• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Need a recomendation on some new glass

Kalman

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2011
Dallas, TX
I'm looking for some bad ass new glass for a 1000 yard rifle to hunt zombies with.....

just kidding...

I am wondering if anyone out there has direct experiance on head to head between Nikon's Monarch and Bushnell's elite 4200 line. Looking at the 4-16x power range on both and I'm leaning towards the monarch's but wanted to get some feedback if anyone owned both. It'll be primarily a paper/hunting rifle for under 500 yards. Obviously I won't need the 16X for hunting, that wish is more for paper groups. It'll be going on a 700 5R 308.

Re: Need a recomendation on some new glass

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dlxcupid</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what's your budget? need FFP? illumination? mil/mil? more info</div></div> Did you even read my post? I'm asking about the quality of glass between two specific lines.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BCP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Um, there are about 50+ vortex PST threads on the first few pages, check 'em out.</div></div> Did anyone read my post?

Evidently you put a joke at the top of a post and people stop reading...

Between those two then Bushnell.

If it were my money I'd look at other scopes, however I read your post and will not recommend anything else.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Between those two then Bushnell.

If it were my money I'd look at other scopes, however I read your post and will not recommend anything else.</div></div>
Thanks
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kalman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BCP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Um, there are about 50+ vortex PST threads on the first few pages, check 'em out.</div></div> Did anyone read my post?
</div></div>

Yes, I did. I've owned a few monarchs and currently have a 4200 FFP and my advice is to check out the PST line. That or get a fixed 10X like the super sniper HD, it's a great scope for the money.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BCP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes, I did. I've owned a few monarchs and currently have a 4200 FFP and my advice is to check out the PST line. That or get a fixed 10X like the super sniper HD, it's a great scope for the money.</div></div>
I looked at the PST line, however what moved me away from it was the price. The PST 4-16x50 SFT is about 650$ The Nikon Monarch 4-16 SFP is about 350$. I'd agree the PST is probably a better scope, but I'm not sure I'm good enough to notice a difference to make it 300$ better if I never shoot past 500 yards.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kalman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The PST 4-16x50 SFT is about 650$ The Nikon Monarch 4-16 SFP is about 350$. I'd agree the PST is probably a better scope, but I'm not sure I'm good enough to notice a difference to make it 300$ better if I never shoot past 500 yards. </div></div>

You have a nice rifle, save your pennies until you can get something better.

If you absolutely have to buy right now then get a super sniper 10X. Sturdy, reliable, cheap and the used market is very good so you'll never have a problem selling it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BCP</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kalman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The PST 4-16x50 SFT is about 650$ The Nikon Monarch 4-16 SFP is about 350$. I'd agree the PST is probably a better scope, but I'm not sure I'm good enough to notice a difference to make it 300$ better if I never shoot past 500 yards. </div></div>

You have a nice rifle, save your pennies until you can get something better.

If you absolutely have to buy right now then get a super sniper 10X. Sturdy, reliable, cheap and the used market is very good so you'll never have a problem selling it.

</div></div>
I think I'll see if I can't find someplace to view the PST tonight. One of the biggest problems I've been having in my scope search is finding places that has the model I want to compare side by side with.

I have a hard time believing that a Nikon Monarch or Bushnell 4200 doesn't meet the needs of most shooters. If a scope works, tracks well and doesn't have a history of breaking constantly, why aren't these two good enough?

I've had a Nikon Buckmaster for over a year on several of my rifles, mostly 308, with over a thousand rounds through it. The scope works and has held zero day in and day out.

I'm considering going to a 3-12x now and am looking at the Bushnell and Monarchs as well. I figure I can get away with lower mag since the clarity should be better.

Tell me why these aren't good enough for punching paper and hunting? Most users are not jumping out of airplanes or banging their equipment on each and every tree. I can also tell you a nearly 2lb Nightforce is not the answer for hunting.

Granted, on the flip side of things, I will buy an Aimpoint for my home defense AR since I will need that reliability if the need comes.

well look at it this way, PST better glass, PST the best when it comes to customer service, PST 1-2 hundred dollars more expensive but is way more worth it. I would rather wait a couple months and get a no hassle lifetime garentee all around better ffp, mil/mil scope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SmithE-6</div><div class="ubbcode-body">well look at it this way, PST better glass, PST the best when it comes to customer service, PST 1-2 hundred dollars more expensive but is way more worth it. I would rather wait a couple months and get a no hassle lifetime garentee all around better ffp, mil/mil scope. </div></div>

It's closer to $400 since I can pick up a Monarch second hand for around $300-$350 ($600 diff for the FFP Vortex). Plus, Nikons carry a lifetime warranty too.

What do most shooters need the extra clarity for? There's a certain point where a 16x can't resolve bullet holes anymore, regardless of clarity. After that, you need to go up in magnification, which begins getting into the bench rest range.

What difference can one expect between a Nikon Monarch and Vortex PST in resolving .30 cal bullet holes on a shoot n c? 200 vs 250 yards?

ETA: I can make out a person sized object at 1100 yards with a Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14x. What more do I need to do? Determine if they are wearing Lacoste or Polo?

A Viper pst has matching reticle and elevation/windage knobs. A pst also has a zero stop. Nikon has mil reticle and moa turrets. Nikon glass is exellent, you won't be giving up anything there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sniperaviator</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A Viper pst has matching reticle and elevation/windage knobs. A pst also has a zero stop. Nikon has mil reticle and moa turrets. Nikon glass is exellent, you won't be giving up anything there.</div></div> No question the PST is a nicer scope, I'm just not sure it's worth 300$ worth of ammunition or nearly a reloading kit more. I didn't realize they were illuminated reticles at that price though, the complete package is tempting me...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rchman92618</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
What difference can one expect between a Nikon Monarch and Vortex PST in resolving .30 cal bullet holes on a shoot n c? 200 vs 250 yards?

ETA: I can make out a person sized object at 1100 yards with a Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14x. What more do I need to do? Determine if they are wearing Lacoste or Polo? </div></div>

Well apparently you have it all figured out buddy. Not everyone here is as sniper-wise as you are. Clearly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Swan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rchman92618</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

ETA: I can make out a person sized object at 1100 yards with a Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14x. What more do I need to do? Determine if they are wearing Lacoste or Polo? </div></div>

Well apparently you have it all figured out buddy. Not everyone here is as sniper-wise as you are. Clearly. </div></div>

That wasn't my point. My point was, if you look at the most probable uses that the typical shooter, and typical budget minded person asking for advice on a new scope, would do with a scope, aren't most scopes beyond a Nikon Monarch/Bushnell 4200 overkill? Further, at 1,000 yards, I would think most shooters without serious trigger time would be lucky to hit a person size target, which is why I mentioned that.

Granted, I think that the Viper PST is one of the best feature to price ratios that I've seen and I'm seriously considering one. On the other hand, the budget part of me is saying "Do I really need that?"

Every time a person asks for scope advice, people seem to be quick to tell them to save up for a Viper PST or NF, but is that really necessary for most actual applications that a person will put it through?

I know I'm going against the grain here on this one, but there has to be a certain point where a scope is good enough. I think a lot of people would be better suited with a cheaper scope and more trigger time.

I have a Nikon Monarch 4-16 on a .223 and have been very happy with it. No, it doesn't have all that much adjustment range or the cool features like ffp, illumination, matching turrets, etc, but it tracks well and the glass is pretty good. It has killed quite a few prarie dogs and a few coyotes. If your not wanting to spend much money, it will probably work just fine.

From now on I am only going to go with Vortex Glass. even my buddies Swaz. spotter does not look as clear as the HD Razor glass.

even with my 1-4 Razor I can see 223 hits on steel at 500 yards

Vortex gave me back 10 years on my eyes

JF