• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need a new muzzle brake for my AR-15

rg1911

Gunny Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 24, 2012
Laramie, Wyoming
I have a Miculek brake on it, but still can't see where I'm hitting during matches, even when firing from a rest. This makes it a bit difficult to correct my settings.

Does anyone know of a brake that does a better job of controlling muzzle flip?

Thank you,
Richard

The Seekins ATC is VERY nice. I've been using one for a couple months and it is by far one of the best I've used in terms of negating muzzle rise, keeping you on target for faster follow-up shots.

See here: Muzzle Brake

I got mine from JoeBobOutfitters for ~$124 shipped if memory serves.

I really like the Seekins as well and it is not as concussive as some of the others like a Titan

Having said that, technique, gas system type, adjustable gas block, buffer system, etc.. can play a huge role as well.

What is the rifle setup?

I like my battlecomp and my surefire a whole lot. The battlecomp is on my UCIW and is not nice to be around, but sure doesn't move at all. They surefire is on my 12 inch lmt. Doesn't move much at all either and its a piston gun and I'm not a trained carbine operator. Might mean something, might not.

I love my battlecomp. I had a pws fsc556, and that one had too much concussion for the people around me.

+ 1 on the Surefires! I am up to 5 and counting. I know that one 3gun champion (someone here will know his name!) uses them.
Plus when you're ready for a can ...............................

Many thanks to all for the recommendations. I have some research to do.

One person asked about my setup. Standard lower with a JP trigger and hammer, A2 stock. Upper has a Mark Chanlynn barrel that is still holding its own after 3,300 rounds, heavy square-section fore-end, Leupold 6.5-24x Vari-X III that's been sent back for repairs.

Cheers,
Richard

don't know how it stacks against the ones mentioned, but i'm really liking witt machine's brakes, enough to get another put on my next rifle.

on my lightweight (under 9 lbs) .308 bolt SBR, i'm seeing impacts and feels more like a .223.

would probably make a .223 gasser feel more like a .17hmr or less.

AR 15 Muzzle Rise Eliminator [MRE] - $89.00 : Witt Machine, they have other models

also a fan of JP enterprises howitzer, though on a field gun it tends to collect debris.

I have really enjoyed the JP Cooley break on my 6.5CM. It is one hell of a break. Thinking of pulling all my Surefires and going direction on everything.

811871.jpg

Another vote for the Griffin armament muzzle devices, they have performed well for me on both my .308 and AR

Had effective reduction in flip with a Battlecomp. I've also heard great things about Surefire and probably what I'd try on the next build.

As others have said, surefire or battlecomp. Not sure you could go wrong with either. I run a surefire and love it.

With due respect, if you're having the issue using the Miculek brake, I question how much any brake is going to solve your problem. The Miculek brake is pretty aggressive reducing recoil - more so than a BattleComp (which I use pimarily). Something ported on the top and closed on the bottom will reduce the muzzle flip, which the BattleComp does quite well. The main thing is to be behind the gun squarely and solidly. If you're shooting offhand, that means shoulders squared up to the target, dominant shoulder rolled forward slightly and weight forward to drive the gun. If your shooting prone, get as square as possible, again with dominant shoulder rolled slightly into the gun driving it. At matches, it's often hard to be optimally positioned to manage recoil most effectively, but the AR-15 is pretty forgiving. My guess is that you are somewhat bladed in your position and the muzzle flips up and to the right. On my match rifle, I time the brake a little off-center to counter this tendency. (This only works with a brake with closed bottom and ported top.) Overall, I like the BattleComp, especially if you are shooting from an odd position on the ground like urban prone. The Miculek brake and others like it will excavate a hole often blasting dirt back into the face, which the BattleComp won't do. The BattleComp, on the other hand, does not reduce felt recoil quit as much, but is almost as effective. Good luck!

Edit: Also, if you shoot at night, the muzzle flash with the BC is almost nil. The Miculek, Surefires and such will produce spactacular fireballs!

Last edited:
Thanks guys! If you would like to try out one of our brakes and you don't like it i will take it back! I have not had a single person take me up on sending one back cause they didn't like it :)

Surefire if you want to spend money, Nordic Components if you want a cheap one. I run with the Nordic one, but I'm also good friends with a lot of them. Good people and it seems to work really well