor that you can fly in carry on with is priceless. Also, you absolutely pay for what you get when it comes to stitching quality and warranty: My Goruck packs never busted a stitch - the warranty item was the zipper, which they deemed a non-repairable issue- and I have not been gentle or kind to them. Same with the MR packs, and I've sent some back for patchwork to be performed due to wear. MR repaired it with no questions asked.

All this being said, I am beginning to prefer top-loading or "tri-zip" packs with easy access to the main compartment from either side of the pack via zipper as opposed to other means of access. Even better for me is if the pack has well-designed external pockets for quick-access items, but that's mainly because I like to separate what I need access to quickly or frequently from the main compartment. I've found that a 25-35L size pack will typically stow underneath an airplane seat when not packed full, and isn't too big for comfortable travel.
Thanks. You save me some $$. Was considering getting an M22.

Thanks to the guys that recommended the Osprey Porter 46. I got one and it served me well on my last 4 day work trip. I strapped down three dress shirts that stayed wrinkle free way better than my very expensive suitcase could ever do. Who knew a backpack could be such an awesome travel bag.

Inb4 y’all tell me I’m being too picky, i want to continue off this thread and see if you guys have any suggestions! Going on a multi-country trip and needing a “personal item” sized pack that can fit under the seat in front of me. Being prior infantry I can appreciate the modularity of having an assault pack or similar all decked out in molle webbing, but I’m not walking around with a freakin 5.11 tactical bag or GoRuck brick on my back just to stick out like a sore tacticool thumb.

Wanting a hiking pack (Osprey, Gregory, Deuter, Mammut, etc) that’s lightweight and has the airflow separation between the back and the pack itself. I’ll be carrying some camera equipment with me so some internal molle would be extremely beneficial, I’d like to be able to mount the camera and extra lens with pouches at the top of the inside of the bag and keep the other essentials at the bottom or in storage compartments. I hate the fact that most guys get a hiking pack and a massive camera cube, then you’re left with little to not storage for anything else unless you’re carrying a 50/60L bag. I know i can get a good hiking pack and sew on small laser cut molle panels on the outside for some elastic fasteners or whatever have you, but don’t need any massive pouches. Best thing I’ve come across so far is the Tasmanian Tiger Assault Pack 30, only concern is it may be a hair too big to fit under the seat in front of me even if i find a way to compress it down. Any other suggestions than that?

Thanks in advance. I’ll attach a few links for the things I’ve looked at and what I’m trying to accomplish.

Osprey does the stand-off mesh the best of all the packs I’ve used, it actually has a considerable air gap between it. If that’s what you want they’re the way to go. I have one but I don’t use it much because I don’t like the layout of the pack and the mesh panel still presses hard against my back and I still sweat and soak my shirt so it makes zero difference.

I would just get whatever pack you like and put one of those backer panels in it to hang shit on. The MR Coulee 25 would be great for what you’re looking to do. It’s lightweight, has great external stuff pockets, Y zip and the belt is quickly and easily removable so you can stuff it in a pocket for normal travel and put it on when carrying a heavy load of camera equipment. I use the 40L as my large hiking pack but it would be too large for under a plane seat.

If you want a nice minimalist camera cube MR makes one of those too that isn’t big and bulky. It has just enough room for my 7D MK2 with lens and padding is minimal.

I recently bought a mystery ranch and I'm more than pleased. Its the district 24 model and they make two different sizes

Kifaru minikeg is on sale right now. It's an Alpha pack not cheap Chinese junk like what most are reccomeding here. Made in the USA and will last a lifetime.

Reactions: 30calDeath
I need a small pack to suppliment my carry on luggage. Something I can store under the seat in front of me, so size is somewhat of an issue. Big enough to hold a change of clothes, toiletries, and a few other odds and ends.

I have abt 4 other packs, 2 are old Maxpeditions, which are fantastic. One is nearly 20yrs old, and I use it daily. (Pigmy Falcon II) I've noticed Maxpedition has nearly doubled in price since I last bought one. I also don't want something that screams "TACTICOOL! SEARCH ME!" so, something toned down. It won't be a full time air flight bag, so something useful outside that role.

Thoughts?
I run a Kifaru Urban Ruck 2.0 as a daily bag, flight bag, etc. Been to the East Coast and back on 5 storm trips this past winter. Even when full it fits under the seat. Great travel bag IMO.

I use an Arc'teryx Khard 30 (now Assault 30) for my travel pack.

It's been to 6 continents and has been pretty bomb proof. Perfect size for air travel - fits under airline seats.

Certainly not a cheap pack, they would come up for sale from time to time at certain places but not sure if that's the case anymore.

My go to pack for years has been a Mystery Ranch with occasional Maxpedition or Osprey thrown in. For some reason my wife doesn’t like my tacticool bags and got me a Tumi Nomadic Backpack. It’s pricey and holy F does it have a lot of pockets/compartments. I like it a lot, just can’t purposefully beat the crap out of it like my other bags.

So, I just decided to purchase a Raptor Tactical MARVN Rucksack (https://raptortactical.com/marvn-rucksack/) which apparently dropped in price by nearly half. I picked up a SO Tech ARVN Ruck for the fun of it a few months ago, and it's interesting, but really only carries weight comfortably out to around 25lbs, and is not worth the money in my opinion when purchased new with the intent being for it to be used extensively.

I'm likely going to write an email to Goruck regarding making a top-loader that isn't geared towards yuppies (AKA one that uses G-Hooks for a closure system, incorporates asymmetrically-placed pockets for things like water, and chose not to create daisy chain points or strap pass-throughs in key areas). I love their packs and use one daily, but the M22's construction and layout is still bothering me four months after posting about it here...

I was looking for the same thing last year. When we travel by air we take one to 2 days clothes, toiletries and pills, small Macbook and charging stuff. I went with the North Face Router. It colla[pses fine to use under a seat or can get big enough to take a short trip with no issue. I got it in don't notice me black. nicely carries and is well guarded for a lap top or laptop and tablet. https://www.scheels.com/p/the-north-face-router-backpack/1486-NF0A3ETU.html

I've been looking at the 511 covert 18 or the maxpedition tt22 for daily use and air travel if I ever fly again.

man-threatens-the-plane-with-vest-of-explosives-FC36RF.jpg

never need another back pack again and they will love you at the airport .

I bought the Maxpedition Kodiak sling bag as a carry-on for our first trip to AK back in 2015. It’s my go-to carry-on/overnight bag for all my travels now. Maxpedition gear is built to last!

Traveled between 25 and 100% for much of the last 15 years (though now settled, wfh and not even a consultant, I have a JOB!) and carried a lot of things. I have Opinions on luggage etc.

My extra bag, esp for tourism with family etc to be on my back and under the seat if not all fits in the luggage or so on has for some years, and three continents, been a Grey Ghost Gear Lightweight Assault Pack.
I have long long had one (officially a Dockable Assault Pack but mine has no docking) in Pencott Greenzone but I got the black one because not camouflaged.
Pretty brilliant design, fits a lot more than it seems, great little features like the outside pocket has zips on both sides, can access the same pouch from whichever side. And loop velcro inside it, to store things or even put small velcro pouches as organizers, etc.
Mostly, very very comfy even when packed to the gills. Worn it all day in cities, up mountains, and more.

Before you buy the pack fond out size and weight limits for carry ons , all of these airlines are reducing size and weight limit restrictions.

Including checked baggage back packs. It went from 75 to 50 now down to 40 pounds. I had to really reduce what I was going to pack.

One of my favorites is the Samurai Tactical Wakizashi because of its excellent capacity and adaptability. Its load capacity is 24 liters, and its robust Molle webbing allows you to carry extra gear.

Hello fellow gun enthusiast.

• Haha
Reactions: din