• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing need a crossbow whole setup quick. please help s.o.s. asap

B

boomer81

after i finished my morning deer hunt today like i always do i take a few shots at the block black i have sitting near the gate of my ranch. after about 8 arrows dead on i heard a snap and had a flyer way off to the left. and i looked down and the lower limb on my new matthews hellium bow had splintered.

thank god i didn't get hurt. but my local shop said i was looking at a minimum of three weeks maybe longer. and I'm taking time off this weekend and next week to hunt. and it's looking like the rut may be kicking in here

i planned on getting a crossbow next year anyway but i need one now. what is the best combo package on the market right now. i can get one at dealer cost overnighted and here by friday. these brands barnett excaliber, carbon express,horton, parker, ten point, pse and winchester. i got until one p.m. eastern time tomorrow. i usually research like hell but im in a jam. my budget is pretty good. $1000 is the most i will go but like i said thats cost out the door with everything. but im saving about $300 on most setups. my dealer buddy gave me his log in to his distributor. also broadhead suggestions. all i got to do is hit the button the clocks ticking

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd go with the Ten Point. I've shot my fathers out to 65yds and its amazing how accurate it is. I can consistently hit a 4" bullseye at 50 yds. Anything under 50 is pretty much a chip shot. He uses the regular Rage broad head and has had great luck. Rage makes a crossbow specific broad head now so perhaps you should look into those. Good luck.

Any of the Bowtech, Mathews, or TenPoint xbows will be more than fine for this. I'm borrowing a 2010 Gen 1 Horton Recon myself while I put away coin for a "full retard" Bowtech next season.

My dad uses the Rage 2-blade 125gr heads and has smoked a couple deer through and through with them. I'm using Razorcap 125gr heads on the bolts that came with the xbow I have now. When I buy one I'll be going to the Rage 2's or Rage 3's just to stay consistent with my normal compound setup.

You can check out Barnett Ghost 410, TenPoint Invader, Excalibur 380, etc
the price is within your budget.

And generally, crossbow has 9 specs you should take into consideration:

1.Type
There are two main types of crossbows: the recurve crossbow and the compound crossbow.

2.Speed
The speed, or velocity, measurement of a crossbow refers to the rate at which an arrow is fired from the bow in feet per second (fps). Speed is the byproduct of a few factors including the crossbow’s draw weight, power stroke, and the weight of the arrow.

3.Draw weight
Draw weight is the highest amount of weight in pounds (lbs.) pulled when the crossbow is drawn. Draw weight corresponds directly with draw length, or how far back you will need to draw the string to fire the arrow.

4.Kinetic Energy
Kinetic energy measures the amount of energy, or force, the arrow carries in the air upon being fired in foot pounds (ft.-lbs.). An arrow carrying high kinetic energy will strike an animal with more force and with deeper penetration, so it is especially important for hunters to consider this specification when purchasing a bow.

5. Power Stroke
Power stroke is also referred to as draw length and measures the distance of the string from rest position to fully drawn posture. Like mentioned above, power stoke corresponds with draw weight and a crossbow with a longer power stroke typically requires a higher draw weight to bring the string to firing position.

6. Mass weight
The overall mass weight measured in pounds gauges the heaviness of the crossbow. Just like a rifle or regular bow, a heavier crossbow will be more difficult to carry long distances and harder to keep aimed on target when an arrow is drawn.

7. Length
A crossbow’s length is the distance (in inches) from the end of the stock to the furthest end of the crossbow, which could be the stirrup or the dissipater pads on the limbs; this is not an industry standard. A longer crossbow also normally makes for a heavier crossbow. For this reason, taller and more robust shooters may be comfortable with a longer crossbow, while shorter, younger, and female users may prefer shorter models.

8. Width
The width (in inches) measures the distance from end to end of the crossbow’s limbs when at rest. Just like with length, consider the width of different crossbows in proportion to your body. A wider crossbow may offset the balance of a shorter shooter, while a more compact model could constrain and be less comfortable for a more robust shooter.

9. Trigger Pull
Trigger pull refers to the amount of weight needed to pull the trigger in order to fire the crossbow. This is not an issue most shooters with dexterous fingers, but the average crossbow will have a trigger pull somewhere between 3 and 4 lbs.(3.5 lbs is the best), which is considered a safe and effective level.

Hope this could be helpful.

If you need a loaner, I've got a ten point cls phantom with arrows ready to hunt. Youth rifle starts here and I won't be using. It's a tac driver to 60. It's the complete package. Pm me if you need loaner.

I just picked up a ten point vapor. Really like it with the accudraw. My dealer had a Barnett ghost 410 but said they had sent multiple 410's back with problems. Said they never sent a ten point back. Very quick and I guess quite for a crossbow. It also has a second safety located on the forearm. I noticed most crossbows today have a finger guard built in. I should have patented that damn thing. 6 or so years back after shoulder surgery I used one for a season. Damn near cut my finger off poking it up too high, hurt very badly. I went to local ace hardware and bought some piece of plastic for screens and glued it to the riser as a finger guard. Looks just like what most are using now. Oh well!!

I just picked up a ten point vapor. Really like it with the accudraw. My dealer had a Barnett ghost 410 but said they had sent multiple 410's back with problems. Said they never sent a ten point back. Very quick and I guess quite for a crossbow. It also has a second safety located on the forearm. I noticed most crossbows today have a finger guard built in. I should have patented that damn thing. 6 or so years back after shoulder surgery I used one for a season. Damn near cut my finger off poking it up too high, hurt very badly. I went to local ace hardware and bought some piece of plastic for screens and glued it to the riser as a finger guard. Looks just like what most are using now. Oh well!!

+1 on the Barnett Ghost. My brother bought one and had nothing but problems with it. He ended up sending it back to get something in the firing mechanism fixed and selling it. He now uses a Parker Gale Force and loves it. I still use a five year old Horton Hunter Max it has never did me wrong and has killed me a buck all 5 years. Also my father uses a Horton now. He used a Skorpyd for a bit but the anti dry fire system malfunctioned on him in the field and after sending it back to be repaired it has sat in the attic for 2 years.

I bought a new matrix 380 before this season, it's the only crossbow I've owned so I can't really compare...this thing is badass. I've taken two deer with it already, the trigger is great, easy to cock/decock, and it's stupid accurate. I can't shoot groups inside about 40 yards without risking hitting my arrows. The first time I had it out to practice after zeroing I shot at 25 yards. The first shot was dead center and the second shot split my first arrow. Lesson learned. They go about 7.5 pounds and balance great. Also pretty narrow being a recurve. Just a really cool piece of gear.

Also both my kills were with 100 grain three blade muzzys. Fly similar to my field tips, both complete pass throughs. The doe fell and then ran about 40 yards. The buck was DRT.
I can't even pull a rage out of the quiver without the damn o-ring breaking or coming off...so the fixed heads are fine for me.

I went with the Stryker StrykeForce 380 package deal from a sponsor (Wyvern) over at Archery Talk. Shipped xtr a quick and best price I could find, to boot. It's a great crossbow with a great trigger. And they fixed the problem with the limbs...